Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

thekiduknow
Full Patched

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by thekiduknow »

thekiduknow wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:14 pm
Salvatore "Bill" Bonanno
-ActingCharles Battaglia(AZ)[Some of these guys may have been made later on]
  1. Rosario “Russ” Andalaro
  2. Antonio Bello(? San Diego Member)
  3. Antonio Badalamenti
  4. Salvatore Bruno
  5. Antonio Cacioppo
  6. Michael Cosenza
  7. Peter Cinquemani
  8. Anthony Cusenza
  9. Joseph Genovese
  10. Vito Mule
  11. Carl Simari
Suspected:
Angelo Monte
Giuseppe Titone

Unsure:
Felix Mule
Editing the Arizona crew, Bill should still be the captain in 1963. However, he moved back to New York around the fall when his wife left. Later during the split, Bill would say that Battaglia ran things in Arizona, so I'd guess he was acting when Bill left.

I also removed Salvatore Spinelli, as HK pointed out he was too young to likely be made at this time. Names in red I added after looking at the Arizona crew thread/JD’s 1979 thread. Titone and Monte were listed as "suspected members" in a late 60s report, but I think the source that identified them was a Bonanno Arizona member, so they were likely made. When is another question.

Some questions about the Arizona members:

There's a Thomas Genovese listed as suspected member, is he somehow related to the Arizona Genovese?

Not sure when Giuseppe Venza transferred back to San Francisco, as he's listed as a member by 1967, anyone know if he was still in Arizona in 1963? Same thing with Prospect Mule. I think he was already in California by 1963, but not sure if he was officially with San Jose by that point. There’s also Felix Mule listed by JD, but I’m not sure.
Selig
On Record

Post by Selig »

Can I just reiterate what multiple people have already said. This thread is fascinating and a clear example why this board is by far the best mob related forum out there. Kudos all!
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

B, not sure if you had definite proof already, but the marriage record of Nicolo Marchese and Filomena Schiro confirm she was indeed Nicola’s sister…

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Didn't have proof, only strong suspicion but that settles it. Thanks!
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Quick correction, the unidentified member wasn't named Frank Citrano, but simply used the same nickname "Chick Wilson". Was confused by redaction but saw an unredacted version that clears up that their nickname was the same not their true name.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:54 pm Quick correction, the unidentified member wasn't named Frank Citrano, but simply used the same nickname "Chick Wilson". Was confused by redaction but saw an unredacted version that clears up that their nickname was the same not their true name.
"Chick Wilson" sounds like a jazz musician.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Here's what I have currently for the admin of the Bonannos circa 1963:

Boss: Joe Bonanno
-Acting Boss: John "Johnny Burns" Morales/Frank LaBruzzo(became AB in December)
Underboss: Vacant
-Acting Underboss: John "Johnny Burns" Morales
Consigliere: John Tartamella(semi-retired due to strokes and poor health)
-Acting Consigliere: Bill Bonanno(Acting by the end of 1963, still need to see when he moved back to NY and started taking over Tartamella's duties)

Also, correcting the previous chart, Valvo was a captain by 1963, having took over Tartamella's "crew" around July 1962.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

thekiduknow wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:14 pm Angelo Caruso(East Village/NJ)
  1. Antonio “Nino” Busciglio(NJ)
  2. Liborio "Leo" Carlino(UI/IP)
  3. Angelo Salvo(NJ)
Adding Leo Carlino under Caruso. Carlino was sentenced to a year and a day for income tax fraud in December 1963. Bill Bonanno was overheard on the LaBruzzo bug saying that a redacted member who was serving that same sentence was still under Caruso in February of 1964.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Carlino would fit under Caruso given a lot of that crew came from that part of Agrigento. Also might indicate he was connected to the Colorado Family given he was from Burgio and the Colorado Carlinos were from a neighboring town along with most of the CO Family. Colorado boss Jim Colletti was ID'd by an informant as a "button" when he lived in NYC/NJ and he hung out at Caruso's Shoreview club -- makes sense Jim Colletti was with that crew given his cousin Joe was the capodecina before Caruso and crew members/leaders like Caruso and DiSalvo maintained telephone contact with him after Colletti moved to Colorado.

