Gambino 1980 Hierarchy

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

eboli
Full Patched

Re: Gambino 1980 Hierarchy

Post by eboli »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:34 pm For Frank D'Apolito, 12/1/23, I have his parents being Nunzio and Giovanna Veltri from Mugnano del Cardinale, Salerno.. Does that sound right? Spoke to someone who thought he was Sicilian.

I've come across a great amount of Salernitans in the Gambinos, at least 3 captains. Michele Caiazza, Salernitan was considered a Dellacroce guy, a fact that DiLeonardo also confirmed, leading to the belief that the Napolitan and Salernitans fell in with one another, makes sense given that they were one province over.

I guess, if they fell under the Naps it might easier to just label them that for simplicity sake (just like I'm labeling Bisacquinese-descended members as Sciaccatan despite Bisacquino being in Palermo province.) There are members of Salernitan descent but I've never heard any fully constituted Salernitan mob faction like Gambino "Dellacroce wing" or the "Calabrese Faction" of Philadelphia or even the go-along-get-along Sciaccatan of NY/NJ.

Thoughts, input, opinions welcome.
Nunzio's wife Jenny was from Lago, Calabria. They had a bakery on Prince Street in Manhattan. This article talks a bit about it:
https://gothamist.com/food/century-old- ... nce-street
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Ahh Ok. But Nunzio was Salernitan, not sicilian?
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:56 pm Ahh Ok. But Nunzio was Salernitan, not sicilian?
According to ship manifest and naturalization papers, he was from Mugnano del Cardinale, Avellino, Campania.
He most definitely wasn't from Sicily.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:03 am My notes- cite pogo
Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:41 am
Armand “Buddy” Dellacroce
Robert "Bobby Cabert" Bisaccia (Fall 1977)
Ralph Broccoli
James Eppolito Jr.-?
Joey Russo-?
Louie Greco-?
Just confirming these guys dont belong on 1980 chart, they were allegedly made in the 70's.
TSNYC
Straightened out

Post by TSNYC »

Clark wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:24 am Hey Chris!

Benny Terranova would have for sure been in that Scotto crew. I have that he died in the late-1970s (specifically between 1975-1977), but I can't seem to find my source. I know that up until 1974 he was still a delegate of ILA 1814.

I also wonder about some of those other older ILA 1814/1277 officials that date back to the Anthony Anastasio days, but for most I can't confirm who was made and who wasn't. Lots passed away in the 1960s and 1970s anyway.
Do you have a list of those old timers?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

TSNYC wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:36 pm
Clark wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:24 am Hey Chris!

Benny Terranova would have for sure been in that Scotto crew. I have that he died in the late-1970s (specifically between 1975-1977), but I can't seem to find my source. I know that up until 1974 he was still a delegate of ILA 1814.

I also wonder about some of those other older ILA 1814/1277 officials that date back to the Anthony Anastasio days, but for most I can't confirm who was made and who wasn't. Lots passed away in the 1960s and 1970s anyway.
Do you have a list of those old timers?
I'd also like to see those names. I started a 60s Gams thread and am slowly putting the info together with HK. I could look up their bgs a d show the names to DiLeonardo and see if he ever heard of them.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

As far as 1980s go. Got about half of the names identified through official documents but theres alot of names I could use help with. I'll start w captains and then go through it crew by crew.

Cheech is still compiling photos, once hes done I'll post an update.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:31 am Does anyone have anymore info on Joseph Gambino? He died April 1st, 2004 but I'm seeing several results. The first has the correct DOB- 1/20/1930 but the death date- 4/1/2004 matches the second one which states this Gambino was born to an Angelo and Francesca.

NAME: Joseph Gambino
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: 096-34-0363
BIRTH DATE: 20 Jan 1930
ISSUE YEAR: 1959-1961
ISSUE STATE: New York
LAST RESIDENCE: 11783, Seaford, Nassau, New York, USA
DEATH DATE: 1 Apr 2004

NAME: Joe Gambino
RACE: White
BIRTH DATE: 7 Jul 1932
BIRTH PLACE: Palermo, Italy
FATHER: Angelo Gambino
MOTHER: Francesca Spina
SSN: 096340363
NOTES: Jan 1960: Name listed as JOE GAMBINO; 23 Apr 2004: Name listed as JOSEPH GAMBINO
is this joe red gambino?
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

I'd also like to see those names. I started a 60s Gams thread and am slowly putting the info together with HK. I could look up their bgs a d show the names to DiLeonardo and see if he ever heard of them.
Here are a list of possible names. I am in no way saying that any of the below are made, but they are just some candidates outside of the usual ILA ones that we have seen as confirmed (ie. Joseph Colozzo, Terranova, Mario Cinisomo, Anthony Scotto, Anthony Anastasio, Pimpinella etc.). I am sure that there were lots and lots of associates around 1814 (including some of the names below), especially when it was at its peak, but I tried to only list individuals with more serious criminal records, long-standing ties to the more criminal elements within the union, and those with close family relationships to other made members.

Pre-Anastasio
Emil Camarda- Murdered in 1941. Given the amount of control he had over the Brooklyn piers, he would need to be a candidate for being an early Gambino member.
Anthony N Camarda- Died in 1950. Was Secretary-Treasurer of 1199 and the brother of Emil.
Salvatore Camarda- Cousin of Emil and brother of Anthony J. He took over as Sectrery-Treasurer of 327 after Anthony J died.
Anthony J Camarda- Cousin of Emil and brother of Salvatore. Secretary-Treasurer of 327. Died in 1950.
Costantino Scannavino- Business Agent of 1199 and brother-in-law to the Mangano family. Also an Organizer and VP in the ILA. Died in 1969.
Salvatore Mangiameli- President of Local 338. His name appears on all sorts of committees/dinners dating back to the Mangano family, but he and his sons also maintained control of Local 338 during the early Anastasio years until it was eventually merged until 1814. Died in 1970.
Anthony Giustra- Secretary-Treasurer of 338-1 and brother of John "Silk Stockings" Giustra. Died in 1956.

Anastasio Years
John Scotto- Father of Anthony Scotto and the Secretary-Treasurer of 1827. He also later became involved in 1814. Died in 1993.
Ciro Ingenito- Longtime Business Agent of 338-1 (the same one that Jerry Anastasio was a Business Agent for). Died in 1996.
Paul Crisalli- Brother of Vincent Crisalli and Business Agent of 1277.
Battista Balsamo- A good bet to be a made member due to his extensive criminal ties/serious record. I can't remember, but I think I might have even seen him identified somewhere? Business Agent of 1277. Died in 1969.
Frank Russo- Extremely close associate of Anthony Anastasio and the Business Agent of 327.
Salvatore Trapani- Sergeant-at-Arms for 327. When the local was merged into 1814, he remained a prominent member for many years. Died in 1975.
Pietro Rossi- Long-time Secretary-Treasurer of 327-1 (which was Anthony Anastasio's union before 1814). Died in 1968.
Gerardo Anastasio- Business Agent of 338-1 and brother of Anthony and Albert. I would strongly suspect he was made. Died in 1958.

I have always been fascinated with Carmelo Coppolino too. We know he was Genovese, but he goes all the way back to Anthony Anastasio and lasts right through the Anthony Scotto years. He and Anastasio had a very hot and cold relationship (to the point that Anastasio thought Coppolino would kill him). Coppolino's brother-in-law, Martin La Torre, was also a pretty prominent figure on the waterfront during the 1950s. The Brooklyn docks were clearly Gambino, so it always was strange to me that he was right there too.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Clark wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:00 am Battista Balsamo- A good bet to be a made member due to his extensive criminal ties/serious record. I can't remember, but I think I might have even seen him identified somewhere? Business Agent of 1277. Died in 1969.

He was the first boss of the Gambino family. The first Godfather.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

CornerBoy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:30 am
Chris Christie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:31 am Does anyone have anymore info on Joseph Gambino? He died April 1st, 2004 but I'm seeing several results. The first has the correct DOB- 1/20/1930 but the death date- 4/1/2004 matches the second one which states this Gambino was born to an Angelo and Francesca.

NAME: Joseph Gambino
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: 096-34-0363
BIRTH DATE: 20 Jan 1930
ISSUE YEAR: 1959-1961
ISSUE STATE: New York
LAST RESIDENCE: 11783, Seaford, Nassau, New York, USA

NAME: Joe Gambino
RACE: White
BIRTH DATE: 7 Jul 1932
BIRTH PLACE: Palermo, Italy
FATHER: Angelo Gambino
MOTHER: Francesca Spina
SSN: 096340363
NOTES: Jan 1960: Name listed as JOE GAMBINO; 23 Apr 2004: Name listed as JOSEPH GAMBINO
is this joe red gambino?
Not sure. HK would know.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:06 am
Clark wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:00 am Battista Balsamo- A good bet to be a made member due to his extensive criminal ties/serious record. I can't remember, but I think I might have even seen him identified somewhere? Business Agent of 1277. Died in 1969.

Pogo
LOL, yeah. Oof. Bill never foreseen more info coming out which completely erased the tale of his granddad. But all that bullshit aside, he was either from Terrasini or Partinico and hence likely had relatives in Detroit (made or not). I found that the Gambino Crachiola was also Terrasinese so the Gambinos may have had a small contingent of people from these regions early on.

I believe there was a Battista Balsamo who went to Gambinos funeral but wasn't confirmed if it was the same guy or not. Search goes on...
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Clark wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:00 am

Here are a list of possible names. I am in no way saying that any of the below are made, but they are just some candidates outside of the usual ILA ones that we have seen as confirmed (ie. Joseph Colozzo, Terranova, Mario Cinisomo, Anthony Scotto, Anthony Anastasio, Pimpinella etc.). I am sure that there were lots and lots of associates around 1814 (including some of the names below), especially when it was at its peak, but I tried to only list individuals with more serious criminal records, long-standing ties to the more criminal elements within the union, and those with close family relationships to other made members.

Pre-Anastasio
Emil Camarda- Murdered in 1941. Given the amount of control he had over the Brooklyn piers, he would need to be a candidate for being an early Gambino member.
Anthony N Camarda- Died in 1950. Was Secretary-Treasurer of 1199 and the brother of Emil.
Salvatore Camarda- Cousin of Emil and brother of Anthony J. He took over as Sectrery-Treasurer of 327 after Anthony J died.
Anthony J Camarda- Cousin of Emil and brother of Salvatore. Secretary-Treasurer of 327. Died in 1950.
Costantino Scannavino- Business Agent of 1199 and brother-in-law to the Mangano family. Also an Organizer and VP in the ILA. Died in 1969.
Salvatore Mangiameli- President of Local 338. His name appears on all sorts of committees/dinners dating back to the Mangano family, but he and his sons also maintained control of Local 338 during the early Anastasio years until it was eventually merged until 1814. Died in 1970.
Anthony Giustra- Secretary-Treasurer of 338-1 and brother of John "Silk Stockings" Giustra. Died in 1956.

Anastasio Years
John Scotto- Father of Anthony Scotto and the Secretary-Treasurer of 1827. He also later became involved in 1814. Died in 1993.
Ciro Ingenito- Longtime Business Agent of 338-1 (the same one that Jerry Anastasio was a Business Agent for). Died in 1996.
Paul Crisalli- Brother of Vincent Crisalli and Business Agent of 1277.
Battista Balsamo- A good bet to be a made member due to his extensive criminal ties/serious record. I can't remember, but I think I might have even seen him identified somewhere? Business Agent of 1277. Died in 1969.
Frank Russo- Extremely close associate of Anthony Anastasio and the Business Agent of 327.
Salvatore Trapani- Sergeant-at-Arms for 327. When the local was merged into 1814, he remained a prominent member for many years. Died in 1975.
Pietro Rossi- Long-time Secretary-Treasurer of 327-1 (which was Anthony Anastasio's union before 1814). Died in 1968.
Gerardo Anastasio- Business Agent of 338-1 and brother of Anthony and Albert. I would strongly suspect he was made. Died in 1958.

I have always been fascinated with Carmelo Coppolino too. We know he was Genovese, but he goes all the way back to Anthony Anastasio and lasts right through the Anthony Scotto years. He and Anastasio had a very hot and cold relationship (to the point that Anastasio thought Coppolino would kill him). Coppolino's brother-in-law, Martin La Torre, was also a pretty prominent figure on the waterfront during the 1950s. The Brooklyn docks were clearly Gambino, so it always was strange to me that he was right there too.
I'll look these up, will take some time. I may move this to the 60's thread. Thanks!
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

Pogo
LOL I totally forgot about that one. This one was born in 1902, went by Tito, and I think had a couple of murder charges over the years (or at least one). He was heavily involved in 1277 with Joseph Colozzo.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Battista Balsalmo, the one I found lived either in red hook or a little south, square drop into Gambino territory which may be why they went Gam and not Bonanno like I would have expected.