Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by PolackTony »

Sam James Marcello was born Salvatore Marcello in 1919 in Oswego, NY to Agostino Marcello and Anna Annorino. Anna died in 1923 in Oswego, and the family subsequently moved to Chicago. According to his 1939 Chicago death record, Agostino Marcello was born about 1874 in Naples. His father was listed there as James Marcello, and both his parents were recorded as born in Naples. I haven't been able to confirm Anna Annorino's origin, though based on the surname I had assumed Termini Imerese. This is probably correct. In 1920, Agostino and Anna had her brother, Joe Annorino, born about 1890, living with them in Oswego. This was Giuseppe Annorino, born 1889-1890, who died 1960 in Oswego. On his 1914 naturalization, h declared that he had arrived via Palermo in 1906 and was born in "Tamaran". Subsequently, on his WW2 draft registration, he declared that was born in "Tamany", Italy. I've looked under a variety of spellings of the surname (Annorino/Annerino/Genero/Iannarino/Eannarino, etc.) but haven't been able to identify the passenger record for Anna, Giuseppe (or their brother Salvatore Annorino, who also settled in Oswego and apparently arrived 1909 in NYC).

In 1930, Agostino was living as a lodger in the home of an Angelina LaRose, born about 1884 in Italy, at Taylor and Paulina. I believe this was the Angelina LaRosa, born 1882 in Termini Imerese, who died in Chicago in 1944. This further strengthens the inference that Anna Annorino was related to the Termini Annorinos (etc) in Chicago. Another clue is that Giuseppe Annorino's son Patrick Annorino, was born 1929 in Oswego but died 1998 in Arlington Heights, IL (suburbs).

Young Sammy Marcello was apparently already a hoodlum in training, as in 1930 he was residing in the St Mary's Training School in suburban Wheeling. By 1940, he had married Irene Agnes Flynn, daughter of CPD lieutenant James Flynn and Katherin Lavin, both of Irish ancestry. Irene was the mother of Jimmy Marcello, of course. Sam and and Irene must've separated around 1950 at the latest, as Mickey Marcello was born 1951 (?) and is often described as Jimmy's half-brother. Having an Italian stepmother probably further paved the way for Jimmy to be made; it's possible that people just thought she was his mother (in her 2005 obituary, Margaret is described as Jimmy's mother, not stepmother).

Margaret Urbinati was born 1918 in Chicago to Alessandro Urbinati, of Pesaro, Marche, and Giulia Moroni, of Ancona, Marche. She was the younger sister of Carlo Urbinati, Outfit associate and naroctics trafficker Carlo Urbinati, born 1917 in Chicago.

Jimmy Marcello's elder (full) sister Ann Josephine Marcello (born 1936) married Billy Galioto -- corrupt CPD cop, Outfit associate, and bookie -- in 1959. I believe he was the William Thomas Galioto born 1937 in Chicago to John Bernard Galioto and Rose Incavo. John B Galioto was born 1914 in Chicago to Guglielmo Galioto and Ignazia Incandela of Bagheria. Rose Incavo seems to have been born in NYC 1915 to parents from Montemaggiore Belsito.

Despite his obvious ties to the Aiuppa crew, in 1959 Sam Marcello was the only guy busted in a Grand ave gambling operation who wasn't from the Grand Ave patch neighborhood. Other guys from this bust included Jimmy D'Antonio and Angelo Janotta. Perhaps related to Sam's apparent ties to Grand Ave is that as a young kid, Billy Galioto lived on Leavitt and Hubbard in the Grand Ave Patch.

