General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: Why did US Marshall John Ambrose leak info to The Outfit re: Nick Calabrese?

Post by Snakes »

Ambrose was associated with a guy named William Guide, who was convicted in the "Marquette 10" case with Ambrose's father, Thomas, in 1982. The Marquette 10 were a group of crooked cops who accepted bribes to protect drug dealers in Chicago (specifically the Marquette district on the West Side). Thomas Ambrose served time in prison. It should also be noted that Guide was incarcerated with Angelo LaPietra at Danbury and then with John DiFronzo at Marion. Another cop convicted in the Marquette 10, Frank DeRango, served time with Joey Lombardo at Sandstone. Ambrose used the "bragging" defense but it's hard not to draw other conclusions based on the above connections. Marcello makes it pretty clear that someone is intentionally funneling information on the prison bugs, so probably one or more of the reasons you mentioned were true for Ambrose. If the cops above were paid off by heroin dealers, it would not be out of the realm of possibility that they were also on the Outfit's payroll. Considering Guide's connections to both John and his father as well as three high-ranking Outfit figures, they may have offered to assist his old man whenever he got released (1994).
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Re: Why did US Marshall John Ambrose leak info to The Outfit re: Nick Calabrese?

Post by SolarSolano »

Excellent thread - I believe Matassa was the one in contact with Guide and routing it to Mickey Marcello, correct? In addition to the Marcello recordings with detailed information about Calabrese's testimony, they also found Ambrose's fingerprints on Calabrese's witness protection file.

Guide owned "The Pizza King," which I believe was in New Lennox or someplace far south - supposedly, Ambrose had his agents using that restaurant as a staging area when Calabrese first came into Chicago to visit old murder sites. I think that is kind of insane honestly that no one picked up on that earlier given Guide was known to have Outfit connections.

I would have to assume Ambrose was hoping to get some serious cash - and I have to assume Guide and Matassa played him. Then Mickey Marcello testifies in court against him. So much for those gangsters helping you out.
ChicagoOutfit
Straightened out

Post by ChicagoOutfit »

Thanks Snakes and Solar that’s excellent info and well summarized.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

What I always found interesting is that Guide testified under oath against passing information to the Marcellos - said in court he knew DiFronzo, but was not involved in the Outfit. Then Mickey testified he was getting it from Guide, right? I always wonder how that all worked given Mickey essentially testified against Guide in the trial for Ambrose.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Snakes wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:34 am Ambrose was associated with a guy named William Guide, who was convicted in the "Marquette 10" case with Ambrose's father, Thomas, in 1982. The Marquette 10 were a group of crooked cops who accepted bribes to protect drug dealers in Chicago (specifically the Marquette district on the West Side). Thomas Ambrose served time in prison. It should also be noted that Guide was incarcerated with Angelo LaPietra at Danbury and then with John DiFronzo at Marion. Another cop convicted in the Marquette 10, Frank DeRango, served time with Joey Lombardo at Sandstone. Ambrose used the "bragging" defense but it's hard not to draw other conclusions based on the above connections. Marcello makes it pretty clear that someone is intentionally funneling information on the prison bugs, so probably one or more of the reasons you mentioned were true for Ambrose. If the cops above were paid off by heroin dealers, it would not be out of the realm of possibility that they were also on the Outfit's payroll. Considering Guide's connections to both John and his father as well as three high-ranking Outfit figures, they may have offered to assist his old man whenever he got released (1994).
Frank DeRango use to work as security at Dugan’s bar on Halsted in Greektown maybe about 10 years ago. Doubt he’s still there. I haven’t been there in years.

I always thought Ambrose did it out of loyalty rather for money. These guys knew his dad and might have grown up with him. I’m not sure what neighborhood he came from.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Patrickgold »

Anyone have info on Brad Aleman? He is supposedly the nephew of Harry Aleman and was a gang member in Chi-West. Supposedly a bad guy. Just read it in the book “The My Guy Club”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:01 pm Anyone have info on Brad Aleman? He is supposedly the nephew of Harry Aleman and was a gang member in Chi-West. Supposedly a bad guy. Just read it in the book “The My Guy Club”
I was wondering how this guy got plugged with Chi-West in the first place, given that they were based in West Town/Ukrainian Village and the Alemans were from the Taylor Patch. Chi-West was a mainly Ukrainian/Polish club also; most of the Italian kids in that area joined the C-Notes.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:19 pm
Patrickgold wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:01 pm Anyone have info on Brad Aleman? He is supposedly the nephew of Harry Aleman and was a gang member in Chi-West. Supposedly a bad guy. Just read it in the book “The My Guy Club”
I was wondering how this guy got plugged with Chi-West in the first place, given that they were based in West Town/Ukrainian Village and the Alemans were from the Taylor Patch. Chi-West was a mainly Ukrainian/Polish club also; most of the Italian kids in that area joined the C-Notes.
I would be interesting in knowing that too. So I’m guessing he was the son of Anthony Aleman??? It says in the book that he had already beat two murder charges by the 80s. I’m guessing he got strung out like a lot of the gang members from the 80s did and might have ODed. I have searched and nothing.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Dominick De Santis

Post by Antiliar »

Thanks guys. I found more on him. About 6'1" or 6'2" with a mean disposition. So disliked that while in Joliet the other prisoners ganged up on him and broke his hands.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:15 pm
PolackTony wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:19 pm
I would be interesting in knowing that too. So I’m guessing he was the son of Anthony Aleman??? It says in the book that he had already beat two murder charges by the 80s. I’m guessing he got strung out like a lot of the gang members from the 80s did and might have ODed. I have searched and nothing.
Yeah, the only mention of him I'm aware of was in that book. A lot of those old gangbangers got strung out on dope.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

I know people are going to crucify me for this, and have at it, but Im going to be in Chi-town in the near future, are there any joints left mob/owned/associated with that would be worth having a beer in? Any mob or just in general recommends for LCN or just good food, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Re: Dominick De Santis

Post by SolarSolano »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:24 pm Thanks guys. I found more on him. About 6'1" or 6'2" with a mean disposition. So disliked that while in Joliet the other prisoners ganged up on him and broke his hands.
Diesel, Angelo Scudero, Guy Cervone, Frank DeRosa, Sam Ariola, the Del Percio brothers were the crew always at Slicker Sam's in the 70s/80s. I think most of these guys were petty burglars and drug dealers who served as muscle for the Outfit.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:16 pm I know people are going to crucify me for this, and have at it, but Im going to be in Chi-town in the near future, are there any joints left mob/owned/associated with that would be worth having a beer in? Any mob or just in general recommends for LCN or just good food, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks.
I hate to say but there really aren't that many Outfit joints in the city proper that are left - I would bet money that those guys on Grand Avenue stopped going to Richards a decade ago when it became so trendy. There are a lot of mob 'owned' joints left - but most aren't really the mob type.

Most of the Outfit's business today is in the suburbs - I really don't think these guys are doing much hanging out. Sometimes you see old dago bookies in these video gambling joints in Berwyn or Melrose - but I just don't think you see the old gangsters holding court anymore. I really don't know much about Addison or Bloomingdale though and that may have more of those sicilian types.

If you are in the city, the real only place I can think of is Ristorante Agostino on Harlem or Mart Antony off Grand Avenue.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:02 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:16 pm I know people are going to crucify me for this, and have at it, but Im going to be in Chi-town in the near future, are there any joints left mob/owned/associated with that would be worth having a beer in? Any mob or just in general recommends for LCN or just good food, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks.
I hate to say but there really aren't that many Outfit joints in the city proper that are left - I would bet money that those guys on Grand Avenue stopped going to Richards a decade ago when it became so trendy. There are a lot of mob 'owned' joints left - but most aren't really the mob type.

Most of the Outfit's business today is in the suburbs - I really don't think these guys are doing much hanging out. Sometimes you see old dago bookies in these video gambling joints in Berwyn or Melrose - but I just don't think you see the old gangsters holding court anymore. I really don't know much about Addison or Bloomingdale though and that may have more of those sicilian types.

If you are in the city, the real only place I can think of is Ristorante Agostino on Harlem or Mart Antony off Grand Avenue.
Agostinos is closed because of a fire in the kitchen that happened last summer. Their son just opened up a new restaurant on Taylor street. You want to see Outfit guys then go to Chickies on Roosevelt before lunch. You will see them at a table by the door. Also Seen many Outfit guys at Taverna in Melrose Park. For nightlife go to Venuti’s in Addison on a Thursday to Saturday night. You will see Outfit guys there too. You might see Bobby Dominic at Richards if you are there before 7 or 8. If Outfit guys are going to Richards it’s during the day. Most leave by 8 or 9. Other than that, it’s hit or miss. Rosebuds might have some but the place is so big you might not even notice. Same with Rush street. Tavern on rush has always been a hangout. I heard that new place “Am I Live” next to the Capri in Burr Ridge is a new hangout. Gigi the owner is an Outfit guy and you will see him there.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:02 pm
I hate to say but there really aren't that many Outfit joints in the city proper that are left - ....
Cheers Solar.
What about good food joints to eat? Any good peasant food/sauce joints/Deep dish you can recommend?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.