Gambino 1980 Hierarchy

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bronx
Full Patched

Re: Gambino 1980 Hierarchy

Post by bronx »

# was what is marked on the chart
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

bronx wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:10 pm interesting.joe gallo's father from bisacquino also i believe lived in alabama..chris is that correct?
Yes, Joe Gallo was born in Alabama and his father Michele came from Bisaquino.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Toddo Aurello is a match:

New York births
Name: Salvatore Avarelio
Birth Date: 22 Mar 1914
Birth Place: Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Certificate Number: 16273
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:26 pm Toddo Aurello is a match:

New York births
Is it Avarello or -elio? I seen both but more were spelled the former.

I sent you the Conte stuff and it turns out I'm mistaken on some things. Which is why it pays to have others go over stuff. I'm usually great with manifests but this one, the way it was positioned, made me misunderstand. So scrap that, Conte appears to have been Palermitan.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

bronx wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:10 pm interesting.joe gallo's father from bisacquino also i believe lived in alabama..chris is that correct?
Yeah. And what's interesting is that there were people from Bisacquino still immigrating to that area in 1910. I always thought it was an older colony that peaked before 1900 but perhaps that's not the case.

Bill Bonanno claimed Birmingham disbanded because most of its members were old but there seems to have been more factors that led to its desinigration. Maybe the political and social atmosphere wasn't favorable to them which led younger members to transfer to new lands more hospitable.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:29 am
Yeah. And what's interesting is that there were people from Bisacquino still immigrating to that area in 1910. I always thought it was an older colony that peaked before 1900 but perhaps that's not the case.

Bill Bonanno claimed Birmingham disbanded because most of its members were old but there seems to have been more factors that led to its desinigration. Maybe the political and social atmosphere wasn't favorable to them which led younger members to transfer to new lands more hospitable.
Maybe not a big enough wider Italian community for LCN to expand and grow enough to remain viable long term?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:42 am

Maybe not a big enough wider Italian community for LCN to expand and grow enough to remain viable long term?
Well, it certainly wasn't at the top of the Italian heap where the awards went to NYC, Chicago and Pittsburgh in 3rd place but we've seen the LCN develop and maintain a presence for a time in other small cities like Madison, Kansas and Dallas which we could conclude that city size doesn't determine a Family's presence alone. The question asks if Birmingham an anomaly or were there other groups that went inactive in the 1930's or before that fell under our radar. I don't really know either way. It wouldn't surprise me if Philadelphia started out as 3 groups, Flint had its own group and Utica was at one time autonomous, but I don't have any evidence to make the argument.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Does anyone have anymore info on Joseph Gambino? He died April 1st, 2004 but I'm seeing several results. The first has the correct DOB- 1/20/1930 but the death date- 4/1/2004 matches the second one which states this Gambino was born to an Angelo and Francesca.

NAME: Joseph Gambino
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: 096-34-0363
BIRTH DATE: 20 Jan 1930
ISSUE YEAR: 1959-1961
ISSUE STATE: New York
LAST RESIDENCE: 11783, Seaford, Nassau, New York, USA
DEATH DATE: 1 Apr 2004

NAME: Joe Gambino
RACE: White
BIRTH DATE: 7 Jul 1932
BIRTH PLACE: Palermo, Italy
DEATH DATE: 1 Apr 2004
FATHER: Angelo Gambino
MOTHER: Francesca Spina
SSN: 096340363
NOTES: Jan 1960: Name listed as JOE GAMBINO; 23 Apr 2004: Name listed as JOSEPH GAMBINO
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Birmingham was one of the most racist places in the world in 1910, and it's unlikely that Sicilian immigrants would have felt welcome there. Jim Crow was in full swing, so I think your point about the political and social atmosphere making things uncomfortable played a big role.
Chris Christie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:56 am

New York births

I sent you the Conte stuff and it turns out I'm mistaken on some things. Which is why it pays to have others go over stuff. I'm usually great with manifests but this one, the way it was positioned, made me misunderstand. So scrap that, Conte appears to have been Palermitan.
It's Avarel-i-o. I copied and pasted directly from Ancestry.com. The only way to verify the spelling would be to compare to the Sicilian vital records.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 pm

Birmingham was one of the most racist places in the world in 1910, and it's unlikely that Sicilian immigrants would have felt welcome there. Jim Crow was in full swing, so I think your point about the political and social atmosphere making things uncomfortable played a big role.

New York births

It's Avarel-i-o. I copied and pasted directly from Ancestry.com. The only way to verify the spelling would be to compare to the Sicilian vital

What was his address in 1920., 1930., and 1940. By crnsus?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 pm

New York births

It's Avarel-i-o. I copied and pasted directly from Ancestry.com. The only way to verify the spelling would be to compare to the Sicilian vital records.
There was an early D'aquila member secretly working with Yale. Mangiapane? Did we find some connection with Armone family or am I disremembering? Armone was originally Armona and I think his family was from Misilmeri (I've gone through alot of names today and I could be wrong).
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Also Rumore surname. Wasnt Joe Morello a brother in law of John Rumore who I believe the SS id'd as being from Corleone. There are Gambino Rumores from Bisacquino, did you find any link between or separate families?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I don't recall any connections between Armone and Mangiapane, but if there are they'd probably be in the SS records. No links that I found between the two groups of Rumores. They may exist if someone wants to trace they're family trees going back hundreds of years. Sometimes that's what it takes to find a connection.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

antonino rumore was with daquilla
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:37 pm Pasquale Conte's father Costenzio arrived in 1910 from Bisacquino and lived in Birmingham with his brother Tony up until at least 1920. Pasquale arrived in 1925 and they show up as a family in Brooklyn in the 1930 census.

So Pasquale Conte, being of Bisacquino and Ribera stock is a.. Bisaberese or a Ribaquinese? His mother Francesca Paola Graziano Conte from Ribera arrived with him in 1925 alongside a Carmela Trancale from Ribera whose mother was from Castelvetrano, on her way to see a gentleman by the name of... Filippo Amari.
Pasquale´s father was Antonino. Died in 1958. There are documents on MaryFerrell saying Antonino arrived in 1937 (I believe it was) but he may have been in US earlier than that (leaving for Sicily and came back in 1937).

About Aurello, this is definitely a match:

Name: Salvatore Aurello
State of Issue: New York
Date of Birth: Sunday March 22, 1914
Date of Death: Sunday February 22, 1998
Est. Age at Death: 83 years, 11 months
Confirmation: Verified
Last known residence:
City: Brooklyn
County: Kings
State: New York
ZIP Code: 11214

So it´s March 22, 1914.
There you have it, never printed before.