General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:42 pm
Villain wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:50 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:17 pm
Villain wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:55 am
PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:44 am Thanks, great info on the Guzaldos. You're right, I've seen them mentioned quite a bit in the press but not in FBI docs.

The Catholic school fire in '58 that you referred to was of course the Our Lady of the Angels fire. The section of Humboldt Park along Chicago Ave had grown heavily Italian over the preceding decades, as it was a middle class area that attracted Italians moving out of the Grand Ave slums. The tragedy of the fire ripped a hole in the community that never healed, and precipitated the decline of the Italians as they began to decamp for the suburbs. By the 70s/80s all the Italians were gone and the area became a rundown and violence plagued ghetto.

In the 30s and 40s Dago Mangano and Johnny Barcia lived in the area, while Jim DeGeorge lived very close near Division and Kedzie. The Mesi Bros, Cerone, and Gagliano all lived in the area for a number of years after their families left the old Grand Ave Patch.
Thanks a lot bud and this post was mostly made to catch your attention.

Back in the days i placed Phils name in one of my charts but i never did any detailed research on him or his family and to tell you the truth, I find the whole Catholic school fire quite dramatic and depressive. I wish i never stumbled upon that info....RIP to all innocent victims

Lets get back to the gangster tales, i think we can include Phil as one of those 100% old time Grand Av guys who joined or started in the EP/Grand crew under Accardo/Capezio/Cerone/Gagliano
Yes, agreed on both the fire and Guzaldo.

Philip J Guzaldo was born 1910 in Chicago to Mariano "Mike" Guzaldo of Caccamo, Palermo and Geraldina Serritella, born in Brooklyn to parents from Muro Lucano, Basilicata (a number of other Grand/EP guys had ancestry from Muro Lucano, including Tony Capezio, Smokes Aloisio, and the Cerones). When Philip was young the family lived at St Louis and Superior, and later moved farther west to the Austin area on Latrobe near Hirsch. Anthony, George, Peter, and Cosmo were all younger brothers of Philip.

Its interesting that Peter Guzaldo's arrest in '53 had his address as 653 N Homan (at Huron), as for years the building next door at 651 had several Guzaldos living in different apartments who I suspect were cousins of Philip et al. Jackie Cerone also lived directly around the corner on Huron. Cosimo Guzaldo, born in Louisiana, lived at 651 and one his daughters Concetta "Tina" Guzaldo married Luigi "Lou" Briatta (yes, that Lou Briatta).

Most of these Guzaldo guys in their WW2 registration cards show employment in local businesses likely serving as gambling fronts (e.g. a "social club", a billiard hall).

Another layer is that Philip and Cosimo both married women named Lupo, both of whom were born to parents from Caccamo (and both of whom had Lupo fathers and mothers with the surname Marfise). So likely Philip and Cosimo Guzaldo were cousins who both also married women who were likely cousins. All from Caccamo.

Also interesting to note that Peter Guzaldo was connected to Stan Jasinski, Nick Nitti's brother in law whose sons the "Jason" brothers also were running gambling opps out of bingo halls etc.
Thats some very good info and thanks again.

It seems Briatta had his blood in many families including Daley's lol Also, is it possible that the wives of Phil and Cosimo were related to Mike Lupo who in turn also belonged to EP?
I don't know too much about the Lupos, so can't really say. I do know that there was a Michael Lupo arrested in a 1959 gambling raid in Cicero along with Slicker Sam Rosa and Rocco Fischetti. Maybe this was the same guy as the Michael J Lupo who died in Elmwood Park in 2004, who had a son named Michael Jr. If so, Michael Sr's father was Mariano Lupo of Termini Imerese, which is of course right next to Caccamo so it's posible they had some connections back from the old country to the Lupos I mentioned above. Mariano Lupo and his family also lived in Humboldt Park not too far from the Guzaldos, on Lawndale by Potomac. I further note that there was a Michael Lupo back in the day who seems to have had some link via marriage to a Guzaldo, maybe it's the same guy.

What info do we have about Mike Lupo?
Yes, Mike Lupo Sr was possibly a made member of the Outfit, first under Cerone and later under Gagliano...this is what I managed to find with a quick search...i believe theres more..

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... =mike_lupo
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:50 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:42 pm
Villain wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:50 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:17 pm
Villain wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:55 am
PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:44 am Thanks, great info on the Guzaldos. You're right, I've seen them mentioned quite a bit in the press but not in FBI docs.

