General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:16 pm Tony, have you found where in Sicily Pietro Catalanotto came from?

I only know he was Sicilian and born in 1850. His body was identified or claimed by a John Catalanotto.

It's a surname you see in Agrigento, including Sambuca. Let me know if you can find anything.
I’m not 100% certain, but unless he arrived via an assumed name my best guess would be Villafranca Sicula, Girgenti. There was a Pietro Catalanotto who arrived in NYC in 1893 from VS, birth year stated as 1851, who was naturalized in 1904. At the time he was living in BK, occupation listed as shoemaker, petition witnessed by a Giovanni Mesita. There’s a couple of other records for a Pietro Catalanotto born 1841/42 in VS, maybe the same guy.

Again, not certain about this. You might know this already, but the Pietro Catalanotto who died in Chicago 1915 had a daughter named Mariantonia who married Giuseppe Locascio of Chiusa Sclafani. as Cavita already mentioned there were Catalanottos in Bisacquino, so perhaps this is pointing there. Of course, VS isn’t far away either, so who knows. There was a Pietro Catalanotto born 1852 in Bisacquino, but it seems that he died in childhood.

To further complicate things, there was also a Pietro Catalanotto born 1842 in Ribera.

The John Catalanotto who claimed Pietro’s body would’ve been a son, who in turn seems to have died 1916.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I also note that in the '60s there was a Giuseppe Catalanotte identified as a Sicilian narcotics operative in Detroit. The Chicago Catalanottos seem to have also used that or similar spellings of the surname.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:35 am I also note that in the '60s there was a Giuseppe Catalanotte identified as a Sicilian narcotics operative in Detroit. The Chicago Catalanottos seem to have also used that or similar spellings of the surname.
eboli wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:04 am
Villain wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:41 am In addition to this great story which was written by Eboli, during the 1930's the Genovese family supplied the Chicago Outfit with heroin with the help of two of their alleged members Anthony Pisciotta and Thomas Garibaldi. I dont have a clue if they were Luciano aka Genovese members so maybe Eboli can confirm this...

At the same time, Jewish mobster Jacob Klein who was born in 1903 in Brooklyn, by the mid 1930’s arrived on Chicago’s North Side with “preferences” from Luciano mobsters on the east coast and became one of the city's biggest dope peddlers.

During the 40's and 50s, another alleged Genovese contact and supplier was Harry Tantillo but some sources say that he was also close associate of the Lukes...
Pisciotta was a Genovese member since the 1950s, but I don't think Garibaldi was ever made. Both of them were big wholesale narcotics dealers in the 50s and 60s and were known to be working together. One time Garibaldi went on the run after Pisciotta was busted for selling heroin to an undercover agent. During my search on Benny Red's activities I found some info that he was connected to Joseph Catalanotto, Detroit Partnership member and big drug pusher in his own right. It was reported he had no known legitimate sources of income and all he did was slinging dope. Catalonotto was described as heroin supplier to the Chicago Outfit.
From an older thread on Benedetto Cinquegrana and Carmine Zeccardi. If the Detroit Catalanotto (who I believe may have been deported or otherwise returned to Sicily? Not sure on that) was linked to Chicago it does make you wonder if there was any deeper tie, despite the intervening decades. Something to be aware of at least.

Anyone know where in Sicily Joe Catalanotto was from?
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

PolackTony wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:40 am From an older thread on Benedetto Cinquegrana and Carmine Zeccardi. If the Detroit Catalanotto (who I believe may have been deported or otherwise returned to Sicily? Not sure on that) was linked to Chicago it does make you wonder if there was any deeper tie, despite the intervening decades. Something to be aware of at least.

Anyone know where in Sicily Joe Catalanotto was from?
Joe Catalanotto from Detroit was from Salemi in Trapani, Sicily. He was deported in 1957, returned in secret to the US a few months later before relocating to Cuba. He was deported from the island to Italy in 1959.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If Catalanotto was from Trapani, we might have an idea where he'd fit in.

But if he's from Sambuca or Agrigento, that opens other possibilities. There is a question of what brought the Merlos to Chicago. By the 1920s there was a Riberesi group that appears to have rallied around Merlo as boss, but was there an earlier Agrigento colony Merlo joined? His father Calogero died in Chicago in the early 1900s. Usually people followed their paesani and relatives, so seems the Merlos wouldn't have gone to Chicago blind.

