Massino and Vitale

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Massino and Vitale

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Almost done with the DeStefeno book on Vinny Basciano and while it’s discussed briefly, it doesn’t go into too much detail about why Massino treated Sal Vitale with such contempt. Vitale kept the machine running when Massino was locked up, but it seems like Massino was constantly insulting him or taking away responsibilities or limiting Vitale’s earning potential. Vitale flipping seemed like a no brainer. Massino was clearly a smart guy—he basically built that family up by himself. But he did himself no favors by treating Vitale the way he did. What’s the story there?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Massino and Vitale

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Massino was upset with the way Vitale conducted himself and ran things while he (Massino) was locked up. Evidently Vitale was holding big Gotti style meetings with the Capos and members out in public and this didn't sit well with Massino. I'm sure there were other reasons.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:17 pm Massino was upset with the way Vitale conducted himself and ran things while he (Massino) was locked up. Evidently Vitale was holding big Gotti style meetings with the Capos and members out in public and this didn't sit well with Massino. I'm sure there were other reasons.

Pogo
I gotcha. Seemed like Massino didn’t really love any of his options towards the end. Appeared he didn’t have confidence the 3 captain panel would work and he wasn’t crazy about Basciano. Just didn’t have a lot of ppl to turn to at that point.
Uforeality
Straightened out

Post by Uforeality »

I remember reading somewhere that Vitale had a big mouth and he was doing the "big show" stuff. Who knows tho. These guys off each and turn their backs on their own for seemingly slight misunderstandings.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

I can just imagine Massino mad asf saying “I put all that work in for this guy to flip on me? Fuck this I’m flipping too.”
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Used him to kill george s in 99 so he trusted him then. Stuff probaly got bad for vitale when he got indicted in 2000. Massino probaly didnt want the heat
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:14 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:17 pm Massino was upset with the way Vitale conducted himself and ran things while he (Massino) was locked up. Evidently Vitale was holding big Gotti style meetings with the Capos and members out in public and this didn't sit well with Massino. I'm sure there were other reasons.

Pogo
I gotcha. Seemed like Massino didn’t really love any of his options towards the end. Appeared he didn’t have confidence the 3 captain panel would work and he wasn’t crazy about Basciano. Just didn’t have a lot of ppl to turn to at that point.

It is is covered in one of the Massino books. Vitale's big public meetings when Massino was away led to some guys getting indicted/subpoenaed (forgot which). This upset Massino and soured their relationship.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Shellackhead wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:39 pm I can just imagine Massino mad asf saying “I put all that work in for this guy to flip on me? Fuck this I’m flipping too.”
I’m dead serious when I say that Massino realizing what his food situation was going to be for the next 20+ years probably played a role in his decision to cooperate. Massino loved eating food and he loved talking about food. On both occasions he was wired up before going to see Basciano, he ended up complaining about prison food for huge chunks of the conversation.
Luca
Honorary Member

Post by Luca »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:01 pm Almost done with the DeStefeno book on Vinny Basciano and while it’s discussed briefly, it doesn’t go into too much detail about why Massino treated Sal Vitale with such contempt. Vitale kept the machine running when Massino was locked up, but it seems like Massino was constantly insulting him or taking away responsibilities or limiting Vitale’s earning potential. Vitale flipping seemed like a no brainer. Massino was clearly a smart guy—he basically built that family up by himself. But he did himself no favors by treating Vitale the way he did. What’s the story there?
Off topic but is this book any good? I’m looking for a new mob book to read….
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Luca wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:59 pm
Amershire_Ed wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:01 pm Almost done with the DeStefeno book on Vinny Basciano and while it’s discussed briefly, it doesn’t go into too much detail about why Massino treated Sal Vitale with such contempt. Vitale kept the machine running when Massino was locked up, but it seems like Massino was constantly insulting him or taking away responsibilities or limiting Vitale’s earning potential. Vitale flipping seemed like a no brainer. Massino was clearly a smart guy—he basically built that family up by himself. But he did himself no favors by treating Vitale the way he did. What’s the story there?
Off topic but is this book any good? I’m looking for a new mob book to read….
Yeah it’s pretty good. Obviously wasn’t written with any help from Basciano but so many people snitched on him that there’s plenty of first hand accounts from trials and wiretaps. And plus, Basciano is quite a character. Some legit LOL funny parts. Lotta stuff in there about Massino.
Dapper_Don
Straightened out

Post by Dapper_Don »

Pogo
Interesting considering Basciano was the only one "doing the right thing" and kicking up money to Massino's wife at that point according to Massino.

Massino, et.al knew the indictment was coming down and guys like Basciano (maybe also Urso) were concerned about Vitale flipping and flouted the idea of hitting Vitale but Massino nixed it. Then basically the whole family is taken down when Vitale and others flip.
"Bill had to go, he was getting too powerful. If Allie Boy went away on a gun charge, Bill would have took over the family” - Joe Campy testimony about Jackie DeRoss explaining Will Bill murder
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Dapper_Don wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:34 am

Pogo
Interesting considering Basciano was the only one "doing the right thing" and kicking up money to Massino's wife at that point according to Massino.

Massino, et.al knew the indictment was coming down and guys like Basciano (maybe also Urso) were concerned about Vitale flipping and flouted the idea of hitting Vitale but Massino nixed it. Then basically the whole family is taken down when Vitale and others flip.
He did like that about Basciano. Basciano had also told Massino if they were locked up together he would help take care of him because of Massino’s numerous health issues. But Massino thought Basciano was too quick to kill. Barney approached Massino and offered to kill Basciano because they thought he was walking around acting like John Gotti.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:36 pm
Shellackhead wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:39 pm I can just imagine Massino mad asf saying “I put all that work in for this guy to flip on me? Fuck this I’m flipping too.”
I’m dead serious when I say that Massino realizing what his food situation was going to be for the next 20+ years probably played a role in his decision to cooperate. Massino loved eating food and he loved talking about food. On both occasions he was wired up before going to see Basciano, he ended up complaining about prison food for huge chunks of the conversation.
This is hilarious. Massino told one of his arresting agents that his restaurant (Casablanca) had the best pizza in all of NYC - i find that very, very, very hard to believe
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

LOOOL THEN I guess you’re right, if he complained about the food then that’s probably a major reason why he decided to flip.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

newera_212 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:19 pm
This is hilarious. Massino told one of his arresting agents that his restaurant (Casablanca) had the best pizza in all of NYC - i find that very, very, very hard to believe
Yeah this book talks about Massino being real polite and conversational with law enforcement as a general principle. Even at his trial, he would frequently riff with one the female FBI agents. But it always about food.