First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Post by Nick Prango »

SolarSolano wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:39 am
Nick Prango wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:08 am
Cheech wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:52 am
Dave65827 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:13 pm I don’t really have a problem with the “woke” stuff in the movie it’s just that it was done so poorly. Like why did Frank Lucas appear in the movie ? To egg on Harold on shit he was already doing ?

Not to spoil for anyone here but Dickies death was way worse off than what happened in my mind like it pissed me off

Michael Gandolfinis performance was great but he’s barely in the movie
Agreed. And Harold fuckin Giuseppina. It just happened? When did they meet?
Movie was weird. Surprised chase made it. I wanted to like it more than i did. Need to watch again. The whole thing plays like a dream sequence.
Goodfellas you felt like you were there as it was happening. In this it didnt feel real at all.
Agreed. Giuseppa and Harold made me sick to my stomach. That whole entire subplot with the woke bullshit should’ve never even been there. The relationship between Harold and Giuseppina makes no sense.
You must have missed the entire series. Meadow's boyfriend? The Hud episodes literally starring Harold? I mean the poor girl gets beat up by Dickie and his father, then murdered. How the fuck was that woke :lol:
Meadow and her boyfriend Noah situation was totally different. No one at the time referred to these episodes as being "woke." Why? Because it made sense. We could envision a girl from the New Jersey suburbs moving to liberal Columbia College in NYC, and eventually developing a relationship with a black class-mate. The relationship between the two of them develops through a shared interest in movies, and they get to know each other as part of a class project. It's realistic that her conservative Italian American father would object to the relationship, and it would cause friction in the family. We see that Meadow has a different mindset than her father. Partly because she grew up in the 1990's/ 2000's, and because she develops a more liberal mindset through her interaction with people of different backgrounds in school, and internships.

In MSON, the relationship between Harald and Giuseppina makes no sense. First, Giuseppina grew up in Italy during the 1950's. She comes from a society and time period that is EXTREMELY racist and conservative. Inter-racial relationships were taboo in the 1960's, and probably even more taboo for someone that moved to the United States from Italy. She is dating a capo in the Italian Mafia, yet is casually sleeping with a black heroin dealer, who she met on a single occasion in the show. This is just unrealistic.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

SolarSolano wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:39 am
Nick Prango wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:08 am
Cheech wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:52 am
Dave65827 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:13 pm I don’t really have a problem with the “woke” stuff in the movie it’s just that it was done so poorly. Like why did Frank Lucas appear in the movie ? To egg on Harold on shit he was already doing ?

Not to spoil for anyone here but Dickies death was way worse off than what happened in my mind like it pissed me off

Michael Gandolfinis performance was great but he’s barely in the movie
Agreed. And Harold fuckin Giuseppina. It just happened? When did they meet?
Movie was weird. Surprised chase made it. I wanted to like it more than i did. Need to watch again. The whole thing plays like a dream sequence.
Goodfellas you felt like you were there as it was happening. In this it didnt feel real at all.
Agreed. Giuseppa and Harold made me sick to my stomach. That whole entire subplot with the woke bullshit should’ve never even been there. The relationship between Harold and Giuseppina makes no sense.
You must have missed the entire series. Meadow's boyfriend? The Hud episodes literally starring Harold? I mean the poor girl gets beat up by Dickie and his father, then murdered. How the fuck was that woke :lol:
Aren’t you the guy who has said to be conservative, then said he was liberal? You don’t even know what your political beliefs are so I’m not going to argue on why I think it was woke with you.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

TwoPiece wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:32 pm
Cheech wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:16 am
TwoPiece wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:29 am
Cheech wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:55 am anyone catch the reference to Ercole? they even mentioned tony blundetto.

a few questions

who was in the ice cream truck with him? Jackie and who?
and whos the kid with him and carmela when they are calling dickie from the phone booth for beer?
it's artie in the truck, don't know who the other kid was at the payphone

it's funny that artie seemed to do the most dirt back then, guess he really was a bad influence like coach horseface said in tony's dream
oh does he say artie or something? i have to rewatch it.
nah i was watching with subs on and the caption said it was him.

i'm gonna rewatch later and see if it was jackie who tony fought with at the payphone.. seems strange they would scrap but guys fight and stay friends all the time, it's not that crazy.
ya I get it but it just seemed so unimportant to the move.
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

I didn’t get how Giuseppina & Harold met?? They just had sex out of the blue & Harold promised her things that she wanted but she didn’t want it from him, but from an Italian man?
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Shellackhead wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:04 pm I didn’t get how Giuseppina & Harold met?? They just had sex out of the blue & Harold promised her things that she wanted but she didn’t want it from him, but from an Italian man?
Dumbest shit ever
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:22 pm Ah ok. So the move is told in two seperate time lines.

