Persico was a rat?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Re: Persico was a rat?

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

I think most successful mobsters are. It's almost impossible to accumulate a lot of money in crime without taking out some of the competition this way. I think most of them did it.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:28 pm I think most successful mobsters are. It's almost impossible to accumulate a lot of money in crime without taking out some of the competition this way. I think most of them did it.
Persico idk if he was a very successful mobster. He spent more time locked up in jail as much as anybody. Guy was in and out in and out every few years. The feds knew how good he was at his job and were constantly up his ass more than anyone because they knew if he had long periods of time he would become successful
sharpieone
Straightened out

Post by sharpieone »

Interesting Pennisi said he had heard once in the past, and just recently, that a boss of another family was an informant, and is currently sitting as boss now.

Sicilians in Gambino? Seems unlikely.

New members of administration for Luchese? That would seem to be what Pennisi might have an ear to, but who the hell knows. Didn't most of those guys do long bids?

Nose? He's done time, but considering his crimes, he should still be there today.

Andy Russo?

Barney? He's gone to war with the feds over and over. Doubt they would have been a stick in his ass and kept him in county or state or whatever when he was doing federal time in Atlanta. Doesn't add up.

(apologies if other people are at the heads of the families currently; I don't keep up on every turn)

Edited to add that he didnt necessarily say one of the five families. So could be Philly or NE, too.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

anyone can say that some of the mobsters were informants but without proof no one can know what exactly happened? such as Flemmi saying that the Saint and Baby shacks were informants
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

Slander you ask me!
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

thesalesexpert wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:23 pm No need to insult, Larry McShane came on because he broke the story and is the source. If there is anything to dispute it, it will be published as well.
Just a couple corrections to McShane's comments:

- Carmine Persico became boss in the early 1980s, no connection to Gallo's murder or the Colombo shooting in the early 1970s.

- "Top Echelon" doesn't have anything to do with the informant's formal rank in the mafia or organized crime, it refers to their status within the FBI's informant program. Greg Scarpa was the TE informant in this report even though he was a soldier at the time and there have been associates with TE status.

Minor details, but the bigger issue is that this defense lawyer appears to have taken everyone for a ride. I don't blame MBA for covering it, but I know they want to report info accurately and there are some big holes here.

What's funny is if the report was true, it would mean Salvatore Musacchio and John Oddo were also informants yet they're not being mentioned in all of this buzz. Those names are as big as Persico in Colombo family history but obviously this is about headlines.
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

Raven wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:44 am Not be go off topic, but does anyone know when Persico was actually "made"?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=144&p=568&hilit=Al ... cchio#p568

Between 1954 and 1956.
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

How did the Persicos react to the news that Carmine was a rat?
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

sharpieone wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:26 pm Interesting Pennisi said he had heard once in the past, and just recently, that a boss of another family was an informant, and is currently sitting as boss now.

New members of administration for Luchese? That would seem to be what Pennisi might have an ear to, but who the hell knows. Didn't most of those guys do long bids?

Nose? He's done time, but considering his crimes, he should still be there today.

Andy Russo?

Barney? He's gone to war with the feds over and over. Doubt they would have been a stick in his ass and kept him in county or state or whatever when he was doing federal time in Atlanta. Doesn't add up.

(apologies if other people are at the heads of the families currently; I don't keep up on every turn)

Edited to add that he didnt necessarily say one of the five families. So could be Philly or NE, too.
I think he was talking about the Mancuso rumor but I doubt its true
sharpieone
Straightened out

Post by sharpieone »

JohnnyS wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:34 am
sharpieone wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:26 pm Interesting Pennisi said he had heard once in the past, and just recently, that a boss of another family was an informant, and is currently sitting as boss now.

Andy Russo?

I think he was talking about the Mancuso rumor but I doubt its true
Oh, I hadn’t heard that one before.
TSNYC
Straightened out

Re: Carmine Persico top echelon informant papers allege

Post by TSNYC »

Raven wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:52 pm The co-writer Larry McShane wrote that bio of chin which I thought sucked. Like someone said when talking about Dellacroce being an informant sometimes the FBI or writers will make this shit up for whatever reason.
I agree on chin book. Some stuff was very sloppy like in one section quoting Joe Galizia, and identifying him as a gambino associate, and then later in book identifying him as a Genovese soldier. That’s the problem with so many of these beat crime writers, they are used to putting out 3 paragraphs of shit in the News or Post, and do not actually verify information. Like others have said, this report would mean oddo and mussacchio were informants. Seems like orena lawyers making a stretch argument.
mafiastudent
Full Patched

Post by mafiastudent »

TSNYC wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:19 am
Raven wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:52 pm The co-writer Larry McShane wrote that bio of chin which I thought sucked. Like someone said when talking about Dellacroce being an informant sometimes the FBI or writers will make this shit up for whatever reason.
I agree on chin book. Some stuff was very sloppy like in one section quoting Joe Galizia, and identifying him as a gambino associate, and then later in book identifying him as a Genovese soldier. That’s the problem with so many of these beat crime writers, they are used to putting out 3 paragraphs of shit in the News or Post, and do not actually verify information. Like others have said, this report would mean oddo and mussacchio were informants. Seems like orena lawyers making a stretch argument.
Plus the fact that they've had this information for FIVE YEARS (see the 2016 document posted earlier in this thread) in addition to the fact that if you look at the entire document they submitted in support of their motion (also posted earlier in this thread) there are 7 pages of supposed "informants" besides that one-page listing Persico that the Daily News printed.

And one other thing of note is that in the right hand margin on that 7-page document - you will see "Clemente" which refers to Angela Clemente who is the person who broke the Scarpa story and that FBI document is one she obtained during her investigation. I can't imagine that if all these people were "informants" that she wouldn't have had blasted that all over creation. So, obviously, as Snakes pointed out, and which I fully agree, the men listed were being informed on -- not the other way around.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

mafiastudent wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:28 am
TSNYC wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:19 am
Plus the fact that they've had this information for FIVE YEARS (see the 2016 document posted earlier in this thread) in addition to the fact that if you look at the entire document they submitted in support of their motion (also posted earlier in this thread) there are 7 pages of supposed "informants" besides that one-page listing Persico that the Daily News printed.

And one other thing of note is that in the right hand margin on that 7-page document - you will see "Clemente" which refers to Angela Clemente who is the person who broke the Scarpa story and that FBI document is one she obtained during her investigation. I can't imagine that if all these people were "informants" that she wouldn't have had blasted that all over creation. So, obviously, as Snakes pointed out, and which I fully agree, the men listed were being informed on -- not the other way around.
And now Pennisi just posted an article on his sitdownnews blog regarding Persico being a rat and he seems to be backtracking on his initial claims of him being an informant-especially the statement towards the very end of the article.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Tonyd621 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:42 pm Larry McShane is doing a live MBA and buttonman and they are all discussing it as a fact. Of course Pennisi wants it to be true
You guys know that Larry mcshane is also the one that wrote RALPH NATALE book too.... (Which he proudly said in the interview....)

So.... We gotta look at the source.

Same guy that Actually ran with the "Carlo Gambino and Bruno SECRETLY INDUCTED NATALE...."

So that being said .... Might as well get Gianni Russos opinion on this too then!
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

yaeh is bullshit. like people said that guy sally the shiek was a huge mobster isnt the guy bath beach oddo? these 2 were giants in there day probaly murder inc guys. in ray patrarca files he blames sally for backing the gallos to revolt