Genovese Italy connection?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Genovese Italy connection?

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't seem to find a thread that directly addresses it.

Do the Genovese family have a Sicilian or Italian pipeline of recruits, transfers, racket partnerships, etc the way the Gambinos do with the Inzerillos, or anything like that?

I've read that Barney is Sicilian and has connections to the island, but since that terrific bio article on him is locked to premium :x I can't find much more info on his Sicilian connections. Are his Sicilian connections just individuals he works with or does he use a certain clan regularly?
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Genovese Italy connection?

Post by Wiseguy »

Obviously, the Gambinos and Bonannos have always had the stronger Sicilian connections. I haven't really seen anything comparable with the other NY families, including the Genovese. In the early years, it was the Genovese family which was less "clannish," in the Sicilian sense, and more "American," working with other ethnic groups, etc. That said, some of the Ndrangheta cases in NY over the past 15 years have involved the Genovese.
All roads lead to New York.
nmj1199
Associate

Post by nmj1199 »

Wiseguy wrote:Obviously, the Gambinos and Bonannos have always had the stronger Sicilian connections. I haven't really seen anything comparable with the other NY families, including the Genovese. In the early years, it was the Genovese family which was less "clannish," in the Sicilian sense, and more "American," working with other ethnic groups, etc. That said, some of the Ndrangheta cases in NY over the past 15 years have involved the Genovese.
DeCavacantes have strong ties to Ribera Sicily. Many of the guys would work here in local 394 and go and winter in Sicily on the farm.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

It was speculated/rumored that Tough Tony was 'involved' with the Ndgrangheta (?) couple who were importing shittonnes of coke recently.
Would/could there be a relationship there? Who knows.

Husband cited as Genovese associate. In Queens (TT territory)
https://nypost.com/2017/01/23/mob-wife- ... -pizzeria/
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:53 pm It was speculated/rumored that Tough Tony was 'involved' with the Ndgrangheta (?) couple who were importing shittonnes of coke recently.

This case is very interesting and I’ve wondered if these Gigliottis had Genovese connections given the Corona location. Another question is whether they have any relation to the Chicago Calabrese zip Camilo Gigliotti, who is now living in Calabria again after being convicted for his role in a Chicago robbery-murder in Fl.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Thanks for the replies. What about Barney and his father? They're from Corleone, I believe? Any affiliations there between Genovese and Corleone, or is this just where Barney happens to be from?
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:58 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:53 pm It was speculated/rumored that Tough Tony was 'involved' with the Ndgrangheta (?) couple who were importing shittonnes of coke recently.

This case is very interesting and I’ve wondered if these Gigliottis had Genovese connections given the Corona location. Another question is whether they have any relation to the Chicago Calabrese zip Camilo Gigliotti, who is now living in Calabria again after being convicted for his role in a Chicago robbery-murder in Fl.
An informant in the case said Federici was in business with Gigliotti, who was said to be an affiliate of the Alvaro Ndrangheta clan and, like the Schirripas - Genovese associates in a 2008 bust - acted as a NY-based cocaine broker. Gigliotti was said to have received funding from Federici and was observed bringing large sums of cash to and from a social club owned by Federici next to the Cucino Amado Mio pizzeria (owned by Gigliotti) in Queens. A second CI said Giglittoi told him his source of funding had been Genovese captain Anthony Romanello, who of course is in the same crew.
All roads lead to New York.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Good deets WG
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.