Revisiting the Magaddino transcript - names

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Re: Revisiting the Magaddino transcript - names

Post by HairyKnuckles »

antimafia wrote:
B. wrote:Thanks, AM.

The info about Domenico Arcuri marrying an Alfano niece is from the Sixth Family, but I don't know any more than that. It seems there may be a couple Alfano/Arcuri connections or maybe the info got confused somewhere.
You're welcome.

I think my information about Domenico Arcuri' Sr.'s wife being NIck Alfano's sister is correct but I'm not 100% certain. My information about Filomena Alfano's being married to Antonio Arcuri appears to be correct--information from Quebec's business registry indicate these two as residing at the same address. Unfortunately, I don't yet know the names of any children Filomena and Antonio Arcuri may have had.

Assuming Nick Alfano and his wife had one or more sons, do we know first names? If a son was named Antonio, Antonino, Anthony, etc., then there's more evidence, but not yet conclusive, that Nick and Carmela Alfano are siblings--Domenico Aruri Sr. and Carmela would have named their second son, i.e., Antonino Arcuri, after Carmela's father (who would also be Nick and Filomena's father).
I´m not entiry sure, but I think this is Nick Alfano´s obitaury. His wife´s name was Angelena (as stated in the obituary). Does it ring any bell? It fits with Alfano´s age and date of death and home location (Bergen county, NJ):

"NICHOLAS ALFANO, 98, of Ho-Ho-Kus died Tuesday. He was born in Italy. Before retiring, he was superintendent of a shoe manufacturing company in New York City, where he worked for 75 years. Surviving are two sons, Charles of Westport, Conn., and Anthony of Marlboro; two daughters, Sally Valenti of West Palm Beach, Fla., and Dr. Tina Alfano of Ho-Ho-Kus; a brother, Salvatore of Queens; 11 grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren. His wife, Angelena Farranto Alfano, is deceased. Services will be Saturday at 10 a.m. at A. K. Macagna Funeral Home, Cliffside Park, with entombment at Madonna Mausoleum, Fort Lee. Visiting is today from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.
Record, The (Hackensack, NJ) - Friday, April 17, 1992"

Hope it helps!

EDIT - Yep, that´s definitely him.
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

He was around forever. Has anyone seen much about him from before the 1960s? I think Bill Bonanno said Alfano had been a longtime captain but I wouldn't take it to the bank necessarily.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

That's more solid info than I've ever seen, thanks.

If I'm understanding you right, you're saying that Alfano was close to the elder Vito Rizzuto who was killed in 1933? Amazing if the Rizzuto connection to the Bonannos goes that far back in NYC.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JD wrote:
B. wrote:That's more solid info than I've ever seen, thanks.

If I'm understanding you right, you're saying that Alfano was close to the elder Vito Rizzuto who was killed in 1933? Amazing if the Rizzuto connection to the Bonannos goes that far back in NYC.
Yeah I meant the senior Vito. The Arcuris, Rizzutos and other families that weren't named (presumably Renda was one of them) were all friends with Alfano and/or his guys in the early days. There's only bits and pieces on any possible connection unfortunately. No doubt there's a lot more to it than we have available.
Great info.

Anyone know when Calogero Renda left NYC for Montreal? I seem to remember reading that he spent time back in Sicily in between but not sure.

Definitely a lot more than we'll ever know but this opens up some possibilities, wow.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

HairyKnuckles, JD, B.:

Great information and questions.

If Domenico Arcuri Sr.'s wife Carmela is Nick Alfano's sister, then Antonino Arcuri would likely have been named after Carmela's maternal grandfather, i.e., Angelina Farranto's father, whose name I am assuming we don't know yet.

It's possible that Nick's son Charles (born Calogero?) was named after paternal grandfather Calogero. Hard to say, without more information, whether Nick's son Anthony was named after Angelina Farranto's father.

According to Calogero Renda's immigration records that co-authors Peter Edwards and Antonio Nicaso used in Business or Blood, published earlier this year, Renda left the US in 1936 and returned to Cattolica Eraclea. I'm not entirely sure whether Renda immigrated to Canada in October 1958, the month and year that The Sixth Family states that Paolo Renda arrived in Canada--Paolo would have been 18 or 19.

I think the elder Renda may have been discouraged from trying to enter the US again after 1936, if not outright unable to do so, because of the visa fraud scandal he and Vito Rizzuto Sr. got involved in.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks, AM. I am glad to see you posting here, always enjoyed your insight into Montreal.

It sounds like Calogero Renda may have already been a Bonanno associate when he left the US then. It's a stretch to even wonder if Vito Rizzuto and Calogero Renda were made members by that time, but you have to figure it's more than a coincidence that they would be associated with Bonanno members in NYC, then decades later Renda and Vito's son would end up as members of the same family's Montreal crew.

