General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Snakes »

Frank wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:19 pm Im sure LE had some of the info wrong. I dont believe Accardo would have been in the actual decision making of who the next Genovese boss would be, apart from maybe a few Genovese members seeking some advice or input from Accardo. I assume the other Outfit guy was The Wizard of Odds. I dont see where he fits in with the picking of a new Genovese boss. I think its a good possibility that the meetings where either not about pi cking the new boss or Ricci and Accardo just meeting like the ussually do.
Dominick Angelina was a Genovese guy, I believe
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:37 pm
Frank wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:19 pm Im sure LE had some of the info wrong. I dont believe Accardo would have been in the actual decision making of who the next Genovese boss would be, apart from maybe a few Genovese members seeking some advice or input from Accardo. I assume the other Outfit guy was The Wizard of Odds. I dont see where he fits in with the picking of a new Genovese boss. I think its a good possibility that the meetings where either not about pi cking the new boss or Ricci and Accardo just meeting like the ussually do.
Maybe this is referring to Jimmy Angelina?

I see that in 1969, the Feds issued subpoenas in Miami to a group of gangsters, including Accardo, Jackie Cerone, Tony Ricci, Lanksy, Jimmy Alo, and Carlo Gambino.

Two reports of Ricci meeting with guys in Chicago in '68. In one, he stayed at a hotel in Melrose Park, and while he was out dining with Accardo and Ricca someone apparently robbed his hotel room. In another, Ricci was in town at the same time as Tony Pinelli, and they met with Accardo, Ricca, Cerone, and Alderisio.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:14 pm
Snakes wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:37 pm
Maybe this is referring to Jimmy Angelina?

I see that in 1969, the Feds issued subpoenas in Miami to a group of gangsters, including Accardo, Jackie Cerone, Tony Ricci, Lanksy, Jimmy Alo, and Carlo Gambino.

Two reports of Ricci meeting with guys in Chicago in '68. In one, he stayed at a hotel in Melrose Park, and while he was out dining with Accardo and Ricca someone apparently robbed his hotel room. In another, Ricci was in town at the same time as Tony Pinelli, and they met with Accardo, Ricca, Cerone, and Alderisio.
Yeah, maybe that's it. I don't think it's referring to Don Angelini, either way.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:42 am Yes, I think the papers listed DeGrazio as an attendee of the funeral thinking it was the better known Outfit figure, Rocco DeGrazia. Amato was the only prominent Outfit figure to attend Accardo's wake and funeral.
Thanks. I think in 1932, DeGrazio was arrested together with Accardo and Sam Hunt and theres a photo of them, and i also think that DeGrazio was involved in helping Accardo regarding his tax evasion case from the early 60s and also had influence over placing new police chiefs in certain areas. I wonder if he was made...
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

In addition, there was another old time Northwest clan from the old days known as the Guzaldo family.

Phil Guzaldo was a lieutenant for Joe Gagliano and Jack Cerone during the 50s and 60s, who controlled numerous bookmaking ops around Grand Av and Elmwood Park. When Guzaldo got arrested, his home address during the 50s was 1808 N Latrobe Av and owned gambling spots at 3614 Chicago Av and 3620 Chicago Av. In 1955, Phil Guzaldo was 45 years old. In 1966, Phil Guzaldo lived at 1407 N Latrobe Av and was again arrested on gambling charges together with John Lardino, John Cimitile and Stanley Jasinski. In 1967, Phil Guzaldo was seen playing at a golf match, known as the National Italian Golf Tournament, together with Sam Giancana, Joey DiVarco, Jack Cerone, Joe Amato, Sam Rosa, Riccas Son Paul Jr and Milwaukee criminal lawyer Dominic Frinzi. I personally highly suspect that Phil Guzaldo was a made member of the Chicago Outfit under the auspices of the Elmwood Park/Grand av crew.

Anthony Guzaldo was Phil's brother with home address 1419 N Parkside Av and in 1963 operated a gambling joint at 904 N Pulaski Rd and possibly another one at 2326 Grand Av. That same year Anthony was arrested together with one Phil Musso, possibly related to Victor Musso who was a member of the North Side mob. At the time Anthony was 50 years old. In 1967, Anthony Guzaldo was again arrested on gambling charges for being the keeper of a wireroom at 3608 Chicago Av and his brother Phil was wanted for questioning and later arrested.

Another possible brother, George Guzaldo also operated another gambling joint under the auspices of Anthony, transformed as a barber shop at 3510 Chicago Av. In 1955, George Guzaldo was 39 years old. In 1958, George's daughter died in a fire which took the lives of more than 90 individuals in one Catholic school.

Another possible brother was Peter Guzaldo with home address 653 N Homan Av, who in 1953 was arrested on robbery charges.

