Opinion/Discussion: DeCavalcante Present Day

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

gohnjotti
Full Patched

Re: Opinion/Discussion: DeCavalcante Present Day

Post by gohnjotti »

Dave65827 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:17 pm I also imagined all the young guys looking to join OC look for the 5 families and not the Pygmy family.
A wiseguy is a wiseguy regardless of whether they're from a smaller-sized family. "Young guys wanting to join OC" don't have the chance to pick and choose a family. If a young guy wants to join Italian Organized Crime, he has to hope he's lucky enough to grow up around, work for, or somehow become associated with a made member of OC. It's never a case of "Hmm, thinkin' of joining OC - who should I send my application to?" If you're in the underworld, and develop an association with a wiseguy along the way, that wiseguy's crime family is where you'll most likely end up unless you're formally transferred.
Not to mention that associates only have limited control on who they report to. It's up to the wiseguy to "claim" an associate, and other wiseguys can counter-claim. Associates can be swapped between families.
And oftentimes an associate won't even know which family his "wiseguy's" from. At least that's how it was back in the day. Nowadays there's Google, but back in the day you'd have to know a wiseguy pretty well for him to look at you and say "I'm from the such-and-such borgata."
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
tmarotta
Straightened out

Post by tmarotta »

Gotta back Gohn up here. If you guys recall back in the 1980s maybe 1990s there were associates indicted in as part of the Genovese Family and they didn’t know what family they were apart of until the newspaper article came out. Just saying people in OC often do not know who they are associated with. As I have had family members involved in OC I know is the case. Call me a fake or wannabe gangsterbb poster but I know I’m right.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:03 am Not much is known about him. His name is mentioned once in the Plumber Tapes. By the fall of 1999 he was a member in the Schiro-Goacobbe Crew. Capeci reported that he was a loanshark. Capeci also reported Miranda had been complaining for years about never being promoted to Capo before being promoted to Acting Boss and UnderBoss following the big indictments. I always got a chuckle out of that. Could have been something right out of the Sopranos. An old bitter Soldier constantly complaining about how he is never promoted and then finally when he is in his 80s he is named Acting Boss after everyone else is locked up. If the Sorpanos would have continued you could have put Patsy Parisi in that role (although he wasn't as old).

To add to this Frank Paparatto was in the same boat. For 10 years he had been promised to be inducted into the family by Riggi, then Jake Amari and then Stefano Vitabile but they never did. This eventually led to him complaining to the administration about his mistreatment and not being rewarded. Then soon after the big indictment in October 2000 he was finally made and was an Acting Boss by 2001.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

B. wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:55 pm Image
Extracts from upcoming book. Looks like it gives 'Milk' a false name, but his description is a spit for the photo B posted of Joe Merlo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Great posts nash.

Whos book?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

nash143 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:46 pm.
I notice that on the next page of Giovanni's Ring he wrote that Sam Decavalcante was the first boss of the New Jersey Family, which we know isn't true. So I don't think we have to worry about rewriting the history of the American Mafia based on his information.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Also interesting that he mentions Nick Milano from Philadelphia attending a meeting with some Gambino and DeCav people. Specifically mentions a Gambino "crew boss" called Nino Molinelli who once worked for Gotti, and a guy with him called Danny "Gooms" Bertelli (fictionalized names?)
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Not the biggest DeCavalcante researcher so don't know whether this has come out before at some point over the course of the investigation, but the book also has Manny Riggi as Oliveri's captain (as well as considering killing Riggi in addition to Oliveri).

So for that 2015 period the confirmed structure is something like:

John Riggi (Boss)
"Horse" (Acting Boss)
Joe Merlo (Street Boss)
Frank Nigro (Consigliere)
Charles Majuri (Capo)
Manny Riggi (Capo)
Charles Stango (Capo)
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

nash143 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:46 pm
B. wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:55 pm Image
Extracts from upcoming book. Looks like it gives 'Milk' a false name, but his description is a spit for the photo B posted of Joe Merlo.
That’s awesome you got some extracts from the book, how did you attain them?
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

The preview is available on Google books

https://books.google.com/books?id=nozRD ... &q&f=false
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

Thanks a lot. I don't have high hopes. That is most often the case with books authored by cops.
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

To boot, made up names? It tells me this was nothing more than a 2-bit state police bust of not much.
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

chin_gigante wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:05 am The preview is available on Google books

https://books.google.com/books?id=nozRD ... &q&f=false
Thank you
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

Interesting bit about Milano, I doubt he was meeting with Gambino and DeCavalcante guys without the guys down here being aware.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson