Andrew Scoppa

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Andrew Scoppa

Post by Etna »

Laurentian wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:06 am
Etna wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:37 am I'm really wondering if Montreal was very structured like a traditional family and most aren't made - and simply followed their own ranks? Or was it kind of a loose confederation of criminals?
No it is not structured like a typical LCN family is. It is rather, like you say, a loose confederation of criminals where the Italian trait has been mostly dominant and influent over the other groups for several decades.
So I guess I see a few things that raise questions.

- French Canadian and Italian criminals and others (i.e. Joe DiMaulo, Reynauld Desjardens & Joe Bravo) all had a similar ranking.
- I recall Joey Bravo claimed he and Reynauld were "made" by Vito. If that's true, I almost wonder if Vito tossed the Italian only membership and felt like he'd start his own "hybrid" organization that wasn't officially cosa nostra even though he was a member himself?
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

Etna wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:37 am I'm really wondering if Montreal was very structured like a traditional family and most aren't made - and simply followed their own ranks? Or was it kind of a loose confederation of criminals?
No it is not structured like a typical LCN family is. It is rather, like you say, a loose confederation of criminals where the Italian trait has been mostly dominant and influent over the other groups for several decades.
i don't think so, basically it was structured as a cosa nostra big 'decina' (bonanno family in this case) with about 20 made members, the difference is that it had more authonomy because far and not based in the bronx or queens
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Etna wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:04 am

- French Canadian and Italian criminals and others (i.e. Joe DiMaulo, Reynauld Desjardens & Joe Bravo) all had a similar ranking.
- I recall Joey Bravo claimed he and Reynauld were "made" by Vito. If that's true, I almost wonder if Vito tossed the Italian only membership and felt like he'd start his own "hybrid" organization that wasn't officially cosa nostra even though he was a member himself?
Di Maulo was already a made man in the Bonanno Crime Family just like Vito, Nicolo or others, so he had definitely a rank in the Montreal Mafia (some think he was underboss)
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

So it looks like none of us are in consensus here.

I get DiMaulo and others had superiority. But I think when we see Scoppa as a Rizzuto loyalist, the Sicilian-Calabrian rivalry continues to lose credibility from past discussions.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

i'm starting to think that the bonanno's wanted di maulo ads capodecina so they moved war to the rizzuto's
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Laurentian »

Raynald Desjardins, while he was key player into Montreal underworld and brother-in-law of Jos Di Maulo, was not a "made" man in the sense we understand it in the US.

You must not read the Montreal Mafia in the same way you read a US borgata.
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

Laurentian wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:59 pm

Raynald Desjardins, while he was key player into Montreal underworld and brother-in-law of Jos Di Maulo, was not a "made" man in the sense we understand it in the US.

I don't read it that way, which is why I'm asking. If Joey Bravo said he and Reynauld were made, I think Vito tried to formulate his own organization with his own style.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

I thought joe di maule was a made guy under controni. I'm almost positive he was made probaly by galante in 77
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

Yes, Joe was made. What I'm saying is, other non-italian members seemed to have equally powerful roles as other italians in the Rizzuto organization.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Wasnt controni the actual capo from the 70tys till he died in the 90tys
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Probaly
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Nick rizzuto or vito ever rose to capo position in the bonanno family I think. After controni died that guy george s was capo of the crew thou living in the bronx. He gets killed then it was vacant people just assume vito just ran it
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

There hands on approach selling drugs destroyed that crew that was around for 50yrs. Vito should have moved them away from it after the 90tys. Went the way the genovese run shit
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Even Massimo in vitale had a great run from 1990 till 2003. They never got there hands into drugs other then weed.
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Laurentian »

Etna wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:30 pm
Laurentian wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:59 pm

I don't read it that way, which is why I'm asking. If Joey Bravo said he and Reynauld were made, I think Vito tried to formulate his own organization with his own style.
First Joe Bravo could say anything he wanted to people in Bagheria because the latter were in position to check if his allegations were true or not. Joe Bravo used to be closed to the Rizzutos, but he soon became an embarrassement to them.

One thing is for sure is that the Rizzuto organization, a perfect exemple of a Sicilian cosca in North America whose rules of admission into in are stricly to members who have blood relationships or inter-marriage with its members, would never made an outsider, and moreover an individual like Raynald Desjardins, whose racine a purely French-Canadian. To believe otherwise is full of improbabilities.