Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by PolackTony »

Joseph Dminic Spadavecchio was born 1628 in Chicago to Vincenzo Spadavecchio of Carbonara di Bari, Puglia and Antoniella/Antoinette Nigro. Antoinette was born in Chicago 1904 to parents (Giuseppe Nigro and Agnes Schiola) recently arrived from Laurenzana, Potenza, Basilicata. Antoinette grew up on Taylor St but following her marriage the Spadavecchios lived in West Garfield Park near Congress and Cicero, where Joe Spa grew up. In 1950, Joe Spa married Theresa Cocchio, whose ancestry I haven't confirmed (Cocchio is probably not the original spelling).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Vincenzo Belcastro was born 1895 in Celito, Cosenza, Calabria. I haven't been successful in confirming when he arrived in the US, but his WW1 draft registration in 1917 had him living on S Racine in the Taylor St "Patch". Several records for Belcastro simply state Cosenza or Calabria for his origin, but his WW2 draft registration specifies Celito. Belcastro married Rose Fanelli, born 1904 in Chicago to Donato/Daniele and Rosa Fanelli of Laurenzana, Potenza, Basilicata. The Belcastros subsequently moved to 78th and Marshfield in the Auburn Gresham area on the Southside.

Per the Chicago Tribune and other sources, Rose's brother was Outfit member Rocco Fanelli. Antiliar has Fanelli down as having ancestry from Campobasso, but I don't believe that's correct. On Rose Fanelli's 1904 birth certificate (where she appears as Rosina Fanella), her parents are reported as being from Laurenzana (where the surname Fanelli is also well recorded). There were multiple Rocco Fanellis in Chicago but the one we're interested in I believe was the Rocco Vincenzo Fanelli born 1900 in Chicago to Donato/Daniele and Rosa Fanelli.

EDIT: The Tribune stated that Jimmy Belcastro was unrelated to the Rocco Belcastro killed in 1933. When I investigated Rocco Belcastro, I was only able to verify that his parents were from Calabria. Numerous Ancestry family trees state that they came from Caulonia in Reggio Calabria (and thus very unlikely would've had any connection to Jimmy Belcastro from Cosenza), but I have not found documentation to actually confirm this.
Last edited by PolackTony on Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Vincenzo/James Pat Franzone was born 1901 in either Tunis, Tunisia (then a colonial territory of France) or Chicago to Salvatore Franzone and Maria Grazia Taormina of Borgetto, Palermo province. On his WW2 draft registration, James Franzone (then resident in San Francisco) stated that he was born in Tunis, while his death record in IL in 1980 states that he was born in Chicago (both records state the birthdate as 08/06/1901). His death record states that both parents were from Palermo, while a marriage record from Borgetto supports that they were from Borgetto.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Anthony Centracchio was born 1929 in Chicago to Ercole Centracchio of Rocchetta al Volturno, Isernia, Molise and Antonia Di Cianni. Antonia was born in Paris, France (per her US naturalization declaration) to Giuseppe Di Cianni and Anna Iacovetti Fosco of Pizzone, Isernia, Molise; her family settled in Chicago after she was born (worth noting that the ancestry of the Outfit Foscos also goes back to Pizzone). As a kid, Tony Centracchio lived on S Keeler near Polk in the West Garfield Park neighborhood.

I had stated above in this thread that Tony Centracchio's mother was from Calabria, but that doesn't seem to be correct. I am pretty certain hat this is the correct genealogy.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Vincent Joseph Inserra was born 1911 in St Louis (hence the ironic nickname “Saint”) to Giuseppe Inserra and Maria Grazia Peri, the latter from Caccamo. I haven't had much success in confirming info about Giuseppe. In 1920 the family lived in St Louis with Grazia as the head of household, but then in 1930 Grazia was living with her children in Chicago in the Taylor St Patch. In 1940 on Grazia's US naturalization document, she stated that she was born in Caccamo and married Giuseppe 1903 in Joliet. At the time the document was filed, she stated that Giuseppe was living in St Louis (also worth noting that her eldest child, Mariano, born 1904, was incarcerated in Leavenworth). The document states that Giuseppe was also born (1880) in Caccamo, though that was then crossed out and "Italy" printed next to it. Subsequently, Giuseppe seems to have rejoined her in Chicago, where they were living near Harding and Chicago Ave in Humboldt Park. Grazia died in 1945, though I haven't been able to confirm Giuseppe's death. There is a Joseph Inserra, about the right age (born 1883) who died in 1944 in Fulton, MO and was buried in St Louis. The "findagrave" entry (for Favarra/Inserra family graves) has his birthplace as "Palermo", while his death record states Sicily/Italy. This Joseph Inserra was married to a woman named Mariana Annunzio, though it's possible that the Giuseppe Inserra married to Grazia Peri had a second family in MO given the long separation with Grazia. There is a record for a Giuseppe Inserra (born ~1875) who entered New Orleans in 1892. Another possibility is that Giuseppe was in the mafia and was using an alternate name, who knows.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

