Los Angeles odds & ends

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Los Angeles odds & ends

Post by Antiliar »

Have to make a correction: The source that I used that said the photo was taken on April 11, 1976, was wrong. I went through some old newspapers and they reported that Sinatra performed at the Westchester Premier Theatre in Tarrytown from September 23 to October 2, 1976. The book The Last Mafioso says that Fratianno met with Gambino, DePalma, Louie Dome, and the rest two weeks before Carlo Gambino died. He had performed there earlier in the year on April 1-11. The New York Daily News confirmed that Sinatra met backstage with Fratianno and Gambino in September. The theater went bankrupt in December 1976 after having all of its profits skimmed. Anyways, Sammy Gravano wasn't made until after October 15, when Gambino died. Gravano also said that at his ceremony Paul Castellano was boss, Dellacroce was the underboss, and Joe N. Gallo was the consigliere. When Fratianno was in New York and had a sit down with the Gambino family, Paul was the acting boss, Jimmy Brown Failla was the acting underboss, and Gallo was the consigliere. When Gambino died, Dellacroce was serving a sentence at Riker's Island. So even with the corrected date, Sammy Gravano's story didn't happen.

Plus, as others noted, Fratianno was strict on protocol. The book The Last Mafioso gives several examples of him being a stickler for protocol while traveling to Chicago and New York with Mike Rizzitello. Violating protocol to basically a nobody makes no sense and is totally out of Fratianno's character. Fratianno also wasn't being introduced as the "boss of California." He was introduced as the acting boss for Dominic Brooklier (one of the reasons he got into trouble later was that he should have represented himself as the acting underboss). So after more consideration I lean to Gravano is lying to appease his subscribers.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great additional breakdown, my friend. More difficult to believe Gravano now.

Was it Tommaso Buscetta who said the one rule that is never broken is introduction protocol? That seems to be true from what I've seen. There is the story in Sicily where Amedeo Indelicato was made in Philadelphia, returned to Catania where his father Giuseppe was a member and they had to wait for Vallelunga boss Calogero Sinatra to return from Philadelphia to make the introduction as he was the only one who could do it. That is Sicily, but seems to be just as true in the US.

Speaking of Youtube, Michael Franzese had an interesting story related to that. He said his father Sonny was in prison when he (Michael) was made and that his cousin Tutti Franzese later made the formal introduction remotely. I'd have to watch the video again, but it seemed like they were pretty generous about the rule in this case yet still did their best to follow protocol. Makes you wonder how many guys may have been introduced via phone? They used to (maybe still do*) allow introductions from Sicily to the US via letter.

* - Felice shared info that in recent years a Sicilian mafioso living in the US arranged a transfer to the Gambino family via letter from his Sicilian boss, which is the traditional protocol. While it's highly unlikely, they could still in theory do an introduction the same way like they traditionally used to.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

is sammy getting caught bull...shitting
axx
Straightened out

Post by axx »

There's also the prison story (oranges) video where he mentioned he confronted and scared Gotti who then backed off while they were at the table. That particular part is not mentioned in the book, in fact from everything I read about him he was always subservient to Gotti but I guess he's trying to turn the story around a bit now. Anyway not to derail this thread, but you'll probably find many inconsistencies between his YT videos and his book.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

bronx wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:26 pm is sammy getting caught bull...shitting
bronx any idea if the son for a son deal was real ?
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
Manhattan_
Straightened out

Post by Manhattan_ »

Manhattan_ wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:29 pm Reason I do not believe this story is bc Jimmy Fratianno was in the life already for 35 + years and I do believe he would of known the way a made man needs to be introduced - by a 3rd made man. In Jimmy’s book he even mentions to Mike Rizzi as Mike is getting made in a car that the rule is a made man must be introduced by another made man as a “ Friend of Ours “
But then again with DePalma involved anything could be possible as he comes off to me as a fool anyway.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Where does scars talk about milano?

Thanks so much
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
JoeCamel
Straightened out

Post by JoeCamel »

CornerBoy wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:45 am Where does scars talk about milano?

Thanks so much
Ed scarpo website for one
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Timmoffat wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:07 am
CornerBoy wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:45 am Where does scars talk about milano?

Thanks so much
Ed scarpo website for one
Also on the Q&A he did on here a while back. It's really good material. May be in mugshots section.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

Strocco's if that guy said it is true i believe it
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Re. the Gravano meeting Fratianno story... I seem to recall (I posted it here somewhere) where someone (Chicago?) were under the false impression that Mike Rizzi was a member and was introduced as amico nos which prompted Jimmy (as newly minted Acting Under) to stop the music, told Rizzi to "go over there" and explain that no, Rizzi hadn't been straightened out yet.

I agree with the majority here that Fratianno likely wouldn't have broken the protocol, especially as an LA dignitary visiting NY which would have cast the west coast in an entirely poor light at a time when they were trying to reestablish their reputation.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

bronx wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:11 am Strocco's if that guy said it is true i believe it
I tried to watch his latest show and i coudlnt get through it you guys ruined it for me lol

any one know what kind of money do these shows generate?
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
cosanostra101
Straightened out

Post by cosanostra101 »

Nick Prango wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:57 am
Antiliar wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:54 pm Yeah, this story threw me for a loop. Gravano was made in 1976, and that was the same year Fratianno came to New York and met with Greg DePalma. The famous photo was taken on April 11, 1976. So Gravano may have only been made for a few months at that time, so why would Fratianno care about meeting him? (I don't know the exact dates on top of my head.) Plus from Gravano's story he seemed to imply that Paul Castellano was the boss, but Carlo Gambino was the boss until his death in October. From Sammy's book it's not clear if he was made in 1975 or 1976. Paul led the ceremony, but Paul was also Carlo's acting boss because of his health issues.

As for thinking that California was open territory, I can see him thinking that when he was new.
Gravano's story seems rather dubious and reads like some John Alite "tale" .
Isn't also that Cosa Nostra life is the most important when you take the oath? So why would Sammy chose his wife and dinner plans rather than to take a formal intro to Jimmy the Weasel? I smell bullshit on that story.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

So your telling me a newly made Soldier didn’t want to meet the alleged boss of Los Angeles?? GTFOOH. If Frantianno did confront him why not have Carlo Gambimo do it. He was there that night. Gravano is a liar
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Patrickgold wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:44 pm So your telling me a newly made Soldier didn’t want to meet the alleged boss of Los Angeles?? GTFOOH. If Frantianno did confront him why not have Carlo Gambimo do it. He was there that night. Gravano is a liar
Based on what Gravano said in his book and testified to, he wasn't even a made soldier when Fratianno was in town, just an associate.