Pete DiFronzo dead from Corona Virus

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: Pete DiFronzo dead from Corona Virus

Post by Snakes »

Pete wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:50 am
Snakes wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:19 am
PolackTony wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:04 am
Snakes wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:18 am
Wiseguy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:22 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:18 pm Wow. Thanks for the post.
End of an era with both brothers gone.

Anything left of the outfit? Seems like NE, remenants.
This is the latest I've seen listed. Ages may be a bit older now. Some of these guys can't be far behind.

Members:

1. Joseph Andriacchi / 87
2. Bruno Caruso / 74
3. Frank Caruso / 73
4. Salvatore Cataudella / 66
5. Salvatore DeLaurentis / 80
6. Rudolph Fratto / 76
7. Nicholas Guzzino / 77
8. James Inendino / 78
9. Rocco Lombardo / 83
10. Michael Magnafichi / 57
11. James Marcello / 77
12. John Matassa, Jr./68
13. Michael Sarno / 61
14. Michael Spano, Sr./78
15. Michael Talarico / 67
16. Albert Vena / 71

Possible Members:

1. Robert Bellavia / 79
2. Nicholas Cataudella / 58
3. Gary Gagliano / 76
4. Michael Marcello / 63
5. Lawrence Pettit / 90
6. Jerome Scalise / 82
Even then, the sources for some of these guys being made are tenuous at best (Talarico, Rocco Lombardo). Probably only a dozen guys right now that we can point to as definitely being made and out of prison.
I'd think Spina, Panozzo Sr, and Carparelli warrant being under "possible members".
Well, this is Wiseguy's list. I try to keep track of possible or suspected members in the Charts section. The problem is that the sourcing for this stuff is so poor. Compared to New York, where indictments almost always list the status of the defendants within the LCN structure, Chicago rarely ever does and the only time they did was when they had a witness who was able to testify to such. It's more of a dearth of cooperating witnesses than anything. I'm trying to collect files but as most of you know the intel on "live" members is almost redacted. After that, I can only go on what little shreds I pick up here or there or on less reliable sources such as the Chicago Crime Commission or Scott B's website, neither of which I put as much faith in as a federal document. We can make presumptions about guys like Sal Cataudella based on his position within the organization but Scott is the only source for that intel. It makes it tough. I'm thinking of splitting it up into buckets based on "confidence" but I'm not really sure.
Scott is not the only source for intel about Sal cataudella position. There was that federal document that came out about sarno and cataudella being the top 2 guys in the mob. The Mutt and Jeff article.
http://www.fivefamiliesnyc.com/2011/03/ ... t.html?m=1
You're right, I forgot about that. I guess a better example would be someone like Al Mitria or Tony Dote, whom he suspects of heading E.P.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:52 am

This is the latest I've seen listed. Ages may be a bit older now. Some of these guys can't be far behind.

Members:

2. Bruno Caruso / 74
3. Frank Caruso / 73
6. Rudolph Fratto / 76
7. Nicholas Guzzino / 77
8. James Inendino / 78
9. Rocco Lombardo / 83
11. James Marcello / 77
12. John Matassa, Jr./68
13. Michael Sarno / 61
16. Albert Vena / 71

Possible Members:

1. Robert Bellavia / 79
3. Gary Gagliano / 76
4. Michael Marcello / 63
5. Lawrence Pettit / 90
6. Jerome Scalise / 82
Even then, the sources for some of these guys being made are tenuous at best (Talarico, Rocco Lombardo). Probably only a dozen guys right now that we can point to as definitely being made and out of prison.
I'd think Spina, Panozzo Sr, and Carparelli warrant being under "possible members".
Well, this is Wiseguy's list. I try to keep track of possible or suspected members in the Charts section. The problem is that the sourcing for this stuff is so poor. Compared to New York, where indictments almost always list the status of the defendants within the LCN structure, Chicago rarely ever does and the only time they did was when they had a witness who was able to testify to such. It's more of a dearth of cooperating witnesses than anything. I'm trying to collect files but as most of you know the intel on "live" members is almost redacted. After that, I can only go on what little shreds I pick up here or there or on less reliable sources such as the Chicago Crime Commission or Scott B's website, neither of which I put as much faith in as a federal document. We can make presumptions about guys like Sal Cataudella based on his position within the organization but Scott is the only source for that intel. It makes it tough. I'm thinking of splitting it up into buckets based on "confidence" but I'm not really sure.
It's actually not my list. Though I do agree some guys, like Rocco Lombardo and Salvatore Cataudella, should be under "possible members."

