General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Antiliar »

Snakes wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:31 pm Vito Spillone was identified by the FBI as a member of Chicago LCN operating in Los Angeles. In 1976, after serving a five-year sentence for extortion in Chicago, Spillone moved to Los Angeles and later received permission from Joey Aiuppa to extort bookmakers and give out juice loans. Spillone was again convicted of extortion in 1986 and served a ten year prison sentence. He died in 2015.

Looking back at Vito Spillone, I have to wonder when he could have been made. He was 26 years old when he was associated with Angelo LaPietra in 1963, and at 21 in 1958 he was questioned about a kidnapping. In February 1971, when he was 33, he was sentenced to 12 years in prison. He was paroled early and moved to Los Angeles in 1976. If he was already made by 1976, I would assume it would have been sometime in the 1960s. He would have been relatively young compared to other people made after the very early years. Not many get made in their 20s. It's interesting that he was represented by Anthony Brooklier at his trial in Los Angeles. In looking at the 1971 case, he's only called a juice collector for Steve Annoreno.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:20 pm
Snakes wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:31 pm Vito Spillone was identified by the FBI as a member of Chicago LCN operating in Los Angeles. In 1976, after serving a five-year sentence for extortion in Chicago, Spillone moved to Los Angeles and later received permission from Joey Aiuppa to extort bookmakers and give out juice loans. Spillone was again convicted of extortion in 1986 and served a ten year prison sentence. He died in 2015.

Looking back at Vito Spillone, I have to wonder when he could have been made. He was 26 years old when he was associated with Angelo LaPietra in 1963, and at 21 in 1958 he was questioned about a kidnapping. In February 1971, when he was 33, he was sentenced to 12 years in prison. He was paroled early and moved to Los Angeles in 1976. If he was already made by 1976, I would assume it would have been sometime in the 1960s. He would have been relatively young compared to other people made after the very early years. Not many get made in their 20s. It's interesting that he was represented by Anthony Brooklier at his trial in Los Angeles. In looking at the 1971 case, he's only called a juice collector for Steve Annoreno.
Isn't it possible that they called him back to Chicago to be made sometime between 1976 and 86? Otherwise, for him to be made in his 20s would basically be like Tony Spilotro status.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

It's possible. I also wonder if he was really made at all, or if he was, made into the L.A. Family.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:46 pm It's possible. I also wonder if he was really made at all, or if he was, made into the L.A. Family.
They were pretty clear about him being a made guy when he was indicted. He may have been made when he was released from prison. He was also referred to as a member of the "Chicago family." If he wasn't made, I don't think he'd need to ask for permission to leave but that's just my take.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Old photos of Vito and Tony Spillone...

And another one which i think its from youngster Vito Spillone...

Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Snakes wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:10 pm
Antiliar wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:46 pm It's possible. I also wonder if he was really made at all, or if he was, made into the L.A. Family.
They were pretty clear about him being a made guy when he was indicted. He may have been made when he was released from prison. He was also referred to as a member of the "Chicago family." If he wasn't made, I don't think he'd need to ask for permission to leave but that's just my take.
Was that the media or FBI? I've seen both exaggerating that 'made' status, especially with the Outfit.

Spillone would have been affiliated with Spilotro anyway being on the west coast, no? Chris Petti was the Outfit's guy in California.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

I think the Spillones started under Buccieri/Torello but im not sure ...
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

SolarSolano wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:44 am
Snakes wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:10 pm
Was that the media or FBI? I've seen both exaggerating that 'made' status, especially with the Outfit.

Spillone would have been affiliated with Spilotro anyway being on the west coast, no? Chris Petti was the Outfit's guy in California.
No, this is 100% FBI
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Just a general statement:

When looking at files, Chicago T-1, Chicago T-2, etc. are not unique identifiers concerning informants. These are only unique in the reports in which they are mentioned. T-1 in 1960 may not be the same T-1 several years later in the same file. They kept informant names very closely guarded. When unique identifiers had to be used, they did not use names. Instead, they used xxxx-TE (for "top echelon" informants) or xxxx-PC (for all other informants). For the most part, these identifiers are still redacted, although the files released for the Kennedy assassination do not do so and are able to be viewed. To keep the informants identities secret, they used T-1, T-2, etc. and only used the informant codes in the Criminal Informant Program files and not individual case files.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Any info on Phil Amato, from Grand Ave? He was Jimmy Cozzo's wife Tonina's father and lived on Ogden right by the Cozzo compound. Red Wemette has a number of stories about him, including that he was Red's collector before Schweihs replaced him with Tony Jeeps Daddino. Phil's son Frank Amato was also active, apparently he was involved in running a big bookmaking operation out of the Bingo hall there with Philly Cozzo.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:15 pm Any info on Phil Amato, from Grand Ave? He was Jimmy Cozzo's wife Tonina's father and lived on Ogden right by the Cozzo compound. Red Wemette has a number of stories about him, including that he was Red's collector before Schweihs replaced him with Tony Jeeps Daddino. Phil's son Frank Amato was also active, apparently he was involved in running a big bookmaking operation out of the Bingo hall there with Philly Cozzo.
Also any one know if Phil Amato was related to the owners of D'Amato's Bakery? His parents were originally D'Amato, from Cefalà Diana, Palermo.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

In 1969 Phil Amato and Jimmy Cozzo were among a group of men accused of curbing the car of two Federal Bureau of Narcotics Agents near Grand and Wood, dragging them out of the car, and beating them and threatening to kill them. The group was later acquitted after the agents failed to appear and testify at the grand jury. The others accused were Mario Sprovieri, Sam Nicosia, and Emanuel Roberto, all resident in the immediate Grand and Ogden area. Federal agents described all five men as juice collectors working for the Gagliano and Messino operation.

Two things to note. First, seems that the FBN was investigating Grand Ave guys in '69. Second, this indicates that even at this point Grand Ave guys were continuing to work under EP, again showing the close neighborhood ties that kept the Grand Ave and EP crews close to each other in the years to come.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Also, Sam Nicosia was the husband of Jelly Cozzo's sister Eleanor.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Some info regarding Caifanos view on the Outfit...i think Solly D also told similar lie years later on TV regarding the Outfit being a simple group of gamblers...