Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by Antiliar »

cavita wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:34 pm Was the name Giuseppe Sacco and not Scacco? I've never heard of Scacco as a surname.
The Cleveland police had Scacco, but it's probably a spelling error on their part. Several names are spelled wrong. By the way, does anyone know who these two guys are from the Cleveland meeting? It has their names (probably spelled wrong).
John Giacchi.JPG
John Gomsota.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:24 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:55 pm
That should have read that I believe he passed sometime "around 1911". I was never able to verify a death record for him either. Several of the ancestry family trees (which as you know are often riddled with errors) state that he died in 1911. Then his wife remarried in 1914 in OH (I have the marriage record for that). So I think it's reasonable that he probably did in fact die sometime around 1911. So that's my best guess, but it shouldn't read as if it were documented fact (can't edit now).

There was another Tommaso Gibaldi from Licata living in NYC during this period. This guy, however, was younger, born in 1895, and died in 1918 (the Tommaso Gibardi that we're interested in was born about 1873). Possible that they were cousins, given the same name. You mentioned death at sea, and there is a record for one of these Tommaso Gibardis arriving in NYC in 1911, but he is listed there as born about 1887. In that record, his occupation is listed as "sailor". I'm thinking that was the younger Tommaso, but who knows. Either way, there doesn't seem to be any further records that appear for McGurn's dad from that time on.

With the Genna/D'Amore thing, I have little confidence in these accounts (which get repeated ad infinitum in later texts as if they were proven fact) of perpetrators and motives for murders in that period. A lot of this stuff that was ostensibly ascribed to "Black Handers" or alky war stuff was likely the result of internal mafia politics (not that competition over bootlegging rackets didn't intersect with the politics also).
If I recall, there was also a Tommaso Gibaldi who died in Milwaukee in 1918. I agree that around 1911 is probably correct. They had a daughter born in 1910, then there's a gap. Yes, I also have the Gibaldi-D'Amore marriage record from FamilySearch. I've spent years trying to find the same things you've been searching for: the death date of Gibaldi and the birth location of D'Amore. There is a family tree with Gibaldi's birth record (which you can also find at FamilySearch).
It's a consolation to know that I'm not alone in my failures, lol.

Given that they wound up in Chicago, I think it's possible that D'Amore was related to some of the D'Amores there. So my wild guess is that he was likely either from Siculiana or Termini.

@Cavita -- given all the Agrigentesi in Rockford, have you ever come across any D'Amores connected to the mafia?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:46 pm
cavita wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:34 pm Was the name Giuseppe Sacco and not Scacco? I've never heard of Scacco as a surname.
The Cleveland police had Scacco, but it's probably a spelling error on their part. Several names are spelled wrong. By the way, does anyone know who these two guys are from the Cleveland meeting? It has their names (probably spelled wrong).
John Giacchi.JPG

John Gomsota.JPG
These were Chicago guys?

Johnny Gom looks very displeased.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:54 pm
Antiliar wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:46 pm
John Giacchi.JPG

John Gomsota.JPG
These were Chicago guys?

Johnny Gom looks very displeased.
Gives locations for the other guys, but not these two.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

A John Ciacchi born in December 1910 lived in Cleveland at the time. Don't know what age was given for "Giacchi" but looks like a teen. These Cleveland Ciacchis were from the Italian mainland though so doesn't really fit with such a young guy at an important meeting with all Sicilians.

Also a John Comsuta (b. 1898) was living in Cleveland at the time. Age would fit the guy in the photo but the John Comsuta in Cleveland was from Romania so doesn't make sense.

Couldn't find any other similar matches and interesting they're both in Cleveland but other aspects don't fit. If those are the right guys, wonder what the chances are that a local Italian and Italian-looking guy were accidentally arrested with the others if they were coincidentally in the area. Probably not but one idea.
Last edited by B. on Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

B. wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:28 am A John Ciacchi born in December 1910 lived in Cleveland at the time. Don't know what age was given for "Giacchi" but looks like a teen. These Cleveland Ciacchis were from the Italian mainland though so doesn't really fit with such a young guy at an important meeting with all Sicilians.

Also a John Comsuta (b. 1898) was living in Cleveland at the time. Age would fit the guy in the photo but it looks like the Comsutas in Cleveland were from Romania so doesn't make sense.

Couldn't find any other similar matches and interesting they're both in Cleveland but other aspects don't fit.
Maybe they were two innocent young guys swept up in the police net. Anyways, thanks for the info. I knew someone here would have the answer.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:35 am
B. wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:28 am A John Ciacchi born in December 1910 lived in Cleveland at the time. Don't know what age was given for "Giacchi" but looks like a teen. These Cleveland Ciacchis were from the Italian mainland though so doesn't really fit with such a young guy at an important meeting with all Sicilians.

Also a John Comsuta (b. 1898) was living in Cleveland at the time. Age would fit the guy in the photo but it looks like the Comsutas in Cleveland were from Romania so doesn't make sense.

Couldn't find any other similar matches and interesting they're both in Cleveland but other aspects don't fit.
Maybe they were two innocent young guys swept up in the police net. Anyways, thanks for the info. I knew someone here would have the answer.
Haha, edited my post to say the same thing.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Giacchi - "Cool, they think I´m a Mafia member"

Gomsuta - "And I had to pick this hotel today to sell my kitchen appliances to"
There you have it, never printed before.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:44 am Giacchi - "Cool, they think I´m a Mafia member"

Gomsuta - "And I had to pick this hotel today to sell my kitchen appliances to"
Lol. In Gomsuta's case, Romanians at least are descended from Roman border troops. Maybe the cops were thinking of the really long-term connections.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Hahaha

Another Chicago connection with 1928 Cleveland is John Mirabella attended another national meeting in Chicago in the early 1930s. It was over a conflict in Los Angeles. Frank Bompensiero ran into Mirabella in St. Louis and Mirabella reminded Bomp they first met in Chicago at that time.

Wish we knew more about the other attendees at the Chicago meeting. The Bazzano trial/murder in 1932 NYC also had some of the same attendees as Cleveland, some of them not known to be bosses so I think some of these guys were like designated messengers/reps.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:48 pm
Antiliar wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:24 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:55 pm
That should have read that I believe he passed sometime "around 1911". I was never able to verify a death record for him either. Several of the ancestry family trees (which as you know are often riddled with errors) state that he died in 1911. Then his wife remarried in 1914 in OH (I have the marriage record for that). So I think it's reasonable that he probably did in fact die sometime around 1911. So that's my best guess, but it shouldn't read as if it were documented fact (can't edit now).

There was another Tommaso Gibaldi from Licata living in NYC during this period. This guy, however, was younger, born in 1895, and died in 1918 (the Tommaso Gibardi that we're interested in was born about 1873). Possible that they were cousins, given the same name. You mentioned death at sea, and there is a record for one of these Tommaso Gibardis arriving in NYC in 1911, but he is listed there as born about 1887. In that record, his occupation is listed as "sailor". I'm thinking that was the younger Tommaso, but who knows. Either way, there doesn't seem to be any further records that appear for McGurn's dad from that time on.

With the Genna/D'Amore thing, I have little confidence in these accounts (which get repeated ad infinitum in later texts as if they were proven fact) of perpetrators and motives for murders in that period. A lot of this stuff that was ostensibly ascribed to "Black Handers" or alky war stuff was likely the result of internal mafia politics (not that competition over bootlegging rackets didn't intersect with the politics also).
If I recall, there was also a Tommaso Gibaldi who died in Milwaukee in 1918. I agree that around 1911 is probably correct. They had a daughter born in 1910, then there's a gap. Yes, I also have the Gibaldi-D'Amore marriage record from FamilySearch. I've spent years trying to find the same things you've been searching for: the death date of Gibaldi and the birth location of D'Amore. There is a family tree with Gibaldi's birth record (which you can also find at FamilySearch).
It's a consolation to know that I'm not alone in my failures, lol.

Given that they wound up in Chicago, I think it's possible that D'Amore was related to some of the D'Amores there. So my wild guess is that he was likely either from Siculiana or Termini.

@Cavita -- given all the Agrigentesi in Rockford, have you ever come across any D'Amores connected to the mafia?
D'Amore is not a name seen in Rockford and I don't believe there is anyone there with that name.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:35 am

I'm wondering if they were aides or chauffeurs of some kind. Rockford LCN boss Tony Musso had Joe Marinelli, a Roman, as a chauffeur/bodyguard and later on he was made a member- Rockford's only non-SIcilian made member.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Was reading what Nick Gentile said about Chicago -- any leads on who Gentile's friend "Paolinello" was?

- Nickname for Paolo.
- Fled Chicago under death sentence from D'Andrea after seven of his associates were allegedly killed for petty theft. Murdered guys described as "Picciotti Palermitani", so mostly from Palermo.
- Put himself under Gentile's protection in Pittsburgh and Gentile sponsored him for membership.
- From "Palermo province" according to Gentile.
- Friends with Domenico Catalano of Chicago from Ciminna.
- Placed under protection of Chicago Heights boss Filippo Piazza from Caccamo. Not sure Paolinello already knew Piazza as Gentile was friends with Piazza and arranged it.
- Gentile sought out Milwaukee boss Vito Guardalabene from Bagheria/Santa Flavia for help with Paolinello.
- Wanted to stay for a while and visit relatives in Chicago after death sentence was lifted. Made member in Pittsburgh by this time, no indication if he stayed in Pitt permanently or not.

Seems like Paolinello was probably from one of the big Palermo villages Chicago recruited from given he's said to be from the province, close to a guy from Ciminna, and Gentile used bosses from Caccamo and Bagheria for help.

Paolinello fleeing to Pittsburgh -- Pitt later had the boss/underboss from Caccamo and a boss from Termini Imerese. Also had important guys from Trabia. More indication he was from that region.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Paolinello is another mystery. The death penalty for a petty theft is pretty severe, so they must have robbed someone of importance. Did they rob the boss's house and D'Andrea went full Tony Accardo on them? Unfortunately, Chicago had so many murders that it would be almost impossible to pin it down. We can assume this happened somewhere between 1914 and 1918. I think Paolinello was one of the boyz who helped kill the thousands of Calabrian Cammoristi Gentile exaggerated about.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

He might also be exaggerating/misremembering that seven "Picciotti Palermitani" were murdered.

When Paolinello's death sentence is lifted, Gentile said D'Andrea asked Paolo about taking the rings off people's fingers and Paolo said something about exchanging rings for money. Maybe a figure of speech but also a sign they were accused of robbing jewelry or something.

Couldn't find any Paolo in the Pittsburgh Family who would be a fit but I don't know much about that group. Could well have moved somewhere else.

Pittsburgh guys who could connect:

Stefano Monastero - Caccamo
Nicasio Landolina - Caccamo (possible relation to Chicago Heights leadership)
Sam Lima - Trabia
Salvatore Calderone - Termini
Vincenzo Catanzaro - Termini
Salvatore Catanzaro - Termini

Buffalo member Sam Rangatore was born in the Pittsburgh area and also came from Trabia.