Scott - Tension in Philly Mob

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Scott - Tension in Philly Mob

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Adamo shot his wife and then himself (his wife survived). Supposedly it was because Frank DeSimone raped his wife but who knows.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
123JoeSchmo
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by 123JoeSchmo »

It'd be interesting to see something on Philly for a reason I think some have missed: life in inner city Italian American Philadelphia.

We see movies on New York, Chicago, and Boston all the time and in doing so we catch a glimpse of the economic and cultural norms at the time. For example, the new movie 'Black Mass' starring Johnny Depp has a few scenes in the trailer with all the South Boston Irish protesting against the school busing of black kids with theirs. Not only do I want to see the mob, but the city and neighborhood they live in as well.

There's only one movie I can recall where they do that in regards to Philly, and that's 'Invincible' with Mark Wahlberg, the Vince Papale story. It covered the economic downturn at the time and how those blue collar, lunchbox factory guys had to rely on each other to get by. But even then the movie was pretty PG/PG-13.
phatmatress
Straightened out

Post by phatmatress »

Ivan wrote:
phatmatress wrote:I want a philly movie prob more then anyone. They are a favorite family of mine to follow. I know the geneovese for example are a 100 times more sophisticated then Philly and powerful and rich, to me philly is more entertaining and easier to follow.
It's because of the crazy cast of colorful characters. Most of them are as interesting as characters from a really colorful crime movie, like a Tarantino movie or something. A lot of time when reading about them I end up thinking "I can't believe these people really existed".

You know, they should make Philly mob collectible trading cards. Or Philly mob action figures.
lol philly has really produced a lot of crazy characters... The guys from philly for being such a small family really rivals lot of NYC guys in terms of being colorful and off the wall....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

JeremyTheJew wrote:Pistons wrote a movie called 10th and wolf that is loosely based on stanfa times. The group was even called young turks vs Sicilians.

I actually enjoyed that movie, I remember when it was being filmed in Pittsburgh on Carson St during the diner scenes. Brooklyn Rules is another good one to check out. I'm not a Freddie Prinze Jr fan, but he plays a college boy trying to fit in with the Yuppies while one of his childhood friends is getting connected with some heavy hitters for the Gambino Fzmily during the 1980's. I really enjoyed it, Alec Bsldwin plays s great role and it was written and produced by Terrence Winter and directed by Michael Corrente, who also was writer/director for maybe movies Federal Hill, Outside Providence, American Buffalo and A Shot of Gliry...I believe Corrente is actually a Rhode Islander. Anyhow, definitely worth the cost of the DVD IMO. It's a good story about friendship with a great mob overtone.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

yeah i saw Brooklyn Rules as well. James Caan kid was in it wasnt he? he was the one that was actuaslly connected. i use to own like over 50 B movie gangster flicks. the B movies are almost better because its less hollywood and more realistic.

one that i really liked was One Deadly Road with DeMeo as main character. it was basically the Casso story with a few changes at the end. One of my favorites though.

Lou Eppolito also wrote a movie, but it was pretty boring. I cant remmember the name of it. I think he even starred in it.

But 10th and Wolf i thought was pretty good. and its pretty close to the whole Merlino vs Stanfa times. The Young Turks vs a Sicilian boss that kinda came out of no where and the young guys didnt respect him. It says "inspired by true events" on the cover. but that really means next to nothing... but it was interesting that Pistone wrote it.
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

while staying on the movie topic... Witness To the Mob i thought was really good concerning the whole Gotti period. I didnt really like the movie Gotti, but I liked this one. it was based on Gravano rather then Gotti.

another good B movie that is really good in my opnion is The Don Is Dead. That and One Deadly Road are my two favorite B movie mafia movies.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Witness to the Mob is really underrated. Lot of familiar faces in it.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Witness To The Mob to me, arguably, is one of the better films out there. Like Pogo said, lots of familiar faces. And while it centers on Gravano, it doesn't glamorize him as the only "honorable" guy in the show which most films try and do. He's pretty much made to look like a scumbag too.

The filmmakers were pretty well versed in the content. There's one scene where Toddo Aurello gives a "You think you're doing everything right, but when you look back it all seems so small" something like that. That dialoque was picked up on wiretap at Castellano's house from Joe N Gallo. Little things like that I can appreciate.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Yeah, Im suprised that it didnt make it big. Especially, with all the actors in it. Seizmore played Gotti. The whole Sopranos cast was in it. But plus, it was more realistic compared to the hollywood-ized movies such as Donnie Brasco.

Has anyone seen One Deadly Road? The Casso based movie?
Borelli
Associate

Post by Borelli »

I agree with witness to the mob. Good movie. Gotti, the HBO special with Armand Assante is pretty friggin good too. Lots of wiretap talk on there too. 10th and wolf was horrible. I liked the Billy Rinnick Character, Bunchy from Ray donovan, Dash Mihok or whatever the fuck.

when he's in the strip joint and gets on the microphone "would the missus, please come to the bar". Fucking creep. haha
brianwellbrock
Straightened out

Post by brianwellbrock »

The Gotti HBO special could of easily been turned into a mini series. Same with Witness to the mob. Off topic but does anyone happen to have Il Capo Dei Capi with English subtitles?
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

It's funny that you guys bring up Witness to the Mob. I just watched it again last week after having first seen it a couple of years ago. I have it on DVD and I've got Gotti as well. Witness to the Mob has some pretty decent casting (Abe Vigoda is perfect as Paul Castellano). It offers a lot more detail than Gotti and seems more realistic, but Armand Assante's performance in Gotti is astounding. Also, I believe Witness to the Mob is in fact a mini-serie.
phatmatress
Straightened out

Post by phatmatress »

I enjoyed witness to the mob and Brooklyn's rules... Ol Baldwin did a good job and it had a good believable story to it, they also used real names of mobsters in it which I thought was cool... I want to see one deadly road where can one find this movie?

phatmatress
Straightened out

Post by phatmatress »

One mob movie I was really disappointed in was to kill the Irish man bc I'm interested in Cleveland of that time period. The follow up documentary Celtic club that came with the DVD was phenomal and over shadowed the actual movie

Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

phatmatress wrote:One mob movie I was really disappointed in was to kill the Irish man bc I'm interested in Cleveland of that time period.
Yeah that movie was pretty gay sometimes. Worst part was when Nardi died and he gave that fruity speech. In real life Nardi just said "It didn't hurt" before he died, which is pretty badass, but god forbid they put that in the movie even though it really happened. Oh and remember when they started playing that traditional Celtic music whenever Greene was on the warpath? That was fucking retarded.

That documentary you mentioned though was top notch, one of the best mob documentaries I've ever seen.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID