Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by PolackTony »

Thanks, all of that makes sense and is what I thought originally. Maybe his mother just took him to Sicily as an infant and he got listed on the passenger manifest as born there erroneously. I’ve seen many similar trips, of course, and if the kid is an American citizen they’re always recorded as such. The parents and brother Salvatore all match Joey Aiuppa, so it’s got to be him.

So what we have is that Cook County recorded a birth record for him in 1943, and OLMC has a record stating that he was baptized but somewhere in the city. But I haven’t seen either a birth record or a baptism record for him. In what year did OLMC record that he had been previously baptized elsewhere?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:06 pm Has anyone ever confirmed Joey Aiuppa's birth record? It's always stated that he was born 1907 in Melrose Park, and I know that his parents were Simone Aiuppa and Rosalia Greco of Lascari, Palermo province, but I was never able to locate his birth record. It's my belief now that Aiuppa was actually born in Lascari himself. In 1909, Rosalia Greco arrived in NYC bound for her husband Simone Aiuppa, then residing at 382 S Clark St in Chicago. With Rosalia were her two young sons, Giuseppe (2 years old) and Salvatore (less than 1 year). Both sons were listed as born in Lascari.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has info on where Aiuppa's wife was from. I know she was a Zito
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:35 am Thanks, all of that makes sense and is what I thought originally. Maybe his mother just took him to Sicily as an infant and he got listed on the passenger manifest as born there erroneously. I’ve seen many similar trips, of course, and if the kid is an American citizen they’re always recorded as such. The parents and brother Salvatore all match Joey Aiuppa, so it’s got to be him.

So what we have is that Cook County recorded a birth record for him in 1943, and OLMC has a record stating that he was baptized but somewhere in the city. But I haven’t seen either a birth record or a baptism record for him. In what year did OLMC record that he had been previously baptized elsewhere?
Ok, so there is a baptism record for him 1907/12/08 at OLMC. Not sure why they apparently later recorded his baptism as having occurred in the city? His brother Salvatore was actually born in Sicily in 1908, so when Rosalia came back to Chicago with both sons in tow the immigration authorities apparently didn't realize that little Joey was a US citizen. First time I think I've seen that happen (if anything, you think his mother would be very keen to make sure authorities knew that one of her kids was a citizen), but I'm sure it happened on occasion.

Maybe I had a subconscious need for drama due to being stuck at home with Covid. But there are accounts of Cook County government offices back in the day so overrun with Outfit "hoodlums" that they sounded more like social clubs, so I certainly wouldn't put it past them forging documents to cover up immigration/legal problems.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

cavita wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:23 am
PolackTony wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:06 pm Has anyone ever confirmed Joey Aiuppa's birth record? It's always stated that he was born 1907 in Melrose Park, and I know that his parents were Simone Aiuppa and Rosalia Greco of Lascari, Palermo province, but I was never able to locate his birth record. It's my belief now that Aiuppa was actually born in Lascari himself. In 1909, Rosalia Greco arrived in NYC bound for her husband Simone Aiuppa, then residing at 382 S Clark St in Chicago. With Rosalia were her two young sons, Giuseppe (2 years old) and Salvatore (less than 1 year). Both sons were listed as born in Lascari.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has info on where Aiuppa's wife was from. I know she was a Zito
I know her father was Rocco Zito - I also want to say she was a cousin of Rocky Pedula or that her father was close to him. He was an Accardo tag along on those fishing trips with other mob bosses.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:37 am
PolackTony wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:35 am Thanks, all of that makes sense and is what I thought originally. Maybe his mother just took him to Sicily as an infant and he got listed on the passenger manifest as born there erroneously. I’ve seen many similar trips, of course, and if the kid is an American citizen they’re always recorded as such. The parents and brother Salvatore all match Joey Aiuppa, so it’s got to be him.

Ok, so there is a baptism record for him 1907/12/08 at OLMC. Not sure why they apparently later recorded his baptism as having occurred in the city? His brother Salvatore was actually born in Sicily in 1908, so when Rosalia came back to Chicago with both sons in tow the immigration authorities apparently didn't realize that little Joey was a US citizen. First time I think I've seen that happen (if anything, you think his mother would be very keen to make sure authorities knew that one of her kids was a citizen), but I'm sure it happened on occasion.

Maybe I had a subconscious need for drama due to being stuck at home with Covid. But there are accounts of Cook County government offices back in the day so overrun with Outfit "hoodlums" that they sounded more like social clubs, so I certainly wouldn't put it past them forging documents to cover up immigration/legal problems.
100% agree - they saw what happened to Larry Rassano when they tried to deport him. That was Aiuppa's guy.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:02 am
cavita wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:23 am
I know her father was Rocco Zito - I also want to say she was a cousin of Rocky Pedula or that her father was close to him. He was an Accardo tag along on those fishing trips with other mob bosses.
Yeah, Angelina Dolores Zito was born 1908 in MP to Rocco and Carmela Zito. The Zito thing is a red herring here, however, as they were Lucani from Trivigno, Potenza.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:52 pm
cavita wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:01 pm Was this Miceli related to the James Miceli who was arrested with Sam Giancana in 1938 on bootlegging charges in Garden Prairie, Illinois?
Do you recall the age in 1938 of James Miceli? Was an address given? I don't think he was one of the Indiana Micelis, but there were bunch of Micelis, many from Agrigento, in the city as well including around Taylor St.
The newspaper never gave an age. They just said these men were from Chicago and pled not guilty: Sam Giancana, John Greco, Sam May, Mike Falco, Lou Coconate, James Miceli and Tony Giacalone. Elmer Hanson and Richard Cramer were from Milwaukee and Maxwell Wilcox was from Hampshire, Illinois.
Therese04
Prospect

Post by Therese04 »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:21 am
Antiliar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:59 pm Another mysterious old-timer was Giuseppe Priola, who I believe was the great-uncle of Ross Prio (been a while since I looked up the record). He died in 1967 at the age of 100 and was a long-time Mafioso. I think he arrived in 1903, so after the Nicolosis and others.
I have Giuseppe's parents as Gaetano Priola and Carmella Novetta; his wife was Maria Ventimiglia. Records for his birth year vary around ~1870, but his gravesite states 1867. On his 1910 census record, Priola states that he arrived 1898, but I haven't been able to confirm that. In 1903, a Giuseppe Priola, born about 1870 in Ficarazzi, arrived in NYC bound for Chicago, where a brother-in-law Agostino LNI lived. In 1906, Maria Ventimiglia arrived in NYC bound for Chicago, where her husband Giuseppe Priola lived. Alongside her were her three children - Gaetano, Carmella, and Gustavo - her mother Crocifessa Somaria, and Giuseppe's nephew Gaetano Priola. All were born in Ficarazzi.

In 1907, Filippo Priola was born in Chicago to Giuseppe and Maria. This should be the Phil Priola from the Rockford Outfit, though in 1940 he was still living in Chicago (later records who a Phil Priola with the same birthday living in Rockford, who I think also went by the alias Phillip J Price and died in 1987). In 1913, they had a son named Anthony, who would then be the Tony Priola mentioned by Augie Maniaci and thus potentially also a Chicago member.

Rosario Fabricini aka Ross Prio, was born 1900 in Ciminna. He arrived in Chicago 1909 with his adopted mother Giovanna Ingraffia, born in Ciminna to Giuseppe Ingraffia and Caterina Priolo of Ciminna, and his adopted siblings, children of Giovanna and her husband Filippo Priola, also of Ciminna. Giovanna listed her brother Salvatore Ingraffia as residing in Chicago. Giovanni died in Chicago in 1937 and I can find no reference to a Filippo Priola connected to her or her children in Chicago (besides records listing him as their father), leading me to suspect that Filippo died in Sicily.
Caterina Priolo's parents were Flippo Priolo and Rosa Pappalivata lembo. Caterina had two brothers Salvatore Priolo and Vito Priolo. Vito moved to Chicago and married Vincenza tantillo. Salvatore Priolo died in Cimmina Italy in the 1870s. Caterina Priolo married Guiseppe Ingraffia and they had many kids. Giovanna ingraffia married Flippo Priolo sometimes seen on records as Phillip. The two had Joseph, sam, Ross, Rose, Mary. Ross sister Mary Married passantino so that's where that last name comes from on some of Ross's record which was his brother in law. Ross shortened the name to Prio instead of Priolo so the family wouldn't be easily connected to him. Using the newspaper website ross is only listed in one obituary and I think its of his father Philip or his mother Giovanna. The rest of the families obituaries he is not mentioned in even though he was alive during their passings. Sam Priolo passed away in 1939 and I have heard some stories that a cousin Was killed hours after trying to convince my great grandfather to become connected. I am not sure sam is the one who Was killed but he Was only 39 when he passed.
Therese04
Prospect

Post by Therese04 »

Therese04 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:33 pm
Antiliar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:59 pm Another mysterious old-timer was Giuseppe Priola, who I believe was the great-uncle of Ross Prio (been a while since I looked up the record). He died in 1967 at the age of 100 and was a long-time Mafioso. I think he arrived in 1903, so after the Nicolosis and others.
I have Giuseppe's parents as Gaetano Priola and Carmella Novetta; his wife was Maria Ventimiglia. Records for his birth year vary around ~1870, but his gravesite states 1867. On his 1910 census record, Priola states that he arrived 1898, but I haven't been able to confirm that. In 1903, a Giuseppe Priola, born about 1870 in Ficarazzi, arrived in NYC bound for Chicago, where a brother-in-law Agostino LNI lived. In 1906, Maria Ventimiglia arrived in NYC bound for Chicago, where her husband Giuseppe Priola lived. Alongside her were her three children - Gaetano, Carmella, and Gustavo - her mother Crocifessa Somaria, and Giuseppe's nephew Gaetano Priola. All were born in Ficarazzi.

In 1907, Filippo Priola was born in Chicago to Giuseppe and Maria. This should be the Phil Priola from the Rockford Outfit, though in 1940 he was still living in Chicago (later records who a Phil Priola with the same birthday living in Rockford, who I think also went by the alias Phillip J Price and died in 1987). In 1913, they had a son named Anthony, who would then be the Tony Priola mentioned by Augie Maniaci and thus potentially also a Chicago member.

Rosario Fabricini aka Ross Prio, was born 1900 in Ciminna. He arrived in Chicago 1909 with his adopted mother Giovanna Ingraffia, born in Ciminna to Giuseppe Ingraffia and Caterina Priolo of Ciminna, and his adopted siblings, children of Giovanna and her husband Filippo Priola, also of Ciminna. Giovanna listed her brother Salvatore Ingraffia as residing in Chicago. Giovanni died in Chicago in 1937 and I can find no reference to a Filippo Priola connected to her or her children in Chicago (besides records listing him as their father), leading me to suspect that Filippo died in Sicily.
Caterina Priolo's parents were Flippo Priolo and Rosa Pappalivata lembo. Caterina had two brothers Salvatore Priolo and Vito Priolo. Vito moved to Chicago and married Vincenza tantillo. Salvatore Priolo died in Cimmina Italy in the 1870s. Caterina Priolo married Guiseppe Ingraffia and they had many kids. Giovanna ingraffia married Flippo Priolo sometimes seen on records as Phillip. The two had Joseph, sam, Ross, Rose, Mary. Ross sister Mary Married passantino so that's where that last name comes from on some of Ross's record which was his brother in law. Ross shortened the name to Prio instead of Priolo so the family wouldn't be easily connected to him. Using the newspaper website ross is only listed in one obituary and I think its of his father Philip or his mother Giovanna. The rest of the families obituaries he is not mentioned in even though he was alive during their passings. Sam Priolo passed away in 1939 and I have heard some stories that a cousin Was killed hours after trying to convince my great grandfather to become connected. I am not sure sam is the one who Was killed but he Was only 39 when he passed.
I might be wrong about Salvatore Priolo he might be Flippo's (Philip) Priolos father instead of Caterina and Vitos brother. Salvatore Priolo married Marie Scimeca.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Thanks for the further info. Have you confirmed that Ross’s adoptive father Filippo Priola died in Chicago? Do you happen to know what year he died?

