First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

funkster
Full Patched

Re: First look at ‘Sopranos’ prequel…

Post by funkster »

Wouldn’t you prefer to like something?
JohnnySalami
Straightened out

Post by JohnnySalami »

Michael gandolfini confirmed the movie is based around Dickie moltisanti and his come up
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pmac2 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:50 am i want to hate it but i just watched the trailer it looks good. i wanted to hate the breaking bad movie on netflix that was really good. shit i would have went to the movie thearter to watch it. jessie drives to alaska spoiler.
Anyone who hasn't seen El Camino by now deserves to be spoiled.
All roads lead to New York.
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

Pretty sure this is the one and only time Chris Moltisanti ever interacts with AJ the whole entire series:

https://youtu.be/zHP7nEtao2Q

-Dante
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

B. wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:00 pm I agree with PolackTony.

Nothing on the Sopranos painted a picture that Tony grew up a ruthless street kid. His father was a mafia captain and they lived a middle class life. He was heavy into 1970s rock and his childhood friends were Artie and Davey (two of the least tough guys on the show, next to maybe Carmela's father), and the flashback scenes show Tony was clueless about his father and organized crime as a kid.

When Artie and Davey each get into trouble with the mob, they're surprised to see the other side of Tony that's ruthless and uncompromising. The idea is that they didn't grow up with "Tony the Gangster", meaning yeah, he probably was a fairly regular kid up to a point.

One of the reasons for the Jackie Jr. stick-up storyline was to show he was similar to young Tony... son of a high-ranking member trying to prove himself and like the Saints trailer, people tried to steer Tony away from the life just like Tony tried to steer Jackie away. The difference was Tony didn't screw up the robbery and had members who advocated for him, while everyone washed their hands of Jackie Jr. Not to get too "psych 101", but Meadow dated a guy who was the opposite of Tony (black Jewish nerd) and then dated Jackie because he was like her father, at least on the surface.

Tony Soprano as an adult is as murderous as Greg Scarpa and Roy Demeo... Saints would be a garbage movie if it was just about a 17-year-old hardened gangster going around wasting people. Better to see the evolution.

Man, we're already analyzing this thing and we've only seen short trailer.
Young Tony had a chance to get away from the mob but Dicky " pull him back in ".
Chopper
Straightened out

Post by Chopper »

Michael Imperioli could’ve carried a new season right about now, if they didn’t kill off Chris in the last season. Even with Gandolfini dead, it would’ve been possible to do a good, new season.

14 years have passed, if HBO starts throwing money around I’m sure Chase would have been up for it.

The movie trailer looks good, it’s just with the Sopranos they are threading on holy ground, as far as I’m concerned 😁.

I love that show, rewatch it about once every 2 years. I’ve seen a lot of shows, and some are just as good or even better, but I just fucking love Sopranos.

As i grow older myself, I appreciate different things on the show then when I was a kid. You know, not the mob part of the show, but just life. Your house, your wife, fucking kids 😁. It’s brilliant that way.
"Do you think Ralph is a little weird about women?"

"I don't know Ton'… I mean, he beat one to death"
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

Chopper wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:12 am Michael Imperioli could’ve carried a new season right about now, if they didn’t kill off Chris in the last season. Even with Gandolfini dead, it would’ve been possible to do a good, new season.

14 years have passed, if HBO starts throwing money around I’m sure Chase would have been up for it.

The movie trailer looks good, it’s just with the Sopranos they are threading on holy ground, as far as I’m concerned 😁.

I love that show, rewatch it about once every 2 years. I’ve seen a lot of shows, and some are just as good or even better, but I just fucking love Sopranos.

As i grow older myself, I appreciate different things on the show then when I was a kid. You know, not the mob part of the show, but just life. Your house, your wife, fucking kids 😁. It’s brilliant that way.
I feel the same. It could have gone on for years. Hopefully the prequel spawns more movies or a new show. If it makes money I’m sure they will want to. Chase doesn’t do much anymore. They could get Terrance winter to revive it with him.
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Chopper wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:12 am Michael Imperioli could’ve carried a new season right about now, if they didn’t kill off Chris in the last season. Even with Gandolfini dead, it would’ve been possible to do a good, new season.