James Vincent Mondi was born 1884 in Cosenza province, Calabria to Pasquale Mondi and Maria Russo. I haven't been able to identify their comune of origin, just that they were both listed on Jimmy's death record as hailing from Cosenza province. It's possible that the name may have originally been something like Monte, DeMonte, Belmonte, etc. Jimmy arrived in the US as a young kid, as all of his siblings seem to have been born after him in Chicago. Pasquale Mondi died in 1910 ad in that year Maria was living with her kids by Wentworth and 31st, in the 2nd Ward on the Near Southside. After marrying his wife Florence Glassner, Jimmy Mondi lived in the Westside Austin neighborhood.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Anthony James Granito was born Antonio Granito in Chicago, 1918, to Angelo Granito and Pasqualina Antonucci of Altomonte, Cosenza, Calabria. Tony the Head (the Tribune also pegged his nickname as "Tony the Kid" in the 1960s) grew up near the corner of Van Buren and Richmond in the East Garfield Park neighborhood on the Westside, where he was still living in 1940 when he filed his WW2 draft registration.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Joseph Guzzino was born 1899 in Donaldsville, Ascension Parish, Louisiana, to Salvatore Guzzino and Salvatora/Corinne Marcello. As with many of the Sicilians who entered the US via NOLA, it can be difficult to pinpoint exact Sicilian origins. Death record and entry at the port of NOLA for Salvatore state Palermo (I think that he may have been from Caccamo, but haven't been able to confirm), while for Salvatora I can't narrow it down further than Sicily.

Joseph's brother Phillip Guzzino was born 1906 in Chicago Heights. He married Florence Piacenti, who seems to have been born in Napoli to parents from Cervinara, Avellino. Their two sons were Sam and Richard Guzzino.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antonio Spano aka "Giuseppe Nerone" aka "Il Cavaliero" was born in Marsala, Trapani, 1890. After his 1926 murder in Chicago, he was buried in the Cimitero Comunale in Marsala.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Nicola Neroni was born 1885 in Acquaviva Pecena, Ascoli Piceno, Marche. He entered the US in 1906 at NYC bound for Chicago. In 1910, he was living in Chicago Heights as a lodger and already working for the Hod Carriers union. Per his WW1 draft registration and the 1920 census, he lived at 1021 N Orleans, in the Near Northside Little Sicily. By 1930, he was back living in the Heights again. He traveled to Italy several times in the 1930s - 1950s, which may be worthy of note given that Dom Ruberto was in Italy. Neroni died in 1966.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Very little info for James Intravia. In 1898, a James Intravaia married Maria Inzerillo in Chicago. This James Intravaia was born in 1874 (presumably somewhere in Palermo province) and should be the same James Intravaia who died 1971 in Independence, MO. James and Maria lived in Kansas City, where James' parents Antonino Intravaia and Benedetta Sciortino both died. Given the surname, it is very likely that Intravaia was either from Citta di Palermo or Monreale (given her surname, his wife was very likely from Metro Palermo). If this isn't the James Intravia who attended the Hotel Statler meeting, then I don't know who is, as I don't have any matches with anyone showing a residence in Chicago. It's possible that Intravia was reporting that he lived in KC while he was actually operating in Chicago. Or he maintained bases in both cities. Then, after the Aiello faction lost the war, he returned to KC permanently.

