Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by Etna »

ThutmosisChen wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:15 pm So who`s the big shot now in Montreal? I heard the Calabrians in Toronto are moving in.
The closest thing to big shots would be a mix of the Hells Angels, and the Mafia which is headed by Stefano Sollecito and I believe Leonardo Rizzuto. Wooley is another player if I'm not mistaken with his ties to to the street gangs.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

motorfab wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:37 pm When they say Calabrians, they mean the Calabrians of Montreal, the old faction of Vic & Frank Cotroni, not the Siderno Group ;)

Because some members of this faction were members of factions rivaling Rizzuto (Di Maulo or Gallo for example), the press made a Calabrian vs Sicilian shortcut, when things were a little more complex than that. A legacy of the feud Rizzuto/Violi I guess
It's not only the Montreal Calabrians they refer to when they say that. There's plenty of articles that have painted the picture it's the Rizzuto Sicilians vs the Toronto Calabrians and Hamilton Calabrians.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

OcSleeper wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:41 am
motorfab wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:37 pm When they say Calabrians, they mean the Calabrians of Montreal, the old faction of Vic & Frank Cotroni, not the Siderno Group ;)

Because some members of this faction were members of factions rivaling Rizzuto (Di Maulo or Gallo for example), the press made a Calabrian vs Sicilian shortcut, when things were a little more complex than that. A legacy of the feud Rizzuto/Violi I guess
It's not only the Montreal Calabrians they refer to when they say that. There's plenty of articles that have painted the picture it's the Rizzuto Sicilians vs the Toronto Calabrians and Hamilton Calabrians.
Yeah maybe. I hear you, but I don't know for you, I don't buy for a second that the 'ndrangheta in Toronto or the Hamilton guys were involved against the Rizzutos, since most of them are in business with the Montreal mafia. Maybe some mobsters like Calauti participate with the "separtists" but that's it. At least that's what I think ...
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

motorfab wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:45 am Yeah maybe. I hear you, but I don't know for you, I don't buy for a second that the 'ndrangheta in Toronto or the Hamilton guys were involved against the Rizzutos, since most of them are in business with the Montreal mafia. Maybe some mobsters like Calauti participate with the "separtists" but that's it. At least that's what I think ...
Yeah I wasn't saying I believe it was the Rizzutos vs Toronto/Hamilton Calabrians. I was just replying to Chen who said he read the Toronto Calabrians moved into Montreal.

I think the whole Rizzuto vs Calabrian thing was completely overblown. I don't think the Siderno Group or Violis were directly involved. They may have supported the coup but for the most part I don't think they actually played an active role in all this.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Part of the issue with the Sicilian vs. Calabrian discussion is the assumption that all Sicilian are alllied, which has proven to be untrue in Montreal and Ontario. Even the Cattolicensi were not a unified group.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Exactly, there were even Calabrians who were with the Rizzutos. That's why I discredit that whole narrative that people/media push. Just like how I don't believe this was a 40 year revenge plot planned by Dom and Joe Violi when they were 10 years old.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

motorfab wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:45 am
OcSleeper wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:41 am

Yeah maybe. I hear you, but I don't know for you, I don't buy for a second that the 'ndrangheta in Toronto or the Hamilton guys were involved against the Rizzutos, since most of them are in business with the Montreal mafia. Maybe some mobsters like Calauti participate with the "separtists" but that's it. At least that's what I think ...
I just want to point out, it wasnt Siderno guys in business with the Rizzutos. It was the Colluccios, who are part of Marina Gioiosa Jonica. And the Ursinos part of Gioiosa Jonica who made moves with the Gambinos in NY, and by appointing Guiseppe (?) Ursino to the Santa in Toronto without the Commissos approval. And THESE moves caused internal friction WITHIN the Camera Di Controllo, because they directly or indirectly challenged the supremacy of the Siderno clans. I cant remember if it was Antimafia or Calabrianwatcher who posted the article explaining it all, but it buried in here somewhere....
That's why I said before it's only recently truly become a Siderno Crimine. After LE took down the Coluccios and Ursinos, the Commisso and Figliomeni expelled the other locales.

And then there is whatever is happening in Hamilton with the Ivarones, Violis, Luppinos and Musitanos.

It's funny, Renaud said in his book Montagna and Dejardins met with the Violis from Hamilton. But he also thought the Rizzutos fucked up the hit on Dejardins too. Maybe that's part of why Scoppa said he doesnt know shit, lol...

