Opinion/Discussion: DeCavalcante Present Day

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Nurzhamba
Straightened out

Re: Opinion/Discussion: DeCavalcante Present Day

Post by Nurzhamba »

hi, do you know who is in the photo? google identifies them as members of the Decavalcante family.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

B. wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:57 pm Pogo -- I contacted the co-author of the book Doug Schofield (not the agent) and asked if he thought Majuri was the acting boss. He said no, but gave no other info. I would have preferred to ask the undercover agent directly but couldn't find a contact.

I don't know whether Schofield thought I was asking about the "street boss" or "acting boss", and it's not clear how knowledgeable he is on those kinds of details as he doesn't seem like a mafia expert and may have had little role in the book aside from writing/editing, but it at least lends itself to your belief that the acting boss is Guarraci or someone else.

Let's hope more info comes out from inside sources.
I had been thinking about this for a while and I emailed Schofield to ask whether Sclafani was Horse. For the purpose of clarity I'll just include here the relevant part of my email and the response verbatim.

My question:
You write about an incident where Luigi Oliveri disrespects Tin Ear Sclafani at a DeCavalcante social event, and I noticed this appeared to be identical to the following incident described in the Stango indictment:

"On or about January 29, 2015 STANGO (in Nevada) had a recorded conversation with COLELLA (in New Jersey). During the course of this conversation, STANGO told COLELLA about his simmering hatred for V-1, and that he wanted V-1 to disciplined because of his earlier display of disrespect to the acting boss of the DCF, a/k/a 'Horse' in front of other family members at a social gathering at a social club in Elizabeth."

Would you be able to confirm whether Sclafani and this "Horse" are the same person?
Shofield's response:
No, not the same incident. Had me confused too. I just spoke with G. He said the DCF acting boss at the time was Charlie "Big Ears" Majuri.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:18 pm
B. wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:57 pm Pogo -- I contacted the co-author of the book Doug Schofield (not the agent) and asked if he thought Majuri was the acting boss. He said no, but gave no other info. I would have preferred to ask the undercover agent directly but couldn't find a contact.

I don't know whether Schofield thought I was asking about the "street boss" or "acting boss", and it's not clear how knowledgeable he is on those kinds of details as he doesn't seem like a mafia expert and may have had little role in the book aside from writing/editing, but it at least lends itself to your belief that the acting boss is Guarraci or someone else.

Let's hope more info comes out from inside sources.
I had been thinking about this for a while and I emailed Schofield to ask whether Sclafani was Horse. For the purpose of clarity I'll just include here the relevant part of my email and the response verbatim.

My question:
You write about an incident where Luigi Oliveri disrespects Tin Ear Sclafani at a DeCavalcante social event, and I noticed this appeared to be identical to the following incident described in the Stango indictment:

"On or about January 29, 2015 STANGO (in Nevada) had a recorded conversation with COLELLA (in New Jersey). During the course of this conversation, STANGO told COLELLA about his simmering hatred for V-1, and that he wanted V-1 to disciplined because of his earlier display of disrespect to the acting boss of the DCF, a/k/a 'Horse' in front of other family members at a social gathering at a social club in Elizabeth."

Would you be able to confirm whether Sclafani and this "Horse" are the same person?
Shofield's response:
No, not the same incident. Had me confused too. I just spoke with G. He said the DCF acting boss at the time was Charlie "Big Ears" Majuri.
Ask who he believe to be milk?
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

B already asked I believe and Shofield said it was Joe Merlo
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

Alright so with that piece of new info:

Acting Boss-Charles Majuri
Street Boss-Joey Merlo
Underboss-Unknown
Consigliere-Frank Nigro
Captain-Charles Stango
Captain-Joe Collina
Solider-Luigi Oliveri
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:18 pm I had been thinking about this for a while and I emailed Schofield to ask whether Sclafani was Horse. For the purpose of clarity I'll just include here the relevant part of my email and the response verbatim.

My question:

Shofield's response:
Nicely done Chin. I wonder why he gave different response to B but like B said maybe he was confused about the whole street boss acting boss aspect. Seems like he spoke with the agent before he answered you back which maybe he should have done before he responded to B also.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

so Horse is big ears and milk is merlo
yes?
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, I specifically asked who the "acting boss" was, which he said was neither Majuri nor Guarraci, and then I asked about the "street boss", which he confirmed is Merlo Jr.

I don't believe the author on his own has any expertise into the DeCavalcantes or the mafia in general and was involved in this project mainly from a literary angle. He was probably confused about some of the titles and relationships when answering on his own. The fact that he spoke to the undercover agent again for clarification before he answered Chin means we basically got the answer from the "horse's" mouth: Majuri, the most likely candidate all along.

It also means that Majuri was either in attendance at the event where Sclafani was insulted by Oliveri, or there were two separate incidents where Oliveri insulted senior members.

Great job reaching out to him again, Chin. Also thanks to Schofield for talking to the agent again and getting us clarification.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

It would make sense considering Majuri was being lined up to replace Riggi. Would also explain why him being acting boss isn't mentioned in the book if Schofield didn't know until yesterday
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Makes me wonder what his impression was when I was talking to him. If he didn't think Majuri, Guarraci, or Sclafani were in the spot, who did he think was there before he touched base with the agent?

The info in the book about Merlo continuing on as street boss if Majuri becomes boss also makes sense given Majuri was acting boss and Merlo was aligned with him.

Makes you wonder what Riggi's stance on Majuri was. Did he appoint Majuri as acting boss, or was it basically out of his hands? We know the Riggi and Majuri factions were at odds (and have been since the 1990s) but the book also indicates Majuri was reluctant to do anything too aggressive while Riggi was alive and planned to take over upon Riggi's death.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

joerock wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:56 am Alright so with that piece of new info:

Street Boss-Joey Merlo
Underboss-Unknown
Consigliere-Frank Nigro
Captain-Charles Stango
Captain-Joe Collina
Solider-Luigi Oliveri

Joe Collina is dead.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:41 pm
joerock wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:56 am Alright so with that piece of new info:

Street Boss-Joey Merlo
Underboss-Unknown
Consigliere-Frank Nigro
Captain-Charles Stango
Captain-Joe Collina
Solider-Luigi Oliveri

Joe Collina is dead.

Pogo
I’m taking about during the time of indictments. The chart may have changed since then who knows
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Then you can add John Riggi as the Boss and Manny Riggi as a Capo.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:04 am Then you can add John Riggi as the Boss and Manny Riggi as a Capo.

Pogo
John Riggi-Boss
Street Boss-Joey Merlo iii
Underboss-Unknown(any opinions?)
Consigliere-Frank Nigro

Capo-Manny Riggi
Capo-Charles Stango
Capo-Joseph Collina

Soldier-Luigi Oliveri
Soldier-Joe Sclafani-(active~unknown)

Associate-Anthony Stango
Associate-Mario Galli iii
Associate-James Heeney
Associate-Rosario Pali
Associate-John Capozzi
Last edited by joerock on Wed May 19, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

And streetboss Merlo no ?
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny