Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

faffy444
On Record

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by faffy444 »

very astute observation on this one B. you have done your homework !
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

B. wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:50 pm A missing piece of the puzzle is Dominic Romeo's entry into the Buffalo family.

- Born in Siderno, arrived in Niagara Falls, NY in 1950 as a young adult and married a woman in Ontario.
- Made member of the Buffalo family by 1964 and confidant of Stefano Magaddino, who treats him with more respect than many other members recorded on his office tapes.
- Magaddino also praised Romeo to other members in a conversation where Romeo is not present. Again surprising, given that Magaddino disparages so many people, including his own members. In this conversation he says Romeo was "endorsed by the folks at Cartapedana (ph)," possibly indicating Romeo received recommendation for membership from wherever that phonetic location is (Italy?).
- In conversation with Magaddino, Romeo is very knowledgeable of the Calabrian element in Canada and appears to serve as a liaison to them.
- In 1966, the FBI noted that Romeo and Peter Magaddino (Stefano's son, a made member) traveled to Canada where they met with Bonanno Montreal leaders Vic Cotroni and Paolo Violi, both Calabrians like Romeo. It should be noted in 1964 Stefano Magaddino was recorded giving Romeo extensive details on the Joe Bonanno situation.

Aside from that, Romeo appears to have been a legitimate businessman who was part of civic Italian groups in the Niagara Falls area and he died in 2010. His Buffalo membership is confirmed on the Magaddino tapes.

Questions:

- Is Romeo the only Sidernese underworld figure in the region to be a confirmed as a Buffalo member? It could be an indication that some from the Siderno faction of Ontario also had Buffalo membership.
- Buffalo does not appear to have been widely recruiting members in Niagara Falls during this period, so Romeo's ability to move to the area in the early 1950s as an apparent outsider from Calabria and become a member by his early 30s (possibly earlier) and be held in high standing by Magaddino is interesting. Romeo does not appear to have been significantly involved in criminal activities, so was his induction for political reasons?
- From his conversations with Magaddino, his ties to Ontario and Montreal Calabrian mafosi, and Magaddino's reference to an "endorsement" from an unidentified Italian location, it appears Romeo had ties to both the 'Ndrandgheta and Cosa Nostra.
- Romeo's wife was a Senese, apparently from Ontario. Is that name connected to Calabrian or Ontario underworld figures?
I know there were Romeos either on Railway Street in Hamilton 1920's, or part of Rocco Perri crew that would come to Railway. Frank and Mike, either them or other brothers (Ross) killed one of themselves. They were Calabrese, don't know about being from Siderno, regardless, it's pretty much common knowledge that Magadinno had ties to Railway Street in Hamilton.

Maybe this is a thread that could help.
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

B. wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:50 pm A missing piece of the puzzle is Dominic Romeo's entry into the Buffalo family.

- Born in Siderno, arrived in Niagara Falls, NY in 1950 as a young adult and married a woman in Ontario.
- Made member of the Buffalo family by 1964 and confidant of Stefano Magaddino, who treats him with more respect than many other members recorded on his office tapes.
- Magaddino also praised Romeo to other members in a conversation where Romeo is not present. Again surprising, given that Magaddino disparages so many people, including his own members. In this conversation he says Romeo was "endorsed by the folks at Cartapedana (ph)," possibly indicating Romeo received recommendation for membership from wherever that phonetic location is (Italy?).
- In conversation with Magaddino, Romeo is very knowledgeable of the Calabrian element in Canada and appears to serve as a liaison to them.
- In 1966, the FBI noted that Romeo and Peter Magaddino (Stefano's son, a made member) traveled to Canada where they met with Bonanno Montreal leaders Vic Cotroni and Paolo Violi, both Calabrians like Romeo. It should be noted in 1964 Stefano Magaddino was recorded giving Romeo extensive details on the Joe Bonanno situation.

Aside from that, Romeo appears to have been a legitimate businessman who was part of civic Italian groups in the Niagara Falls area and he died in 2010. His Buffalo membership is confirmed on the Magaddino tapes.

