Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

funkster
Full Patched

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by funkster »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:33 am
Antiliar wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:45 pm
These FBI lists aren't a guarantee. I've heard from a couple of sources that Johnny "Haircuts" Campanelli wasn't made. He just liked to hang out with made guys. BTW, his wife Marie C. Campanelli Nee De Angelis, who died in 2020, I wonder if she was related to Ronny De Angelis.
Based on what I have, Marie and Ronald DeAngelis weren't related. I have Marie Antonia DeAngelis as born in 1922 in Melrose Park to Giuseppe De Angelis of Acerra, Napoli and Carmella DeCola, born in Chicago to parents from Termini Imerese (what a classic Chicago combination). I have Ronald Eugene DeAngelis as born in 1933 in Melrose Park to Aguelino (Aquilino) De Angelis of Pratola Peligna, L'Aquila Province, Abruzzo, and Mary Ann Covone, born in Joliet to parents of Italian birth (I was unable to confirm their regional origins).

Johnny Haircuts, BTW, I have as born Giovanni Campanelli in 1917 in NYC. His mother was Elisabetta Quaranta of Ceglie de Campo, an urban quartiere of Bari. Per his death record, his father was Anthony Campanelli, but his younger brother Michael Campanelli (born 1920 in JC, NJ) listed Rocco Campanelli on his death record. There was an Anthony Campanelli who died 1923 in NJ who may have been the right guy. Based on the surname my guess is that Campanelli was most likely from Molise or Abruzzo. Either way, by 1930 the family had relocated to Melrose Park and Elisabetta had remarried Vittoriano Macino, also of Ceglie de Campo.

Even when we aren't sure if a guy was actually a member, I think it's useful to have these genealogies, as it provides a window into the wider social networks that Chicago LCN was embedded within. As we can still see from things like suspected current figures' FB accounts, these networks are densely interconnected and have now been reproduced over the course of several generations.
Interesting, how common is the surname Quranta?

Based upon the available evidence and given what we know about him I’m going to continue to assume that Ansani was made. He is in pictures with all the top dogs at Riccas daughters(?) wedding, that’s enough for me.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

funkster wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:04 am
These FBI lists aren't a guarantee. I've heard from a couple of sources that Johnny "Haircuts" Campanelli wasn't made. He just liked to hang out with made guys. BTW, his wife Marie C. Campanelli Nee De Angelis, who died in 2020, I wonder if she was related to Ronny De Angelis.
Based on what I have, Marie and Ronald DeAngelis weren't related. I have Marie Antonia DeAngelis as born in 1922 in Melrose Park to Giuseppe De Angelis of Acerra, Napoli and Carmella DeCola, born in Chicago to parents from Termini Imerese (what a classic Chicago combination). I have Ronald Eugene DeAngelis as born in 1933 in Melrose Park to Aguelino (Aquilino) De Angelis of Pratola Peligna, L'Aquila Province, Abruzzo, and Mary Ann Covone, born in Joliet to parents of Italian birth (I was unable to confirm their regional origins).

Johnny Haircuts, BTW, I have as born Giovanni Campanelli in 1917 in NYC. His mother was Elisabetta Quaranta of Ceglie de Campo, an urban quartiere of Bari. Per his death record, his father was Anthony Campanelli, but his younger brother Michael Campanelli (born 1920 in JC, NJ) listed Rocco Campanelli on his death record. There was an Anthony Campanelli who died 1923 in NJ who may have been the right guy. Based on the surname my guess is that Campanelli was most likely from Molise or Abruzzo. Either way, by 1930 the family had relocated to Melrose Park and Elisabetta had remarried Vittoriano Macino, also of Ceglie de Campo.

Even when we aren't sure if a guy was actually a member, I think it's useful to have these genealogies, as it provides a window into the wider social networks that Chicago LCN was embedded within. As we can still see from things like suspected current figures' FB accounts, these networks are densely interconnected and have now been reproduced over the course of several generations.

Based upon the available evidence and given what we know about him I’m going to continue to assume that Ansani was made. He is in pictures with all the top dogs at Riccas daughters(?) wedding, that’s enough for me.
Quaranta is not an uncommon surname and is most prevalent in Puglia. There are many Quarantas in Chicago, some from Bari and others from other regions like Marche. I have no idea if there is any relation between these Quarantas and Anthony Quaranta (assuming that’s who you’re thinking of).

Regarding Ansani, I’ve always assumed he was made but Antiliar’s comment just goes to show how much we have to assume or infer based on our judgment here. With Chicago we know that there were guys that one would strongly assume were made but it turns out they may not have been. Given that he died in the 60s, he may have been made but never confirmed by FBI sources as such. Barring the appearance of a document that hasn’t been examined yet, we’ll probably never know for sure.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I was just reporting what one FBI document said that was relevant and interesting. The agent who wrote was expressing caution, which is a good thing. In the lists of Chicago members Ansani was in fact identified as made, I believe by at least two people. Johnny Haircuts was also ID'd as made. I'm less certain about him because some have said he wasn't.

Does anyone have information on Joseph "Little Joe" Aiello? He was a cousin of the Chicago boss killed by Capone in 1931 and was a VP and business agent of the Hod Carriers Union in the 1950s and 60s. His age was 60-something in 1964. No other info on him. I would guess he may have been in the North Side crew. Also, Sam Aiello, brother or cousin of Capone's rival, was a member of the same crew, but I don't have more info on him.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:07 pm
funkster wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:04 am

Quaranta is not an uncommon surname and is most prevalent in Puglia. There are many Quarantas in Chicago, some from Bari and others from other regions like Marche. I have no idea if there is any relation between these Quarantas and Anthony Quaranta (assuming that’s who you’re thinking of).

Regarding Ansani, I’ve always assumed he was made but Antiliar’s comment just goes to show how much we have to assume or infer based on our judgment here. With Chicago we know that there were guys that one would strongly assume were made but it turns out they may not have been. Given that he died in the 60s, he may have been made but never confirmed by FBI sources as such. Barring the appearance of a document that hasn’t been examined yet, we’ll probably never know for sure.
Yeah, that's exactly why I was asking. I myself have never come across the last name Quaranta before other than Anthony and now this other person.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:51 pm I was just reporting what one FBI document said that was relevant and interesting. The agent who wrote was expressing caution, which is a good thing. In the lists of Chicago members Ansani was in fact identified as made, I believe by at least two people. Johnny Haircuts was also ID'd as made. I'm less certain about him because some have said he wasn't.

Does anyone have information on Joseph "Little Joe" Aiello? He was a cousin of the Chicago boss killed by Capone in 1931 and was a VP and business agent of the Hod Carriers Union in the 1950s and 60s. His age was 60-something in 1964. No other info on him. I would guess he may have been in the North Side crew. Also, Sam Aiello, brother or cousin of Capone's rival, was a member of the same crew, but I don't have more info on him.
Thanks for the further info on Ansani. While I assume that he was made, if at least two informants identified him as such, that's good to know.

In regards to Sam Aiello. It would be helpful to know for sure if he was Joe Aiello's brother or cousin. My understanding was brother, but I don't actually know if that's true. You probably already know that there was a Salvatore Aiello from Bagheria born in 1895 who was naturalized in Utica in 1915. I don't know if this is the Chicago Sam Aiello, however, as that guy seems to have lived in Utica later in life. In Chicago, there were several Salvatore Aiellos, including a couple born around 1895. Maybe it's a red herring, but I think that a possible match could be the Salvatore Aiello born in 1896 in Bagheria who was married to Vincenza/Isabella Mineo. He arrived in the US in 1920 bound for Tiffin, OH, but was living in Chicago by 1923 at the latest. He was naturalized in Chicago in 1927, at which time he gave his address as in the Ravenswood area of the Northside and his occupation as shoemaker. But there are two other Salvatore Aiellos (born 1894 and 1895) who are also possibilities.

With respect to "Little Joe" Aiello, the only info I have on him is what you already wrote. That he was a business manager of the Hod Carriers Union (in 1958 the Tribune claimed that he had been seen at a number of mob funerals in recent years). In 1941, the Tribune named Charles Aiello as the business manager of the Hod Carriers Union. Maybe it was the same guy, maybe a relative. Given the age of "Little Joe", there are two Giuseppe Aiellos that match. One was born on30/031901 in Bagheria (father named Orazio Aiello, living in Bagheria). He entered the US in 1920 at Boston and moved to Chicago in 1922. He was naturalized in 1935 at which time he lived on Natchez near Wellington in the NW side Montclare neighborhood. In 1935, however, he gave his occupation as grocer. The other Giuseppe Aiello was born 08/11/1901 in Bagheria, but entered the US in 1922 and was naturalized in 1928, at which time he was living in Humboldt Park on the Westside. To confuse things further, these guys then switched places, as on his WW2 draft card the March Joe Aiello was living near Chicago and Pulaski in Humboldt Park, while the November Joe Aiello was living at Diversey and Melvina near to where the other guy had lived. March Joe Aiello died in Madison, WI in 1970, and had owned a grocery store there at his time of death, so I think it's less likely that he's the Joe Aiello that we're looking for. November Joe Aiello died in 1979 in Cook County. I dunno, these Aiellos gave me a headache.
Last edited by PolackTony on Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

An article from April 21, 1928, said that "Two of Aiello Brothers Are Booked as Disorderly" - their names were Samuel and Salvatore Aiello - two names that can be shortened to Sam.

