General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:20 pm ....in addition to my previous post, i can also see that Joe Vinci lived at 4945 S Paulina St, while the Buccieri family lived at 809 S Paulina St which is another proof regarding the theory about Buccieri's early South connections. Similar to Belcastro, Buccieri was always considered a west side guy but the reality was that he also had interests on the south side. Alex bringing Buccieri in his own territory during the mid 60s wasnt a coincidence at all, since Alex obviously knew the real history
Only thing to keep in mind here is that 809 S Paulina is at Polk, right in the middle of the Taylor St Patch on the Westside (this block was long since demolished for the UIC medical center complex).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:23 pm
Villain wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:20 pm ....in addition to my previous post, i can also see that Joe Vinci lived at 4945 S Paulina St, while the Buccieri family lived at 809 S Paulina St which is another proof regarding the theory about Buccieri's early South connections. Similar to Belcastro, Buccieri was always considered a west side guy but the reality was that he also had interests on the south side. Alex bringing Buccieri in his own territory during the mid 60s wasnt a coincidence at all, since Alex obviously knew the real history
Only thing to keep in mind here is that 809 S Paulina is at Polk, right in the middle of the Taylor St Patch on the Westside (this block was long since demolished for the UIC medical center complex).
Something interesting to note here though also is that even by 1942, Belcastro was still living on the Southside at 77th and Marshfield.

I hadn't thought of Belcastro above, but of course he was also Calabrese. So as with the Heights, we seem to have a core group of Calabresi in the Chinatown area early on, who had complex alliances and conflicts with both the Torrio/Capone organization and the Sicilian factions.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:37 pm
Something interesting to note here though also is that even by 1942, Belcastro was still living on the Southside at 77th and Marshfield.

I hadn't thought of Belcastro above, but of course he was also Calabrese. So as with the Heights, we seem to have a core group of Calabresi in the Chinatown area early on, who had complex alliances and conflicts with both the Torrio/Capone organization and the Sicilian factions.
Thanks and yeah but he also lived at 1011 Polk St and also owned a saloon at 324 S Halsted St. One of Belcastros associates Tony Respiri also lived at 324 S Halsted and another at S California Av.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Villain wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:01 am
PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:37 pm

Thanks and yeah but he also lived at 1011 Polk St and also owned a saloon at 324 S Halsted St. One of Belcastros associates Tony Respiri also lived at 324 S Halsted and another at S California Av.
He also owned a company at 725 Roosevelt Rd
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:37 pm I hadn't thought of Belcastro above, but of course he was also Calabrese. So as with the Heights, we seem to have a core group of Calabresi in the Chinatown area early on, who had complex alliances and conflicts with both the Torrio/Capone organization and the Sicilian factions.
We should make a thorough research on that since we also have some old time mainlander groups on the west side....
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

One small chat between Rocco Fischetti and Jack Cerone regarding Little Augie Pisano and New York....

And another chat between east coast mobsters Angelo DeCarlo and Tony Russo...

Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:52 pm
cavita wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:54 pm Any idea where in Italy this Vinci family was from?
Simbario, Vibo Valentia. Vincenzo, Salvatore, and Michele Vinci were all born in Simbario, while Joseph and Charles were younger and born in Chicago. Their parents were Francesco Vinci and Mariangiola Farina.

This seems pretty important given their area of operation, as Bruno Roti was of course also from Simbario.

One thing to note is that decades later the Vincis owned land way up north at Clark and Ridge. Even if they were Calabresi, if the Vincis had old time connections to the Sicilians then perhaps they also had some close connects to the Northside crew.
It might be worth it to create a Google map of Chicago members and important Italian associates based on their town of origin, each with a different color. The cities and towns could be:

Vibo Valentia
Simbario
Termini Imerese
Cimmina
etc., whichever town you think is significant. So, for example, Bruno Roti was from Simbario and let's say purple is for Simbario. Let's say his residence was 123 Chinatown Street, so we would put a purple pin (or another object) at that address, and maybe also his businesses if they were in the area.

What do we do about those with ancestry in different places? Tony Spilotro was half mainland Italian and half Sicilian, so maybe in his case we stick with the paternal line.

Just an idea.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

I would also like to ask regarding few names, or if all of these guys were Sicilians or not...all of the following names are from the 1920s-1930s era and i also think that all belonged to the old Mafia and some later joined the Capone mob...