Wonder if Carlino can be directly connected to Colorado.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

B. wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:50 pm Carlino would fit under Caruso given a lot of that crew came from that part of Agrigento. Also might indicate he was connected to the Colorado Family given he was from Burgio and the Colorado Carlinos were from a neighboring town along with most of the CO Family. Colorado boss Jim Colletti was ID'd by an informant as a "button" when he lived in NYC/NJ and he hung out at Caruso's Shoreview club -- makes sense Jim Colletti was with that crew given his cousin Joe was the capodecina before Caruso and crew members/leaders like Caruso and DiSalvo maintained telephone contact with him after Colletti moved to Colorado.

Wonder if Carlino can be directly connected to Colorado.
Didn't think about that, it makes a lot of sense, thanks for the added context.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Anyone else you know of with the Colletti-Caruso crew pre-1970s?

Antonino Busciglio (Alessandria della Rocca, AG)
Angelo Caruso (Leonforte, Enna)
Leo Carlino (Burgio, AG)
Nicola Ciccone (Casteltermini, AG)
Joseph Colletti (Lucca Sicula, AG)
Vincenzo "Jim" Colletti (Lucca Sicula, AG)
Angelo DiSalvo (Alessandria della Rocca, AG)

- Possibly Vincent Ciccone (Casteltermini), Pietro Mandala/Mandella (Monreale, Palermo), and Leo Gardini who LCNBios ID'd as close associates in early decades. Gardini might be the Leo Giardina later ID'd as a Bonanno member in the deceased column of an induction list.

- Giovanni Ligammari (Alessandria della Rocca) was later linked with them, wonder if he was a later captain of the crew for a time given Massino said he was a captain from Jersey. JD said the later NJ member Joe Taormina started with them and was from AG.

- Caruso, DiSalvo, Busciglio were very close to the DeCavalcantes and Sam refers to a son/nephew of one of the Ciccones on his tapes who he says was Caruso's godson that died. The DeCavalcantes notified him of the death. The Rizzo DeCavalcantes are said to come from Monreale like Mandala/Mandella and Angelo Caruso was one of Frank DeCavalcante's best friends which reportedly influenced Sam to get involved in the Bonanno dispute. Nick Delmore was from Enna like Caruso too, nearby towns. The AG crew members were tied to the Ribera guys and Busciglio worked for their Local 394 -- his murder may have been linked to a dispute with a DeCavalcante figure.

- Close to the Colorado Family which Jim Colletti took over. Another strong Agrigento/paesani tie.

Along with Nick Alfano's crew, a mystery how these Agrigento guys in atypical Bonanno territories got affiliated.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Not that I think of right now. I’ll look through Caruso’s file more and see if there’s any other hints, and maybe look at Salvo’s file.

I’ll check into Leo Giardina and see if he might fit. LCNBios said that Vincent Ciccone “associated” with the Bonannos, but not sure if he meant literally as an associate, or if he may have been a member.

Besides Alfano, Michael Sabella and Anthony DiGiovanna were captains from Agrigento during this time. I wonder if they were as tight nit as the Gambino Agrigento guys.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Leo Giardina was/is hard to trace, but here's what I found:

Born Elia Giardina in St Louis, Missouri to Gioacchino “Jake”, and Maria Giardina. When traveling back to the US, he put his father down as living in Bisacquino, Palermo, so that might be where they were from. They both were on an INS file for "smuggling", so Jake may have been deported back to Sicily.

There's a marriage record in 1935 for a Elia Giardina and a Salvatrice Noto. Bonanno member Nicola Ciccone married a Maria Noto, whose brother Leo was caught up in that kidnapping case that involve Giardina, Vincenzo Ciccone, and Joseph Colletti that LCNBios wrote about. Those Notos(who also came from Bisacquino) lived in the same section in Brooklyn that Giardina reportedly lived However, the Salvatrice Noto who lived at the same address as his 1938 manifest was listed as divorced in 1940, and her children are too old to have been our Giardina's if they married in 1935. Very confusing

I currently can't find any record of Giardina on any census.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Found this in some files. The Bonannos were making guys during the spit.

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Mentioned this to you already, but reminds me of the Valachi induction where members got made during war without approval from the other groups. The Gallos tried to do the same but big difference between Bonanno and Maranzano sneaking people in vs. the Gallos in terms of stature.