I haven't seen Spina, Panozzo Sr, or Carparelli identified as members by any official source. Just posters theorizing they could be, for whatever reason.
As posted above Sal cataudella was identified by the fbi as one of the top 2 guys in the mob in 2007. That’s pretty good for saying he’s a member
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:52 am

Members:

2. Bruno Caruso / 74
3. Frank Caruso / 73
6. Rudolph Fratto / 76
7. Nicholas Guzzino / 77
8. James Inendino / 78
9. Rocco Lombardo / 83
11. James Marcello / 77
12. John Matassa, Jr./68
13. Michael Sarno / 61
16. Albert Vena / 71

Possible Members:

1. Robert Bellavia / 79
3. Gary Gagliano / 76
4. Michael Marcello / 63
5. Lawrence Pettit / 90
6. Jerome Scalise / 82
It's actually not my list. Though I do agree some guys, like Rocco Lombardo and Salvatore Cataudella, should be under "possible members."

I haven't seen Spina, Panozzo Sr, or Carparelli identified as members by any official source. Just posters theorizing they could be, for whatever reason.
Wasn’t this list from little al originally if I remember correctly?
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Snakes wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:54 am
Pete wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:50 am

Members:

2. Bruno Caruso / 74
3. Frank Caruso / 73
6. Rudolph Fratto / 76
7. Nicholas Guzzino / 77
8. James Inendino / 78
9. Rocco Lombardo / 83
11. James Marcello / 77
12. John Matassa, Jr./68
13. Michael Sarno / 61
16. Albert Vena / 71

Possible Members:

1. Robert Bellavia / 79
3. Gary Gagliano / 76
4. Michael Marcello / 63
5. Lawrence Pettit / 90
6. Jerome Scalise / 82
Scott is not the only source for intel about Sal cataudella position. There was that federal document that came out about sarno and cataudella being the top 2 guys in the mob. The Mutt and Jeff article.
http://www.fivefamiliesnyc.com/2011/03/ ... t.html?m=1
You're right, I forgot about that. I guess a better example would be someone like Al Mitria or Tony Dote, whom he suspects of heading E.P.
Agreed with that or guys like wiseguy said panozzo carparelli. I think carparelli was identified as Scott as a made guy but if you read the wiretaps it’s obvious he didn’t really know the heavyweights he talked about like the difronzos, Delaurentis etc. I would guess he’s not but as you stated this is all guessing with not much to support anything
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pete wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:57 amWasn’t this list from little al originally if I remember correctly?
No, though you know how it is with lists being partially compiled with info from previous lists. A lot of info did come from Little Al but that was a while ago.

An indirect way to make more sense of the above list is to recall that 28 members were cited by the feds in 2005. Then subtract the ones who have died since then.

At least these guys...

Albert Tocco (2005)
Ernest Rocco Infelise (2005)
Anthony Zizzo (2006)
James Vincent Cozzo (2007)
Alfonso Tornabene (2009)
Frank Calabrese, Sr. (2012)
Louis Marino (2017)
John DiFronzo (2018)
Joseph Lombardo (2019)
Marco D'Amico (2020)
Peter DiFronzo (2020)

And maybe these if any were known members...?

Dominick Palermo (2005)
Michael Castaldo (2005)
Bernard Morgano (2010)
Charles DiCaro (2011)
James Cerone (2012)
Joseph Grieco (2013)
All roads lead to New York.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:11 pm
Pete wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:57 amWasn’t this list from little al originally if I remember correctly?
No, though you know how it is with lists being partially compiled with info from previous lists. A lot of info did come from Little Al but that was a while ago.

An indirect way to make more sense of the above list is to recall that 28 members were cited by the feds in 2005. Then subtract the ones who have died since then.

At least these guys...