By any chance are you related to any of these families?
Therese04
Prospect

Post by Therese04 »

Yes I am
His adopted father is a Priolo. The Priolo's mentioned are not related to any Priola's. Flippo had to of died in the US because his named was americanized to Phillip instead of flippo. Giovanna Ingraffia died in 1937 in Chicago. her obituary says "wife of the late Philip Priolo, fond mother of ross, Joseph, Sam, Rose, and Mary. Sam Priolo died two years later and was buried with his mother and Joseph was later buried there in 1972. Flippo (Philip) Priolo is not buried with them. They are at the River Grove Cemetery ST Josephs. Ross is buried there as well but in the mausoleum.
Therese04
Prospect

Post by Therese04 »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:41 pm

Thanks for the further info. Have you confirmed that Ross’s adoptive father Filippo Priola died in Chicago? Do you happen to know what year he died?

By any chance are you related to any of these families?
Yes I am
His adopted father is a Priolo. The Priolo's mentioned are not related to any Priola's. Flippo had to of died in the US because his named was americanized to Phillip instead of flippo. Giovanna Ingraffia died in 1937 in Chicago. her obituary says "wife of the late Philip Priolo, fond mother of ross, Joseph, Sam, Rose, and Mary. Sam Priolo died two years later and was buried with his mother and Joseph was later buried there in 1972. Flippo (Philip) Priolo is not buried with them. They are at the River Grove Cemetery ST Josephs. Ross is buried there as well but in the mausoleum
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Therese04 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:25 pm Yes I am
His adopted father is a Priolo. The Priolo's mentioned are not related to any Priola's. Flippo had to of died in the US because his named was americanized to Phillip instead of flippo. Giovanna Ingraffia died in 1937 in Chicago. her obituary says "wife of the late Philip Priolo, fond mother of ross, Joseph, Sam, Rose, and Mary. Sam Priolo died two years later and was buried with his mother and Joseph was later buried there in 1972. Flippo (Philip) Priolo is not buried with them. They are at the River Grove Cemetery ST Josephs. Ross is buried there as well but in the mausoleum.
Thanks for the input.

I used “Priola” in the above as Priola/Priolo are not distinct surnames but spelling variants due to Sicilian dialect pronunciation. So one will often see an individual’s name spelled both ways in various documents.

I saw the same obituary entry. Filippo being described as “Philip” there I don’t think is enough to conclude that he necessarily immigrated to the US. Given that the family had been in the US for some time by then, the family could’ve just been Anglicizing her deceased husband’s name when reporting it. If he came to the US there should be some record of him in Chicago. I’m not going to say that I categorically can rule it out, as there may be a document that I haven’t seen. But based on not finding anything, I suspect that he died or otherwise was separated from Giovanna before she left Sicily. Please let me know if you come across anything to support that he was actually in Chicago, I’d be glad to see it.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Article about the death of Sam Priolo:
The Pantagraph (Bloomington, IL) 1939Jan25 Sam Priolo (Ross Prio's brother) killed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Therese04
Prospect

Post by Therese04 »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:41 pm
Therese04 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:25 pm Yes I am
Thanks for the input.

I used “Priola” in the above as Priola/Priolo are not distinct surnames but spelling variants due to Sicilian dialect pronunciation. So one will often see an individual’s name spelled both ways in various documents.

I saw the same obituary entry. Filippo being described as “Philip” there I don’t think is enough to conclude that he necessarily immigrated to the US. Given that the family had been in the US for some time by then, the family could’ve just been Anglicizing her deceased husband’s name when reporting it. If he came to the US there should be some record of him in Chicago. I’m not going to say that I categorically can rule it out, as there may be a document that I haven’t seen. But based on not finding anything, I suspect that he died or otherwise was separated from Giovanna before she left Sicily. Please let me know if you come across anything to support that he was actually in Chicago, I’d be glad to see it.
It is looking like that Flippo Priolo died in Italy. In 1909 that's when Ross, Sam, Joseph, Mary, and Rose came over to the US with Giovanna. There are records of all of the kids being on the US Hamburg in 1909 from their federalization papers. Giovanna was listed as a widow on the ellis island ship documents. It also was noted that the person she knew in the US was Salvatore Ingraffia (her brother) and in the old country Guiseppe Ingraffia (also her brother). All of the kids were born before 1909 which makes it seem that Flippo died a few years prior to 1909. he last child to be born was Rose Prio who was born in 1906 and (married Vito Vittore in the 1920s or 30s) which means Flippo had to be alive.