Does the mob fix games?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Momo
Straightened out

Does the mob fix games?

Post by Momo »

I've been thinking about for a while cause lately NBA refs are terrible, just terrible. Calling fouls when there's no contact, giving technical fouls for no reason. They are either soft or corrupted. Like I'd understand if only a ref or two do that but almost every single refs doing it. I'm just tired of seeing those fuckers calling for every damn position. Does the mob have hands on it? or they are just terrible?
“It’s easy to kill somebody,” - Joey Merlino
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Does the mob fix games?

Post by SantoClaus »

“To know and not to do, is not to know”
Rat
Straightened out

Post by Rat »

I highly doubt that any NBA refs are mobbed up, but the refs this year have been absolutely atrocious
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

I wouldn’t be shocked if they were able to fix low level Division 1 college hoops here in Jersey and NY, wouldn’t surprise me one bit.
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

I think there was a case recently where some Colombo 20 yr old wannabes tried to fix a game but it went no where
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

The Donaghy scandal involved some loosely connected guys to the Gambinos, if I remember right. The recent Amato case with the Colombos involved attempting to fix NCAA basketball games. The Luccheses were involved in fixing NCAA basketball games in the 1970s (Hill wrote about it in his book).

In short, it's not unheard of but it's rare.
All roads lead to New York.
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

Wiseguy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:47 pm The Donaghy scandal involved some loosely connected guys to the Gambinos, if I remember right. The recent Amato case with the Colombos involved attempting to fix NCAA basketball games. The Luccheses were involved in fixing NCAA basketball games in the 1970s (Hill wrote about it in his book).

Boston College?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Z4V9ZUa-o
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

SantoClaus wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:51 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:47 pm The Donaghy scandal involved some loosely connected guys to the Gambinos, if I remember right. The recent Amato case with the Colombos involved attempting to fix NCAA basketball games. The Luccheses were involved in fixing NCAA basketball games in the 1970s (Hill wrote about it in his book).

Boston College?
Yep.

People connected to the Genovese family were busted back in 2005 for doping horses to influence the outcome of races.

https://nypost.com/2005/01/14/dope-fix- ... -feds-say/
All roads lead to New York.
jimmi_beans8
Straightened out

Post by jimmi_beans8 »

if theres an opening
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

After Frank Carbo there was or there are some mobsters involved in fixing boxe or even mma matches?
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

SantoClaus wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:51 pm

Boston College?
The book Wiseguy goes much further into it. In Goodfellas Maury just mentions it before Pesci gets him with the ice pick.

There was also the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary about it. One of the players was a criminal minded piece of shit who more than met Hill and the mobsters half way, but the others were just roped into it with desperation and being broke. Felt bad hearing their stories.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
MightyDR
Straightened out

Post by MightyDR »

Here's Michael Franzese talking about fixing games. It's something he's brought up several times over the years so I'm inclined to believe he's telling the truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uGfeivlVFo
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

Someone should take a look at an NCAA hockey game from a few years ago. The goalie in the championship game for Boston University catches the puck, appears to be confused about where the puck is, and literally drops it in the net. Providence ends up winning the national championship. I think the next year, a couple of players were kicked out of the program for gambling. Something just seemed fishy to that whole thing.
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

mike68 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:12 am Someone should take a look at an NCAA hockey game from a few years ago. The goalie in the championship game for Boston University catches the puck, appears to be confused about where the puck is, and literally drops it in the net. Providence ends up winning the national championship. I think the next year, a couple of players were kicked out of the program for gambling. Something just seemed fishy to that whole thing.
How much you lose?
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

No infos on boxe match fixing?