Anyone ever come across any Galiotos with mafia connections? In 1921, the macaroni factory of the Galioto Bros - Sam and Joe - on Division in Littel Sicily was bombed. Decades later, a John Galioto had a pasta factory, first located in the city and then later in Schiller Park. In 1930 Guglielmo Galioto, grandfather of Billy and father of John B Galioto, was listed as the proprietor of a spaghetti factory. Given that they were Bagheresi and that their business was bombed, I'd suspect they may have been connected.
Last edited by PolackTony on Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:01 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:48 pm
Antiliar wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:24 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:55 pm
That should have read that I believe he passed sometime "around 1911". I was never able to verify a death record for him either. Several of the ancestry family trees (which as you know are often riddled with errors) state that he died in 1911. Then his wife remarried in 1914 in OH (I have the marriage record for that). So I think it's reasonable that he probably did in fact die sometime around 1911. So that's my best guess, but it shouldn't read as if it were documented fact (can't edit now).

There was another Tommaso Gibaldi from Licata living in NYC during this period. This guy, however, was younger, born in 1895, and died in 1918 (the Tommaso Gibardi that we're interested in was born about 1873). Possible that they were cousins, given the same name. You mentioned death at sea, and there is a record for one of these Tommaso Gibardis arriving in NYC in 1911, but he is listed there as born about 1887. In that record, his occupation is listed as "sailor". I'm thinking that was the younger Tommaso, but who knows. Either way, there doesn't seem to be any further records that appear for McGurn's dad from that time on.

With the Genna/D'Amore thing, I have little confidence in these accounts (which get repeated ad infinitum in later texts as if they were proven fact) of perpetrators and motives for murders in that period. A lot of this stuff that was ostensibly ascribed to "Black Handers" or alky war stuff was likely the result of internal mafia politics (not that competition over bootlegging rackets didn't intersect with the politics also).
If I recall, there was also a Tommaso Gibaldi who died in Milwaukee in 1918. I agree that around 1911 is probably correct. They had a daughter born in 1910, then there's a gap. Yes, I also have the Gibaldi-D'Amore marriage record from FamilySearch. I've spent years trying to find the same things you've been searching for: the death date of Gibaldi and the birth location of D'Amore. There is a family tree with Gibaldi's birth record (which you can also find at FamilySearch).
It's a consolation to know that I'm not alone in my failures, lol.

Given that they wound up in Chicago, I think it's possible that D'Amore was related to some of the D'Amores there. So my wild guess is that he was likely either from Siculiana or Termini.

@Cavita -- given all the Agrigentesi in Rockford, have you ever come across any D'Amores connected to the mafia?
D'Amore is not a name seen in Rockford and I don't believe there is anyone there with that name.
I'm sure that Antiliar has come across this guy, but there was an Angelo Modica Amore/D'Amore, born in Siculiana, who was not Jack McGurn's stepfather Angelo D'Amore. What I found interesting about this other guy was that, although he lived in Chicago's Little Sicily, has was naturalized in Rockford. Given his Agrigentesi origin, I thought it may be a link to the Rockford family, who knows.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:58 pm
That should have read that I believe he passed sometime "around 1911". I was never able to verify a death record for him either. Several of the ancestry family trees (which as you know are often riddled with errors) state that he died in 1911. Then his wife remarried in 1914 in OH (I have the marriage record for that). So I think it's reasonable that he probably did in fact die sometime around 1911. So that's my best guess, but it shouldn't read as if it were documented fact (can't edit now).

There was another Tommaso Gibaldi from Licata living in NYC during this period. This guy, however, was younger, born in 1895, and died in 1918 (the Tommaso Gibardi that we're interested in was born about 1873). Possible that they were cousins, given the same name. You mentioned death at sea, and there is a record for one of these Tommaso Gibardis arriving in NYC in 1911, but he is listed there as born about 1887. In that record, his occupation is listed as "sailor". I'm thinking that was the younger Tommaso, but who knows. Either way, there doesn't seem to be any further records that appear for McGurn's dad from that time on.

