Former Youngstoen Mob Boss Lenny Strollo Dies

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Re: Former Youngstoen Mob Boss Lenny Strollo Dies

Post by JCB1977 »

coldshoulder wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:34 pm On this subject of Lenny Strollo:
1.) The initial Vindicator article about Lenny's death was, to me, not very well written--it felt rushed, unorganized, and just sloppy writing overall, you would have thought they would have had most of it pre-written, but appears not.
2.) The one nugget that has come out of all this, which I had never heard before, was that Prato was involved in the Charlie Crab set-up, not that it surprises me but because I've never heard or read that specific detail anywhere else before. Maybe I wasn't following along closely enough.
3.) If it is somewhat common or even begrudgingly accepted knowledge that Dinsio was the sniper who killed Joey, why hasn't he been prosecuted for that? Or has he, and I missed that too?
4.) Strollo tried to give up some of the Pittsburgh guys, but Porter's flip was much more important, and Lenny's testimony was only confirmation of what was already known; plus Lenny's prosecutors were more focused on the the politicians and judges in the Youngstown area that had been in on the game previously.
5.) As others have noted, the Pittsburgh outfit was still humming pretty good into the late 90's, and likely a little beyond.
1. The actual Vindicator newspaper went out of business and the Tribune Chronicle in Trumbull County puts out a “shortened” version of The Vindicator for the Mahoning County population. It’s just not the same newspaper it once was.

2. Yes, Prato wanted Carabbia dead. He had 3 meetings at the Brown Derby restaurant in Boston TWP, OH as well as his restaurant/banquet hall called The Calla Mar with John LaRocca, Kelly Mannarino, Angelo Lonardo and Jack Livavoli specifically requesting permission to kill Charlie for getting drunk and continuing to run his mouth. The deal Angelo Lonardo finally struck was that they could kill Charlie Carabbia but under no circumstances were they allowed to touch Orlie Carabbia because he was needed to support Charlie’s widow and Ronnie Carabbia’s widow since Ronnie was doing 25-life for the Danny Green bombing.

Have you ever seen these articles? They provide excellent intel from the Feds/wiretaps/informants.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=5h ... occa&hl=en (Cleve-Pitts War- Youngstown article)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=69 ... +war&hl=en (Pittsburgh Takeover)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=wp ... +war&hl=en (Cleve-Pitt Mob war)

3. The FBI (SA Bob Kroner) went to visit AD while he was incarcerated and offered to move him to Elkton in West Virginia to be much closer to his daughter and he told him to go fuck themselves. There was an informant who was locked up for a murder in Pennsylvania who is a contract killer for the Cleveland Family, his name was Robert Dorler. They found his blood evidence at the murder scene of Junior Senzarino (a Carabbia cousin) after DNA became available. He confessed to the murder and begin telling the FBI everything about unsolved murders and all of his information checked out. Before they brought everything to the grand jury, Dorler dropped dead of a massive heart attack while in prison and that was the closest they ever got.

4. Pittsburgh was dealt a devastating blow when Strollo was indicted. They lost an enormous stream of income. And the Ciancutti bust was a big loss...but still has the other gambling organizations kicking up...not the way it once was but nonetheless gambling and loansharking was still coming in.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
coldshoulder
On Record

Post by coldshoulder »

Certainly acknowledge that the Vindy/Tribune isn't near where it used to be, but still I thought they could have done better.

Thanks for the 3 links posted, of the three, the Vindicator's which ran in 1982 across 4-5 pages in a Sunday edition, is pretty comprehensive, and the most informative. I'll definitely re-read it. In the same vein, I have been searching without success for a multi-page circa 1982 article written by Ned Whelan in Cleveland Magazine titled "Getting Away with Murder", another well-researched story which intertwined the Naples-Carabbia war with the acquiescing local political and governmental authorities who ignored it.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Lenny's Obit is in today's Vindicator. His daughter Gale worked for me as a hostess.
A really good woman that refused to believe any of those terrible things people said about her Father just weren't true. Oh well.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
coldshoulder
On Record

Post by coldshoulder »

Lenny was a real "family man"...who woulda thunk it?
Nothing about even any of his semi-legitimate business ventures...? Or maybe there were none?

https://www.vindy.com/obituaries/2021/0 ... 1931-2021/
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

I first met Lenny with Henry at his upper end restaurant in his motel on Market Street in North Lima.
Lenny then bought the Ramada Inn on Belmont Ave in Liberty and operated another high line restaurant, The Captain's Table, inside the the Ramada Inn.
Before he opened The Captain's Table one of his Minions ran Bundos, a really good restaurant, in a small building in front of the Ramada Inn.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola