General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:03 am
Antiliar wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:08 am Here's a photo of the Mike Costello (right) arrested with Agoglia
Thats right theres also a pic with Ricca and D'Andrea. I dont have much about this guy I dont know if you remember I asked you regarding this guy long time ago) but i bet my money he belonged to the South/Capone faction, either under D'Andrea or the Fischettis.
With so little info available on him, what makes you conclude that?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:57 am
Villain wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:03 am
Antiliar wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:08 am Here's a photo of the Mike Costello (right) arrested with Agoglia
Thats right theres also a pic with Ricca and D'Andrea. I dont have much about this guy I dont know if you remember I asked you regarding this guy long time ago) but i bet my money he belonged to the South/Capone faction, either under D'Andrea or the Fischettis.
With so little info available on him, what makes you conclude that?
Well if he lived around the South Side/ Chinatown, then he was probably connected to D'Andrea who in turn was also pictured with him (maybe as D'Andrea's lieutenant or driver/bodyguard), along with Ricca and Rio who I personally believe were the first boss and underboss after Capone (when Rio died in 1935, Campagna probably took his place as #2 before or after his death)...just guessing here regarding Costello...the Outfit was more territorial during those days, rather than during the 60's and 70s...
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

If that was the early setup, what position do you think Frank Nitto had?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I’ve personally wondered whether Nitto was “street boss”; i.e., “relay man” and/or “enforcer”. Could’ve been that he held some position like that, or it could’ve been that those were functions he was responsible for while holding a formal position of underboss or “consigliere”.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I'm thinking that Nitto was the underboss, and Rio then Campagna were the consiglieri. After Campagna died there was no more traditional consigliere position. Ricca was a CEO and after Accardo stepped down as boss he was the junior CEO. More than just elder statesmen and advisers. "The Man" according to DeRose.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I'm bored. I'll take requests. Any particular subject someone is interested in? I'll see what I have, can find, or request, and then do a write-up.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Snakes wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:44 pm I'm bored. I'll take requests. Any particular subject someone is interested in? I'll see what I have, can find, or request, and then do a write-up.
What do you have on Leo Rugendorf?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:59 am If that was the early setup, what position do you think Frank Nitto had?
If Campagna and Nitto both sponsored Giancana, then one mustve been above the other. If Campagna was #2, then i believe Nitto was a powerful capo and member of the Outfits BOD who represented the West Side, same as D'Andrea who in turn was rep for the South Side "Mafia".

We must not forget that Nitto had lots of problems from 1931 until 1935, meaning he was in jail and later almost got killed. I also believe that this was the time when Campagna rose up through the ranks. Thats why it is possible that when Rio died in 35, Campagna took Rios place instead of Nitto, who in turn probably remained as capo.

If we believe that Campagna was a capo, not the #2 guy, then it would be obvious that Nitto held that #2 spot.
Last edited by Villain on Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:30 pm
Antiliar wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:59 am If that was the early setup, what position do you think Frank Nitto had?
If Campagna and Nitto both sponsored Giancana, then one mustve been above the other. If Campagna was #2, then i believe Nitto was a powerful capo and member of the Outfits BOD who represented the West Side, same as D'Andrea who in turn was rep for the South Side "Mafia".

We must not forget that Nitto had lots of problems from 1931 until 1935, meaning he was in jail and later almost got killed. I also believe that this was the time when Campagna rose up through the ranks.
It’s amazing how little certainty we still have about the Outfit’s admin in this period. Does anyone think D’Andrea ever had one of the top spots?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:34 pm

We must not forget that Nitto had lots of problems from 1931 until 1935, meaning he was in jail and later almost got killed. I also believe that this was the time when Campagna rose up through the ranks.
It’s amazing how little certainty we still have about the Outfit’s admin in this period. Does anyone think D’Andrea ever had one of the top spots?
Back in the days I used to believe that D'Andrea was the #2 guy but Bioffs stories changed my mind.

Also when D'Andrea died, im not sure how many guys showed up at his funeral, but when Campagna died the whole Outfit was there, same as with Ferraros funeral.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:44 pm I'm bored. I'll take requests. Any particular subject someone is interested in? I'll see what I have, can find, or request, and then do a write-up.
I’m personally always keen to understand the Daddono crew better. I still feel like I have a vaguer grasp over this crew and its trajectory than the others. Some of this has been covered in various other topics, but I’d love to see a deep-dive into it. At one point Daddono was a major player and identified by some as a potential candidate for one of the top spots. Then later his crew basically dwindled to a shadow. It’s pretty clear, for example, that Battaglia took over the old DeGrazia crew. Was the Daddono crew a de novo creation or did he take over a pre-existing crew? Did Amato take over the entirety of the Daddono crew or was it actually split between Nicoletti and Amato? In later years Daddono’s kid became basically an associate of EP; how exactly did that happen, as opposed to him affiliating more with the MP guys?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:37 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:34 pm

Back in the days I used to believe that D'Andrea was the #2 guy but Bioffs stories changed my mind.

Also when D'Andrea died, im not sure how many guys showed up at his funeral, but when Campagna died the whole Outfit was there, same as with Ferraros funeral.
The Bioff thing is probably a better indicator that he didn’t have one of the top spots, I think. He did have the presidency of the successor to the old Unione, of course, which was a big deal. This coupled with his strong mafia lineage suggest (along with other evidence) to me that he was probably a major player and at least an important voice on the council/BOD.

Another guy who fascinates me is Bacino. The guy MAY have been a boss of a family before, but then he seems to have been content being a simple member with no higher position in Chicago. Who did Bacino answer to as capodecina? I wonder how much respect and weight he was accorded within the family, given his career.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:48 pm
Another guy who fascinates me is Bacino. The guy MAY have been a boss of a family before, but then he seems to have been content being a simple member with no higher position in Chicago. Who did Bacino answer to as capodecina? I wonder how much respect and weight he was accorded within the family, given his career.
Thats a tough one. We can see some of his close associates like Soldano being closely connected to LaPorte and Roberto since the early 30s which gives me the idea that he answered to Roberto/Emery and during that time he was probably on the same level as John Roberto and LaPorte but by the 1940s i think he went below them.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:42 pm
I’m personally always keen to understand the Daddono crew better. I still feel like I have a vaguer grasp over this crew and its trajectory than the others. Some of this has been covered in various other topics, but I’d love to see a deep-dive into it. At one point Daddono was a major player and identified by some as a potential candidate for one of the top spots. Then later his crew basically dwindled to a shadow. It’s pretty clear, for example, that Battaglia took over the old DeGrazia crew. Was the Daddono crew a de novo creation or did he take over a pre-existing crew? Did Amato take over the entirety of the Daddono crew or was it actually split between Nicoletti and Amato? In later years Daddono’s kid became basically an associate of EP; how exactly did that happen, as opposed to him affiliating more with the MP guys?
I believe that during the 1940s and early 50s,the Campagna/Giancana group divided on three crews. One was headed by Caifano, the other which belonged to Mangano was taken over by Daddono and the DeGrazia crew was taken over by Battaglia.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:56 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:48 pm
Thats a tough one. We can see some of his close associates like Soldano being closely connected to LaPorte and Roberto since the early 30s which gives me the idea that he answered to Roberto/Emery and during that time he was probably on the same level as John Roberto and LaPorte but by the 1940s i think he went below them.
Yeah, he lived in Calumet City, so I figured the LaPorte regime but didn’t know if maybe he was with D’Andrea, Fusco, Pinelli maybe.

For all we know, maybe Bacino was the capodecina that Joe Costello was referring to in that sit down with Mooney! He lived until the 70s.