Revisiting the Magaddino transcript - names

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Revisiting the Magaddino transcript - names

Post by B. »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
B. wrote:
toto wrote:Another suggestion for Bill Loffa could be Natale Evola.
Oh yeah, I could def see "Bill Loffa" being a mistranslation of "Evola".

Does anyone know the exact years that Evola was in prison during the 1960s? I believe he was away during the early part of the Bonanno war at least but I'm not sure when he got out. Never heard of him being involved at all.
Evola was given a mandatory release on March 21st 1966. Since the recording was made in Jan 1965, Evola can not have been "Loffa".
Thanks, man.
toto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by toto »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
B. wrote:
toto wrote:Another suggestion for Bill Loffa could be Natale Evola.
Oh yeah, I could def see "Bill Loffa" being a mistranslation of "Evola".

Does anyone know the exact years that Evola was in prison during the 1960s? I believe he was away during the early part of the Bonanno war at least but I'm not sure when he got out. Never heard of him being involved at all.
Evola was given a mandatory release on March 21st 1966. Since the recording was made in Jan 1965, Evola can not have been "Loffa".
I don't agree with ruling him out completely. I found in the past they managed to get temporary releases for all sorts of things. The regulations were not so strict. Perhaps, it makes it less likely but it's more than possible he was in a half way house or similar arrangement or even he had a temporary compassionate release or similar such mechanism they were abusing at that time.

His name so far is the only one which might come close to being confused for Bill Loffa. I disagree with the other suggestions.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Revisiting this to see if anyone has any more thoughts.

Also, not sure why it didn't dawn on me before, but this one is definitely Angelo Bruno, who was one of the men sent by the Commission to approach the Bonannos but rebuffed:
"Angelo Puro"
Someone who was sent as an ambassador by the Commission to see Bill Bonanno, but Bill apparently behaved disrespectfully.
toto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by toto »

Natale Evola had some brothers. Were they mafiosi? Could they have been Bill Loffa? I know HK showed why its unlikely to Natale but "Bill Loffa" but I still think he's the most likely person.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

toto wrote:Natale Evola had some brothers. Were they mafiosi? Could they have been Bill Loffa? I know HK showed why its unlikely to Natale but "Bill Loffa" but I still think he's the most likely person.
Don't know anything about his brothers. If they were involved, it seems like a stretch that they would be "Loffa".

I'm still going with Alfano as he was an old time member who would be part of a ruling panel, part of the administration, traveled on behalf of the family, and what little we know about "Loffa" is consistent with Alfano. The phonetic translations are pretty crazy on this transcript, hence my starting the original topic, so hard to really say.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever know who "Bill Loffa" is unless there are surveillance reports out there talking about Paul Sciacca and someone else visiting Magaddino, or reports about Sciacca and someone else traveling north around that time.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

toto wrote:Natale Evola had some brothers. Were they mafiosi? Could they have been Bill Loffa? I know HK showed why its unlikely to Natale but "Bill Loffa" but I still think he's the most likely person.
I thought about that a while ago. But his brother´s names were Paul and Joseph. Phonetically, the names doesn´t sound like "Bill". However, his father´s name was Filippo. It´s possible that Filippo was called Phil and that´s a name that would fit. But I have never seen anything on Filippo beoing involved with organized crime. On the other hand, there were a lot of guys back then who were involved, but flew under the feds radar. Especially with the Bonannos. Filippo died in 1969.

I still think though that this "Bill Loffa" was a member of a different Family based outside NY City, but who had for some reason members also operating in the NY area.
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

It's def open to interpretation.

The only connection I've found between Alfano and Buffalo is a doc that references a phone call made from Hamilton-based Magaddino member Calogero "Charles" Bonadero to Nick Alfano in 1963. No idea what the details were. Alfano was from Racalmuto and Bonadero was from nearby Montedoro, so they may have had longstanding ties because of that.

1972 is when Alfano traveled to Montreal with Mickey Zaffarano to meet with the Canadian Bonanno crew. Domenico Arcuri would later marry Alfano's niece in 1980 in NY. So Alfano had at least a few ties to Canada.
toto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by toto »

My view about Evola is based on looking at the way Magaddino says some words. So Natale Evola can Sound like NTal Vola with the emphasis on the l of hte first name and the V of the of the second name. V and F can be mixed up. Also the sound falls away on the end of the second name - its a common style such that the end of the word is sometimes nearly chopped off or really chopped off. However, HK's information he was in jail makes it less likely. I only don't rule it out completely because of things like the statement of Buscetta that Carmine Galante came to see him in 1965 about intervening for Bonanno with the commission. Galante must be in jail at that time so it must mean he got out for some days for some reason.

