Membership of the Bonanno Crime Family decina in Montreal

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

motorfab
Full Patched

Re: Membership of the Bonanno Crime Family decina in Montreal

Post by motorfab »

thekiduknow wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:16 am Great breakdown Motorfab.

Is there anymore info on Asaro while he was on the run? Was he an active member in the Montreal decina, or just hiding out?
Jerome Vincent Asaro was convicted in 1944 for armed robbery from 10 to 30 years in prison and being freed on bail in 1953 and flee to Montreal. There he became a "bouncer" in "Vic's Cafe", then at "Chez Paree" which was managed by Angelo Lanzo. He also frequented establishments run by Luigi Greco & Vincenzo Soccio. There's good chances he was active.

He was arrested in 1966 at Vic Cotroni's mistress home. Cotroni who wanted to avoid a scandal (and probably an argument with his wife :lol: ) tried to bribe the cops to cover up the case. He allegedly offered the cops $ 50,000. He was arrested 2 weeks later and released on a bail of ... $ 50,000 :mrgreen: . But eventually he was acquitted

(all hail to Laurentian for some of the info)
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

motorfab wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:37 am
thekiduknow wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:16 am Great breakdown Motorfab.

Is there anymore info on Asaro while he was on the run? Was he an active member in the Montreal decina, or just hiding out?
Jerome Vincent Asaro was convicted in 1944 for armed robbery from 10 to 30 years in prison and being freed on bail in 1953 and flee to Montreal. There he became a "bouncer" in "Vic's Cafe", then at "Chez Paree" which was managed by Angelo Lanzo. He also frequented establishments run by Luigi Greco & Vincenzo Soccio. There's good chances he was active.

He was arrested in 1966 at Vic Cotroni's mistress home. Cotroni who wanted to avoid a scandal (and probably an argument with his wife :lol: ) tried to bribe the cops to cover up the case. He allegedly offered the cops $ 50,000. He was arrested 2 weeks later and released on a bail of ... $ 50,000 :mrgreen: . But eventually he was acquitted

(all hail to Laurentian for some of the info)
Thanks!
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Joe's father Vincenzo Asaro was also arrested with them in Montreal.
chubby
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by chubby »

Crazy breakdown , good job and I appreciate all the time you put in to that research…
I feel like once George got murdered… and massino and everyone lied to vito and his father and the guys up there… I think they took it as a sign of disrespect that not only would they clip him, but then blatantly lie to their faces about it, like they were new and didn’t know instantly that massino and them were behind the hit…
I think after that all the Montreal guys just broke off mainly and started doing their own shit… I mean the Rizzutos had the whole bonnano family smoked when it came to earning and their international influence.. I think at least…
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Sorry again guys, I was watching some news about Montreal and I had a doubt: The Rizzutos in the graphics are shown as soldiers only, we usually see them being the most powerful group since 1980, saying that the Rizzuto family is the sixth family, these things, my doubt is, from what I read here the Rizzutos were only soldiers of the Bonanno family in Montral, and possibly only became an isolated group after Massino turned in 2004?
And why were they reputed to be the Montreal bosses?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if I'm talking a lot of nonsense, I know very little about the mafia in Canada.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

aleksandrored wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:32 pm Sorry again guys, I was watching some news about Montreal and I had a doubt: The Rizzutos in the graphics are shown as soldiers only, we usually see them being the most powerful group since 1980, saying that the Rizzuto family is the sixth family, these things, my doubt is, from what I read here the Rizzutos were only soldiers of the Bonanno family in Montral, and possibly only became an isolated group after Massino turned in 2004?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if I'm talking a lot of nonsense, I know very little about the mafia in Canada.
Not at all no need to apologize and it's not nonsense questions.

Vito & Nick Rizzuto did not exceed the rank of Soldati in the Bonanno Crime Family because the administration at the time preferred to appoint Gerlando Sciascia, but it is clear that when they returned from Venezuela in 1980, it was Nick & Vito the natural leaders of Montreal.

The thing of the "Sixth Family", I never bough it, IMO it is mostly a thing of journalists which remained thanks to the book of the same name (some here will probably not agree with me). I don't know if they are/were among the "most powerful" Families, but Nick Rizzuto had a lot of contact and connections with families in Italy for two reasons:

-The Montreal mafia has Zips in its ranks. According to Violi in the early 70s, 20 officially incorporated under the capodecina of Montreal. But certainly more, if we take all those who are not under the control of the decina. We can assume that the question no longer arose from the 80s.

-Nick Rizzuto was close to the Cuntrera brothers and spent from 1972 to 1980 his time in Venezuela forging links with other mafiosi in drug trafficking.

