Chicago Chop Shop Murders

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Chicago Chop Shop Murders

Post by Snakes »

Murders at least tangentially related to chop shop operations in the Chicago Outfit, circa 1969-1983

August 1, 1969: Harry Donald Carson - car bomb
December 14, 1970: Donald Russell Roberts - disappeared
June 17, 1971: Ralph Pronger, Jr. - shot to death
August 8, 1972: Guido Fidanzi - shot to death at Chicago Heights gas station
September 1, 1972: Michael Ragen and Roger Croach - shot to death; discovered in field in NW Indiana
June 6, 1975: Harold "Harry" Holzer and Linda Darlene Tucker - shot to death in Michigan home
July, 1975: Jesse Richardson - shot to death
November 4, 1975: Donnel Crawford - shot to death
October, 1975: Ronnie Munson - shot to death
December 1, 1975: James Small - thrown (or jumped) from third-floor window
October 10, 1976: Steven Hyman Ostrowsky - shot to death outside office at South Chicago Auto Parts
January 1, 1977: Norman Lang - shot to death
March 4, 1977: Patrick Marusarz - shot to death during card game
June 1, 1977: Richard Ferraro - disappeared
June 15, 1977: Joseph Theo - shot to death; found in backseat of car
July 3, 1977: John Schneider - shot to death; discovered in trunk of car
July 12, 1977: Earl Abercrombie - shot to death; found in trunk of car at O'Haire
July 25, 1977: Sam Annerino - shot to death outside Oak Lawn furniture store
August 25, 1977: James Palaggi - shot to death; discovered in van
July 28, 1978: Jimmy Catuara - shot to death outside his car
June 1, 1979: Timothy O'Brien - shot to death; found in trunk of his car
July 21,1979: Donald Lawson - shot to death by customer
May 1, 1980: Edward Dejesus - shot to death behind apartment building
May 1, 1980: Robert Kurowski - shot to death; found on bridle path near home
July 2, 1980: William Dauber and Charlotte Dauber - shot to death while driving
July 23, 1981: Charles Monday - beaten to death; discovered in trunk of car
August 7, 1981: Anthony Legato - beaten to death; discovered in trunk of car
September 12, 1981: Nicholas D'Andrea - beaten to death; discovered in trunk of burning car
October 3, 1981: Sam Guzzino - stabbed and shot to death; discovered in ditch
November 1, 1981: Harold Rosenbloom - beaten to death; beaten to death at place of business
January 11, 1983: Robert Subatich - shot to death; discovered in trunk of car
March 3, 1983: Michael Chorak - shot to death in office
Villain
Filthy Few

Re: Chicago Chop Shop Murders

Post by Villain »

I believe that the so-called chop shop conflict ended by the late 70s and also some of these pre-80s guys were killed because of different reasons which had nothing to do with that same racket. I believe theres a little bit of "myth" in the alleged chop shop conflict
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Villain wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 am I believe that the so-called chop shop conflict ended by the late 70s and also some of these pre-80s guys were killed because of different reasons which had nothing to do with that same racket. I believe theres a little bit of "myth" in the alleged chop shop conflict
Yeah, that's why I added "tangentially" but at the same time if these guys were just average Joes they wouldn't have been killed. Their involvement with chop shops directly or indirectly led to their deaths.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:59 am
Villain wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 am I believe that the so-called chop shop conflict ended by the late 70s and also some of these pre-80s guys were killed because of different reasons which had nothing to do with that same racket. I believe theres a little bit of "myth" in the alleged chop shop conflict
Yeah, that's why I added "tangentially" but at the same time if these guys were just average Joes they wouldn't have been killed. Their involvement with chop shops directly or indirectly led to their deaths.
Thats true but some of these fellas were also killed because of their involvment in the dope trade for example, or for doing unsanctioned hits etc.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Here are some photos of a few of the individuals listed above:

SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Lots of those southside guys were big into coke. Here is one for you Snakes - you think this murder was connected to the chop shops? I believe both Messinos who were cousins of Willy were heavily into those rackets.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Looking back at this era, chop shop connected or not, it strikes me that this bloody time period was one of the things that led to the demise of the outfit as it once was. Meaning the bosses at the time (Accardo/Aiuppa/Cerone) were stuck in another era where murder would keep everything in line.

This was when murder really started to become totally unacceptable from the LE standpoint, and IMO was one of the things that led to the feds going after the outfit as public enemy number 1 so hard.

The old tricks just couldn't work forever.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

SolarSolano wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:06 pm Lots of those southside guys were big into coke.
Ora Curry....chop shop operator and one of the prime connections for most of these guys in the dope trade. He was close with Catuara and Pronger including his brother John Pronger, since the 1960s. Curry and Pronger allegedly had business relations all the way to the Middle East, for example Lebanon. In 1986 Curry was sent to 18 years in prison on narcotics charges.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:19 pm Looking back at this era, chop shop connected or not, it strikes me that this bloody time period was one of the things that led to the demise of the outfit as it once was. Meaning the bosses at the time (Accardo/Aiuppa/Cerone) were stuck in another era where murder would keep everything in line.

This was when murder really started to become totally unacceptable from the LE standpoint, and IMO was one of the things that led to the feds going after the outfit as public enemy number 1 so hard.

There were around 90 Outfit-related his during the 1970s
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Villain wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:31 pm
Coloboy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:19 pm Looking back at this era, chop shop connected or not, it strikes me that this bloody time period was one of the things that led to the demise of the outfit as it once was. Meaning the bosses at the time (Accardo/Aiuppa/Cerone) were stuck in another era where murder would keep everything in line.

And you have to think there are dozens more that no one knows about.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:32 pm
Villain wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:31 pm

And you have to think there are dozens more that no one knows about.
Probably lol
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

This is a book waiting to be written.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Nice pics. You can see from their eyes that Catuara, Annerino, and Billy Dauber were all stone cold killers.

Given that Red Wemette has stated that Catuara (at least in the 70s) was a capo, how many of these guys were his soldiers? Annerino I believe was one of Catuara’s main lieutenants. Then you have Fidanzi and Ferraro. Any others that belonged to Catuara’s crew? I understand that Guzzino did, but then I assume after Catuara was hit he transferred to the Heights?

My assumption is that Catuara must’ve had some significant dope interests, likely handled by Annerino. If so, who were Catuara’s connects? Ora Curry, or did Catuara also have links to the NYC families? It’s probably a stretch but I do wonder if Catuara retained any ties, familial or mafia, to Sicily.
Last edited by PolackTony on Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:53 pm Nice pics. You can see from their eyes that Catuara, Annerino, and Billy Dauber were all stone cold killers.

Given that Red Wemette has stated that Catuara (at least in the 70s) was a capo, how many of these guys were his soldiers? Annerino I believe was one of Catuara’s main lieutenants. Then you have Fidanzi and Ferraro. Any others that belonged to Catuara’s crew? I understand that Guzzino did, but then I assume after Catuara was hit he transferred to the Heights?
Several were. I'll see if I can get an accurate list together unless someone beats me to it.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Were Chris and Clement Messino were involved in the Chop Shop War/Southside guys? Or am I off in that?