Do you have any idea who "the old man" might have been that participated in the three captains murder in NY? Never seen any identifying information about him, only that an old fellow came down with the Montreal crew as part of the hit team. Have to wonder if it could have been Renda.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

B. wrote:Thanks, AM. I am glad to see you posting here, always enjoyed your insight into Montreal.

It sounds like Calogero Renda may have already been a Bonanno associate when he left the US then. It's a stretch to even wonder if Vito Rizzuto and Calogero Renda were made members by that time, but you have to figure it's more than a coincidence that they would be associated with Bonanno members in NYC, then decades later Renda and Vito's son would end up as members of the same family's Montreal crew.

Do you have any idea who "the old man" might have been that participated in the three captains murder in NY? Never seen any identifying information about him, only that an old fellow came down with the Montreal crew as part of the hit team. Have to wonder if it could have been Renda.
Thanks for the kind words, B.

I recall that one of the books published in the last 10 years about the Rizzuto organization mentioned the existence of a secret society in Cattolica Eraclea, consisting of about 100 men, dating back to the 1800s. I have no problem with the reasoning that Nick Rizzuto Sr. and son Vito were made Bonannos, nor do I have trouble accepting Tomasso Buscetta's details of his conversation with Nick Sr. about the status of the Sicilians in Montreal--other than the Caruana-Cuntreras--who Buscetta concluded belonged to the Bonannos. Yet I don't know which mafiosi in Canada who descended from Cattolica Eraclea may have been made in their Sicilian hometown by capocosca Nino Manno, whose sister Domenica married Calogero Renda. I honestly don't know. I can't remember if and whether Laurentian on the RealDeal ever referenced a wiretap in which Vito Rizzuto, I think, was heard saying that all the made members in Montreal all hailed from the same town--maybe Lupara can clarify?

Calogero Renda's immigration record appears in Business or Blood. The record lists his DOB as January 21, 1902. He certainly fits the description of "the old man," maybe even exceeds it, as he would have been 79 at the time of the three captains murder.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Good info on Alfano pre 1960!

I suspected Buttafuoco being under Alfano but wasn´t sure. He accompanied Alfano to Montreal later in the 1970s when Alfano relayed messages and structure of the Bonanno Family to Violi. I think Buttafuoco was described as an elder member. He´s interesting just for the fact that he is not that well known. Spelling variations of his last name and unknown DOB makes him hard to trace when doing research.

Pogo if you´re ever doing a succession line for Alfano crew, make sure to put Tony Cristi as acting for him around 1964. Cristi represented Alfano during a brief time when he was hospitalized.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

JD wrote:Buttafuoco was born 1899 in Cattolica Eraclea, lived in NJ and working in Yonkers, NY by the 1960s. Died in 1984 and might have stayed unknown if it weren't for involvement with the problems in Montreal.
Thanks for the info JD!

Tony Cristi lived in Yonkers, at least from the 1960s and on. if memory serves, the house Cristi lived in was owned/was previously owned by Alfano.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I saw Alfano mentioned as a resident of Bronxville at one point. He lived in a few different places, but does seem that his crew had a significant presence in Westchester County. The Bonannos never had a huge presence in the Bronx, let alone north of there, so this is all new to me.

Interesting about Buttafuoco being from Cattolica Eraclea. So Alfano and his crew had quite a few connections to the Montreal guys. Also interesting that in the Bronx, you also had Emanuel Guaragna who was from a Cattolica Eraclea background. George Sciascia from CE also had a presence in the Bronx. All a coincidence? Hard to say without knowing more.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ed wrote:HK,

Good points. I probably should have said that Gambino went into Apalachin as provisional boss. And I agree my scenario doesn’t make sense if the hit went down.

But if Robilotto was the leader of Anastasia loyalists and Rava was something like an underboss, why did Rava join Gambino at Apalachin and not Robilotto? I always thought Rava attended as leader of the pro-Anastasia faction. Maybe I have that wrong.

As you know, Robilotto had trouble getting inducted into LCN. I thought he might have found it difficult to lead the Anastasia loyalists and vie to be boss, ahead of Rava and Dellacroce.

Thanks for the feedback!
Saw something about Rava/Robilotto from an informant I found interesting.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 3&tab=page

Says that it is his "opinion" that Robilotto was killed by Rava and Dellacroce for leaning toward supporting Gambino as boss, who they were still opposed to. I'm not sure the timeline myself, but didn't HK say that Rava disappeared before Robilotto was killed? If that's the case, the informant is either wrong, mixed up, or Rava was in hiding for a while before he was actually killed.

The informant also says that the death of Robilotto is still a discussion in other families (this doc is from 1968). As we have seen, Magaddino and Zerilli were both still discussing Roberts in the early-mid 1960s so that much seems to be true.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

rava killed roberts on the sneak from what i heard
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Heard from who? Who is telling you about 60 year old mob hits?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
AG777
Full Patched

Post by AG777 »

Sometimes, Pogo, you just have to take the info from a valuable respected member as it comes and not question the source. This is difficult for you and Ivy I noticed. But Bronx has a very good reputation on here and never feeds us bullshit.

Guys in the neighborhood talk. I'm sure Bronx knew that info for years and years.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Let's just stop going down this rabbit hole right here.

I share Pogo's skepticism for many reasons, but don't want one small comment to derail this topic. Hopefully certain people don't turn around and say "Rava killed Roberts on the sneak" like it's a fact now, though.