Interesting note, but in 1930 the Tribune reported that Miami authorities were holding a number of visiting Chicago mobsters in their jail. These included Joe Aiello and his bodyguard Jack Costa, James Intravia, Jack Zuta, "Jack McGurn", and a man calling himself "Tony McGurn", who the Tribune speculated was actually Accardo. Intravia gave his address as Grand Ave near May (incidentally, Accardo's childhood home). Back in 1924, the Tribune also reported that a James Intravia, who owned a shoe store at 244 W North Ave, reported that he'd been robbed.

EDIT: Found an arrival at NYC in 1903 of an Antonio and Benedetta Intravaia, from Monreale. They were headed to KC where their son Giacchino Intravaia was living. On his WW1 draft registration, James Intravaia stated his name as Giacchino Intravaia, born 1874.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:30 pm Very little info for James Intravia. In 1898, a James Intravaia married Maria Inzerillo in Chicago. This James Intravaia was born in 1874 (presumably somewhere in Palermo province) and should be the same James Intravaia who died 1971 in Independence, MO. James and Maria lived in Kansas City, where James' parents Antonino Intravaia and Benedetta Sciortino both died. Given the surname, it is very likely that Intravaia was either from Citta di Palermo or Monreale (given her surname, his wife was very likely from Metro Palermo). If this isn't the James Intravia who attended the Hotel Statler meeting, then I don't know who is, as I don't have any matches with anyone showing a residence in Chicago. It's possible that Intravia was reporting that he lived in KC while he was actually operating in Chicago. Or he maintained bases in both cities. Then, after the Aiello faction lost the war, he returned to KC permanently.

Interesting note, but in 1930 the Tribune reported that Miami authorities were holding a number of visiting Chicago mobsters in their jail. These included Joe Aiello and his bodyguard Jack Costa, James Intravia, Jack Zuta, "Jack McGurn", and a man calling himself "Tony McGurn", who the Tribune speculated was actually Accardo. Intravia gave his address as Grand Ave near May (incidentally, Accardo's childhood home). Back in 1924, the Tribune also reported that a James Intravia, who owned a shoe store at 244 W North Ave, reported that he'd been robbed.

EDIT: Found an arrival at NYC in 1903 of an Antonio and Benedetta Intravaia, from Monreale. They were headed to KC where their son Giacchino Intravaia was living. On his WW1 draft registration, James Intravaia stated his name as Giacchino Intravaia, born 1874.
The James Intrava (that's the spelling used) arrested in the Cleveland meeting was 34 years old, so born around 1894. His real surname could have been Intravaia, or he could have been using an alias.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:00 am
PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:30 pm Very little info for James Intravia. In 1898, a James Intravaia married Maria Inzerillo in Chicago. This James Intravaia was born in 1874 (presumably somewhere in Palermo province) and should be the same James Intravaia who died 1971 in Independence, MO. James and Maria lived in Kansas City, where James' parents Antonino Intravaia and Benedetta Sciortino both died. Given the surname, it is very likely that Intravaia was either from Citta di Palermo or Monreale (given her surname, his wife was very likely from Metro Palermo). If this isn't the James Intravia who attended the Hotel Statler meeting, then I don't know who is, as I don't have any matches with anyone showing a residence in Chicago. It's possible that Intravia was reporting that he lived in KC while he was actually operating in Chicago. Or he maintained bases in both cities. Then, after the Aiello faction lost the war, he returned to KC permanently.

The James Intrava (that's the spelling used) arrested in the Cleveland meeting was 34 years old, so born around 1894. His real surname could have been Intravaia, or he could have been using an alias.
Thanks for confirming that. Unless some further info pops up the the Chicago James Intravia may remain a mystery.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:26 am

Thanks for confirming that. Unless some further info pops up the the Chicago James Intravia may remain a mystery.
I know when I come across the name James in research it has usually translated from Vincenzo or Girolamo. Has that route been looked into?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:52 am
PolackTony wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:26 am

I know when I come across the name James in research it has usually translated from Vincenzo or Girolamo. Has that route been looked into?
Good timing, lol. I found a Girolamo Intravaia from Monreale, born 1894, who arrived at NYC in 1913 bound for Chicago. His naturalization documents in 1926 had him as born in 1894 and living at 1428 N Sedgwick on the Near Northside. So this should be him!