With the Genna/D'Amore thing, I have little confidence in these accounts (which get repeated ad infinitum in later texts as if they were proven fact) of perpetrators and motives for murders in that period. A lot of this stuff that was ostensibly ascribed to "Black Handers" or alky war stuff was likely the result of internal mafia politics (not that competition over bootlegging rackets didn't intersect with the politics also).
If I recall, there was also a Tommaso Gibaldi who died in Milwaukee in 1918. I agree that around 1911 is probably correct. They had a daughter born in 1910, then there's a gap. Yes, I also have the Gibaldi-D'Amore marriage record from FamilySearch. I've spent years trying to find the same things you've been searching for: the death date of Gibaldi and the birth location of D'Amore. There is a family tree with Gibaldi's birth record (which you can also find at FamilySearch).

Given that they wound up in Chicago, I think it's possible that D'Amore was related to some of the D'Amores there. So my wild guess is that he was likely either from Siculiana or Termini.

@Cavita -- given all the Agrigentesi in Rockford, have you ever come across any D'Amores connected to the mafia?
D'Amore is not a name seen in Rockford and I don't believe there is anyone there with that name.
I'm sure that Antiliar has come across this guy, but there was an Angelo Modica Amore/D'Amore, born in Siculiana, who was not Jack McGurn's stepfather Angelo D'Amore. What I found interesting about this other guy was that, although he lived in Chicago's Little Sicily, has was naturalized in Rockford. Given his Agrigentesi origin, I thought it may be a link to the Rockford family, who knows.
Now the Amore name in Rockford is prominent. There was Alfonso Amore who was born in Siculiana about 1882 and died in Rockford August 25, 1950.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

cavita wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:47 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:58 pm

Now the Amore name in Rockford is prominent. There was Alfonso Amore who was born in Siculiana about 1882 and died in Rockford August 25, 1950.
I also remembered something else....Alfonso had a son Pasquale who died in San Jose in 1965. Alfonso also had a daughter, can't remember her name right now but she was married to an Anthony Chiapetta who was murdered in Rockford in 1933 allegedly by gangsters. Chiapetta's family was from Poggioreale.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Vincenzo Chiappetta, the friend of Nick Gentile who later ended up in Kansas City, was also from Poggioreale.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Rockford's Anthony Chiapetta's parents were Giuseppe and Giuseppa Chiapetta. Giuseppe was born November 16, 1867 in Poggioreale and died October 25, 1942 in Rockford. He had entered the U.S. in 1901 and lived in New Orleans where he married and then moved to Rockford in 1917. He had two sons, Salvatore and Mariano who lived in Chicago and two daughters, Mary Amore of Rockford and Caterina Gagliano of New Orleans. I don't know of any relation to VIncenzo Chiapetta though.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I haven't looked into Vincent's ancestry, but he was born 23 Nov 1886 and arrived in New York in 1905, staying with an uncle named Leonardo Ippolito on Mulberry Street. A few years later he was in New Orleans working as a Black Hander under Vito Di Giorgio. From New Orleans he appears to have gone to Pueblo, then to Kansas City. His death certificate names his parents as Michael Chiappetta and Carmela Zinnannti. Michele was born 29 Dec 1854 Poggioreale, Trapani, Sicilia, Italy; Carmela on 13 Dec 1859 Salaparuta, Trapani, Sicilia, Italy.
Last edited by Antiliar on Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Vincenzo Chiappetta was related (maybe through marriage) to Pueblo boss Pellegrino Scaglia from Burgio. Poggioreale is by the border with Agrigento not far from Burgio, Ribera, etc.

He ended up involved with the St. Louis Family along with Kansas City. The STL boss at that time was Miceli from Burgio, maybe not a coincidence. Miceli was the one who lived in Illinois before STL and his son (also a STL member) was born in Chicago.