Yes, the informer said "brother": https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... _aiello%22
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:21 pm An article from April 21, 1928, said that "Two of Aiello Brothers Are Booked as Disorderly" - their names were Samuel and Salvatore Aiello - two names that can be shortened to Sam.

Yes, the informer said "brother": https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... _aiello%22
See the addition to my above comment. Thanks for the info.

The informant there is Maniaci, right? Given that he was in Chicago until the 1940s, I don't know that the Joe Aiello born 1901/03/30 who I identified above is the same as the one who was in the Madison family (don't know enough about him), but still significant that he moved there.

Given that Michele Mineo was a part of the Aiello faction, maybe the Salvatore Aiello who married Vincenza Mineo is the right guy?

EDIT: Wait, there were two Sam Aiellos? Just for the sake of it, I looked for a Samuele Aiello in Chicago and didn't find one. Maybe both brothers were Salvatore, or maybe one was actually a brother and the other a cousin?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:44 pm
Antiliar wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:21 pm An article from April 21, 1928, said that "Two of Aiello Brothers Are Booked as Disorderly" - their names were Samuel and Salvatore Aiello - two names that can be shortened to Sam.

See the addition to my above comment. Thanks for the info.

The informant there is Maniaci, right? Given that he was in Chicago until the 1940s, I don't know that the Joe Aiello born 1901/03/30 who I identified above is the same as the one who was in the Madison family (don't know enough about him), but still significant that he moved there.

Given that Michele Mineo was a part of the Aiello faction, maybe the Salvatore Aiello who married Vincenza Mineo is the right guy?

EDIT: Wait, there were two Sam Aiellos? Just for the sake of it, I looked for a Samuele Aiello in Chicago and didn't find one. Maybe both brothers were Salvatore, or maybe one was actually a brother and the other a cousin?
There was also a Salvatore Aiello born 1888 in Bagheria naturalized in Milwaukee in 1940.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:03 pm
I dunno, these Aiellos gave me a headache.
I heartily agree. According to some sources he had 7 brothers, but I think I've seen up to 11. Unfortunately the names aren't usually given. To make things worse there were cousins with the same names.

EDIT: I don't know if it will help, but I skimmed thru the Tribune for info on the Aiello family.
1927, May 29: Tony Aiello lived at 505 W Division St, Chicago; bakery at 473 W Division St, Chicago, owned by Joseph and Dominic
1927, Jun 5: Dominic Aiello's wife is Grace and they have 3 children
1927, Jul 17: Four bros mentioned - S.M., Joseph, Tony, Dominic
1927, Nov 22: Joseph has 4 bros; Andrew is 31
1929, Dec 29: There are 7 Aiello bros
1929, Dec 30: Andrew Aiello is another brother
1930, Jun 29: Carl Aiello is another brother
1930, Aug 21: Joe & Dominick (spelled with a K) live at 2532 Lunt Ave in Rogers Park

Chicago Gang Wars: X Marks the Spot, p 36: 9 or 10 Aiello bros.
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:11 pm
Antiliar wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:55 pm Per his FBI file, Robert Joseph Ansani AKA Bobby Taylor, was born to Arthur and May Ansani on Jan 12, 1904 in Chicago. While the FBI noted that Ansani was Joseph Aiuppa's partner and top lieutenant, it couldn't determine if he was a made member of the Cosa Nostra.
He married Grace Vernon on Sep 30, 1930 In Waukegan, IL. Sources on Ancestry.com say that Arturo Ansani was born in Spianate, Lucca, Toscana, Italy, and his wife Maria Petronilla Flosi was born in Italy. Robert Ansani was born Roberto Remigio Agostino Ansani and later changed his name (not sure if he legally changed it) to Robert Joseph Ansani. His mother was probably born in Pariana, Lucca, Toscana, since that's where her parents and siblings are from.

The Robert Remigio part threw me off. I knew his birth name but forgot it.
Thanks for the info on his parents comuni of origin. Those are the ones that I had documented but I wasn’t 100% (much less familiar with Tuscany than with the South).