The Catholic school fire in '58 that you referred to was of course the Our Lady of the Angels fire. The section of Humboldt Park along Chicago Ave had grown heavily Italian over the preceding decades, as it was a middle class area that attracted Italians moving out of the Grand Ave slums. The tragedy of the fire ripped a hole in the community that never healed, and precipitated the decline of the Italians as they began to decamp for the suburbs. By the 70s/80s all the Italians were gone and the area became a rundown and violence plagued ghetto.

In the 30s and 40s Dago Mangano and Johnny Barcia lived in the area, while Jim DeGeorge lived very close near Division and Kedzie. The Mesi Bros, Cerone, and Gagliano all lived in the area for a number of years after their families left the old Grand Ave Patch.
Thanks a lot bud and this post was mostly made to catch your attention.

Back in the days i placed Phils name in one of my charts but i never did any detailed research on him or his family and to tell you the truth, I find the whole Catholic school fire quite dramatic and depressive. I wish i never stumbled upon that info....RIP to all innocent victims

Lets get back to the gangster tales, i think we can include Phil as one of those 100% old time Grand Av guys who joined or started in the EP/Grand crew under Accardo/Capezio/Cerone/Gagliano
Yes, agreed on both the fire and Guzaldo.

Philip J Guzaldo was born 1910 in Chicago to Mariano "Mike" Guzaldo of Caccamo, Palermo and Geraldina Serritella, born in Brooklyn to parents from Muro Lucano, Basilicata (a number of other Grand/EP guys had ancestry from Muro Lucano, including Tony Capezio, Smokes Aloisio, and the Cerones). When Philip was young the family lived at St Louis and Superior, and later moved farther west to the Austin area on Latrobe near Hirsch. Anthony, George, Peter, and Cosmo were all younger brothers of Philip.

Its interesting that Peter Guzaldo's arrest in '53 had his address as 653 N Homan (at Huron), as for years the building next door at 651 had several Guzaldos living in different apartments who I suspect were cousins of Philip et al. Jackie Cerone also lived directly around the corner on Huron. Cosimo Guzaldo, born in Louisiana, lived at 651 and one his daughters Concetta "Tina" Guzaldo married Luigi "Lou" Briatta (yes, that Lou Briatta).

Most of these Guzaldo guys in their WW2 registration cards show employment in local businesses likely serving as gambling fronts (e.g. a "social club", a billiard hall).

Another layer is that Philip and Cosimo both married women named Lupo, both of whom were born to parents from Caccamo (and both of whom had Lupo fathers and mothers with the surname Marfise). So likely Philip and Cosimo Guzaldo were cousins who both also married women who were likely cousins. All from Caccamo.

Also interesting to note that Peter Guzaldo was connected to Stan Jasinski, Nick Nitti's brother in law whose sons the "Jason" brothers also were running gambling opps out of bingo halls etc.
Thats some very good info and thanks again.

It seems Briatta had his blood in many families including Daley's lol Also, is it possible that the wives of Phil and Cosimo were related to Mike Lupo who in turn also belonged to EP?
I don't know too much about the Lupos, so can't really say. I do know that there was a Michael Lupo arrested in a 1959 gambling raid in Cicero along with Slicker Sam Rosa and Rocco Fischetti. Maybe this was the same guy as the Michael J Lupo who died in Elmwood Park in 2004, who had a son named Michael Jr. If so, Michael Sr's father was Mariano Lupo of Termini Imerese, which is of course right next to Caccamo so it's posible they had some connections back from the old country to the Lupos I mentioned above. Mariano Lupo and his family also lived in Humboldt Park not too far from the Guzaldos, on Lawndale by Potomac. I further note that there was a Michael Lupo back in the day who seems to have had some link via marriage to a Guzaldo, maybe it's the same guy.

What info do we have about Mike Lupo?
Yes, Mike Lupo Sr was possibly a made member of the Outfit, first under Cerone and later under Gagliano...this is what I managed to find with a quick search...i believe theres more..

Thanks, I'll look in the FBI files. Not much about Mike Lupo in the papers apart from that gambling raid.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Also, regarding Joseph D'Andrea. It's possible that Tony D'Andrea had a brother named Giuseppe who lived in Chicago, unclear to me if that was really the case. From what I can tell the Joseph D'Andrea who died in 1914 had a wife named Magdalena Fosco, and from a 1901 passport application (if it's the same guy) birthplace is listed as "Bizona", which I'm thinking is Bivona, Agrigento. So may or may not be linked to the more famous D'Andreas.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:06 pm Also, regarding Joseph D'Andrea. It's possible that Tony D'Andrea had a brother named Giuseppe who lived in Chicago, unclear to me if that was really the case. From what I can tell the Joseph D'Andrea who died in 1914 had a wife named Magdalena Fosco, and from a 1901 passport application (if it's the same guy) birthplace is listed as "Bizona", which I'm thinking is Bivona, Agrigento. So may or may not be linked to the more famous D'Andreas.
Another follow-up. The Tribune claimed that Joseph D'Andrea was Tony D'Andreas brother after Tony's death. Joseph was clearly a very powerful man in his own right, as he was the president of the Excavators (Sewer and Tunnel workers) union and vice president of the Hodcarriers who the papers referred to as a top labor leader and "padrone". The Tribune claimed that his death was part of conflict over the construction of Union Station.

His apparent relationship to Colosimo I think does further speak to Colosimo having already had close ties to the Mafia.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Joseph and Tony D'Andrea were unrelated. Tony was Sicilian and Joseph was a mainlander. It's been a while since I looked it up, but I think I covered it in my article on Tony D'Andrea. The man who had the most to benefit from Joe's death was in fact Tony.

https://www.magcloud.com/browse/Issue/9546

https://mob-who.blogspot.com/2011/04/da ... -1921.html
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:55 pm Joseph and Tony D'Andrea were unrelated. Tony was Sicilian and Joseph was a mainlander. It's been a while since I looked it up, but I think I covered it in my article on Tony D'Andrea. The man who had the most to benefit from Joe's death was in fact Tony.

Was there any connection between Tony DAndrea and Colosimo? I remember reading somewhere that DAndrea allegedly used to visit Colosimos joint. Or Tony was against the mainlander faction? Obviously his successor Merlo wasnt
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:23 am
Antiliar wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:55 pm Joseph and Tony D'Andrea were unrelated. Tony was Sicilian and Joseph was a mainlander. It's been a while since I looked it up, but I think I covered it in my article on Tony D'Andrea. The man who had the most to benefit from Joe's death was in fact Tony.

Was there any connection between Tony DAndrea and Colosimo? I remember reading somewhere that DAndrea allegedly used to visit Colosimos joint. Or Tony was against the mainlander faction? Obviously his successor Merlo wasnt
I don't recall article associating Tony D with Colosimo during their lifetimes, but the 1914 group photo that includes Colosimo and Merlo tells me that they probably got along well. Plus both Tony D'Andrea and Merlo were honorary pallbearers at Colosimo's funeral.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:44 am
Villain wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:23 am

I don't recall article associating Tony D with Colosimo during their lifetimes, but the 1914 group photo that includes Colosimo and Merlo tells me that they probably got along well. Plus both Tony D'Andrea and Merlo were honorary pallbearers at Colosimo's funeral.
Well that says a lot. Thanks again.

Btw i also think there was a connection between Tony DAndrea and Carrozzo, who in turn was an alleged Colosimo guy
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Thanks for clearing that up. The passport application that I referred to above listed Joseph's birthplace as "Bizona", which makes sense given that you have him as born in Pizzone, Molise.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Anyone ever heard of Chicago's Accardi brothers, Joe and Harry? During the 50s and 60s they were labelled by the feds as lieutenants for the English bros Charlie and Sam on the city's West Side.

It seems Joe Accardi was born sometime between 1923 and 1925 and in 1949, he was arrested on gambling charges and gave his home address as 1517 Grenshaw St. Together with Joe Accardi also got arrested one Harry Pontarelli. They operated a wireroom behind one barbershop located at 606 S Pulaski Rd, and another one at 3340 W 5th Av. That same year all charges were dropped.

In 1953, Joe Accardi was again arrested but this time for the theft of 9 expensive paintings from a cathedral in Bardstone, Kentucky. Other arrested were all English's associates such as William Skally, Joe DePietro and Joe Russo, followed by one individual from New York known as Gus Mantonelli. During the case, Joe Accardi gave his home address at 3358 Paxton blvd. Again, that same year all charges were dropped. In addition, besides being a professional burglar, Accardi's associate Skally was also involved in counterfeiting, stealing cars and selling narcotics.

In 1958, Joe's brother Harry Accardi was called to testify before the senate rackets committee together with Charles and Sam English. During the hearings, Harry Accardi was labelled as gambling operator for the English bros who managed their 5th Jack Club at 3340 W Jackson blvd. Nine years later, Mayor Daley revoked the club's license.

In 1963, Joe Accardi was arrested again on gambling charges as being a member of a group that operated around Sportsmans Park race track. Other prominent faces arrested with Accardi at the time were Don Angelini and William Joseph Russo (possibly related to Leonard Russo and it is possible that Joe and William was the same guy?). The feds also labelled Russo as English's lieutenant. Accardi spend two months in jail in connection with the above.

During this period Joe Accardi was allegedly closely connected to one of the bosses of the Indiana crew known as Frank Zizzo. It is also quite possible that Accardi also knew George Dicks, Zizzo and Nicoletti associate in Indiana.

In 1964, Harry Accardi was questioned in an investigation regarding the JFK assassination. Im not sure which year Joe died, but i think that Harry died in 1987. If anyone has any additional info or maybe some photos, please share.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:36 am Anyone ever heard of Chicago's Accardi brothers, Joe and Harry? During the 50s and 60s they were labelled by the feds as lieutenants for the English bros Charlie and Sam on the city's West Side.

It seems Joe Accardi was born sometime between 1923 and 1925 and in 1949, he was arrested on gambling charges and gave his home address as 1517 Grenshaw St. Together with Joe Accardi also got arrested one Harry Pontarelli. They operated a wireroom behind one barbershop located at 606 S Pulaski Rd, and another one at 3340 W 5th Av. That same year all charges were dropped.

In 1953, Joe Accardi was again arrested but this time for the theft of 9 expensive paintings from a cathedral in Bardstone, Kentucky. Other arrested were all English's associates such as William Skally, Joe DePietro and Joe Russo, followed by one individual from New York known as Gus Mantonelli. During the case, Joe Accardi gave his home address at 3358 Paxton blvd. Again, that same year all charges were dropped. In addition, besides being a professional burglar, Accardi's associate Skally was also involved in counterfeiting, stealing cars and selling narcotics.

In 1958, Joe's brother Harry Accardi was called to testify before the senate rackets committee together with Charles and Sam English. During the hearings, Harry Accardi was labelled as gambling operator for the English bros who managed their 5th Jack Club at 3340 W Jackson blvd. Nine years later, Mayor Daley revoked the club's license.

In 1963, Joe Accardi was arrested again on gambling charges as being a member of a group that operated around Sportsmans Park race track. Other prominent faces arrested with Accardi at the time were Don Angelini and William Joseph Russo (possibly related to Leonard Russo and it is possible that Joe and William was the same guy?). The feds also labelled Russo as English's lieutenant. Accardi spend two months in jail in connection with the above.

During this period Joe Accardi was allegedly closely connected to one of the bosses of the Indiana crew known as Frank Zizzo. It is also quite possible that Accardi also knew George Dicks, Zizzo and Nicoletti associate in Indiana.

In 1964, Harry Accardi was questioned in an investigation regarding the JFK assassination. Im not sure which year Joe died, but i think that Harry died in 1987. If anyone has any additional info or maybe some photos, please share.
From what I can tell, Harry and Joseph Accardi were both born in Chicago to Antonino "Tony" and Vincenza "Jennie" Accardi (Joe's death document gives her name as "Vincenzina Alesi"), both most likely from Alcamo, Trapani. Joseph was born in 1924, while his WW2 card gives Harry's birthday in 1913. In 1320 the family was already living at the 1517 W Grenshaw address (then called Edgemont Ave) that Joe later gave to the police as his residence. In 1940, Harry declared that he was self-employed at a "tavern", and on his WW2 card gave the address of his business as 3340 W Jackson Blvd, which of course is the location of the 5th Jack Club. Now, this location is right at the intersection of Homan, Jackson Blvd, and 5th Ave. Thus 3340 W Jackson was either a different address of the same wire room that Joseph was busted for running in 1949 (hard to tell exactly as this section of the West Side -- "5th City"" -- has gone through very rough times and lost much of its older structures over the years), or at the least they were right across the street from each other.

I can confirm that Harry Accardi died in 1987 and Joe in 1992.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:49 pm
Villain wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:36 am Anyone ever heard of Chicago's Accardi brothers, Joe and Harry? During the 50s and 60s they were labelled by the feds as lieutenants for the English bros Charlie and Sam on the city's West Side.

From what I can tell, Harry and Joseph Accardi were both born in Chicago to Antonino "Tony" and Vincenza "Jennie" Accardi (Joe's death document gives her name as "Vincenzina Alesi"), both most likely from Alcamo, Trapani. Joseph was born in 1924, while his WW2 card gives Harry's birthday in 1913. In 1320 the family was already living at the 1517 W Grenshaw address (then called Edgemont Ave) that Joe later gave to the police as his residence. In 1940, Harry declared that he was self-employed at a "tavern", and on his WW2 card gave the address of his business as 3340 W Jackson Blvd, which of course is the location of the 5th Jack Club. Now, this location is right at the intersection of Homan, Jackson Blvd, and 5th Ave. Thus 3340 W Jackson was either a different address of the same wire room that Joseph was busted for running in 1949 (hard to tell exactly as this section of the West Side -- "5th City"" -- has gone through very rough times and lost much of its older structures over the years), or at the least they were right across the street from each other.

I can confirm that Harry Accardi died in 1987 and Joe in 1992.
Thanks a lot man. Another address for the club was 3340 W 5th Av so i think youre right.

Btw, do you know if William J Russo was related to one Leonard Russo?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

The page before the one that you posted has a very interesting statement, down at the bottom. Hard to tell if Cerone is describing Lupo as his "stepson" or if he's stating that both Lupo and another guy who was Jack's "stepson" were both present, but it does seem like he's referring to Lupo. Now, Jack's wife was Clara Russo of course, and I don't see that Mike Lupo has any connection to her. If Mike Lupo really was the same guy that I identified above he was only 16 years younger than Cerone, though I suppose it's possible that Cerone was a like mentor and father figure to him and that's why he refers to him here as his "boy". Recall again that Cerone lived just a few buildings around the corner from the Guzaldos who both married Lupo women, at Huron and Homan. It's possible then that he knew Mike Lupo from a very young age (a lot of assumptions here of course).

The context of this 1962 conversation is also interesting. Giancana is berating Cerone as he thinks that Jack may have been meeting with Outfit-linked politicans in his home, and the Feds have started targeting some of these politicans, such as soon-to-be US congressman Frank Annunzio, 28th Ward Alderman/Committeeman Tony Girolami, and Elmwood Park mayor Elmer Conti (off the top of my head I'm drawing a blank for the "Pete" that Giancana is referring to here?). As Giancana correctly states "We're gonna get all loused up. Because if you louse them up you louse everything up. [...] I'm just telling ya because if we lose these guys we're dead, we gotta rely on them." It took 30 more years for the feds to finally smash the Outfit's political control (as well as their control over the court system), but the results certainly paint Mooney's statement as prescient (incidentally, Giancana's viewpoint here also goes to underscore the crucial importance of the "connection guys" like Humphreys, Alex, and Pierce for the Outfit admin).
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:31 pm

The page before the one that you posted has a very interesting statement, down at the bottom. Hard to tell if Cerone is describing Lupo as his "stepson" or if he's stating that both Lupo and another guy who was Jack's "stepson" were both present, but it does seem like he's referring to Lupo. Now, Jack's wife was Clara Russo of course, and I don't see that Mike Lupo has any connection to her. If Mike Lupo really was the same guy that I identified above he was only 16 years younger than Cerone, though I suppose it's possible that Cerone was a like mentor and father figure to him and that's why he refers to him here as his "boy". Recall again that Cerone lived just a few buildings around the corner from the Guzaldos who both married Lupo women, at Huron and Homan. It's possible then that he knew Mike Lupo from a very young age (a lot of assumptions here of course).

The context of this 1962 conversation is also interesting. Giancana is berating Cerone as he thinks that Jack may have been meeting with Outfit-linked politicans in his home, and the Feds have started targeting some of these politicans, such as soon-to-be US congressman Frank Annunzio, 28th Ward Alderman/Committeeman Tony Girolami, and Elmwood Park mayor Elmer Conti (off the top of my head I'm drawing a blank for the "Pete" that Giancana is referring to here?). As Giancana correctly states "We're gonna get all loused up. Because if you louse them up you louse everything up. [...] I'm just telling ya because if we lose these guys we're dead, we gotta rely on them." It took 30 more years for the feds to finally smash the Outfit's political control (as well as their control over the court system), but the results certainly paint Mooney's statement as prescient (incidentally, Giancana's viewpoint here also goes to underscore the crucial importance of the "connection guys" like Humphreys, Alex, and Pierce for the Outfit admin).
Just realized that the "Pete" Giancana was referring to was then Illinois state legislator Peter Granata.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

23 year old Tony Accardo, then resident at the RoseMoor Hotel at Jackson Blvd and Ashland, giving his name as "Joseph Batters" to the Census taker (this was taken in April a few weeks before Accardo's 24th birthday):

Until recent years the RoseMoor Hotel was still operating, though as a really nasty flophouse hotel full of junkies and prostitutes. Since I've left Chicago it seems to have been completely renovated and is now called "Hotel Chicago West Loop".