I personally think the conflict between Rizzuto and Violi was more personal, the same years later with Nick Rizzuto and Montagna. I dont actually think the Rizzutos really had a real beef with the Bonnanos until Sciascia.
And Violi being Calabrian was only salt in the wound, not the main factor. You guys dont think it weird, in Renauds book, he had Montagna as Sciascias official messenger to Montreal. So defacto, for some time, if you believe Sciascia gave orders to Montreal, Montagna would have in fact been giving Nick orders for some time. So why would Nick react like he did when Montagna moves to Canada? To me, it's an indication Nick, wasnt taking orders before. Was Joe Renda Montagnas NY guy? Or did he use the Arcuris for that?

For me Sicilians doesnt mean Sicilian ancestry alone. It means membership in Sicilian mafia. Calabrian means membership in Ndrangheta. Calabrian to me doesnt mean Moreno Gallo or Arcadi, or the Cotronis. Because they are Cosa Nostra. And Sicilian doesnt mean like Americans who are Sicilian, it mean Sicilian mafia members. It makes it less confusing.

I guess Buscetta and Nick Rizzuto had a convo on Rizzutos membership, they were confused or something. Buscetta told him he was under the Bonnanos, but to assert himself, so he was a bad influence, lol. But that's the sicilians for you....

No NY mention in this article..... is it possible the Bonnanos rebuilding their Canada crew out of Hamilton now? Who's left in Montreal that would be considered American Cosa Nostra, Bonanno regime?

The facts were, a huge operation was sanctioned by both the Sicilians and the Americans. The entry point, or staging area for the Americas was under Bonnano super vision. But they wernt the driving force, that was like the Gambinos, Inzerillos, Badalamenti, Bontade, huge fuckin guys. But instability in the parent company, the Bonnanos, created a situation of autonomy with the satelite group.

Violi starts to exert authority, that in my opinion, he didnt really have. Everything was already agreed upon, it went over his head. He really was just a soldier under Cotroni.
I think he took advantage of the situation, saw Rizzuto as a threat. Even the Rizzutos were just lieutenants in the grand scheme of things, same with the Caruanas and Cuntreras who had to answer to Sicily too. I honestly believe it was only tolerated because of the instability in NY. The fact they had meeting after meeting about it was kinda proof everyone was going out of their way to respect the Bonnanos sovereignty, trying to let them handle it themselves. But I dont think Violi politically ever had a chance of winning.
PogueMahone
Straightened out

Post by PogueMahone »

Charles Renda allegedly offered the hit man turned witness $600,000 to kill the Scoppa brothers:

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... scoppa.php

(Sorry if this was already posted)
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Looks like the shooting happened at Sorrento Bar&Cafe from the pictures I've seen.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... eurtre.php
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

OcSleeper wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:04 pm Looks like the shooting happened at Sorrento Bar&Cafe from the pictures I've seen.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... eurtre.php
Interview of the café owner in it (interview in English, video in French)
https://www.journaldequebec.com/2021/07 ... -leonard-1
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Nicola Spagnolo freed on one count of attempted murder
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... eurtre.php
OlBlueEyesClub
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by OlBlueEyesClub »

What’s Frank Arcadi up to these days? I always found him an interesting character because he was groomed by the Cotroni faction in his early years and then went on to become one of the guys Nick & Vito confided in and brought into their circle, being Calabrian himself and Business & Blood alluding to him being disliked because of his closeness to other Calabrian criminals. With Giordano being confirmed to have been ordered by the Scoppas, I l once pondered the thought that perhaps he’d had sided with the Calabrian faction and the threats on his life coming from the Sicilian camp. But I haven’t heard much of anything about him in a number of years.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

I've also wondered what he's up too, he'd be one of the most senior members of the Montreal Mafia now. Back when everything started popping off in the mid 2000s he was at the center of it all. And there hasn't been much about him since his release in 2016. I think the article linked below is the last we heard him mentioned. His name also came up in the Violi recordings in 2015-2017, when Dom Violi offered to introduce the informant to Frank Cotroni Jr, Tony Mucci and Francesco Arcadi.

Was no mention of him even when Desjardins violated his parole and his bodyguard had a list of vehicles belonging to the Sicilians.

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2019/ ... t-en-force
Even the powerful Francesco Arcadi, a relative of former godfather Vito Rizzuto, is said to have returned to service after completing his sentence imposed after Operation Colosseum. On October 19, the 66-year-old was seen in public for the first time since 2006.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Arcadi, Del Balso and Giordano were allegedly planning on taking back control around 2015. Then obviously the Scoppas had Giordano killed.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:07 pm Arcadi, Del Balso and Giordano were allegedly planning on taking back control around 2015. Then obviously the Scoppas had Giordano killed.
Where did this come from? Genuinely curious just because I don't remember seeing anything about it.

Edit; never mind I did some searching in the thread and found the article
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/0 ... e-la-mafia
Three years ago, Le Journal learned that Arcadi and his right-hand man, Lorenzo Giordano, had informed the new leaders of the Italian Mafia of their intention to regain control upon leaving the penitentiary.