Unpopular opinion. Feds don’t know nearly as much about present day active LCN families as they did in the old days.

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Unpopular opinion. Feds don’t know nearly as much about present day active LCN families as they did in the old day

Post by Pogo The Clown »

If I remember right there are 3 squads (Genovese, Gambino/Lucchese/Albanians and Bonanno/Colombo) though I have a vague recollection that this was further reduced to just 2?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
eboli
Full Patched

Re: Unpopular opinion. Feds don’t know nearly as much about present day active LCN families as they did in the old day

Post by eboli »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:44 pm If I remember right there are 3 squads (Genovese, Gambino/Lucchese/Albanians and Bonanno/Colombo) though I have a vague recollection that this was further reduced to just 2?

Pogo
You're right. I don't know if there was another change since then.
Now, for the third time in five years, the office is reducing the number of agents assigned to traditional organized crime cases, bringing the total remaining to roughly three dozen, people with knowledge of the changes said. Those agents are responsible for investigating some 700 so-called made members and 7,000 associates. The number of squads focused exclusively on the city’s five crime families will be reduced to two from three. The cuts will leave about 60 percent fewer agents in New York City investigating the mob than in 2008, when there was — as there had been for decades — a separate squad of 10 to 20 agents devoted to each crime family.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130711031 ... ators.html
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

sdeitche wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:35 am Not unpopular. Definitely true to some extent. Scott B. and I were talking the other day about how state and local law enforcement especially have little idea. I've called twice by two different intelligence detectives (form two different local agencies) over the years to help them update their list of "active mobsters".
LE in WNY is playing catch-up as well. I know they have been since 2018. This is by no means meant to start the Buffalo argument all over again. (You know where I stand and I know the argument against my position.) There is IOC in the area whether you believe it is an organized and active Buffalo family, just Buffalo remnants involved in or with other criminal families/organizations, and/or members/associates from other families active in the area. LE is actively working to put it all together.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:39 pm The mob doesn't have as much power or money as they did in the mid 20th century. More like an organized gang now. I don't think the FBI even has individual family squads anymore. Just one unit that covers all of "LCN"
Do you have any proof for that one unit statement or are you just pulling it out of your ass?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:39 pm The mob doesn't have as much power or money as they did in the mid 20th century. More like an organized gang now. I don't think the FBI even has individual family squads anymore. Just one unit that covers all of "LCN"
Outside of New York that that's not far off. New York is different though.
eboli wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:03 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:44 pm If I remember right there are 3 squads (Genovese, Gambino/Lucchese/Albanians and Bonanno/Colombo) though I have a vague recollection that this was further reduced to just 2?

Pogo
Now, for the third time in five years, the office is reducing the number of agents assigned to traditional organized crime cases, bringing the total remaining to roughly three dozen, people with knowledge of the changes said. Those agents are responsible for investigating some 700 so-called made members and 7,000 associates. The number of squads focused exclusively on the city’s five crime families will be reduced to two from three. The cuts will leave about 60 percent fewer agents in New York City investigating the mob than in 2008, when there was — as there had been for decades — a separate squad of 10 to 20 agents devoted to each crime family.
2001: After 9/11 the FBI reassigns over 75% of it's agents investigating the LCN to anti-terrorism units.

2005: 150 FBI agents investigating the LCN (down from 350 agents and 100 NYPD detectives in the 1980's and 1990's).

2009: FBI further downsizes manpower investigating LCN in New York, with under 50 agents total. Luccheses, Colombos and Bonannos each having under 10 agents, Gambinos having 12 agents, Genovese having 12 agents and some NYPD detectives.

2011: 45 agents investigating the LCN in New York; FBI condenses squads - one squad for the Colombo and Bonanno families, one squad for the Gambino and Lucchese families, and one squad for the Genovese family.

2013: FBI further reduces manpower down to 25-35 agents; further condenses squads to two - the C-5 squad investigating the Genovese, Colombo, and Bonanno families and the C-16 squad investigating the Gambino and Lucchese families.
All roads lead to New York.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Wiseguy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:30 pm
The reason the FBI doesn't know as much about the mob today as they did in the old days is that they don't need to. The mob isn't nearly what it was then.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Moscone65 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:11 pm
Do you have any proof for that one unit statement or are you just pulling it out of your ass?
lol. Another mob fan boy who wants the mob to be as powerful as they used to be.

Anyhow, here's your poof bud.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/29/nyre ... ators.html

Now go watch Goodfellas and pretend it's based on present day.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:28 pm
Moscone65 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:11 pm
lol. Another mob fan boy who wants the mob to be as powerful as they used to be.

