Giardinieri and stoppaglieri

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Giardinieri and stoppaglieri

Post by B. »

This thread had me thinking of the different professions in Cosa Nostra, especially historically. You see virtually everything, with some notable exceptions: law enforcement and journalism.

Unless I'm blanking, can't remember hearing of a journalist with membership. It makes sense, as a journalist's job is essentially to rat on everyone, even if there is room to "spin" things in the mafia's favor.

They have had journalist allies before, but can anyone think of a journalist who became a member?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

B. wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:55 pm You see virtually everything, with some notable exceptions: law enforcement and journalism.
There have been a few cases of former or current law enforcement officers gaining membership. Sal Vitale, Ron Previte and didn't Chicago have one or two cops as members?

But reporters? No, I can't think of a single one.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

johnny_scootch wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:33 am There have been a few cases of former or current law enforcement officers gaining membership. Sal Vitale, Ron Previte and didn't Chicago have one or two cops as members?

Yeah, I was thinking more Sicilian mafia and early US, where you saw all kinds of professions. With the ex-LE guys made later in the US, it seems their previous job was "overlooked" or kept secret while other professions were always accepted or even seen as an asset. The mafia on principle wouldn't make active LE officers because no matter how much it benefits the mafia, the guy is going to technically "rat" on someone every day of his life.

Make me wonder about the police chief in Monreale who tried to create his own "mafia" faction and Antiliar saying they were eventually co-opted into the real mafia -- was the policeman recognized as a member after that? Or did he even survive? Haven't seen those details.

One that gets me is Peter Policastro. He was a corrupt NJ police sergeant and Joe Valachi identified him as a made member under Carmine Galante in his FBI interviews. Policastro testified against Joe Zicarelli later. He was def an "associate" (more than just a cop taking money) of the Galante-Notaro crew, but I wonder what made Valachi think he was an actual member.
BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

Post by BeatiPaoli »

To Everyone: The subject of the "early mafias" and proto-mafias ( as I also refer to them) in Sicily is fascinating and quite interesting. In line with this subject matter, I have 2 tangentially related questions: did both the Beati Paoli in Sicily and the Garduna of Spain (the latter allegedly an organizational precursor to the Camorra of Naples) exist? The respected author and researcher John Dickie in "Blood Brotherhoods" (the 700 page edition) implied / alluded that neither or these organizations existed, and were just criminal myths (my wording). Yet, in Charles William Heckethorn's excellent compendium, "Secret Societies of All Ages", he offers evidence of their existence. I would like to hear what everyone has to say regarding this.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

johnny_scootch wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:33 am
B. wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:55 pm You see virtually everything, with some notable exceptions: law enforcement and journalism.
There have been a few cases of former or current law enforcement officers gaining membership. Sal Vitale, Ron Previte and didn't Chicago have one or two cops as members?

There were some cops and ex-cops who were “associates” in Chicago, but I can’t think of a cop who was confirmed to be made (unless I’m spacing on someone at the moment). The closest case would be Richard Scalzitti Cain, who may have been made, though this is still very much in debate.

No reporters, unsurprisingly.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:35 pm

There were some cops and ex-cops who were “associates” in Chicago, but I can’t think of a cop who was confirmed to be made (unless I’m spacing on someone at the moment). The closest case would be Richard Scalzitti Cain, who may have been made, though this is still very much in debate.

John Matassa Sr was an ex-Chicago PD detective then worked for Sam Giancana. He was identified as made.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:08 pm

John Matassa Sr was an ex-Chicago PD detective then worked for Sam Giancana. He was identified as made.
Thanks. I’d forgotten that Matassa, Sr used to to be a cop. He’s the only one identified as made in Chicago then?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:11 pm
Thanks. I’d forgotten that Matassa, Sr used to to be a cop. He’s the only one identified as made in Chicago then?
Cain, whom you already mentioned, being the other one. Obviously we can't know for certain that they were made, but they were believed to be. The Outfit did what it wanted. Mike Magnafichi thinks Harry Aleman could have been made. He doesn't know since Aleman is before his time, but he thinks he could have been made, so we have to allow for the possibility.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

There have definitely been ex-LE snuck into the mafia, but when I brought it up above, I was thinking active LE officers or officials.

I'm not aware of any confirmed members who were actively working in law enforcement or journalism, while members in virtually every other profession continued to work in those fields before and after attaining membership, particularly in Sicily and the early US.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:08 pm

Wasnt Salvatore Moretti also a cop?
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:18 am
Yes, but was he made?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:33 am
Yes, but was he made?
Havent made any research on that subject although it seems he was direct with Giancana and possibly acted as one time bodyguard...Moretti was killed because he left some crucial evidences while committing a murder
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:35 am
Yes, but was he made?
Havent made any research on that subject although it seems he was direct with Giancana and possibly acted as one time bodyguard...Moretti was killed because he left some crucial evidences while committing a murder
Interesting that all of the cops in the Outfit were direct to Giancana.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:36 pm
Yes, but was he made?
Never really thought of that lol btw, i see one of Salvatore's brothers Lawrence "Hornsby" Moretti listed as member of Prio's group
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:36 pm
Yes, but was he made?
While obviously not made, Michael Corbitt also claimed in his book that he became a cop at the behest of Giancana.