Back in 1945, another Guzaldo/brother but this time named Cosmo, received a purple heart medal for being wounded during WWII. Cosmo Guzaldo lived at 713 N St Louis Av at the time. All of these fellas lived or operated in the same neighborhoods.
Last edited by Villain on Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

I believe in the late 90s early 2000s there was a Chris Guzaldo that was Outfit involved?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

cavita wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:09 am I believe in the late 90s early 2000s there was a Chris Guzaldo that was Outfit involved?
Thanks for the additional info Cav, ill check that out....it seems the Guzaldos can be often found in the newspapers but rarely in FBI files....all of my previous info comes from the Chicago Tribune lol
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

In addition, Phil Guzaldo died in 71....Tony, George, Pete and Cosmo are mentioned as his brothers

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Thanks, great info on the Guzaldos. You're right, I've seen them mentioned quite a bit in the press but not in FBI docs.

The Catholic school fire in '58 that you referred to was of course the Our Lady of the Angels fire. The section of Humboldt Park along Chicago Ave had grown heavily Italian over the preceding decades, as it was a middle class area that attracted Italians moving out of the Grand Ave slums. The tragedy of the fire ripped a hole in the community that never healed, and precipitated the decline of the Italians as they began to decamp for the suburbs. By the 70s/80s all the Italians were gone and the area became a rundown and violence plagued ghetto.

In the 30s and 40s Dago Mangano and Johnny Barcia lived in the area, while Jim DeGeorge lived very close near Division and Kedzie. The Mesi Bros, Cerone, and Gagliano all lived in the area for a number of years after their families left the old Grand Ave Patch.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:44 am Thanks, great info on the Guzaldos. You're right, I've seen them mentioned quite a bit in the press but not in FBI docs.

The Catholic school fire in '58 that you referred to was of course the Our Lady of the Angels fire. The section of Humboldt Park along Chicago Ave had grown heavily Italian over the preceding decades, as it was a middle class area that attracted Italians moving out of the Grand Ave slums. The tragedy of the fire ripped a hole in the community that never healed, and precipitated the decline of the Italians as they began to decamp for the suburbs. By the 70s/80s all the Italians were gone and the area became a rundown and violence plagued ghetto.

In the 30s and 40s Dago Mangano and Johnny Barcia lived in the area, while Jim DeGeorge lived very close near Division and Kedzie. The Mesi Bros, Cerone, and Gagliano all lived in the area for a number of years after their families left the old Grand Ave Patch.
Thanks a lot bud and this post was mostly made to catch your attention.

Back in the days i placed Phils name in one of my charts but i never did any detailed research on him or his family and to tell you the truth, I find the whole Catholic school fire quite dramatic and depressive. I wish i never stumbled upon that info....RIP to all innocent victims

Lets get back to the gangster tales, i think we can include Phil as one of those 100% old time Grand Av guys who joined or started in the EP/Grand crew under Accardo/Capezio/Cerone/Gagliano
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:55 am
PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:44 am Thanks, great info on the Guzaldos. You're right, I've seen them mentioned quite a bit in the press but not in FBI docs.

Back in the days i placed Phils name in one of my charts but i never did any detailed research on him or his family and to tell you the truth, I find the whole Catholic school fire quite dramatic and depressive. I wish i never stumbled upon that info....RIP to all innocent victims

Lets get back to the gangster tales, i think we can include Phil as one of those 100% old time Grand Av guys who joined or started in the EP/Grand crew under Accardo/Capezio/Cerone/Gagliano
Yes, agreed on both the fire and Guzaldo.

Philip J Guzaldo was born 1910 in Chicago to Mariano "Mike" Guzaldo of Caccamo, Palermo and Geraldina Serritella, born in Brooklyn to parents from Muro Lucano, Basilicata (a number of other Grand/EP guys had ancestry from Muro Lucano, including Tony Capezio, Smokes Aloisio, and the Cerones). When Philip was young the family lived at St Louis and Superior, and later moved farther west to the Austin area on Latrobe near Hirsch. Anthony, George, Peter, and Cosmo were all younger brothers of Philip.

Its interesting that Peter Guzaldo's arrest in '53 had his address as 653 N Homan (at Huron), as for years the building next door at 651 had several Guzaldos living in different apartments who I suspect were cousins of Philip et al. Jackie Cerone also lived directly around the corner on Huron. Cosimo Guzaldo, born in Louisiana, lived at 651 and one his daughters Concetta "Tina" Guzaldo married Luigi "Lou" Briatta (yes, that Lou Briatta).

Most of these Guzaldo guys in their WW2 registration cards show employment in local businesses likely serving as gambling fronts (e.g. a "social club", a billiard hall).

Another layer is that Philip and Cosimo both married women named Lupo, both of whom were born to parents from Caccamo (and both of whom had Lupo fathers and mothers with the surname Marfise). So likely Philip and Cosimo Guzaldo were cousins who both also married women who were likely cousins. All from Caccamo.

Also interesting to note that Peter Guzaldo was connected to Stan Jasinski, Nick Nitti's brother in law whose sons the "Jason" brothers also were running gambling opps out of bingo halls etc.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I'll add that Needlenose Labriola also lived in the area, at Ridgeway and Superior.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:17 pm

Philip J Guzaldo was born 1910 in Chicago to Mariano "Mike" Guzaldo of Caccamo, Palermo and Geraldina Serritella, born in Brooklyn to parents from Muro Lucano, Basilicata (a number of other Grand/EP guys had ancestry from Muro Lucano, including Tony Capezio, Smokes Aloisio, and the Cerones). When Philip was young the family lived at St Louis and Superior, and later moved farther west to the Austin area on Latrobe near Hirsch. Anthony, George, Peter, and Cosmo were all younger brothers of Philip.

Its interesting that Peter Guzaldo's arrest in '53 had his address as 653 N Homan (at Huron), as for years the building next door at 651 had several Guzaldos living in different apartments who I suspect were cousins of Philip et al. Jackie Cerone also lived directly around the corner on Huron. Cosimo Guzaldo, born in Louisiana, lived at 651 and one his daughters Concetta "Tina" Guzaldo married Luigi "Lou" Briatta (yes, that Lou Briatta).

Most of these Guzaldo guys in their WW2 registration cards show employment in local businesses likely serving as gambling fronts (e.g. a "social club", a billiard hall).

Another layer is that Philip and Cosimo both married women named Lupo, both of whom were born to parents from Caccamo (and both of whom had Lupo fathers and mothers with the surname Marfise). So likely Philip and Cosimo Guzaldo were cousins who both also married women who were likely cousins. All from Caccamo.

Also interesting to note that Peter Guzaldo was connected to Stan Jasinski, Nick Nitti's brother in law whose sons the "Jason" brothers also were running gambling opps out of bingo halls etc.
Thats some very good info and thanks again.

It seems Briatta had his blood in many families including Daley's lol Also, is it possible that the wives of Phil and Cosimo were related to Mike Lupo who in turn also belonged to EP?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:50 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:17 pm

Thats some very good info and thanks again.

It seems Briatta had his blood in many families including Daley's lol Also, is it possible that the wives of Phil and Cosimo were related to Mike Lupo who in turn also belonged to EP?
I don't know too much about the Lupos, so can't really say. I do know that there was a Michael Lupo arrested in a 1959 gambling raid in Cicero along with Slicker Sam Rosa and Rocco Fischetti. Maybe this was the same guy as the Michael J Lupo who died in Elmwood Park in 2004, who had a son named Michael Jr. If so, Michael Sr's father was Mariano Lupo of Termini Imerese, which is of course right next to Caccamo so it's posible they had some connections back from the old country to the Lupos I mentioned above. Mariano Lupo and his family also lived in Humboldt Park not too far from the Guzaldos, on Lawndale by Potomac. I further note that there was a Michael Lupo back in the day who seems to have had some link via marriage to a Guzaldo, maybe it's the same guy.

What info do we have about Mike Lupo?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:02 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:39 pm
Antiliar wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:22 pm Jim Colosimo hailed from Colosimi, which is about a two-hour drive from Casabona, so I don't see a biological connection, only a provincial connection. I think it's more likely that some reporter made a claim about a relationship, and the claim was repeated so often it became accepted as true.
I don't have the source at hand, but I recall reading the claim at some point that Torrio's connection to Colosimo was via a link between Salvatore Caputo and Victoria Moresco. Certainly the story that Torrio was either a cousin or nephew of either Colosimo or Victoria has been repeated ad nauseum with no supporting evidence. Its certainly possible that there was some social connection between Victoria and Caputo (her family did live in New York before moving to Chicago, perhaps they had connections to Calabrese social networks there), but this is just speculation on my part.

I note that Victoria herself seems to have also been from Colosimi, Cosenza.
Yes, I also agree that we dont have any hard evidence regarding Torrios alleged blood relations to the Colosimos or Morescos. One "legend" says that before he got married with Victoria, Colosimo only acted as precinct captain and collector for Kenna and Coughlin but when he met Victoria, Colosimo allegedly also got involved in the prostitution racket and gambling. Victoria also had two brothers involved in the rackets, Joseph and John Moresco. There was also one Joseph D'Andrea who was killed in 1914 and was allegedly also connected to the Colosimos.
(From my Pugliesi thread)

I've read the same legend regarding Moresco being the real player who brought Big Jim into the game. Who really knows.

From what I recall, Joseph D'Andrea was thought to be with Torrio on a hit squad that took out the extortionists that had been troubling Colosimo. I don't know much more about him, but just based on the surname I do wonder if he's another clue that Colosimo and Torrio already had close connections to the Mafia.