If Evola had a brother then Paul is even closer to Bill and then its just a case of Evola and Loffa and the sounds can be mixed up. The same for the father, who could be Pippo or Lippo or Filippello transformed to Pello and you have Pello Evola.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Loffa could also be a nickname or part of a surname, like Loffarello or something. I've been trying to figure out that name since 2002 when I first went to the National Archive with no luck. I agree with HK that it's someone from a Family outside New York state. I tried to narrow it down to the crime families that Buffalo was friendly with such as Detroit or Los Angeles. I'm sure that the agents who listened to these conversations over ancient microphones racked their brains out too and did the best the could. Even with today's microphones, somethings just come across as a mumble, so I think it's possible that Loffa could have been "Lopa" or "Lova."
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If he was from a family outside of NY, you would also have to look at someone who was very close to the Bonannos going back to the 1930s and was intimately familiar with both their history and current members. I am sure there are a number of people who would fit that bill (no pun intended), just hard to narrow it down. I'll probably re-read the transcript again to see what I pick up.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

B. wrote:It's def open to interpretation.

The only connection I've found between Alfano and Buffalo is a doc that references a phone call made from Hamilton-based Magaddino member Calogero "Charles" Bonadero to Nick Alfano in 1963. No idea what the details were. Alfano was from Racalmuto and Bonadero was from nearby Montedoro, so they may have had longstanding ties because of that.

1972 is when Alfano traveled to Montreal with Mickey Zaffarano to meet with the Canadian Bonanno crew. Domenico Arcuri would later marry Alfano's niece in 1980 in NY. So Alfano had at least a few ties to Canada.
If you're checking the Mary Ferrell site for the Calogero who spoke with Nick Alfano, search for Bordinaro, Bondanaro, Camore Bordonaro, and Bontanaro. Calogero's actual surname is Bordonaro. Calogero's son Ignazio, a lawyer, was known as Harold. As you may have already figured out from the document to which you linked in your original post, Harold was mistakenly referred to as "Harry Montanaro" by Stefano Magaddino.

I didn't know Nick Alfano had ancestry from Racalmuto--a sizable number of Sicilian-Canadians in Hamilton, Ontario, have ancestry from Racalmuto.

Domenico Arcuri Sr. of Montreal, who died on October 9, 2012, was married to Carmela Alfano, whom I believe is the sister of Nick Alfano. Who is the Domenico Arcuri who married Alfano's niece in 1980? Domenico Sr. was born in 1933.

I've learned that Carmela Alfano's sister Filomena married an Antonio Arcuri, but I don't know how Domenico Sr. and Antonio are related. (Incidentally, Domenico Sr.'s parents were Filippa Arcuri and Domenico Arcuri--the parents may have been first cousins. Filippa Arcuri's parents were Giovanna Guaragna and Giacinto Arcuri.)
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks, AM.

The info about Domenico Arcuri marrying an Alfano niece is from the Sixth Family, but I don't know any more than that. It seems there may be a couple Alfano/Arcuri connections or maybe the info got confused somewhere.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Wasn't there also a Domenico Arcuri in the Gambino family?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Lupara wrote:Wasn't there also a Domenico Arcuri in the Gambino family?

Yes. A Capo under Carlo Gambino. He was Joe Arcuri's uncle. Joe was also a Capo under Gambino all the way into Peter Gotti's reign.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

B. wrote:Thanks, AM.

The info about Domenico Arcuri marrying an Alfano niece is from the Sixth Family, but I don't know any more than that. It seems there may be a couple Alfano/Arcuri connections or maybe the info got confused somewhere.
You're welcome.

I think my information about Domenico Arcuri' Sr.'s wife being NIck Alfano's sister is correct but I'm not 100% certain. My information about Filomena Alfano's being married to Antonio Arcuri appears to be correct--information from Quebec's business registry indicate these two as residing at the same address. Unfortunately, I don't yet know the names of any children Filomena and Antonio Arcuri may have had.

Assuming Nick Alfano and his wife had one or more sons, do we know first names? If a son was named Antonio, Antonino, Anthony, etc., then there's more evidence, but not yet conclusive, that Nick and Carmela Alfano are siblings--Domenico Aruri Sr. and Carmela would have named their second son, i.e., Antonino Arcuri, after Carmela's father (who would also be Nick and Filomena's father).