Anyhow, here's your poof bud.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/29/nyre ... ators.html

Now go watch Goodfellas and pretend it's based on present day.
Im a fanboy because I ask for proof of something? Your a special kind of stupid there buddy. Also, the article says one squad for CHICAGO, not NY, but nice try.
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

Wiseguy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:30 pm
eboli wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:03 pm

Pogo
2001: After 9/11 the FBI reassigns over 75% of it's agents investigating the LCN to anti-terrorism units.

2005: 150 FBI agents investigating the LCN (down from 350 agents and 100 NYPD detectives in the 1980's and 1990's).

2009: FBI further downsizes manpower investigating LCN in New York, with under 50 agents total. Luccheses, Colombos and Bonannos each having under 10 agents, Gambinos having 12 agents, Genovese having 12 agents and some NYPD detectives.

2011: 45 agents investigating the LCN in New York; FBI condenses squads - one squad for the Colombo and Bonanno families, one squad for the Gambino and Lucchese families, and one squad for the Genovese family.

2013: FBI further reduces manpower down to 25-35 agents; further condenses squads to two - the C-5 squad investigating the Genovese, Colombo, and Bonanno families and the C-16 squad investigating the Gambino and Lucchese families.
Thank you Wiseguy for breaking this down. I was trying to put together the FBI cut in staffing after 911 but you beat me to the punch. You're brain works at internet speed. Grazie!
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Feels like the dropoff in manpower investigating these guys is more than made up for by the technology at their disposal. Murder is *really* hard to get away with in 2021. And that’s not just a Cosa Nostra thing, that’s across the board. There are cameras everywhere. Cell phone towers. They got microphones the size of a grain of rice that pick up guys speaking quietly to each other in a noisy room. Even if the mob was as active and effective today as they were in 1976, the Feds could probably use half the agents they did back then. The technology at their disposal is a beast.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:18 pm
The reason the FBI doesn't know as much about the mob today as they did in the old days is that they don't need to. The mob isn't nearly what it was then.
As this thread has already shown, there is really no evidence to suggest the feds know less about the families they still have under surveillance and prosecute. But it it is true they don't need the same level of manpower they did decades ago. However, some in law enforcement have voiced the concern the resources have gotten too low. And not just for the LCN in New York but for organized crime in general.
All roads lead to New York.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Moscone65 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:32 pm
Im a fanboy because I ask for proof of something? Your a special kind of stupid there buddy. Also, the article says one squad for CHICAGO, not NY, but nice try.
They used to have a squad for every family. Now it's just a few nationwide. The mob is hardly a threat anymore and that's why the FBI doesn't care about them as much. So, sorry to ruin your lifelong dream, but the mob you wish you could join doesn't exist anymore. :lol:
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:19 am
Moscone65 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:32 pm
They used to have a squad for every family. Now it's just a few nationwide. The mob is hardly a threat anymore and that's why the FBI doesn't care about them as much. So, sorry to ruin your lifelong dream, but the mob you wish you could join doesn't exist anymore. :lol:
You still can’t answer the question, and you instead take personal jabs, pathetic. As for me “wishing to join the mob”, I live in an Italian part of Toronto which has tons of mafia activity and shootings. Sometimes I visit certain cafes and I know people who are involved but as a grown man I am smart enough to know that I have better opportunities. I do not want to be constantly worried about getting busted by police or shot, which still happens up here.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Moscone65 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:25 am

You still can’t answer the question, and you instead take personal jabs, pathetic. As for me “wishing to join the mob”, I live in an Italian part of Toronto which has tons of mafia activity and shootings. Sometimes I visit certain cafes and I know people who are involved but as a grown man I am smart enough to know that I have better opportunities. I do not want to be constantly worried about getting busted by police or shot, which still happens up here.
All I said was that the FBI doesn't investigate the mob the way they used to because the mob just isn't as big here in the states as they used to be. Dude we've got mobs of extremist idiots storming the capitol now. This country has way bigger problems than the Italian mob.

Interesting about Canada. Have been reading a lot about the mob activity there. I've always believed the mob does its best leaching on to stable countries. Canada still has stability. The U.S. doesn't. It's chaos. In chaotic places, it's the gangs that rule. Hard to get organized rackets going.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:38 am
Moscone65 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:25 am

All I said was that the FBI doesn't investigate the mob the way they used to because the mob just isn't as big here in the states as they used to be. Dude we've got mobs of extremist idiots storming the capitol now. This country has way bigger problems than the Italian mob.

Interesting about Canada. Have been reading a lot about the mob activity there. I've always believed the mob does its best leaching on to stable countries. Canada still has stability. The U.S. doesn't. It's chaos. In chaotic places, it's the gangs that rule. Hard to get organized rackets going.
I think it’s because the lax laws and that in general the Italians here are more recent immigrants compared to some of the Americans. That’s why our groups here are more italianized than American/Canadianised