Albert Tocco (2005)
Anthony Zizzo (2006)
Alfonso Tornabene (2009)
Louis Marino (2017)
John DiFronzo (2018)
Joseph Lombardo (2019)
Marco D'Amico (2020)
Peter DiFronzo (2020)

Dominick Palermo (2005)
Michael Castaldo (2005)
Bernard Morgano (2010)
Charles DiCaro (2011)
James Cerone (2012)
Joseph Grieco (2013)
Tootsie Palermo was definitely a member he was capo Of chicago heights identified by Nick calabrese. The other ones are more iffy. The feds just said there were 28 guys they didn’t actually release the names tho correct? People just started putting in names that made sense? That’s how I remember it that was many years ago I could be incorrect
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Pete wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:15 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:11 pm

At least these guys...

Albert Tocco (2005)
Anthony Zizzo (2006)
Alfonso Tornabene (2009)
Louis Marino (2017)
John DiFronzo (2018)
Joseph Lombardo (2019)
Marco D'Amico (2020)
Peter DiFronzo (2020)

Dominick Palermo (2005)
Michael Castaldo (2005)
Bernard Morgano (2010)
Charles DiCaro (2011)
James Cerone (2012)
Joseph Grieco (2013)
Tootsie Palermo was definitely a member he was capo Of chicago heights identified by Nick calabrese. The other ones are more iffy. The feds just said there were 28 guys they didn’t actually release the names tho correct? People just started putting in names that made sense? That’s how I remember it that was many years ago I could be incorrect
You're correct, most of the names were educated guesses. Even the list of guys Little Al made had some mistakes (dead guys, non-made guys like LaMantia). Believe me, I'm doing as much digging as I can to figure it out. I will break the charts section down with some links and footnotes to source the member lists. I also shared some accurate lists at the beginning of the massive "dumping ground" thread but have fun digging through all 2,000 pages.
Last edited by Snakes on Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pete wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:15 pmTootsie Palermo was definitely a member he was capo Of chicago heights identified by Nick calabrese. The other ones are more iffy. The feds just said there were 28 guys they didn’t actually release the names tho correct? People just started putting in names that made sense? That’s how I remember it that was many years ago I could be incorrect
You're correct, they didn't specify the 28 members. People did what we are doing now. Trying to figure out the names on our own and coming up with guys who were definitely made and others where it's not completely clear.
All roads lead to New York.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I did a quick reorg of the charts section:
Senior Members (All are confirmed as "made" or due to seniority and available information can reasonably be identified as such):
Joseph "The Builder" Andriacchi/87
Frank "Toots" Caruso/74 - 26th Street
Salvatore "Solly D" DeLaurentis/81
Rudolph "Rudy" Fratto/76 - Elmwood Park
James "Jimmy I" Inendino/77 - Cicero
Albert "Albie" Vena/71 - Grand Avenue

Additional members who are confirmed as "made" or can be reasonably be identified as such based on available information:
Bruno Caruso/74
Salvatore "Sally C" Cataudella/66
Nicholas "Jumbo" Guzzino/77*
Michael "Mags" Magnafichi/56*
John "Pudgy" Matassa, Jr./68*
Michael "Big Mike" Spano, Sr./78

Individuals who are not confirmed as made but have been cited as such by "non-official" sources (CCC, Scott B, anecdotal evidence, etc.):
Robert "Bobby the Boxer" Abbinanti/64
Robert "Gabeet" Bellavia/79
Leo Caruso/76
Nicholas "Nicky C" Cataudella/58
Joseph "Joe Kong" Cullotta/72
Anthony Dote/67
Gary Gagliano/75
Rocco Lombardo/78
Alphonse Mitria/70
Robert "Pinocchio" Panozzo/59 (IP 6/16/2026)
Lawrence "Larry" Pettit/91
Christopher Spina/67
Michael "Neff" Talarico/66

Imprisoned Members:
James "Jimmy the Man" Marcello/75 (IP/L)
Michael "Big Mike" Sarno/61 (10/25/2032)

Members Who Have Died Since 1998 (*=suspected; remaining names are confirmed "made" or reasonably believed to be "made"):
Donald Angelini (2000)
Carmine Bastone (2002)
Salvatore Bastone (1998)
Frank "The Horse" Buccieri (2004)
Marshall "Johnny Marshall" Caifano (2003)
Anthony Calabrese (2018)*
Michael Castaldo (2005)
Anthony Centracchio (2001)
James Cerone (2012)*
Anthony "Hatch" Chiaramonti (2001) (Murdered)
Dominic "Large" Cortina (1999)
James Vincent "Jimmy" Cozzo (2007)*
Marco "The Mover" D'Amico (2020)*
Charles "Specs" DiCaro (2011)*
James "Poker" DiForti (2000)
John "Johnny Bananas" DiFronzo (2018)
Peter DiFronzo (2020)
Joseph Grieco (2013)
Ernest Rocco "Rocky" Infelise (2005)
Angelo "The Bull/Hook" LaPietra (1999)
Joseph "Joey the Clown/Lumbo" Lombardo (2019)
Louis Marino (2017)
William "Willie" Messino (2002)
John "Johnny Apes" Monteleone (2001)
Bernard "Snooky" Morgano (2010)
Romeo "Romie" Nappi (2001) (identified as made by Joe Fosco but little contemporary sources exist)
Dominick Palermo (2005)
Alfred Pilotto (1999)
Philip Ponto (1999)
Albert Rossetti
Fred Roti (1999)
Donald "Sponge" Scalise (2013)*
Vito Spillone (2015)
Albert Tocco (2005)
Alfonso "Pizza Al" Tornabene (2009)
Anthony Zizzo (2006) (Disappeared/Presumed Murdered)

Members Who Have Flipped (*=suspected member):
Anthony Amatore (CI/Deceased)*
Victor Arrigo/Soldier (Deceased)
Dominic "Butch" Blasi (CI/Deceased)
Nicholas Calabrese/Soldier
Louis "Lew Farrell" Fratto (CI/Deceased)
Rocco Pranno (CI/Deceased)
Gerald Scarpelli/Soldier (Deceased)

Notable Associates Who Have Flipped:
Ken "Tokyo Joe" Eto (Deceased)
William "B.J." Jahoda (Deceased)
Leonard "Lenny" Patrick (Deceased)
Ralph Pierce (CI/Deceased)
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:32 pm I did a quick reorg of the charts section:
Senior Members (All are confirmed as "made" or due to seniority and available information can reasonably be identified as such):

Additional members who are confirmed as "made" or can be reasonably be identified as such based on available information:
Bruno Caruso/74

Individuals who are not confirmed as made but have been cited as such by "non-official" sources (CCC, Scott B, anecdotal evidence, etc.):
Leo Caruso/76
Anthony Dote/67
Gary Gagliano/75
Rocco Lombardo/78
Alphonse Mitria/70
Christopher Spina/67

Imprisoned Members:

Members Who Have Died Since 1998 (*=suspected; remaining names are confirmed "made" or reasonably believed to be "made"):
Donald Angelini (2000)
Carmine Bastone (2002)
Salvatore Bastone (1998)
Michael Castaldo (2005)
James Cerone (2012)*
Peter DiFronzo (2020)
Joseph Grieco (2013)
Louis Marino (2017)
Romeo "Romie" Nappi (2001) (identified as made by Joe Fosco but little contemporary sources exist)
Dominick Palermo (2005)
Alfred Pilotto (1999)
Philip Ponto (1999)
Albert Rossetti
Fred Roti (1999)
Vito Spillone (2015)
Albert Tocco (2005)

I think the tiers of confidence approach here is defensible and useful so long as it's clear that it's an informed assumption without confirmed documentary evidence.

Joe Kong should be Calato, no? And is he still alive? I recall last time that I looked into him that there was more than one Joe Calato and that one of them may have died from cancer or something in the last several years but I may be misremembering.