Vincenzo did an interesting interview with the FBI when he was old.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:52 pm Sam James Marcello was born Salvatore Marcello in 1919 in Oswego, NY to Agostino Marcello and Anna Annorino. Anna died in 1923 in Oswego, and the family subsequently moved to Chicago. According to his 1939 Chicago death record, Agostino Marcello was born about 1874 in Naples. His father was listed there as James Marcello, and both his parents were recorded as born in Naples. I haven't been able to confirm Anna Annorino's origin, though based on the surname I had assumed Termini Imerese. This is probably correct. In 1920, Agostino and Anna had her brother, Joe Annorino, born about 1890, living with them in Oswego. This was Giuseppe Annorino, born 1889-1890, who died 1960 in Oswego. On his 1914 naturalization, h declared that he had arrived via Palermo in 1906 and was born in "Tamaran". Subsequently, on his WW2 draft registration, he declared that was born in "Tamany", Italy. I've looked under a variety of spellings of the surname (Annorino/Annerino/Genero/Iannarino/Eannarino, etc.) but haven't been able to identify the passenger record for Anna, Giuseppe (or their brother Salvatore Annorino, who also settled in Oswego and apparently arrived 1909 in NYC).

In 1930, Agostino was living as a lodger in the home of an Angelina LaRose, born about 1884 in Italy, at Taylor and Paulina. I believe this was the Angelina LaRosa, born 1882 in Termini Imerese, who died in Chicago in 1944. This further strengthens the inference that Anna Annorino was related to the Termini Annorinos (etc) in Chicago. Another clue is that Giuseppe Annorino's son Patrick Annorino, was born 1929 in Oswego but died 1998 in Arlington Heights, IL (suburbs).

Young Sammy Marcello was apparently already a hoodlum in training, as in 1930 he was residing in the St Mary's Training School in suburban Wheeling. By 1940, he had married Irene Agnes Flynn, daughter of CPD lieutenant James Flynn and Katherin Lavin, both of Irish ancestry. Irene was the mother of Jimmy Marcello, of course. Sam and and Irene must've separated around 1950 at the latest, as Mickey Marcello was born 1951 (?) and is often described as Jimmy's half-brother. Having an Italian stepmother probably further paved the way for Jimmy to be made; it's possible that people just thought she was his mother (in her 2005 obituary, Margaret is described as Jimmy's mother, not stepmother).

Margaret Urbinati was born 1918 in Chicago to Alessandro Urbinati, of Pesaro, Marche, and Giulia Moroni, of Ancona, Marche. She was the younger sister of Carlo Urbinati, Outfit associate and naroctics trafficker Carlo Urbinati, born 1917 in Chicago.

Jimmy Marcello's elder (full) sister Ann Josephine Marcello (born 1936) married Billy Galioto -- corrupt CPD cop, Outfit associate, and bookie -- in 1959. I believe he was the William Thomas Galioto born 1937 in Chicago to John Bernard Galioto and Rose Incavo. John B Galioto was born 1914 in Chicago to Guglielmo Galioto and Ignazia Incandela of Bagheria. Rose Incavo seems to have been born in NYC 1915 to parents from Montemaggiore Belsito.

Despite his obvious ties to the Aiuppa crew, in 1959 Sam Marcello was the only guy busted in a Grand ave gambling operation who wasn't from the Grand Ave patch neighborhood. Other guys from this bust included Jimmy D'Antonio and Angelo Janotta. Perhaps related to Sam's apparent ties to Grand Ave is that as a young kid, Billy Galioto lived on Leavitt and Hubbard in the Grand Ave Patch.

Anyone ever come across any Galiotos with mafia connections? In 1921, the macaroni factory of the Galioto Bros - Sam and Joe - on Division in Littel Sicily was bombed. Decades later, a John Galioto had a pasta factory, first located in the city and then later in Schiller Park. In 1930 Guglielmo Galioto, grandfather of Billy and father of John B Galioto, was listed as the proprietor of a spaghetti factory. Given that they were Bagheresi and that their business was bombed, I'd suspect they may have been connected.
From a post that B did on historic bosses in Sicily:
B. wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:18 am Found the names of many historic bosses in old Italian reports. Def a margin of error with some of the estimated dates, as unfortunately they don't include that info and it can be hard to know what period they're referring to but it's mostly 1910s-1930s, more commonly 1920s. I wrote (historic) if have no idea.

Bagheria
Salvatore Galioto (1910s-1920s) - identified as capoprovincia of Palermo and Bagheria boss
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Has anyone been able to confirm the ancestry of the Miceli brothers from Calumet City/Hammond?

Their parents were Joe Miceli alias Joe Mitchell and Anna LoPiccolo. Joe was a coal miner and was born 1872 according to his death record in 1959. In 1930 they were living in Clinton, IN, a mining town near Terre Haute. On his WW2 registration, John Miceli, then residing in Hammond, stated that he was born 1913 in Whiteash, IL. Whiteash is a tiny hamlet in far downstate Williamson County -- coal country. In 1906, a Giuseppe Miceli, born about 1873 in Burgio, arrived in NYC bound for Murphysboro, IL (Jackson County, neighboring Williamson County) and listed a cousin (surname illegible) living in Johnston City, IL (Williamson County). Williamson County had a bunch of Micelis from Burgio, as it turns out, some of whom also went by "Mitchell" in some documents. Notably, there was also a marriage between a Miceli and a LoPiccolo (not Joe and Anna) in Williamson County, and both were from Burgio. In 1924, a Giuseppe LoPiccolo arrived in NYC bound for Williamson County and listed his sister Anna LoPiccolo as his contact. While I think it's a good guess, I don't have any firm facts regarding the origins of Joe Miceli and Anna LoPiccolo.

If the Miceli Bros were from downstate IL/IN, one wonders how they got plugged in with the mob in Calumet City and NW IN. Matt Luzi states that after Frank Abbate was clipped, the Miceli Bros took over Calumet City with Phil Bacino. If their parents were indeed from Burgio, the Agrigento connection might be part of the context.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Tony -- Johnson City had an Agrigento colony with possible mafia ties. Bonanno captain Angelo Salvo was born there before he moved back to the family hometown Alessandria della Rocca which neighbors Burgio, believed to be made there then moved to NJ where he was close to the DeCavalcantes.

- STL boss Pasquale Miceli was living in Chicago from at least 1920-1927 as they had kids born there during that span. Pasquale was already in his late 30s so likely made given the era and how he quickly rose to boss in STL.

- I think we can easily place Pasquale Miceli in the Chicago mafia Agrigento faction with Mike Merlo and the Riberesi as Burgio is next to Sambuca and Ribera. Powerful group given it produced two Chicago bosses, a Chicago captain, the STL boss, and a DeCavalcante captain. That's not including the Phil Bacino rumor.

- If these other Micelis were from Burgio too and connected to Calumet City, Phil Bacino is an easy connection. Years ago I wrote down that STL boss Pasquale was a coal miner living in Johnson City circa WWI but I checked and the one I thought was him has a DOB of 1895 which is about ten years younger. From Burgio like him, though, so could be a cousin.

I know the Micelis were in STL by 1940 but not sure when he left Chicago, only that he was still there in 1927. Be interesting if he fled after 1928 when Lolordo was killed and some of the Riberesi moved to NYC and Elizabeth.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

My mistake -- Salvo was born in Williamsville, Illinois. Same general area but a little ways up.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

B. wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:10 am Tony -- Johnson City had an Agrigento colony with possible mafia ties. Bonanno captain Angelo Salvo was born there before he moved back to the family hometown Alessandria della Rocca which neighbors Burgio, believed to be made there then moved to NJ where he was close to the DeCavalcantes.

- STL boss Pasquale Miceli was living in Chicago from at least 1920-1927 as they had kids born there during that span. Pasquale was already in his late 30s so likely made given the era and how he quickly rose to boss in STL.

- I think we can easily place Pasquale Miceli in the Chicago mafia Agrigento faction with Mike Merlo and the Riberesi as Burgio is next to Sambuca and Ribera. Powerful group given it produced two Chicago bosses, a Chicago captain, the STL boss, and a DeCavalcante captain. That's not including the Phil Bacino rumor.

- If these other Micelis were from Burgio too and connected to Calumet City, Phil Bacino is an easy connection. Years ago I wrote down that STL boss Pasquale was a coal miner living in Johnson City circa WWI but I checked and the one I thought was him has a DOB of 1895 which is about ten years younger. From Burgio like him, though, so could be a cousin.

I know the Micelis were in STL by 1940 but not sure when he left Chicago, only that he was still there in 1927. Be interesting if he fled after 1928 when Lolordo was killed and some of the Riberesi moved to NYC and Elizabeth.
This may be a good time to bring this up as it fits the area and I can't find any further info on most of these men. By October 23, 1918 Rockford LCN boss Tony Musso was in Johnson City, Illinois as evidence by the birth of his son August and on July 31,1919 he was arrested in St. Louis, Missouri on a charge of burglary and carrying a concealed weapon. He was also in the company of Joe Provenzano, 24, Jim Curezo, 26, Joe Busan, 23, all of Marion, Illinois and by 1919 Musso was listed as being from Lexington, Illinois. A fifth man, Joe “Banana Joe” Berti, recognized by police, escaped in a hail of police gunfire. The men had stolen an auto belonging to Adolph Clodius. Found in the car were a mask made of blue cloth, a cap, 50 rounds of cartridges, two loaded automatic pistols and four revolvers. Now, besides Musso I know nothing of the other men or what happened to them. I'm sure some of their names are erroneously spelled. That area of Illinois seemed to be a hotbed of Italian criminals perhaps because many settled there due to the coal mining business. Anyone have any info on the other men mentioned?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:10 am Tony -- Johnson City had an Agrigento colony with possible mafia ties. Bonanno captain Angelo Salvo was born there before he moved back to the family hometown Alessandria della Rocca which neighbors Burgio, believed to be made there then moved to NJ where he was close to the DeCavalcantes.

Wait, I was under the impression that the Pasquale Miceli born 1895 in Burgio was the STL boss. So far as I know, this was the Pasquale Miceli who died in STL in 1953, whose death certificate states that he was born in Burgio in 1895. His parents were Antonino Miceli and Rosaria Piazza, wife Margherita Mansicalco. In 1912, this Pasquale Miceli arrived in NYC bound for Johnston City, IL with his sister Vita Miceli. Her husband, Nicola Maniscalco of Burgio, was living in Johnston City. FOr his WW1 draft registration, Pasquale was still living in Williamson County. By 1920, he had moved to Chicago, where he was living on the Near North Side (I have Oak St). He was still living in Chicago as late as 1929, when he filed his naturalization petition, stating that he lived at 903 S California, near Taylor. I haven't been able to find a 1930 census record for him; it's possible that they used some other version of the surname such as "Mitchell", as seems to have been very common among these Micelis connected to Williamson County. As you note, the 1940 census has him in STL (same address listed on his 1953 death certificate, on Kingshighway). On that document, Pasquale claimed that he had been at that address since 1935. All of the referenced documents here concur that he was born 1895.

Nicola Maniscalco and Vita Miceli also decamped for Chicago, where I believe that father Antonino Miceli died in 1946.

This was not the same Pasquale Miceli who was STL rappresentante ~1940 - ~1950?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:54 am