As for their independence, it depends on who you ask. I think they became a autonomous group in 2004 when Massino flipped, others think it was 1999 after Sciascia's murder, others think they're still with the Bonannos. And others think they were autonomous before coming back to the Bonannos. Good luck with that :mrgreen:

When Sal Vitale came to Montreal after Sciascia's murder, he proposed to Vito that Nick become the new capodecina, which Nick refused. He also said that Montreal was a group apart that it was very good that way. Anyway, it clearly shows who was in charge in Montreal
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

motorfab wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:25 am
aleksandrored wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:32 pm Sorry again guys, I was watching some news about Montreal and I had a doubt: The Rizzutos in the graphics are shown as soldiers only, we usually see them being the most powerful group since 1980, saying that the Rizzuto family is the sixth family, these things, my doubt is, from what I read here the Rizzutos were only soldiers of the Bonanno family in Montral, and possibly only became an isolated group after Massino turned in 2004?

Not at all no need to apologize and it's not nonsense questions.

Vito & Nick Rizzuto did not exceed the rank of Soldati in the Bonanno Crime Family because the administration at the time preferred to appoint Gerlando Sciascia, but it is clear that when they returned from Venezuela in 1980, it was Nick & Vito the natural leaders of Montreal.

The thing of the "Sixth Family", I never bough it, IMO it is mostly a thing of journalists which remained thanks to the book of the same name (some here will probably not agree with me). I don't know if they are/were among the "most powerful" Families, but Nick Rizzuto had a lot of contact and connections with families in Italy for two reasons:

-The Montreal mafia has Zips in its ranks. According to Violi in the early 70s, 20 officially incorporated under the capodecina of Montreal. But certainly more, if we take all those who are not under the control of the decina. We can assume that the question no longer arose from the 80s.

-Nick Rizzuto was close to the Cuntrera brothers and spent from 1972 to 1980 his time in Venezuela forging links with other mafiosi in drug trafficking.

As for their independence, it depends on who you ask. I think they became a autonomous group in 2004 when Massino flipped, others think it was 1999 after Sciascia's murder, others think they're still with the Bonannos. And others think they were autonomous before coming back to the Bonannos. Good luck with that :mrgreen:

When Sal Vitale came to Montreal after Sciascia's murder, he proposed to Vito that Nick become the new capodecina, which Nick refused. He also said that Montreal was a group apart that it was very good that way. Anyway, it clearly shows who was in charge in Montreal
I understand, so they were just soldiers for the Bonnano crime family, but despite that they were called "leaders" because of their contacts and power, thank you very much for the expensive explanation.

Another question: why is there so much war in Montreal? I even think about following the topic Post RIzzuto Era, but I'm pretty lost on this subject, to this day I don't know who ordered the Rizzutos killed and why.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

aleksandrored wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:51 am Another question: why is there so much war in Montreal? I even think about following the topic Post RIzzuto Era, but I'm pretty lost on this subject, to this day I don't know who ordered the Rizzutos killed and why.
It's going to be complicated to detail everything, but to simplify, because those who managed the Rizzuto Family (a ruling panel with Nick Rizzuto, Rocco Sollectito, Paolo Renda & Francesco Acardi as street boss) made bad decisions. For a story of drug trafficking territory Acardi killed Johnny Bertolo, a close friend of Desjardins in 2005. In retaliation Domenico Macri was killed. Operation Colisee in 2006 put the ruling panel in prison for a while, other factions were formed and there were more murders.

Around 2015-2016 the Scoppa brothers had also made a faction adding more murders, etc .... It seems that it has calmed down a bit since the murder of the Scoppa.

I find some time ago this chart detailing the murders and attempted murders between 2005 & 2013. It stops just before the murder of Moreno Gallo. It's in French, but you have the different factions (except Scoppa, logic). If you want me to translate stuff for you, tell me, I'll do it when I'll have time. Apart from that, you have the main groups here ;)

And you have this. All is not connected with the Montreal war but you have all the mob murders related in Canada for this period https://gangsterreport.com/bullet-point ... 2005-2020/
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

motorfab wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:33 am
aleksandrored wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:51 am Another question: why is there so much war in Montreal? I even think about following the topic Post RIzzuto Era, but I'm pretty lost on this subject, to this day I don't know who ordered the Rizzutos killed and why.
It's going to be complicated to detail everything, but to simplify, because those who managed the Rizzuto Family (a ruling panel with Nick Rizzuto, Rocco Sollectito, Paolo Renda & Francesco Acardi as street boss) made bad decisions. For a story of drug trafficking territory Acardi killed Johnny Bertolo, a close friend of Desjardins in 2005. In retaliation Domenico Macri was killed. Operation Colisee in 2006 put the ruling panel in prison for a while, other factions were formed and there were more murders.

