General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by JeremyTheJew »

https://youtu.be/FaUk72u5_SQ

Lansky has "tons of bodies" ????
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Rat
Straightened out

Post by Rat »

How was Gigante able to rise the ranks of the Genovese while playing crazy?
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

Rat wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:10 pm How was Gigante able to rise the ranks of the Genovese while playing crazy?
He started doing that when the government started heating up its prosecution of him once Cafaro fingered him in the late 80s as the boss. At least that’s what I think, someone here should add to that
Rat
Straightened out

Post by Rat »

Shellackhead wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:27 pm
Rat wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:10 pm How was Gigante able to rise the ranks of the Genovese while playing crazy?
He started doing that when the government started heating up its prosecution of him once Cafaro fingered him in the late 80s as the boss. At least that’s what I think, someone here should add to that

Didn’t he plead insanity in his 1969 case for bribing a bunch of cops? Maybe he wasn’t playing full blown crazy then
Rat
Straightened out

Post by Rat »

I’m just curious how he did it because it seems like it’d be difficult to build enough connections and respect from other captains and made guys to become the boss while pretending to be mentally ill.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Rat wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:00 pm I’m just curious how he did it because it seems like it’d be difficult to build enough connections and respect from other captains and made guys to become the boss while pretending to be mentally ill.
Gigante was arrested for bribing the entire Old Tappan PD. This happened in the late 60s after he did his bid for drug trafficking and moved to NJ. For a few years all the cops were on his payroll. His wife Olympia was involved, too. Then he went all in with acting like a schizo. The charges were dropped in 74 after three expert evaluations, which concluded that he was legitimately fucking crazy. Thanks to them he got away from testifying in front of a grand jury, additional NYPD investigations that targeted his brother Ralph, and so on. Gigante was very feared and respected by the time he started his crazy act. He was described as a somber character who was very business-oriented. There were no games with him. Being a protege of Genovese higher ups and having three brothers who were made members in the crime family definitely helped him.
Momo
Straightened out

Post by Momo »

Do Genovese guys really strip and wear bathrobes before going to meetings?
“It’s easy to kill somebody,” - Joey Merlino
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Mete wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:28 am Do Genovese guys really strip and wear bathrobes before going to meetings?
Yeah, it's not a new rule either. The feds first heard about in 1999 when they recorded Vince Aparo, Sammy Meatballs' son, talking about it. Years later Arillotta confirmed it. He was actually made in a bathrobe.
Momo
Straightened out

Post by Momo »

eboli wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:38 am
Mete wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:28 am Do Genovese guys really strip and wear bathrobes before going to meetings?
Yeah, it's not a new rule either. The feds first heard about in 1999 when they recorded Vince Aparo, Sammy Meatballs' son, talking about it. Years later Arillotta confirmed it. He was actually made in a bathrobe.
Thanks for confirmation. I wonder why don't other families do the same thing. It's shouldn't be that hard to strip down and wear a bathrobe.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Mete wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:47 am
Thanks for confirmation. I wonder why don't other families do the same thing. It's shouldn't be that hard to strip down and wear a bathrobe.
My assumption is some mobsters find it disrespectful. It's speculated that the Genovese adopted the rule after they learned about the recording of the 1989 Patriarca induction ceremony.
Momo
Straightened out

Post by Momo »

eboli wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:59 am
Mete wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:47 am
My assumption is some mobsters find it disrespectful. It's speculated that the Genovese adopted the rule after they learned about the recording of the 1989 Patriarca induction ceremony.
Imagine caring less about your freedom than what you wear in meetings lol. I'm sure Philly guys wil never adopt that rule :D
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Mete wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:14 am Imagine caring less about your freedom than what you wear in meetings lol. I'm sure Philly guys wil never adopt that rule :D
You can look at it from a different perspective. LCN is supposed to be the 'Ivy League' of organized crime. If you're a new recruit and see this happening at your induction ceremony, how are you supposed to trust the other members as brothers, if they don't trust themselves and others enough to go through a meeting with their clothes on? :lol:

The Genovese's leadership has been practical and adapted with the times, some of the others didn't, and I guess that's why guys like Crea and Madonna are serving life sentences while Bellomo is a free man.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Vinny Basciano also made guys strip at meetings and induction ceremonies during his short run as Acting Boss.

I guess you can call that a dick.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Momo
Straightened out

Post by Momo »

eboli wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:47 am
Mete wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:14 am Imagine caring less about your freedom than what you wear in meetings lol. I'm sure Philly guys wil never adopt that rule :D
You can look at it from a different perspective. LCN is supposed to be the 'Ivy League' of organized crime. If you're a new recruit and see this happening at your induction ceremony, how are you supposed to trust the other members as brothers, if they don't trust themselves and others enough to go through a meeting with their clothes on? :lol:

The Genovese's leadership has been practical and adapted with the times, some of the others didn't, and I guess that's why guys like Crea and Madonna are serving life sentences while Bellomo is a free man.
I've thought of it that way but it's 2021, they should have known that you can't trusty nobody. Just keep your nose clean and earn some damn money. It'd be more hard for the small families because most of them are probably friends since forever but families with 60-70 current members should adopt that ASAP.

BTW:Is there a really brotherhood in mob though? I think there's only money and if you can't earn enough, you are dead and your brother is the one who pulled the trigger.
Momo
Straightened out

Post by Momo »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:57 am Vinny Basciano also made guys strip at meetings and induction ceremonies during his short run as Acting Boss.

I guess you can call that a dick.

Pogo
I've always liked that man. It's probably because of the way he look (not in sexual ways).He looks innocent and sympathetic.