Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by B. »

Not sure where the assumption comes from that there's an exception made between crime and legitimate business under Todaro. I guess if you want to view the rappresentante as a "crime boss" alone you can interpret it like that, but it's a limited and incorrect view of the position.

If a member/associate/friend/relative of a Family member has a legitimate business issue and needs help, they can go to him (or another member) for representation or resources (no question Todaro has a mountain of resources available in business alone). When the Magaddino relatives started a linen business in Buffalo a ton of people with businesses that needed linen switched their contract over to them and when the FBI asked them they said it was because the new linen business was run by "paesani" -- no indication they were strong-armed even if they did want to curry favor with the mafia leaders. A lot of businesses run by legit relatives of members prefer to do business within their network. It's not just member to member, but friends/relatives doing business with other friends/relatives and the boss still presides over this network of people.

^ That's not ancient history, it's simply how the process works.

Speaking of Pennisi, I was amazed when he said the Colombo Family is still sitting down for Arrow Linen over linen-related issues. John Magliocco is ancient and retired but Arrow Linen is still "with" the Colombos and gets represented by people who have probably never even heard of Ambrose Magliocco. The Colombos are also way more of a "crime family" than Buffalo.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:15 pm
Newyorkempire wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:03 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:56 pm
[/quote

Thats why I keep saying amalgamation/adaptation but none the less, a Mafia in todays era.
Or any other era. San Francisco, San Jose, Pueblo, New Orleans weren't much to look at from the outside in the 60's. It didn't diminish them in the eyes of the other groups who recognized them just like they recognize Buffalo and LA today.
+1
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:18 pm Not sure where the assumption comes from that there's an exception made between crime and legitimate business under Todaro. I guess if you want to view the rappresentante as a "crime boss" alone you can interpret it like that, but it's a limited and incorrect view of the position.

If a member/associate/friend/relative of a Family member has a legitimate business issue and needs help, they can go to him (or another member) for representation or resources (no question Todaro has a mountain of resources available in business alone). When the Magaddino relatives started a linen business in Buffalo a ton of people with businesses that needed linen switched their contract over to them and when the FBI asked them they said it was because the new linen business was run by "paesani" -- no indication they were strong-armed even if they did want to curry favor with the mafia leaders. A lot of businesses run by legit relatives of members prefer to do business within their network. It's not just member to member, but friends/relatives doing business with other friends/relatives and the boss still presides over this network of people.

Speaking of Pennisi, I was amazed when he said the Colombo Family is still sitting down for Arrow Linen over linen-related issues. John Magliocco is ancient and retired but Arrow Linen is still "with" the Colombos and gets represented by people who have probably never even heard of Ambrose Magliocco. The Colombos are also way more of a "crime family" than Buffalo.
You explained it better than me, so let me ask you a question most are wondering- why would Todaro want the headache to assume all these extra responsibilities which could legally jeopardize him when he's already a millionaire and don't need the stress or headache? Especially if he's not seeing kick ups and tributes left and right?
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:30 pm
B. wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:18 pm Not sure where the assumption comes from that there's an exception made between crime and legitimate business under Todaro. I guess if you want to view the rappresentante as a "crime boss" alone you can interpret it like that, but it's a limited and incorrect view of the position.

You explained it better than me, so let me ask you a question most are wondering- why would Todaro want the headache to assume all these extra responsibilities which could legally jeopardize him when he's already a millionaire and don't need the stress or headache? Especially if he's not seeing kick ups and tributes left and right?
Great stuff B. and Chris! The knowledge and insight the two of you have and can bring to a discussion is amazing.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Similar to the question of why would he stop making members, promoting people, etc.? What would the incentive be to stop? Legal issues for sure, but beyond that I'm not sure as long as he still had some of the necessary resources.

Well, his father and great-uncle were bosses of the Family. He grew up surrounded by Cosa Nostra leaders and members, you could say it was the entirety of his community at one point.

He went to college for hotel management and assisted his father's successful food and hotel businesses, yet joined Cosa Nostra and assisted his father with that too. Cosa Nostra is important to this guy... it's a core part of his identity as a man. I don't know the guy but does anyone think he would disagree with that if he was allowed to answer truthfully?
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Same reason guys like Frank Cali did and Barney Bellomo do. Castellano. Gigante. Gambino. etc. etc. etc. Extreme wealth doesnt negate criminality or the desire to be a leader in the Mafia.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Something funny, and I've mentioned her before, I'm friends with someone going on 15 years, we dated back in the day but have been friends longer. She's from Buffalo but has lived in both Cleveland and Elizabeth, NJ and she only knows there were Crime Families there because I told her. She's not juiced in so that's not a surprise. She did however date a local Italian from Elizabeth who never heard of it either. Granted these people never did a search for Mafia online but the point is, it's not widely felt to people not like us who aren't looking for it.

She's been to La Nova infrequently, loves the wings. Told her the Todaro backstory and she said "that's crazy" and that's it. I never asked her about the strip club, what's the name and I'll ask.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:51 pm Something funny, and I've mentioned her before, I'm friends with someone going on 15 years, we dated back in the day but have been friends longer. She's from Buffalo but has lived in both Cleveland and Elizabeth, NJ and she only knows there were Crime Families there because I told her. She's not juiced in so that's not a surprise. She did however date a local Italian from Elizabeth who never heard of it either. Granted these people never did a search for Mafia online but the point is, it's not widely felt to people not like us who aren't looking for it.

She's been to La Nova infrequently, loves the wings. Told her the Todaro backstory and she said "that's crazy" and that's it. I never asked her about the strip club, what's the name and I'll ask.

Wait a minute. According to several people here simply living in a city gives one insights into the inner working of the local crime family that people who don't live in said city can't possibly have. How can this be? ;)

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:56 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:51 pm Something funny, and I've mentioned her before, I'm friends with someone going on 15 years, we dated back in the day but have been friends longer. She's from Buffalo but has lived in both Cleveland and Elizabeth, NJ and she only knows there were Crime Families there because I told her. She's not juiced in so that's not a surprise. She did however date a local Italian from Elizabeth who never heard of it either. Granted these people never did a search for Mafia online but the point is, it's not widely felt to people not like us who aren't looking for it.

Wait a minute. According to several people here simply living in a city gives one insights into the inner working of the local crime family that people who don't live in said city can't possibly have. How can this be? ;)

Pogo
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Pogo
If someone's saying that I don't know, but I wasn't saying that. I was mentioning that a non-affiliated and non-Italian citizen lived in all three cities and from her perspective these groups were not visible. Cleveland's no surprise and Buffalo is the topic, but the DeCavs aren't up for argument. And even someone, a mainland Italian who lived in Elizabeth his entire life had no idea.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Pharaohs Gentleman's Club
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:03 pm

Pogo
If someone's saying that I don't know, but I wasn't saying that. I was mentioning that a non-affiliated and non-Italian citizen lived in all three cities and from her perspective these groups were not visible. Cleveland's no surprise and Buffalo is the topic, but the DeCavs aren't up for argument. And even someone, a mainland Italian who lived in Elizabeth his entire life had no idea.

It was tongue in cheek. Too many here like to play the "I live here and you don't" card to win and a debate.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:27 pm

Pogo

It was tongue in cheek. Too many here like to play the "I live here and you don't" card to win and a debate.

Pogo
That barely gets used and even when "others"' metric system is used it still doesnt matter. Some on this board like it both ways, if you know what I mean.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Well, mofos, I've been to La Nova and let me tell you guys living in Arizona or Montana the real deal.. it's nothing special. There's some fresh street talk for youse.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Pogo
Aimed and me and Rooster. We caught grief for it on GBB and still get it in here. Problem is I don’t use it to win a debate, but to make a point that sometimes people in WNY know and here things that make it easier to find information and keep track of what is happening. I am not going to discount my experience just because a couple people on these board don’t like me using it. My kids went to school and played ball with members and associated kids. I have talked with federal LE and journalist. People don’t have to believe me, but I don’t have to discount my experience because people say I shouldn’t use it.