General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

funkster
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by funkster »

Solano, any info on Stella? I think this bust is the first we've heard his name come up, I wonder if there is any background on him or his connections.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Working on getting transcripts from US v Samuel Carlisi (1992) in which Lenny Patrick testified. Besides Family Secrets and the Hollywood extortion case from the 1940s, are there any other cases that might have testimony worth getting?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Anyone knows something regarding these old-timers...they were allegedly Pinelli's "crew" in Chicago during the late 1940s, while he was in LA, and took care of Pinelli's gambling interests around W Grand, the Near North Side and Wheeling Ill...some of the names sound familiar...

James Markese

Joseph and William Dote

Sam Siano

Anthony Decapo
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Joseph Markese is probably Joseph Marchese
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:11 am Joseph Markese is probably Joseph Marchese
Thanks Anti. Do you have additional info on this guy? Did he transferred in the Indiana crew together with Pinelli or remained on the North Side?

Also is there any connection between the old Dotes and todays Dote?
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:09 am
Antiliar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:11 am Joseph Markese is probably Joseph Marchese
Thanks Anti. Do you have additional info on this guy? Did he transferred in the Indiana crew together with Pinelli or remained on the North Side?

Also is there any connection between the Dotes and todays Dote?
I came across something mentioning William Dote recently while looking into something else. I’ll have to go back and see if I can find it again.

Dote is not a common surname and from what I’ve seen the handful of Dotes in Chicago all came from the comune of Montefalcone di Val Fortore in Benevento, Campania. I believe that the surname was originally D’Oto, actually.

William Dote should be the guy born 1907 in Chicago to Michele Dote (D’oto — from Montefalcone) and Carmella Miresse (various spellings, ancestry unconfirmed); died 1990. William had some gambling busts in the 1940s and seemed to operate in the Loop. He grew up near Taylor and Halsted but by 1940 was living up on Barry (which makes sense if he was affiliated with the Northside Pinelli crew).

I haven’t confirmed a specific link to the current Tony Dote, but I would expect that there is a relation of some kind there.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

No, nothing came up.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:54 am

No, nothing came up.
Long time ago I think you told me once that Pinelli allegedly also had interests around the West Side, near Taylor. Well, if the Kefauver committee was right regarding these guys watching over Pinellis interests, then Sam Siano lived near W Harrison St and W Polk, and was also involved in Local 939 at the time. So this might be it...
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:29 am

Also is there any connection between the Dotes and todays Dote?
I came across something mentioning William Dote recently while looking into something else. I’ll have to go back and see if I can find it again.

Dote is not a common surname and from what I’ve seen the handful of Dotes in Chicago all came from the comune of Montefalcone di Val Fortore in Benevento, Campania. I believe that the surname was originally D’Oto, actually.

William Dote should be the guy born 1907 in Chicago to Michele Dote (D’oto — from Montefalcone) and Carmella Miresse (various spellings, ancestry unconfirmed); died 1990. William had some gambling busts in the 1940s and seemed to operate in the Loop. He grew up near Taylor and Halsted but by 1940 was living up on Barry (which makes sense if he was affiliated with the Northside Pinelli crew).

I haven’t confirmed a specific link to the current Tony Dote, but I would expect that there is a relation of some kind there.
Thanks bro. It would be quite interesting if they were connected since it might be additional info regarding the close connection between the old Northwest guys and the EP crew which later allegedly took over the North Side.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

In addition, I searched for "James Markese" and i found one guy with the same name who died in 1955 and was related to names such as Marino, Nardi and Annoreno. Maybe its just a rare coincidence...

Then I searched for "James Marchese" and it seems there was one 17 years old burglar in 1934 with the same name and with an address 2829 Congress St, and later or in 1949 we have the same guy with the same adress but this time he was labelled as 34 years old while showing up at a police station as the uncle of one young bandit known as Louis Rizzatto who was arrested at the time on robbery charges. I highly doubt that this Marchese was Pinellis guy but who knows?!
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:17 pm In addition, I searched for "James Markese" and i found one guy with the same name who died in 1955 and was related to names such as Marino, Nardi and Annoreno. Maybe its just a rare coincidence...

Then I searched for "James Marchese" and it seems there was one 17 years old burglar in 1934 with the same name and with an address 2829 Congress St, and later or in 1949 we have the same guy with the same adress but this time he was labelled as 34 years old while showing up at a police station as the uncle of one young bandit known as Louis Rizzatto who was arrested at the time on robbery charges. I highly doubt that this Marchese was Pinellis guy but who knows?!
The James "Markese" that you noted above was from the Grand Ave neighborhood, his daughter married a guy with the surname Marino, also from the neighborhood, so I don't know of any connection there to the Louie Marino.

I know the articles referencing the James Marchese who was a thief (lived in East Garfield Park). I also doubt that this guy was an associate of Tony Pinelli, but I don't know anything about this James Marchese to really pursue it. What was the source on "James Markese" being a Pinelli guy? Another thing to consider is that "James" is often used to Anglicize the given name Vincenzo, thus Vincenzo/James/Vincent may all be used by the same guy, further complicating things. Marchese is a pretty common surname, and there were a bunch of guys around Chicago that could be the guy in question. It is most common in Sicily, but is not uncommon in some other regions of Italy as well.

Here's an interesting angle, though. Pinelli's daughter Marianne Elaine married a Bruce Marchese in California in the 50s, this guy was born 1934 and apparently in NYC. There were two Bruce Marcheses that I found in NYC as kids of the right age -- one in BK and one in East Harlem (106 St). The Bruce who grew up on 106 had a father names James Marchese. Further, there was a Bruce Marchese stationed at the Great Lakes Naval Base in the 1950s (north suburban Chicagoland), so perhaps it was the same Bruce that married Marianne Pinelli.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:35 pm
Villain wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:17 pm In addition, I searched for "James Markese" and i found one guy with the same name who died in 1955 and was related to names such as Marino, Nardi and Annoreno. Maybe its just a rare coincidence...

The James "Markese" that you noted above was from the Grand Ave neighborhood, his daughter married a guy with the surname Marino, also from the neighborhood, so I don't know of any connection there to the Louie Marino.

I know the articles referencing the James Marchese who was a thief (lived in East Garfield Park). I also doubt that this guy was an associate of Tony Pinelli, but I don't know anything about this James Marchese to really pursue it. What was the source on "James Markese" being a Pinelli guy? Another thing to consider is that "James" is often used to Anglicize the given name Vincenzo, thus Vincenzo/James/Vincent may all be used by the same guy, further complicating things. Marchese is a pretty common surname, and there were a bunch of guys around Chicago that could be the guy in question. It is most common in Sicily, but is not uncommon in some other regions of Italy as well.

Here's an interesting angle, though. Pinelli's daughter Marianne Elaine married a Bruce Marchese in California in the 50s, this guy was born 1934 and apparently in NYC. There were two Bruce Marcheses that I found in NYC as kids of the right age -- one in BK and one in East Harlem (106 St). The Bruce who grew up on 106 had a father names James Marchese. Further, there was a Bruce Marchese stationed at the Great Lakes Naval Base in the 1950s (north suburban Chicagoland), so perhaps it was the same Bruce that married Marianne Pinelli.
Thanks for the great research bro.

Besides the daughter being married to a Marino, two of the Grand Av "Markese" sisters were married to a Nardi which reminds me of Chicago Heights' (C City) Nardis, and a third sister was married to a Annoreno which again reminds me of the Annorenos/Generos from the South Side (the old 20th ward which i think also included Chinatown at the time) and C City....both the Annorenos/Generos (Joe and John) and Nardis (Dominick Nardi) operated in C City...as I previously said, it might be a rare coincidence which resembles a connection between the old Northwest and Chi Heights "families"...

Thats an interesting connection which involves Pinellis daughter and I dont want to jump to conclusions but that might be it...in addition, Marchese, Siano, the Dotes and Decapo were listed as Pinellus guys in Chicago by the Kefauver committee in 1950/51 while Pinelli was still in LA. Thats why the moment Pinelli placed his foot in Indiana, he immediately or in 1953 started having problems with the government and later he had to give the throne to his close associate Tommy Morgano who in turn got deported by the early 60s and the following years Pinelli transferred his membership to the LA family.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:53 am

Besides the daughter being married to a Marino, two of the Grand Av "Markese" sisters were married to a Nardi which reminds me of Chicago Heights' (C City) Nardis, and a third sister was married to a Annoreno which again reminds me of the Annorenos/Generos from the South Side (the old 20th ward which i think also included Chinatown at the time) and C City....both the Annorenos/Generos (Joe and John) and Nardis (Dominick Nardi) operated in C City...as I previously said, it might be a rare coincidence which resembles a connection between the old Northwest and Chi Heights "families"...