Sam and Charles Tornabene (Cicero and Harvey Ill)

Nunzio Russo (W Chicago Av)

Fred and Joseph Petitti (Grand Av)

Joseph Almanza (Cicero)

Cuono, John and Sam Nuzzo (Taylor St and Melrose Park)

Henry and Joseph Vazzano (Local 2 and W Grand)

James Markese (Wheeling Ill)

Joseph and William Dote (Rush St and Grand)

Anthony Jerfita (Elmwood Park and Grand)

John Rinella (Melrose Park)

Nick Maggio (Melrose Park)

Louis Schiavone (Local 110)

Ernest and Fred Mazzone (Taylor St/Melrose Park)
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Anyone has any additional info on this guy?....

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:54 am
PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:52 pm
cavita wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:54 pm Any idea where in Italy this Vinci family was from?
Simbario, Vibo Valentia. Vincenzo, Salvatore, and Michele Vinci were all born in Simbario, while Joseph and Charles were younger and born in Chicago. Their parents were Francesco Vinci and Mariangiola Farina.

This seems pretty important given their area of operation, as Bruno Roti was of course also from Simbario.

One thing to note is that decades later the Vincis owned land way up north at Clark and Ridge. Even if they were Calabresi, if the Vincis had old time connections to the Sicilians then perhaps they also had some close connects to the Northside crew.
It might be worth it to create a Google map of Chicago members and important Italian associates based on their town of origin, each with a different color. The cities and towns could be:

Vibo Valentia
Simbario
Termini Imerese
Cimmina
etc., whichever town you think is significant. So, for example, Bruno Roti was from Simbario and let's say purple is for Simbario. Let's say his residence was 123 Chinatown Street, so we would put a purple pin (or another object) at that address, and maybe also his businesses if they were in the area.

What do we do about those with ancestry in different places? Tony Spilotro was half mainland Italian and half Sicilian, so maybe in his case we stick with the paternal line.

Just an idea.
It's a great idea, and I've been thinking along similar lines. It can be really useful to have good visualizations to lay out some of the patterns of connection spatially.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:29 am
Nunzio Russo (W Chicago Av)
Nunzio Russo was born in Termini Imerese. Nunzio inherited his father Andrea Russo's food importing/grocery business on Chicago Ave and Hudson in the Near North Side Little Sicily (Nunzio also owned a pasta manufacturing company). The Russo's were well-off and thus could afford to live farther north, in the Lakewviw neighborhood. Later on Nunzio lived with his wife Olga Chiesa (a northener from Veneto) in the affluent (and then extremely WASPy) North Shore suburb Glencoe.

Beginning with a bombing in 1931, Nunzio survived several failed attempts on his life. In 1934 he was shot in the chest while at the barber shop (the Anastasia special), and the papers initially reported that Nunzio was killed. He survived though, and of course told the police that he wasn't able to get a look at the shooter. The papers suspected that he was the victim of a blackhand extortion attempt. Given that he was repeatedly attacked between 1931 and 1935, I'd suspect that he was likely a recalcitrant member of the Sicilian faction targeted by the Caponites.

Nunzio and his wife in later years were very active in Italian commubity service organizations in Chicago, and he died in 1968. Any idea if he continued his likely mob associations, or was he eventually left alone by the Outfit in exchange for remaining shelved?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Photo published in the Tribune after Nunzio Russo's close call with at the barbershop. Don't think the pic was current, as Nunzio was in his 50s then.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Vincenzo "Jimmy" Vinci with his bride Josephine Morici, who's family were from Termini Imerese. This is a further clue that the Calabrian Vinci family potentially had ties to the Sicilian family in Chicago.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Thanks a lot Polack for the great info on Russo and the pic of Jim Vinci.

I think theres no question that Russo was member or at least associated to the old Mafia, although i dont have a clue if he continued in Chicago or fled the city or maybe even changed his name since he was allegedly quite wealthy, while the Vincis were at first obviously with Aiello against Capone/Generos and later their younger brother Joe Vinci joined the Outfit, according to his connections to Alex and Orlando
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:57 am Thanks a lot Polack for the great info on Russo and the pic of Jim Vinci.

I think theres no question that Russo was member or at least associated to the old Mafia, although i dont have a clue if he continued in Chicago or fled the city or maybe even changed his name since he was allegedly quite wealthy, while the Vincis were at first obviously with Aiello against Capone/Generos and later their younger brother Joe Vinci joined the Outfit, according to his connections to Alex and Orlando
He kept his name and continued to live in the North Shore suburbs. His wife was in the papers in later years because she was active in Italian charitable/service organizations, so Nunzio wasn't keeping a low profile. This is why I think some arrangement was reached where (assuming he was a man of honor or at least associate) he retired or was shelved. I guess since he survived four hit attempts at some point they were like fuck it, it's not meant to be lol.