I’ve always assumed that Ansani was made due to his status as Aiuppa’s right-hand, but as we know this kind of standing isn’t always a reliable indicator of membership with Chicago.
That fact is that we can't prove membership for most Outfit and Chicago Mafia members, so the best we can do is have a high degree of certainty. Like in this document from 1963 the FBI had a likely members list: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... rch=Ansani. Then in 1968 they had a list where Chicago members were confirmed by New York members (or those with New York designations): https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... rch=Ansani and this list based on those with Chicago designations: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... rch=Ansani
Louis Bombacino was the source in those FBI lists which identified Ansani as an LCN member. However, I doubt Bombacino was an LCN member. As far as I've seen, Louis Fratto was the only LCN member to identify Bombacino, but he lived in Iowa. I'm not stating Ansani wasn't an LCN member. I'm only pointing out the evidence used by the FBI to put him on their membership list might be weak.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:39 pm
I heartily agree. According to some sources he had 7 brothers, but I think I've seen up to 11. Unfortunately the names aren't usually given. To make things worse there were cousins with the same names.

EDIT: I don't know if it will help, but I skimmed thru the Tribune for info on the Aiello family.
1927, May 29: Tony Aiello lived at 505 W Division St, Chicago; bakery at 473 W Division St, Chicago, owned by Joseph and Dominic
1930, Aug 21: Joe & Dominick (spelled with a K) live at 2532 Lunt Ave in Rogers Park

One family tree I saw had 12 Aiello children, of which 10 were male: Humberto, Antonino, Roberto, Nunzio, Salvatore, Andrea, Giuseppe, Domenico, Carlo, Sam, and Mariano. I don't trust these genealogies so I looked into it further myself.

We know that Giuseppe Aiello was born 1890 in Bagheria. His father was Carlo Aiello of Bagheria, son of Nunzio Aiello and Antonina Trippi. Carlo Sr arrived at NYC in 1920 bound for Chicago where his son Andrea lived at 224 Locust St (Carlo was a widower. I've seen his wife claimed to have been Antonina or "Catherine", and she allegedly died in the 1890s). Carlo Aiello Sr died in 1923 in Chicago, and his occupation was listed as "fruit business".

Andrea was born 1888 and in 1910 was living as a boarder with Giuseppe and Nunzio in Utica. In his WW1 draft card, Andrea was living in Chicago on Townsend St. His birthdate matches the Andrew Aiello who died in 1958 in Santa Clara, CA. This should be the same Andrew Aiello living in San Jose in 1940 with his wife Jennie (Vincenzina/Jennie Latona married Andrea Aiello in Chicago in 1913).

Nunzio Aiello I'm pretty sure was the one who died in 1976 in Elmwood Park (born 1886). On his WW2 draft card, he lived at 445 W Division and owned a candy store (see Mugshots).

Mariano Aiello was born in 1891 and entered the US at NYC in 1910 bound for Buffalo, declaring his brother Nunzio as his person in the US and father Carlo in Sicily. In 1915 he married Maria Tirri in Utica. In 1930 he was naturalized in Chicago, listing his address as 445 W Division and occupation as tailor. For his WW2 draft card, he was living in San Jose, and died in 1965 in Santa Clara.

The Salvatore Aiello who was naturalized in Milwaukee in 1940 was born in 1888 and died in Chicago in 1958. On his death record, his parents were listed as Alberto Aiello and S Mineo. So if he was the Sam Aiello that Maniaci referred to who transferred to Milwaukee and back to Chicago, then he was most likely Joe Aiello's cousin.

In 1910 there was a Roberto Aiello, born about 1881, living in Utica with his wife Lucrezia. Not sure if this guy ever came to Chicago.

Domenico Aiello was born 1893. In 1927 he was naturalized in Chicago, his wife was Grazia and address at 473 W Division. Occupation was "confectionary"/baker. He arrived at NYC in 1922 bound for Chicago, where his father Carlo lived. His person in Sicily was father-in-law Antonio Speciale. Documents for their children state that Grazia's maiden name was Speciale. In 1931 (unsurprisingly) Domenico went to Sicily for several months with Grazia and their kids, listing brother Antonino in Bagheria as his contact. He declared his address as 330 Goethe St. A Domenico Aiello matching his birthdate died in 1941 in Santa Clara.

Carlo Aiello was born in 1895. He arrived at NYC in 1921 bound for his father Carlo in Chicago, where Carlo Jr married Rosa Perdento (or Pedenza) of Borghetto. In1930 Carlo and Rosa lived at Townsend and Oak, and he was working as a grocery store clerk. In 1940 he listed his address on N Hudson, and then on his WW2 draft card at Oak and Cambridge. Carlo died in 1979 in Chicago. He was living near Elston and Meade in the Far NW side Norwood Park neighborhood and his occupation was listed as maintenance man.

I had suspected that the Charles Aiello that the Tribune had as Hod Carriers business manager in 1941 might be Carlo. Doesn't seem to have been the case though. In that 1941 article, the Tribune had that Aiello as the father-in-law of union local business agent Elmer Mirabella. Elmer Mirabella married Julia Aiello in 1931, and Carlo Aiello didn't have a daughter of the right age or name. Julia Aiello was born 1912 in Chicago Vincenzo "Vincent Charles" Aiello and Vita Tripoli of Bagheria, married in Chicago in 1907. Vincenzo was the former secretary and business manager of the Hod Carriers and died in 1958 in Chicago. He was born 1873 and I have no idea if he was directly related to the other Aiellos. To further confuse things, he also had a brother named Sam. Per his death record, his father was Albert Aiello and mother Maria Mineo. So this guy seems to have been the brother of the Salvatore Aiello naturalized in Milwaukee in 1940 noted above.
Last edited by PolackTony on Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Ed wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:36 pm
Louis Bombacino was the source in those FBI lists which identified Ansani as an LCN member. However, I doubt Bombacino was an LCN member. As far as I've seen, Louis Fratto was the only LCN member to identify Bombacino, but he lived in Iowa. I'm not stating Ansani wasn't an LCN member. I'm only pointing out the evidence used by the FBI to put him on their membership list might be weak.
I agree. There are a lot of names of individuals ID'd as member who we know were not, such as Frankie "the X" Esposito and others. However, for reasons that some stated in this thread I think we can be confident that Ansani was made.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:38 pm

One family tree I saw had 12 Aiello children, of which 10 were male: Humberto, Antonino, Roberto, Nunzio, Salvatore, Andrea, Giuseppe, Domenico, Carlo, Sam, and Mariano. I don't trust these genealogies so I looked into it further myself.

We know that Giuseppe Aiello was born 1890 in Bagheria. His father was Carlo Aiello of Bagheria, son of Nunzio Aiello and Antonina Trippi. Carlo Sr arrived at NYC in 1920 bound for Chicago where his son Andrea lived at 224 Locust St (Carlo was a widower. I've seen his wife claimed to have been Antonina or "Catherine", and she allegedly died in the 1890s). Carlo Aiello Sr died in 1923 in Chicago, and his occupation was listed as "fruit business".

Andrea was born 1888 and in 1910 was living as a boarder with Giuseppe and Nunzio in Utica. In his WW1 draft card, Andrea was living in Chicago on Townsend St. His birthdate matches the Andrew Aiello who died in 1958 in Santa Clara, CA. This should be the same Andrew Aiello living in San Jose in 1940 with his wife Jennie (Vincenzina/Jennie Latona married Andrea Aiello in Chicago in 1913).

Nunzio Aiello I'm pretty sure was the one who died in 1976 in Elmwood Park (born 1886). On his WW2 draft card, he lived at 445 W Division and owned a candy store (see Mugshots).

Mariano Aiello was born in 1891 and entered the US at NYC in 1910 bound for Buffalo, declaring his brother Nunzio as his person in the US and father Carlo in Sicily. In 1915 he married Maria Tirri In 1930 he was naturalized in Chicago, listing his address as 445 W Division and occupation as tailor. For his WW2 draft card, he was living in San Jose, and died in 1965 in Santa Clara.

The Salvatore Aiello who was naturalized in Milwaukee in 1940 was born in 1888 and died in Chicago in 1958. On his death record, his parents were listed as Alberto Aiello and S Mineo. So if he was the Sam Aiello that Maniaci referred to who transferred to Milwaukee and back to Chicago, then he was most likely Joe Aiello's cousin.

In 1910 there was a Roberto Aiello, born about 1881, living in Utica with his wife Lucrezia. Not sure if this guy ever came to Chicago.

Domenico Aiello was born 1893. In 1927 he was naturalized in Chicago, his wife was Grazia and address at 473 W Division. Occupation was "confectionary"/baker. He arrived at NYC in 1922 bound for Chicago, where his father Carlo lived. His person in Sicily was father-in-law Antonio Speciale. Documents for their children state that Grazia's maiden name was Speciale. In 1931 (unsurprisingly) Domenico went to Sicily for several months with Grazia and their kids, listing brother Antonino in Bagheria as his contact. He declared his address as 330 Goethe St. A Domenico Aiello matching his birthdate died in 1941 in Santa Clara.

Carlo Aiello was born in 1895. He arrived at NYC in 1921 bound for his father Carlo in Chicago, where Carlo married Rosa Perdento (or Pedenza) of Borghetto. In1930 Carlo and Rosa lived at Townsend and Oak, and he was working as a grocery store clerk. In 1940 he listed his address on N Hudson, and then on his WW2 draft card at Oak and Cambridge. Carlo died in 1979 in Chicago. He was living near Elston and Meade in the Far NW side Norwood Park neighborhood and his occupation was listed as maintenance man.

I had suspected that the Charles Aiello that the Tribune had as Hod Carriers business manager in 1941 might be Carlo. Doesn't seem to have been the case though. In that 1941 article, the Tribune had that Aiello as the father-in-law of union local business agent Elmer Mirabella. Elmer Mirabella married Julia Aiello in 1931, and Carlo Aiello didn't have a daughter of the right age or name. Julia Aiello was born 1912 in Chicago Vincenzo "Vincent Charles" Aiello and Vita Tripoli of Bagheria, married in Chicago in 1907. Vincenzo was the former secretary and business manager of the Hod Carriers and died in 1958 in Chicago. He was born 1873 and I have no idea if he was directly related to the other Aiellos. To further confuse things, he also had a brother named Sam. Per his death record, his father was Albert Aiello and mother Maria Mineo. So this guy seems to have been the brother of the Salvatore Aiello naturalized in Milwaukee in 1940 noted above.
Once again, fantastic researching.
CT 1956Jul21 Vincent Charles Aiello obit - Sam Aiello.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:16 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:38 pm

Mariano Aiello was born in 1891 and entered the US at NYC in 1910 bound for Buffalo, declaring his brother Nunzio as his person in the US and father Carlo in Sicily. In 1915 he married Maria Tirri In 1930 he was naturalized in Chicago, listing his address as 445 W Division and occupation as tailor. For his WW2 draft card, he was living in San Jose, and died in 1965 in Santa Clara.

Carlo Aiello was born in 1895. He arrived at NYC in 1921 bound for his father Carlo in Chicago, where Carlo married Rosa Perdento (or Pedenza) of Borghetto. In1930 Carlo and Rosa lived at Townsend and Oak, and he was working as a grocery store clerk. In 1940 he listed his address on N Hudson, and then on his WW2 draft card at Oak and Cambridge. Carlo died in 1979 in Chicago. He was living near Elston and Meade in the Far NW side Norwood Park neighborhood and his occupation was listed as maintenance man.

Once again, fantastic researching.

CT 1956Jul21 Vincent Charles Aiello obit - Sam Aiello.jpg
Coming from you, I really appreciate the kind words brother.

Yep, that’s the obit for Vincenzo Aiello. Given that they had the same name for their father and same maternal surname, I think it’s a solid bet that his brother Sam was the Salvatore Aiello naturalized in Milwaukee who then died in Chicago in 1958. While I don’t have proof of their connection, I think it’s also a good assumption that they were relatives of Joe Aiello. “Little Joe” seems to have been a relative and I doubt it was coincidence that two Aiello from Bagheria were business manages for the union like that.

While that Salvatore Aiello seems to match the Sam Aiello described by Maniaci, one would think that Maniaci would be aware if he had been Joe Aiellos cousin and not his brother, given that he had been a Milwaukee member and that Maniaci was a knowledgeable and astute guy on the history of the mafia in the region. Maybe people just said he was Joe’s brother. Or maybe there’s another guy that I wasn’t able to identify.

Another thing that’s interesting is that several of the Aiello brothers relocated to San Jose while others stayed in Chicago. Maybe the ones who stayed weren’t really connected, or maybe they made peace in Chicago and weren’t bothered. Is there any indication that there were Aiellos in the San Jose family, or anyone from Bagheria? I know very little about that family but one wonders how and why they ended up there.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The Sciortino brothers from Bagheria were San Jose leaders circa 1940s. Onofrio Sciortino was boss. The Aiellos/Ajellos are hard to untangle -- I tried in Utica/Frankfort and there are a ton of the same names and everyone ran in the same circles. They used both the Aiello/Ajello spellings so if you don't find something for one check the other.