Thats an interesting connection which involves Pinellis daughter and I dont want to jump to conclusions but that might be it...in addition, Marchese, Siano, the Dotes and Decapo were listed as Pinellus guys in Chicago by the Kefauver committee in 1950/51 while Pinelli was still in LA. Thats why the moment Pinelli placed his foot in Indiana, he immediately or in 1953 started having problems with the government and later he had to give the throne to his close associate Tommy Morgano who in turn got deported by the early 60s and the following years Pinelli transferred his membership to the LA family.
If James Markese was identified as a Pinelli guy in Chicago, then I very much doubt that the guy from East Harlem was him. Perhaps the Bruce Marchese who Pinelli’s daughter married was related somehow to the guy from Chicago, or it was a coincidence.

The James Markese from the Grand Ave neighborhood may be a better bet. This was James Dominic Markese, born in Chicago to Calabrese parents. His father, Nicola Marchese, was from San Nicola da Crissa, Vibo Valentia, though one document also had him as born in Simbario. Simbario may be an indicator here, as that was where the Roti, Spina, Bertucci, Andriacchi families were from. James’s daughter Carmella married a Vito Nardi, who was also from Simbario. The Nardi that I know of from the Heights crew was Dominick Nardi, and it seems pretty likely that he was born to parents from Simbario as well.

James Dominic Markese’s sister Elizabeth married a Joseph Phillip Annoreno, whose family, of course, was from Termini Imerese. Beyond that, I don’t see a direct connection to the more famous Generos/Annerinos, though there may be a relation at some level. This Joseph Annoreno had a sister that seemed to have gone by the Cerone surname also, but I was unable to confirm if she was married to a Cerone. These Annorenos were from the Grand Ave neighborhood as well, so a Cerone link would make sense.

Additionally, James Markese also had a brother that lived in Chicago Heights at some point.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 am
Villain wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:53 am

If James Markese was identified as a Pinelli guy in Chicago, then I very much doubt that the guy from East Harlem was him. Perhaps the Bruce Marchese who Pinelli’s daughter married was related somehow to the guy from Chicago, or it was a coincidence.

The James Markese from the Grand Ave neighborhood may be a better bet. This was James Dominic Markese, born in Chicago to Calabrese parents. His father, Nicola Marchese, was from San Nicola da Crissa, Vibo Valentia, though one document also had him as born in Simbario. Simbario may be an indicator here, as that was where the Roti, Spina, Bertucci, Andriacchi families were from. James’s daughter Carmella married a Vito Nardi, who was also from Simbario. The Nardi that I know of from the Heights crew was Dominick Nardi, and it seems pretty likely that he was born to parents from Simbario as well.

James Dominic Markese’s sister Elizabeth married a Joseph Phillip Annoreno, whose family, of course, was from Termini Imerese. Beyond that, I don’t see a direct connection to the more famous Generos/Annerinos, though there may be a relation at some level. This Joseph Annoreno had a sister that seemed to have gone by the Cerone surname also, but I was unable to confirm if she was married to a Cerone. These Annorenos were from the Grand Ave neighborhood as well, so a Cerone link would make sense.

Additionally, James Markese also had a brother that lived in Chicago Heights at some point.
Again, great research and thanks. Lots of it make sense.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Its interesting that Markese was on Grand, Siano was at Vernon Park place, Tony Decapo was on W 23rd St and William and Joe Dote were on Polk St, meaning all of these guys came from the West Side but still they operated mainly around the North Side and its suburbs. For example Dote and Decapo operated a tavern on N State St on the Near North Side which in fact was a front for gambling. This might be a clue that these fellas answered to the old "Northsiders" or Northwest Mafia which also included Pinelli.