There's also the question of Merlo's own mafia roots. In the late 1800s two Italian investigators went to Sicily to research the mafia and the first lead they were given after arriving was to go to Sambuca and just observe the town in order to understand the mafia. Would indicate Sambuca was a mafia stronghold. Later when Magaddino was recorded talking about Merlo as boss, it's clear Merlo was a major national figure and presided over a national assembly type meeting. He has all the markings of someone from Sicilian mafia heritage.

Catalanotto appears to have had a crew or faction under him, with a second-in-command, but how that shakes out in the mafia structure is anyone's guess.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

I found some info on Joe Catalanotto when I was looking into his connections to Benny Red. According to the FBN, he was born in Salemi, but he might've been born in Alcamo. Parents Liborio Catalanotto and Vincenza Giacalone. He had at least three brothers: Salvatore (b.1893); Vincenzo (b. 1896); Benedetto (c.1900). Salvatore, Vincenzo, and Joe emigrated in the 1910s. They went by the names Catalanotto, Catalanotti, and Catalanotte. Salvatore was the Unione Siciliana boss in the 1920s, died from natural causes in 1930, aged 36. His two younger brothers were involved in his illegal activities, including drug smuggling since the late 1920s. Vincenzo was convicted on narcotics charges and deported in 1934. After his deportation, he was IDd as a mafia member in Trapani and had a few convictions. The other brother, Benedetto, was a murder suspect back in Alcamo. Later in life Vincenzo was a wine merchant, and it was suspected he and his brother Joe smuggled drugs into Canada and the USA using his wine distribution company.

Joe Catalanotto was described as a very violent man 'with psychopathic tendencies' and was linked to half-a-dozen murders in the 1920s and 1930s in Detroit. His arrest record dates back to 1921. He had no legal means of employment, and that's why he was targeted by law enforcement. All he did was murder people and deal drugs. By the 1950s he was one of the biggest heroin wholesale dealers in America and was also IDd as a 'ranked' member of organized crime and as a 'very important member' of the Detroit Partnership. He was described as one of The Outfit's main suppliers and even supplied the New York families. Benny Red was a re-distributor for him, which I found odd because Benny was a big wholesale smuggler himself, and had his own channels. One of Joe C.'s daughters married into the Palazzolo family.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

New article about the murder of Tony Lombardo in 1928. Great read

https://www.chicagotribune.com/history/ ... story.html
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm Nice clip of Cerone....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RdK6RMDapWo
Yes that’s a good clip. Seems like that was Willie Messino with him. Anyone recognize what street in EP he’s on?

I recall reading or hearing that people in the neighborhood were terrified of Jack’s Doberman lol.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Patrickgold wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:51 am New article about the murder of Tony Lombardo in 1928. Great read

Yeah, won't let me view it unless I subscribe.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

cavita wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:15 pm
Patrickgold wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:51 am New article about the murder of Tony Lombardo in 1928. Great read

Yeah, won't let me view it unless I subscribe.
Here you go but unfortunately it won’t include the good photos they had in the article

Flashback: Tony Lombardo’s slaying on a busy Loop street was one of the most brazen murders of the Prohibition era

By RON GROSSMAN
CHICAGO TRIBUNE
MAY 07, 2021 AT 5:00 AM

The brazen gangland slaying of Tony Lombardo

Tony Lombardo, the head of Chicago's powerful ...
MORE
(Chicago Tribune historical photo)
Mob leader Tony Lombardo died when he and his bodyguards yielded to the temptation to gawk at an airplane being hauled up the side of a Loop skyscraper during an early fall afternoon.
A crowd greeted the Chicago mobster and two of his underlings as they arrived at the intersection of Madison at Dearborn streets. All heads were bent skyward as workers lifted a small aircraft to an open window on the 11th floor of the Boston Store for a sales promotion.
Advertisement

