General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Snakes »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:50 pm Interesting tidbits from "Rednesday" on the Mob Vlog channel. Red Wemette said that when Joey Lombardo went prison his crew was taken away, and when he came out he tried to make scores with other crews, including Chinatown. He also said that he heard that Jimmy Cozzo did get made around 1993 (previously he told me that Cozzo hadn't been made when he was around).
Yeah, that time frame makes sense. He was identified by the feds as made when he was barred from that Local which was why I was I always figured he was made at some point.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

funkster wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:52 pm Does anyone know if the Cozzos also own the garage across from their compound?
Do you have the address?
Snakes wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:59 pm
Antiliar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:50 pm Interesting tidbits from "Rednesday" on the Mob Vlog channel. Red Wemette said that when Joey Lombardo went prison his crew was taken away, and when he came out he tried to make scores with other crews, including Chinatown. He also said that he heard that Jimmy Cozzo did get made around 1993 (previously he told me that Cozzo hadn't been made when he was around).
Yeah, that time frame makes sense. He was identified by the feds as made when he was barred from that Local which was why I was I always figured he was made at some point.
I asked him a while back about Legs D'Antonio, and he said he wasn't made either. Yet he was reported to have been the guy who succeeded Eboli and Centracchio after him.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

funkster wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:52 pm Does anyone know if the Cozzos also own the garage across from their compound?
They own that entire block. You know Nina Cozzo is a big Trump supporter with a podcast now who calls her grandfather an entrepreneur :lol:

It's called "312 Conservative." She used to be Director of Facilities Management for Chicago and I believe she lost her role under Lightfoot. Quite a character. Whatever happened to the pool hall they ran is that still open?
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

SolarSolano wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:20 am
They own that entire block. You know Nina Cozzo is a big Trump supporter with a podcast now who calls her grandfather an entrepreneur :lol:

It's called "312 Conservative." She used to be Director of Facilities Management for Chicago and I believe she lost her role under Lightfoot. Quite a character. Whatever happened to the pool hall they ran is that still open?
Oh good lord lol. I knew a guy who used to take his car to be worked on there, he told me that he had seen the dude who ran it carrying a piece in his waist band on more than one occasion. I've also seen a very "Chicago" guy get out of a Caddy and go in there since it's been closed and they've been trying to rent it out. Haven't been past the pool hall recently, will drive by there this weekend for shits and giggles.

Antillar, 523 Ogden, I've looked it up on the Cook County tax portal, but nothing comes up.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:20 am
They own that entire block.
Yeah that was my understanding but I’ve never looked at the property or tax records for the specific addresses (Funkster is great in that). Over time the Cozzos took over a bunch of those properties there is what I’ve heard. Wemette has a great story about one. Back when Jimmy Boy wanted to expand his house to create the famous “compound”, there was a building next door with a Puerto Rican lounge in the storefront. The owners refused to sell to Cozzo. So according to Red, the guys had Mikey Swiatek blow up the building at night, and thus Cozzo acquired the property and had the room to put in his pool.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Lol that's one way to do it.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

funkster wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:45 pm Lol that's one way to do it.
Stories like that one, or the incident where Philly Amato’s boys (allegedly) ran a car full of Federal narcotics agents onto the curb near Grand and Damen and then roughed them up and threatened them at gunpoint, go to show how wild these guys really were.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

From Cleveland underboss Angelo Lonardo’s 1988 testimony:
Chicago controls west: There is a separate Commission in Chicago. Chicago has control of all of the Western families, including Detroit. The Chicago Commission makes and enforces the rules for those families and settles inter-family "beefs." If there was a beef or problem that included New York families with Chicago on Chicago-controlled families, that dispute would be settled by members of both Commissions having a sit-down and working out the dispute. Up to 1983, when I went to jail, I knew that Tony Accardo was head of the Chicago family and, therefore, the head of the Chicago Commission.

Copied from: http://mafiahistory.us/maf-invl.html

Source info:
 Hunt, Thomas, "Cleveland Mafia insider Lonardo testifies," The American Mafia, mafiahistory.us, last revised 19 Jun 2021, accessed 19 Jun 2021.

Copyright © 2021, Thomas Hunt
The fact that Lonardo specifically mentioned Detroit is interesting, given the close relationship between Cleveland and Detroit. My understanding is that Detroit was not really ever “under” Chicago or represented by them on the Commission, but perhaps I’m wrong on that? I can’t imagine that during the years Detroit had a Commission seat they “answered to” Chicago, but perhaps after Joe Z stepped down they did?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:55 am From Cleveland underboss Angelo Lonardo’s 1988 testimony:
Chicago controls west: There is a separate Commission in Chicago. Chicago has control of all of the Western families, including Detroit. The Chicago Commission makes and enforces the rules for those families and settles inter-family "beefs." If there was a beef or problem that included New York families with Chicago on Chicago-controlled families, that dispute would be settled by members of both Commissions having a sit-down and working out the dispute. Up to 1983, when I went to jail, I knew that Tony Accardo was head of the Chicago family and, therefore, the head of the Chicago Commission.

Copied from: http://mafiahistory.us/maf-invl.html

Source info:
 Hunt, Thomas, "Cleveland Mafia insider Lonardo testifies," The American Mafia, mafiahistory.us, last revised 19 Jun 2021, accessed 19 Jun 2021.

Copyright © 2021, Thomas Hunt
The fact that Lonardo specifically mentioned Detroit is interesting, given the close relationship between Cleveland and Detroit. My understanding is that Detroit was not really ever “under” Chicago or represented by them on the Commission, but perhaps I’m wrong on that? I can’t imagine that during the years Detroit had a Commission seat they “answered to” Chicago, but perhaps after Joe Z stepped down they did?
It seems the Outfit was the go-to family for the families west of Chicago, as well as Detroit, though I've never really understood labeling it a "Commission." At least in the sense of how it worked on the east coast.

In any event, by the time of the 1995 LIUNA RICO Complaint, Detroit was said to be represented by the Genovese family.
All roads lead to New York.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

I know Wemette knew a lot about the outfit, and I don’t doubt most of his stories. But sometimes his info seems like he’s reaching or just filling in gaps. My opinion of course.

When he starts talking about who was made and in what year that’s what raises some red flags for me. Hell, a lot of Italian outfit guys weren’t privy to that info or weren’t sure at the time. That and his claim that he saw an FBI file that explicitly said Difronzo was a CI are the most sketchy IMO.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Coloboy wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:52 am I know Wemette knew a lot about the outfit, and I don’t doubt most of his stories. But sometimes his info seems like he’s reaching or just filling in gaps. My opinion of course.

When he starts talking about who was made and in what year that’s what raises some red flags for me. Hell, a lot of Italian outfit guys weren’t privy to that info or weren’t sure at the time. That and his claim that he saw an FBI file that explicitly said Difronzo was a CI are the most sketchy IMO.
I’ve always found Red to be forthcoming and apparently honest. At least within his circle of Grand Ave guys, he says that guys were well aware of who was made. But I’m also hesitant when he makes claims about things that happened after he was off the streets. He maintained close contacts with some Feds, I think, so it’s possible that some of his info on later events came from them.
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

This gigi Rovito outfit (associate/soldier?) claims he’s a target of Italian discrimination https://patch.com/illinois/burrridge/it ... at-records

I’m also pretty sure the guy making the comments is probably boka breeze
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Dave65827 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:07 pm This gigi Rovito outfit (associate/soldier?) claims he’s a target of Italian discrimination https://patch.com/illinois/burrridge/it ... at-records

I’m also pretty sure the guy making the comments is probably boka breeze
Ha, that's quite a story.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

There’s another one with a clip of Gigi speaking during the zoning meeting. He’s from Calabria (probably Cosenza), but as he came over as a kid I don’t really hear an Italian accent, just a hard Chitalian accent.

Were Gigi or Andy Rovito 12th St Players? I’ve wondered this as Gigi was allegedly the one who tapped Carparelli to throw Joe Serpico the beating over the Mickey Davis gambling debt. Maybe not, as I believe that the Rovitos lived in Addison (?). If the latter is true, they are yet another set of Italian-born guys in Outfit circles from the Addison area.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Dave65827 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:07 pm I’m also pretty sure the guy making the comments is probably boka breeze
Don’t know if you were kidding here, but I think you’re right. I also strongly suspect that this “John” is our old friend Boka.