I would love to watch a new season of the Sopranos. If a reboot still has Chase running the show, I don't see how it could be that bad. The guy is all about avoiding shitty stereotypical TV storytelling and is too old and stubborn sell out now. Maybe AJ seeing Tony get killed in front of him would be enough for him to snap and get involved in crime. Maybe he could even take on the mantle as the new Chrissy character. He turns to drugs to cope with his father's death. There are already a lot of other similarities there: mental illness, pipe dreams, stupidity. Also it would probably follow the rise of Benny Fazio, criminal mastermind :lol:
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Raven wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:10 am

I feel the same. It could have gone on for years. Hopefully the prequel spawns more movies or a new show. If it makes money I’m sure they will want to. Chase doesn’t do much anymore. They could get Terrance winter to revive it with him.
Imagine for example, a sequel showing these guys' reactions to Trump, Biden, QAnon, BLM, Antifa, capitol hill riots, trans rights, social media and the rise of the modern internet (The internet in 2007 was primitive compared to today). They could show the state of the DiMeo Family, New York crime families, Lupertazzi and others now.They could bring back some of the younger guys like Little Paulie Germani, Perry Annunziata , Benny Fazio and Walden Belfiore; they're now around the age Tony was in S6. Maybe some older guys have gotten released in the years since which would be an opportunity to get veteran actors involved (Imagine Mickey Rourke, Andrew Dice Clay or Vincent Gallo as an NJ made guy who was in federal prison since 1998 and he's out now). The violence of the show's era is pretty rare nowadays. Probably due to better law enforcement and advancements in technology which make illegal acts a lot tougher. Nevertheless, I'd still love to see a sequel depicting the New Jersey mob in the 2020s. They could even hire John Pennisi, Gene Borrello and Anthony Arilotta as advisers :lol:
Last edited by Nick Prango on Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

funkster wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:52 am Wouldn’t you prefer to like something?
sometimes. then sometimes im just a hater :lol:
bluehouse
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by bluehouse »

I never thought about it but you are 100% right.Shows like dexter are coming back after almost a decade.If they didnt kill Chris off he definantly could of beeen the main character.They could of done a quick recap of tonys death and rather than make it unrealistic and have NY kill him he could of just had a heart attack.Silvio and Paulie take over but then certain things happen and chrissy becomes acting boss because JR is still alive (just like how domanic is still alive)

Chris would of been the most interesting because by now his kid would of been older and he probably still loves adriana and is haunted by it.The dream sequences he would of had of adrianna would of been epic
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

I for one hope the sopranos ends after this movie

I can’t explain it but it’s a certain aura to it that I just wish it ends there you know
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

It's my favorite show but I always felt Christopher's death was a waste and not interesting. It's shocking, that's it. If I had my way Christopher gets tripped up in season six and flips. The show still ends with Tony debating his future given he's looking at a guaranteed life sentence.

I'd watch a show about Christopher in witness protection. Imperioli could hold his own as Christopher in the lead 100%. Seeing the ultimate gen X gangster deal with with normal society while trying to stay hip would give us all kinds of gold. Wouldn't be the same without the full Sopranos cast, though.

Too bad Chase's idea for the Bacala sitcom never panned out. Bobby and Janice could hold their own as well, as you can see from Chase giving both characters bigger and bigger roles up to the end. Bobby was already comedic relief and Janice's evil insanity could be made funny. They could have had Bobby trying to run Junior's old crew of senior citizen gangsters... always potential comedy with a bunch of angry old men. Would have been the new Roseanne.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Yeah I agree 100% about Chris’ death. It would’ve made for a more interesting ending had Chris been in custody being pressured by the Feds while Tony was going to war with Phil.

Although it did lead to one of my favorite bits of dark humor on the show when Tony was meeting with Paulie in the last episode. Making him captain of the Aprile crew. Paulie doesn’t want the job because everyone that had it has died and he’s freaking out because the cat in Satriale’s keeps staring at the picture of Christopher. And Tony is basically scolding him for believing a bunch of dumb shit. But then Tony himself, candidly and almost sheepishly with a tiny smirk on his face, admits—“I’ll tell you this. Since his death....my gambling luck has done a 180.” Classic.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

Here’s a question for you all? Say Tony died and the show kept going. Who’d have been boss?
I would have rather see Chris whacked by NY. Also I’m really curious who Liotta is playing. I’ve heard French Lamanna, Broadway Dickie Moltisanti (Chris’ grandpa) & Ercole DiMeo. I hope it’s Ercole DiMeo, but who knows.