This may be a good time to bring this up as it fits the area and I can't find any further info on most of these men. By October 23, 1918 Rockford LCN boss Tony Musso was in Johnson City, Illinois as evidence by the birth of his son August and on July 31,1919 he was arrested in St. Louis, Missouri on a charge of burglary and carrying a concealed weapon. He was also in the company of Joe Provenzano, 24, Jim Curezo, 26, Joe Busan, 23, all of Marion, Illinois and by 1919 Musso was listed as being from Lexington, Illinois. A fifth man, Joe “Banana Joe” Berti, recognized by police, escaped in a hail of police gunfire. The men had stolen an auto belonging to Adolph Clodius. Found in the car were a mask made of blue cloth, a cap, 50 rounds of cartridges, two loaded automatic pistols and four revolvers. Now, besides Musso I know nothing of the other men or what happened to them. I'm sure some of their names are erroneously spelled. That area of Illinois seemed to be a hotbed of Italian criminals perhaps because many settled there due to the coal mining business. Anyone have any info on the other men mentioned?
This is great info. Very interesting to start fleshing out the trajectories linking Chicago, Rockford, STL, and the Bonnanos to the backcountry of far downstate IL via this Agrigentese network. Williamson County and adjacent areas would seem to have been a relatively overlooked area for early mafia activity, with guys transferring or joining metropolitan families in the region later on. I wonder if they had an actual colony family there at some point (which I'd think is possibly a good bet), or if these guys just formally belonged to the Burgio family, etc., until they joined Chicago, Rockford, STL.

The Joe Provenzano that was busted with Musso should be Giuseppe Provenzano, born 1893 in Burgio. His WW1 draft registration had him living in Whiteash -- just outside of Marion and where John Miceli of Cal City was born -- with his parents, where he worked for the West Virginia Coal Co. He arrived in the US 1912 in NYC bound for Kankakee, IL, just south of Chicago, where he stated that his cousin Leonardo Ambrogio lived. At this time, his father Antonino Provenzano was still living in Burgio. Not sure exactly when, but Giuseppe relocated to Chicago, where his 1926 naturalization document had him living at 1118 N Townsend in Little Sicily, with his wife Grazia. Giuseppe died in Chicago in 1947. His parents were listed on his death record as Antonino Provenzano and Ninfa Bacino (!), and his wife Grazia DiPisa.

EDIT: Worth noting that there was another Giuseppe Provenzano involved with the mafia in Chicago. This was the Joe Provenzano killed in 1932 in Elmwood Park as part of a series of killings involving Sicilian mobsters (Fat Tony Giuffrida, John Pantaleo). This I believe was the Giuseppe Provenzano who was also born in Burgio but in February of 1894 and had a Chicago-born wife named Marie; the Giuseppe Provenzano who lived in Williamson County and died in Chicago 1947 was born in November 1893 and was married to a Grazia born in Italy. The Giuseppe murdered in 1932 I believe lived at 832 Cambridge in Little Sicily (per his 1928 naturalization). I believe these two Giuseppe Provenzanos were cousins, given the same given name. In fact, the Giuseppe born 1894 arrived on the same ship from Sicily as the one born 1893 (arrived in NYC 1912/08/15). Both were bound for their cousin Leonardo Ambrogio in Kankakee. While one listed Antonino Provenzano as their father, the other listed a Luca Provenzano in Burgio. The death record for the Joe Provenzano murdered 1932/12/01 stated that his father was "Louis" Provenzano.

EDIT EDIT:
Seems like the Giuseppe Provenzano who once lived in Williamson County had to lam it to Sicily/NYC in the 1930s. The passenger manifest for a 1936 trip from Palermo to NYC has a Grazia DiPisa (states born in Vicari) traveling with her young children Ninfa, about 3 yo, and Luciano, an infant, Provenzano. Her contact in Sicily was her mother-in-law Ninfa Bacino of Burgio, while she was headed to her husband Giuseppe Provenzano residing at 1117 8th St in Brooklyn (Park Slope). Ninfa Provenzano was born August 1932 in Chicago to Joseph Provenzano and Grazia DePisa, but that was before her father's apparent cousin, the other Joe Provenzano, was whacked in December 1932. Son Luciano Provenzano's birth record from the US consular service for children born abroad to American fathers states that he was born in Burgio 1935 to Giuseppe Provenzano and Grazia Di Pisa. In 1940, the Provenzano/DiPisa family were residing in STL. Not sure at what point between then and 1947 they returned to Chicago.