Wiseguys of Pugliese Ancestry

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Wiseguys of Pugliese Ancestry

Post by Antiliar »

Jim Colosimo hailed from Colosimi, which is about a two-hour drive from Casabona, so I don't see a biological connection, only a provincial connection. I think it's more likely that some reporter made a claim about a relationship, and the claim was repeated so often it became accepted as true.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:22 pm Jim Colosimo hailed from Colosimi, which is about a two-hour drive from Casabona, so I don't see a biological connection, only a provincial connection. I think it's more likely that some reporter made a claim about a relationship, and the claim was repeated so often it became accepted as true.
I don't have the source at hand, but I recall reading the claim at some point that Torrio's connection to Colosimo was via a link between Salvatore Caputo and Victoria Moresco. Certainly the story that Torrio was either a cousin or nephew of either Colosimo or Victoria has been repeated ad nauseum with no supporting evidence. Its certainly possible that there was some social connection between Victoria and Caputo (her family did live in New York before moving to Chicago, perhaps they had connections to Calabrese social networks there), but this is just speculation on my part.

I note that Victoria herself seems to have also been from Colosimi, Cosenza.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Moscone65 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:10 am [...] the cassano brothers in Chicago have Barese ancestry as well [.]
Indeed they do, most if not all of the Cassano siblings appear to have actually been born there.

Their parents were Nicola Cassano and Emma Giardino of Bari, Bari. The family settled in Melrose Park in 1966 and Nicola died shortly thereafter in 1969. So the Cassanos are as Barese as it gets.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:39 pm
Antiliar wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:22 pm Jim Colosimo hailed from Colosimi, which is about a two-hour drive from Casabona, so I don't see a biological connection, only a provincial connection. I think it's more likely that some reporter made a claim about a relationship, and the claim was repeated so often it became accepted as true.
I don't have the source at hand, but I recall reading the claim at some point that Torrio's connection to Colosimo was via a link between Salvatore Caputo and Victoria Moresco. Certainly the story that Torrio was either a cousin or nephew of either Colosimo or Victoria has been repeated ad nauseum with no supporting evidence. Its certainly possible that there was some social connection between Victoria and Caputo (her family did live in New York before moving to Chicago, perhaps they had connections to Calabrese social networks there), but this is just speculation on my part.

I note that Victoria herself seems to have also been from Colosimi, Cosenza.
Yes, I also agree that we dont have any hard evidence regarding Torrios alleged blood relations to the Colosimos or Morescos. One "legend" says that before he got married with Victoria, Colosimo only acted as precinct captain and collector for Kenna and Coughlin but when he met Victoria, Colosimo allegedly also got involved in the prostitution racket and gambling. Victoria also had two brothers involved in the rackets, Joseph and John Moresco. There was also one Joseph D'Andrea who was killed in 1914 and was allegedly also connected to the Colosimos.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Wasn’t mike biancofiore Barese as well?
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Also frank demonte and associate frank derosa
Bruno187
Straightened out

Post by Bruno187 »

Nardino "Lenny" Collotti who was with the Rudaj crew was born in Foggia.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

scagghiuni wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:17 pm johnny torrio maybe was born in lucania but his parents were from the province of bari, he just was born over there, as vito genovese was born near naples but his parents were from sicily
Do you know where in Sicily? Wow, I've never heard this before and that changes my entire idea of his background.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Moscone65 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:25 am Wasn’t mike biancofiore Barese as well?
Thanks for the reminder. Yes, Mike Biancofiore's father Leonardo Biancofiore was from Noicattaro, Bari while his mother was born in Chicago to Napuletano parents.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Moscone65 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:32 am Also frank demonte and associate frank derosa
Where did you get that either was Barese?

I have Frank DeMonte with all four grandparents from Palermo. Interestingly, his mother was DiVarco, though I haven't been able to connect her to Caesar DiVarco.

Frank DeRosa I'm not 100% sure but I believe that he's the son of Slicker Sam DeRosa of Melrose Park. Slicker Sam's parents were from Cimmina, and Frank's mother I think was Johanna Pusateri, also of Sicilian background (potentially with some connection to the Carusos, needs to be confirmed).
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

B. wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:44 pm
scagghiuni wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:17 pm johnny torrio maybe was born in lucania but his parents were from the province of bari, he just was born over there, as vito genovese was born near naples but his parents were from sicily
Do you know where in Sicily? Wow, I've never heard this before and that changes my entire idea of his background.
castelvetrano, province of trapani
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:12 pm I have Frank DeMonte with all four grandparents from Palermo. Interestingly, his mother was DiVarco, though I haven't been able to connect her to Caesar DiVarco.

Frank DeRosa I'm not 100% sure but I believe that he's the son of Slicker Sam DeRosa of Melrose Park. Slicker Sam's parents were from Cimmina, and Frank's mother I think was Johanna Pusateri, also of Sicilian background (potentially with some connection to the Carusos, needs to be confirmed).
Thats some very good info, thanks. Btw i thought Slicker Sam was northwest...or maybe im mixing some stuff...
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:21 am
PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:12 pm I have Frank DeMonte with all four grandparents from Palermo. Interestingly, his mother was DiVarco, though I haven't been able to connect her to Caesar DiVarco.

Thats some very good info, thanks. Btw i thought Slicker Sam was northwest...or maybe im mixing some stuff...
After rechecking a few more sources, Frank DeRosa is not the son of Slicker Sam. Frank's father was very likely a Sam De Rosa (and Slicker Sam's family was originally De Rosa but dropped the "De"), but this was a Salvatore De Rosa whose parents were from Cosenza, Calabria.

With Slicker Sam, my assumption is that he was under Battaglia, as he was seen to associate with Nicoletti and Frabotta. But then he also was partnered with Rocky Potenza, so who knows. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Rosa was under EP though?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:46 am

After rechecking a few more sources, Frank DeRosa is not the son of Slicker Sam. Frank's father was very likely a Sam De Rosa (and Slicker Sam's family was originally De Rosa but dropped the "De"), but this was a Salvatore De Rosa whose parents were from Cosenza, Calabria.

With Slicker Sam, my assumption is that he was under Battaglia, as he was seen to associate with Nicoletti and Frabotta. But then he also was partnered with Rocky Potenza, so who knows. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Rosa was under EP though?
I think he was with Potenza
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:58 am
PolackTony wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:46 am

I think he was with Potenza
Yeah it's certainly a big possibility. Given Slicker Sam's closeness with Giancana was well, it perhaps is another clue that Potenza had some sort of direct status vis a vis Mooney, and that afterwards he likely was placed under the Northside.