Mesmerized by the sight on Sept. 7, 1928, Lombardo and his guards were oblivious to a pair of assassins waiting in a business across the street.
“I saw a man come from the doorway of the restaurant and run toward Lombardo’s back,” a witness told police, as reported in the Tribune. “I looked away for a moment and then came the shots and Lombardo fell and then every one started first one way and then another and the men with guns were running around the corner and policemen running toward the men who were shot.”
ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Lombardo in a Chicago booking mug, circa 1928. Lombardo had recently moved to Cicero with his young wife and two small children when he was fatally shot on Sept. 7, 1928, in Chicago.
Tony Lombardo in a Chicago booking mug, circa 1928. Lombardo had recently moved to Cicero with his young wife and two small children when he was fatally shot on Sept. 7, 1928, in Chicago. (Chicago Police Department)
Lombardo was dead, and Joseph Ferraro, one of his bodyguards, was gravely wounded. “You’re going to die,” an assistant state’s attorney told him in Italian. “Who shot you?”
Ferraro shook his head, signaling his fidelity to omerta, the mafia’s vow of silence.
The other bodyguard, Joseph Lolordo, chased one of the killers, but a police officer grabbed him, mistaking him for an assassin because of the gun in his hand.
It was one of the most brazen mob hits of the bloody Prohibition era. The violence erupted shortly after Lombardo left his headquarters, the offices of the Italian-American National Union, on Dearborn near Madison.
Lombardo headed the fraternal organization, which was first known as the Unione Siciliana. The post was as dangerous as it was lucrative; Lombardo wasn’t the first president to end up murdered. Politicians vied for the influential group’s support, and underworld factions fought over it.
The previous year, automatic shotguns were discovered in an unoccupied apartment across from Lombardo’s Chicago home on Washington Boulevard. “So far as I know, I have no enemies who would want to kill me,” he told the police.
[Most read] Column: Aaron Rodgers is as good as gone from the Green Bay Packers. Suddenly the Chicago Bears might have the best QB situation in the NFC North. »
Nonetheless, Lombardo moved to Cicero. After his assassination, reporters went there to ask Lombardo’s wife about the shooting. They realized too late that they were breaking the news to her. She begged to know the details: How serious were his wounds? What hospital was he in?
“With much difficulty a phone call was put through to the Central police station, and the reply came back that he had been taken to the Western Casket company,” the Tribune wrote.
Onlookers and mourners crowd around the Cicero home of Tony Lombardo during his funeral service on Sept. 11, 1928. "The funeral had been scheduled for 10:30 o'clock in the morning, but then Cardinal Mundelein had followed the custom he established years ago of not permitting the bodies of slain gangsters to be taken into Catholic churches," the Tribune wrote. "So, as there was no church ceremony, the funeral was postponed until 1 o'clock."
Onlookers and mourners crowd around the Cicero home of Tony Lombardo during his funeral service on Sept. 11, 1928. "The funeral had been scheduled for 10:30 o'clock in the morning, but then Cardinal Mundelein had followed the custom he established years ago of not permitting the bodies of slain gangsters to be taken into Catholic churches," the Tribune wrote. "So, as there was no church ceremony, the funeral was postponed until 1 o'clock." (Chicago Tribune historical photo)
Because the Chicago Archdiocese refused to allow Catholic churches to be used for mobsters, Lombardo’s home hosted his funeral service four days later. Outside, groupings of flowers spelled out “T. Lombardo.” A floral heart towering over 8 feet framed the message “My Pal” and bore a card with the inscription, “From Al Capone.”
Capone, Chicago’s most infamous mobster, “held court in the backyard” during the service, the Tribune wrote. Lombardo was his trusted adviser.

“Look over the hoodlums out there and you may see some of the fellows we want for many murders,” a Chicago police commander said. “Lombardo was a dangerous fellow and there’ll be a lot of dangerous guys at his funeral.”
Though the service was in Cicero, Chicago police showed up. They searched cars for machine guns and patted down mourners.
“There’ll be no trouble taking pictures if you just take crowd pictures,” Capone told the press. “Don’t try to get any close-ups.”
Pallbearers carry the body of slain gang chieftain Tony Lombardo to a burial vault at Mount Carmel Cemetery on Sept. 11, 1928.
Pallbearers carry the body of slain gang chieftain Tony Lombardo to a burial vault at Mount Carmel Cemetery on Sept. 11, 1928. (Chicago Tribune historical photo)
A funeral procession 2 miles long brought Lombardo’s remains to Mount Carmel Cemetery in suburban Hillside. “A male quartet sang in Italian ‘Nearer, My God, To Thee.’ Then the mourners dispersed to go about their business of avenging the loss of their chief,” a Tribune reporter observed.
In the search for Lombardo’s killer, suspicions first fell on Lolordo, the bodyguard who survived the attack. He was interrogated during an inquest. “Lolordo might have been tempted by the pile of gold that undoubtedly would be paid for the murder of either Lombardo or Capone,” the Tribune reported an assistant state’s attorney as saying.
Previously, another mobster, Joe Aiello, had offered a chef $35,000 to put prussic acid, a form of cyanide, in soup intended for Lombardo and Capone.
But some cops said Lolordo was too tight with Lombardo to betray him.
Testing determined that the gun Lolordo was holding when a cop grabbed him after the shooting hadn’t been fired. Ballistics confirmed that another gun found at the scene delivered the fatal shots.
Officials including Deputy Coroner Robert Fraser and Assistant State's Attorneys Charles A. Dougherty and Sam A. Hoffman pose before a set of guns, possibly from the shooting, at the inquest into the killing of Tony Lombardo in September 1928.
Officials including Deputy Coroner Robert Fraser and Assistant State's Attorneys Charles A. Dougherty and Sam A. Hoffman pose before a set of guns, possibly from the shooting, at the inquest into the killing of Tony Lombardo in September 1928. (Chicago Tribune historical photo)
In any case, his fellow mobsters made Joseph Lolordo’s brother, Pasqualino, the new head of the Unione Siciliana. He didn’t serve long.
In January 1929, Pasqualino Lolordo “was slain in his home by three men who ate at his table with him and drank wine with him in his parlor, and who were seen by Mrs. Lolordo,” the Tribune reported. “Later when she was shown a picture of Joe Aiello the widow screamed.”
Aiello and Lombardo had been partners in a wholesale grocery business that provided sugar to bootleggers for making alcohol. But Lombardo’s ascension to president of the Unione Siciliana infuriated Aiello and led him to cut ties.
Aiello left Chicago for New York, with Capone’s men in pursuit, but in October 1930, he was back in Chicago. He gained control of the Unione Siciliana and kept a low profile. On Oct. 23, as Aiello was leaving his apartment on a rare occasion, hit men from a building across Kolmar Avenue opened fire with machine guns. The shower of bullets hit Aiello more than a dozen times.
About six months before Aiello’s death, Chicago police obtained a warrant to go after one of his associates, Frank Marlo, for Lombardo’s murder. But before Chicago authorities could find him, the hit man was discovered dead in Manhattan on Feb. 18, 1931.
[Most read] Chicago’s housing market is red-hot. Here’s how five buyers found homes. »
“Whoever killed Marlo pumped seven bullets into his chest and mutilated his head as if they tried to scalp him,” the Tribune wrote.
On that grisly note, the hunt for Lombardo’s killer ended. No one was ever brought to trial; only suspicions remained. Capone, who controlled the South Side rackets and feuded with North Side mobsters, ordered the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre in 1929 in retaliation for Lombardo’s murder — or so it is believed.
Lombardo was responsible for changing the name of the Unione Siciliana to the Italian-American National Union and admitting non-Sicilian Italians. That surely pleased Capone, whose parents came from Naples on the Italian mainland. But it must have offended some of the Unione Siciliana’s old-timers.
Frankie Yale, the hoodlum president of the New York lodge, resented it, and he had an on-again-off-again relationship with Capone. Could Yale have ordered a hit on Capone’s adviser Lombardo before his own untimely demise?
In its reporting on Lombardo’s killing, the Tribune predicted: “It meant a war to the death between the most powerful Sicilian rulers of New York and Chicago.”
But when all is said and done, one thing is for sure: Lombardo’s murder remains as puzzling as it was on the day when he turned the corner of Dearborn and Madison and said: “Look at the airplane
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:15 pm

Yes that’s a good clip. Seems like that was Willie Messino with him. Anyone recognize what street in EP he’s on?

I recall reading or hearing that people in the neighborhood were terrified of Jack’s Doberman lol.
Nice lol

I also believe thats Messino who is barely following Cerone lol I dont know who was better bodyguard, Messino or the Doberman lol
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 am

Nice lol

I also believe thats Messino who is barely following Cerone lol I dont know who was better bodyguard, Messino or the Doberman lol
Well, the Doberman may have been an animal, but Willie was the “beast” lol.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:52 pm
Villain wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 am

Nice lol

Well, the Doberman may have been an animal, but Willie was the “beast” lol.
Spot on Lol
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Patrickgold wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:54 pm New Chicago Tribune article related to the Outfit

Greylord-era murder case tainted by corrupt judge is re-docketed in Cook County

criminal court 
MEGAN CREPEAU

April 26 at 3:30 PM

CT
A relic of a scandalous era in Cook County history made its way back to the courthouse where it all began Monday — setting up the possibility of a new trial on a 1982 double murder with links to the Outfit and the momentous federal probe known as “Operation Greylord.”
Robert Gacho, 66, has been trying to win a new trial for decades, given that the judge who presided over his trial was later found guilty of fixing murder cases and apparently had taken a bribe from his co-defendant.
But Gacho was unsuccessful until earlier this year, when the federal 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the judge’s corruption tainted the case even though Gacho never paid a dime.
So on Monday, Gacho’s case returned to the Leighton Criminal Court Building, where Gacho’s case was re-docketed in a routine hearing and scheduled for arraignment in front of Judge Adrienne Davis next month.

A spokesperson for the Cook County state’s attorney’s office declined to comment Monday on whether the office has decided to go forward with a second trial for Gacho. Proceeding to trial on such old charges presents obvious challenges, but is not unheard of at Leighton. 
If Gacho is retried, it would resurface the infamous Greylord probe, a corruption investigation among the widest-ranging in Chicago history, inside the courthouse where much of that conduct took place.
Leaving a lasting stain on the county’s courts, the Greylord investigation hinged on a Cook County lawyer who posed as a corrupt attorney and wore a wire to catch lawyers and bagmen handling bribes. Ultimately, 92 public officials were indicted, and 15 Cook County judges were convicted.
But of all the dirty judges investigated in Greylord, only one, Thomas Maloney, was ever convicted of fixing murder cases. Also investigated in the adjacent Operation Gambat, Maloney was accused of taking bribes to fix three, including one involving members of the El Rukn street gang.

And it was Maloney who presided over Gacho’s trial nearly four decades ago.
The allegations at the center of the case are gruesome. In December 1982, a forest ranger came across a car in a desolate spot near the Des Plaines River, and heard pounding coming from inside the trunk.
Inside were cocaine dealers Aldo Fratto and Tullio Infelise, who — like Maloney himself — orbited the Outfit world. Infelise was a relative of Chicago mob figure Ernest “Rocco” Infelise, Gacho’s lawyers noted in one court filing.
Both had been tied up and shot multiple times.

Fratto was dead. But Infelise survived for two weeks afterward, and told police his attackers were “Robert Gotch, Dino and Joe.”
Cook County prosecutors charged Gacho along with Dino Titone and Joe Sorrentino with murder, kidnapping and armed robbery in what they alleged was a drug deal gone bad.
Sorrentino was tried separately, while Gacho and Titone stood trial together in Maloney’s courtroom. Gacho chose to have his case heard by a jury.
But Titone opted to have Maloney determine his fate — and the 7th Circuit found his father had forked over $10,000 to ensure an acquittal, citing an earlier affidavit where the Titone’s father said he had been told if Maloney found the others charged in the case guilty it would be enough to cover his tracks.
But soon, “federal investigators began closing in,” the 7th Circuit wrote. Maloney ultimately backtracked on the deal and found Titone guilty in an apparent attempt to make himself look less suspicious.
Gacho was found guilty by the jury, and Maloney sentenced him to death, a sentence that was later tossed out by an appeals court. Gacho, who did not appear on a video link for his hearing Monday, instead is serving life in prison.
Maloney retired in 1990, and despite his attempts to throw investigators off the scent, he was indicted the next year on racketeering and extortion charges related to allegations that he rigged the cases in the decade prior.
While Maloney was not charged with wrongdoing in the Titone case, he was accused of taking bribes in several other cases during the same era. In 1993, after a six-week trial, Maloney was convicted of taking payoffs. He was sentenced to prison and died in 2008 after being released.
Titone, who paid Maloney for an acquittal that never came, won a new trial because of the bribe. He was convicted again in 1998, this time in a jury trial, after testifying he was playing poker with friends at the time of the crime.
But Gacho, who has since alleged that his lawyer unsuccessfully tried to solicit a $60,000 payoff to Maloney, saw his case linger in sluggish post-conviction proceedings for decades. An Illinois appeals court had previously rejected his argument that his case was affected by judicial bias.
But he won relief in federal court in February, when the 7th Circuit said they could not expect Maloney to be impartial in Gacho’s case when he had been paid off by Gacho’s co-defendant in the joint trial.
“Any decisions Maloney made in Titone’s case based on his desire to deflect scrutiny from the Operation Greylord investigators would necessarily affect Gacho too,” the appeals court wrote. “No reasonable person could accept that Maloney would be neutral in the joint trial after he accepted a bribe from Gacho’s co-defendant and then reneged on the deal out of self-preservation.”
And so the case is back at Leighton, where Gacho is set for arraignment on the 40-year-old charges next month
Lol Gacho.

https://twitter.com/jmetr22b/status/139 ... 16743?s=21