Around 2015-2016 the Scoppa brothers had also made a faction adding more murders, etc .... It seems that it has calmed down a bit since the murder of the Scoppa.

I find some time ago this chart detailing the murders and attempted murders between 2005 & 2013. It stops just before the murder of Moreno Gallo. It's in French, but you have the different factions (except Scoppa, logic). If you want me to translate stuff for you, tell me, I'll do it when I'll have time. Apart from that, you have the main groups here ;)

And you have this. All is not connected with the Montreal war but you have all the mob murders related in Canada for this period https://gangsterreport.com/bullet-point ... 2005-2020/
Thank you very much for the explanation, it seems that the mafia in Canada nowadays is even more interesting than the one in the USA, if you could translate a little I would be very grateful, mafia from Canada caught my attention recently. :D
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Translation :

Before Vito's arrest

-Period 1 The fall of the Calabrians: the fall of the Violi clan, who had taken over from the Cotronis at the head of the Montreal mafia, began with the murder of Pietro Sciara in 1976, a Sicilian who had joined forces with the Calabrian. It took a few years for the police to identify Nicolo Rizzuto as the town's new godfather.

-Period 2 The turmoil: the extermination of the Violi clan gave rise to a period of instability during which the Cotronis tried to save what remained to them of activity, to avenge their deaths, or to settle their scores. It is the last start of the Calabrian, eclipsed by the Sicilians from the 80s.

- Period 3 The ice cream war: the Sicilians came to power not smoothly as they sought the monopoly of certain sectors, notably Italian ice cream (gelati) and cold meats.

-Period 4 The biker war: according to police documents, several murders committed within the mafia during the 90s would be collateral damage of the biker war which opposed the Hell's Angels to the Rock Machine and which made more than 160 dead.

After Vito's arrest:

2005-2006 the flood
2007-2008 the revolt
2008-2010 the fall of the Sicilians
2011 the war and the return
2012-2013 the return

Disclaimer: These figures have been compiled following extensive research in archives, police documents and other sources: they are not exhaustive. The Press compiled 40 murders before the arrest of Vito Rizzuto but these were committed over a period of 27 years, compared to the 50 murders over a period of 9 years after the arrest of the godfather in 2004. On the latter murders , about forty are directly linked to the Italian mafia, according to our research. Several murders committed during these periods have other motives including classic mob hits, turf battles and purges within the same clan. The Press considered certain kidnappings or disappearances in recent years to be murders. La Presse has listed nearly 80 murders, attempted murders, kidnappings or disappearances linked to Montreal organized crime from January 2004 to the present day [thus shortly before November 2013], but only the names of those we consider to be the main victims have been entered. on the lists above. The names appear under the clans to which the victims belonged at the time of the attack, but may have since changed.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Thanks a lot fella! :D
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Emanuele Ragusa's statement before the parole board in 2003 is interesting:

“In Italy, I think, the Mafia is an organization … a good organization,” Ragusa explained. “Anyone can be called a Mafioso. It comes from Sicily. Here, it’s paesani all from the same village, maybe fifteen or twenty people.”
ThutmosisChen
On Record

Post by ThutmosisChen »

motorfab wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:33 am

Why are there so many groups within the Montreal mafia? Did they all take orders from the Bonannos in the old days? And at the height of Vito`s power was he able to control groups like Cotroni? Why did Montagna have his own faction when he`s from New York? Sorry a lot of dumb questions but Montreal is really a bit confusing.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

ThutmosisChen wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:08 am Why are there so many groups within the Montreal mafia? Did they all take orders from the Bonannos in the old days? And at the height of Vito`s power was he able to control groups like Cotroni? Why did Montagna have his own faction when he`s from New York? Sorry a lot of dumb questions but Montreal is really a bit confusing.
They're not dumb.

These factions were formed following the incarceration of Vito Rizzuto, because they disagreed with the new leadership or because of personal grievances.

Montagna was deported from NY in 2009 and landed in Montreal where he was born. He wanted to put the Montreal mafia under his flag, but the Rizzutos kindly told him to go to hell. He then allied with Raynald Desjardins to take over but they fell out, and Montagna ended up getting killed in 2011, like most of the guys who followed him.

As for the Bonanno authority on Montreal, yes the guys I listed in the first post of the thread were supposed to answer them. Even if as I said they often enjoyed a certain autonomy
Last edited by motorfab on Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

B. wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:21 am Emanuele Ragusa's statement before the parole board in 2003 is interesting:

“In Italy, I think, the Mafia is an organization … a good organization,” Ragusa explained. “Anyone can be called a Mafioso. It comes from Sicily. Here, it’s paesani all from the same village, maybe fifteen or twenty people.”
It's totally crazy to declare that before a parole board lol