Pogo

Yes two time lines

But I remember the scene as the KID tony (around age 8) who snuck and saw his dad get busted
That part was NOT played by the older gandolfini…. So that does go with the timeline

Now… if WILLIE OVERALLS was black… which I didn’t think he was bc he was a bookie in the tv show…. But If willie was black ALOT more makes sense

I don’t like who really hit dickie at all
And nothing on Any if the aprile family ???
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:04 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:22 pm Ah ok. So the move is told in two seperate time lines.

Pogo

Yes two time lines

But I remember the scene as the KID tony (around age 8) who snuck and saw his dad get busted
That part was NOT played by the older gandolfini…. So that does go with the timeline

Now… if WILLIE OVERALLS was black… which I didn’t think he was bc he was a bookie in the tv show…. But If willie was black ALOT more makes sense

I don’t like who really hit dickie at all
And nothing on Any if the aprile family ???
He was definitely black in the show. They showed him being buried.
Last edited by MichaelGiovanni on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:04 pm
He was black on the show.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

I havnt watched it yet buy my friend said its some black lives matter type shit. Even jermaine wiggins former patriots superbowl winner from east boston says its the worst. I think im gonna skip it and i got hbo max. Im looking forwood to this new 007 this weekend
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I agree with the sentiments here that it would have been better as a series. Also, Michael Gandolfini nailed it, he has a future in film if he so chooses.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:40 pm I agree with the sentiments here that it would have been better as a series. Also, Michael Gandolfini nailed it, he has a future in film if he so chooses.
Agreed. Michael Gandolfini was spot on Tony during the session with the school counselor.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

newera_212 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:13 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:14 pm Looks like the movie was a huge box office bomb (so far only making 5 million on a 50 million budget). Serves them right. :lol: This pretty much kills off any sexual unless it is a low budget direct to video release.

Pogo
That's $5MM in tickets at the theater the first week? It's streaming on HBO Max as well. I would imagine a lot of people are going to check it out on there versus go out to a theater. I think opening week ticket sales at the theaters now is going to be a metric akin to first week album sales for music - it's going to have to be revised and updated to include all of these streaming bundle deals that get worked out. Seems kind of antiquated when people can, and will, watch the movie at home instead of going out and spending $ at the theater.

I forget who but a big actress who did one of these marvel movies was bitching about this recently. She had some sort of contract incentive that was tied to ticket sales but Disney put the movie on Disney Plus the same day as it was slated to open at theaters.

I checked and it is 5 million in domestic ticket sales for the first week with the expectation that it would do 7-12 million. They said it is streaming for free on HBO Go so I doubt they made much there. How many people who don't already have HBO Go will buy a subscription becuase this movie is on there? Not enough to make up for the huge losses. Most movies see a near 50% drop in ticket sales their second week and it will no doubt do even worse overseas where the show was a lot less popular and available.

Considering movies have to bring in about twice its budget (accounting for the costs of marketing the film and the theaters getting their cut) this movie is huge financial flop for the studio.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

My wife. Who actually never saw the show, loved the movie…

I was hoping for a sequel and still think it’s POSSIBLE

And now that willie was black… much more makes sense.

I try and watch every mob movie and just tried to look at this as not part of the series ….
I wish it did better… I love when mob movies are the big movies of the time (gotti and Irishman) whether they do is or not there’s more interest in the mob that comes from it
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

Willie Overall was black, google his name & it’ll show an old black guy inside a pit beaten to a pulp
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

newera_212 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:13 pmIforget who but a big actress who did one of these marvel movies was bitching about this recently. She had some sort of contract incentive that was tied to ticket sales but Disney put the movie on Disney Plus the same day as it was slated to open at theaters.
Scarlett Johansson.
Chris Christie wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:40 pm I agree with the sentiments here that it would have been better as a series. Also, Michael Gandolfini nailed it, he has a future in film if he so chooses.
From what I read, at first he was dead set against doing the role
Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:31 pmI checked and it is 5 million in domestic ticket sales for the first week with the expectation that it would do 7-12 million. They said it is streaming for free on HBO Go so I doubt they made much there. How many people who don't already have HBO Go will buy a subscription becuase this movie is on there? Not enough to make up for the huge losses. Most movies see a near 50% drop in ticket sales their second week and it will no doubt do even worse overseas where the show was a lot less popular and available.

Considering movies have to bring in about twice its budget (accounting for the costs of marketing the film and the theaters getting their cut) this movie is huge financial flop for the studio.

Pogo
Up to $7 million now. Even with whatever else comes in, seems they'll only make a fraction. As popular as The Sopranos was and is, I'm not sure the movie theater is the right medium. Vince Gilligan knew well enough to just release El Camino on Netflix. In hindsight, maybe Chase should have just done a miniseries on HBO. Later releasing it on Netflix or whatever.
All roads lead to New York.