Same thing with Gary Gags, I recall someone telling me before that he had died (though maybe I'm confusing him with Angelo Cassano right now). I tried to confirm that also and I did find some mention in a funeral home or something of a Gary Gagliano who died, but I don't know that it's the same guy. Don't have any notes handy right now so I could be forgetting something.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Snakes wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:32 pm I did a quick reorg of the charts section:

Bruno Caruso/74

Leo Caruso/76
Anthony Dote/67
Gary Gagliano/75
Rocco Lombardo/78
Alphonse Mitria/70
Christopher Spina/67

Imprisoned Members:

Donald Angelini (2000)
Carmine Bastone (2002)
Salvatore Bastone (1998)
Michael Castaldo (2005)
James Cerone (2012)*
Peter DiFronzo (2020)
Joseph Grieco (2013)
Louis Marino (2017)
Dominick Palermo (2005)
Alfred Pilotto (1999)
Philip Ponto (1999)
Albert Rossetti
Fred Roti (1999)
Vito Spillone (2015)
Albert Tocco (2005)

I thought joe Kong died a few years back?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Pete wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:54 pm

Bruno Caruso/74

Leo Caruso/76
Anthony Dote/67
Gary Gagliano/75
Rocco Lombardo/78
Alphonse Mitria/70
Christopher Spina/67

Imprisoned Members:

Donald Angelini (2000)
Carmine Bastone (2002)
Salvatore Bastone (1998)
Michael Castaldo (2005)
James Cerone (2012)*
Peter DiFronzo (2020)
Joseph Grieco (2013)
Louis Marino (2017)
Dominick Palermo (2005)
Alfred Pilotto (1999)
Philip Ponto (1999)
Albert Rossetti
Fred Roti (1999)
Vito Spillone (2015)
Albert Tocco (2005)

I thought joe Kong died a few years back?
That's what I thought too. IIRC there was a Joe Calato and then a Joey Calato Jr? If Joe Kong was Calato Sr then I think he died but I don't have any sources handy at the moment.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

There is a Joe Calato and a Joe Cullotta. Calato was busted with DiVarco back in the mid-80s but was in his mid-thirties. Meanwhile, the Grand Avenue guy everyone is thinking about may have been the same guy but with his last name misspelled as "Cullotta" appeared to be much older in his CCC photo even 15 years ago. They do have separate birthdates, but I know some people presumed they were the same person. This was the guy sick with cancer but I'm not sure if he is dead or not. To confuse things even further, Frank's brother is also named Joe but I believe he is/was a legit barber. Again, I have heard conflicting evidence.

At any rate, "Joe Kong," regardless of surname, is who should be here as a possible member.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

I dont believe Gary Gags is dead. He was mentioned by Mags in one of the Fosco interviews a four or five years ago as being someone he was concerned about offending by giving the interview. My guess is he should be considered a likely member. I also find it very hard to fathom that Spina is not also a member.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:08 pm There is a Joe Calato and a Joe Cullotta. Calato was busted with DiVarco back in the mid-80s but was in his mid-thirties. Meanwhile, the Grand Avenue guy everyone is thinking about may have been the same guy but with his last name misspelled as "Cullotta" appeared to be much older in his CCC photo even 15 years ago. They do have separate birthdates, but I know some people presumed they were the same person. This was the guy sick with cancer but I'm not sure if he is dead or not. To confuse things even further, Frank's brother is also named Joe but I believe he is/was a legit barber. Again, I have heard conflicting evidence.

At any rate, "Joe Kong," regardless of surname, is who should be here as a possible member.
Yes there are/were of course a number of Joe Calatos and Joe Cullottas in Chicago so it's still a bit unclear to me who was who. The Joe Calato busted with Divarco was born ~1950. Then there's Frank's brother Joe Cullotta, a barber who I've heard from different guys over time was either 100% legit or absolutely connected. Then there was another Joe Cullotta who was born ~1947 who was busted in 1966 for sticking up a corner store near Diversey and Harlem. I think this is the same Joe Cullotta who was in the papers in 1980 for a stand off with the police with a shotgun.

It seems possible that both of these Joe Cullottas were the same person. Frank Cullotta's dad was also a Joseph Cullotta, born in Chicago in 1908 to parents most likely from Cefalu. This Joe Cullotta Sr then died in 1947 in a car chase in Oak Park. The 1940 census shows only Frank and his sister Jean as Joe Sr's kids. Therefore Frank's brother Joe likely was born sometime between 1940 and Joe Sr's death in 1947, consistent with the 1946/1947 birth of the Joe Cullotta from the above paragraph.