Questions:

- Is Romeo the only Sidernese underworld figure in the region to be a confirmed as a Buffalo member? It could be an indication that some from the Siderno faction of Ontario also had Buffalo membership.
- Buffalo does not appear to have been widely recruiting members in Niagara Falls during this period, so Romeo's ability to move to the area in the early 1950s as an apparent outsider from Calabria and become a member by his early 30s (possibly earlier) and be held in high standing by Magaddino is interesting. Romeo does not appear to have been significantly involved in criminal activities, so was his induction for political reasons?
- From his conversations with Magaddino, his ties to Ontario and Montreal Calabrian mafosi, and Magaddino's reference to an "endorsement" from an unidentified Italian location, it appears Romeo had ties to both the 'Ndrandgheta and Cosa Nostra.
- Romeo's wife was a Senese, apparently from Ontario. Is that name connected to Calabrian or Ontario underworld figures?
He was a cousin of Paolo (Paul) Romeo and Michele “Mike” Romeo of Youngstown as well as cousins to Serafino “Sam” Romeo who headed the rackets in Erie, PA. Paul and Mike Romeo were born and raised in Casignana, RC, Italy and Serafino was born in Oppido Mamertina, RC. My family all came from Casignana, Santa Cristina D’Aspromonte and Cirella, the Romeo’s married into my family and vice versa. I remember my grandmother taking the bus a few times per year to go to Buffalo to stay with the Romeo’s. My grandfather used to go smelt fishing in Canada with Dominic. Never realized Dominic was mobbed up deep. Thanks for that B.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

NickleCity wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:32 pm
For those who are unaware Masecchia is married to Bart Mazzara’s daughter who was a made man in Buffalo.
D'Youville College graduates Krista Mazzara and Michael Anthony Masecchia exchanged nuptial vows during a ceremony performed by Monsignor William A. Schwinger at 2 p.m. Saturday in St. Louis Catholic Church.

Mr. and Mrs. Bart T. Mazzara of Amherst are the bride's parents. The bridegroom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Nazzareno Masecchia of Colvin Avenue. A reception was given in the Statler Golden Ballroom in Statler Towers before the couple left for St. Thomas. They will be at home in North Tonawanda.

A graduate also of Mount St. Mary Academy, the bride is an accounting supervisor for Home Care Support Services Inc. The bridegroom, a Bennett High School graduate, is a substitute teacher in Grover Cleveland High School.
Here is the link to the article above: https://buffalonews.com/1993/05/30/mrs-masecchia/
Krista’s uncle was Buffalo soldier Daniel J Sansanese Jr. who Ron Fino describes like this:
Daniel Sansanese Jr.: Just like his father, an absolutely cold blooded man who didn’t care about anyone but his own family. Danny died 06/16/2003.
Her uncle Victor Sansanese is described like this:
Sneaky but trusted by Joe Todaro Jr. A Capo in the family. after I left the union, I had to answer to him and his enforcer Sammy Cardinale, who threatened to waste me, and wanted to frisk me at a clandestine meeting. He and his sons severely beat up WNY media leader Billy Delmont for refusing to go along with their requests.
Here is the link to her Aunt Judy Sansanese’s obituary who passed on August 4: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/bu ... =196599186

You can see that Krista signed the guestbook and wrote:
The most amazing memories with Aunt Judy growing up are endless. She had it all. I always admired her and loved her. She was family. She was one of the most selfless, loving and caring woman we knew. She meant the world to my entire family and will always be in our hearts and minds. Rest in peace Aunt Judy. Luv you. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Krista and Family
Here is the link to her uncle Dan Sansanese’s obituary: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/bu ... id=1313190
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JCB1977 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:26 pm He was a cousin of Paolo (Paul) Romeo and Michele “Mike” Romeo of Youngstown as well as cousins to Serafino “Sam” Romeo who headed the rackets in Erie, PA. Paul and Mike Romeo were born and raised in Casignana, RC, Italy and Serafino was born in Oppido Mamertina, RC. My family all came from Casignana, Santa Cristina D’Aspromonte and Cirella, the Romeo’s married into my family and vice versa. I remember my grandmother taking the bus a few times per year to go to Buffalo to stay with the Romeo’s. My grandfather used to go smelt fishing in Canada with Dominic. Never realized Dominic was mobbed up deep. Thanks for that B.
Great info -- so he was in fact related to the other Romeos despite being from another Italian hometown (not that it's that far up the Calabrian coast). It's interesting because his recorded conversations give the impression that he was indeed "mobbed up deep", but outside of those few FBI files you never would have known. He appears to have been an upstanding member of the community.
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

antimafia wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:37 am
antimafia wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:25 pm
antimafia wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:07 am Is the Settemila Café also a bakery?

The white SUV appeared to be parked near there.

Tre Mari Bakery is too far east from where the vehicle was parked.
antimafia wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:19 pm
Man dead in brazen daylight shooting on St. Clair W.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... t-clair-w/
After looking at the various news photos more closely, I am certain the unnamed bakery near where the victim's vehicle was parked is the Praia De Mira Portuguese Bakery at 1346 St. Clair Ave. W.

Perhaps more important than where the victim's car was parked at the time of the murder is the fact he was visiting his sister in Toronto.

[snip]
Cross-posting.
-----------------
Farogh Sadat of British Columbia has been identified as the victim.

http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/47410
Additional information, seems the deceased had a habit of robbing Mexican dealers in Canada.

https://www.gangsterismout.com/2020/09/ ... times.html
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
AM434
Straightened out

Post by AM434 »

SantoClaus wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:10 am
antimafia wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:37 am
antimafia wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:25 pm
antimafia wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:07 am Is the Settemila Café also a bakery?

The white SUV appeared to be parked near there.

Tre Mari Bakery is too far east from where the vehicle was parked.
antimafia wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:19 pm
Man dead in brazen daylight shooting on St. Clair W.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... t-clair-w/
After looking at the various news photos more closely, I am certain the unnamed bakery near where the victim's vehicle was parked is the Praia De Mira Portuguese Bakery at 1346 St. Clair Ave. W.

Perhaps more important than where the victim's car was parked at the time of the murder is the fact he was visiting his sister in Toronto.

[snip]
Cross-posting.
-----------------
Farogh Sadat of British Columbia has been identified as the victim.

http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/47410
Additional information, seems the deceased had a habit of robbing Mexican dealers in Canada.

https://www.gangsterismout.com/2020/09/ ... times.html
Not a good habit for one's health.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

In this interview of Antonio Nicaso by Conrad Collaco from CBC Hamilton, which brought to our attention by Antimafia in the Angelo Musitano Hit thread, Nicaso says some interesting things about the Canadian mob war and how groups in Hamilton/Southern Ontario have been rebuilding their historic ties to the Buffalo mob. https://www.facebook.com/cbchamilton/vi ... 7083459691
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

In this video, they mention joe catroppa was killed. Hard to find info about joe catroppa but he killed a 23 year old kid in club paparazzi 2000 in Richmond hill back in the day as well as went to prison in Canada and Mexico for drugs. As of recently he lived in Oakville near Toronto with a landscaping company and made good money, driving around a Ferrari ect. Probably went to Mexico for something related to drugs. From what I could gather he was connected to the musitanos and/or commissos, based on his friends.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

*he was killed in Mexico a couple of days ago and so there is little information
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Moscone65 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:03 am In this video, they mention joe catroppa was killed. Hard to find info about joe catroppa but he killed a 23 year old kid in club paparazzi 2000 in Richmond hill back in the day as well as went to prison in Canada and Mexico for drugs. As of recently he lived in Oakville near Toronto with a landscaping company and made good money, driving around a Ferrari ect. Probably went to Mexico for something related to drugs. From what I could gather he was connected to the musitanos and/or commissos, based on his friends.
So at about the 13:15 mark of the Facebook Live chat this past Tuesday with Antonio Nicaso, the interviewer read the following question by a commenter:

Tobias Chaney · 11:21
Is Mr. Nicaso aware that Joe Catroppa was killed in mexico yesterday?

To see the above comment, go to https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink and then click on "20 comments" -- currently there are 20.

Nicaso responded that he had heard about the death of a "Joe Capra" (I think Nicaso might have gotten the name wrong) but was waiting to hear more about it and thus couldn't comment.

After visiting https://www.facebook.com/nomoredeath1/p ... 5792755824 and then clicking on the link there, I have the impression that Catroppa's murder in Mexico was discussed on social media -- Twitter in particular -- but that the murder is not widely known about except by his friends, some of whom might have posted online about it. I haven't been able to find any tweets, which either have been deleted or are hard to find because they don't contain Catroppa's surname.

Moscone65,

Do you have any confirmation that this Joe Catroppa 1) was indeed recently murdered in Mexico, and 2) is the same Catroppa who was charged, along with Vincenzo Femia, in the murder of Marco Nardozi back in 2000?

If you have confirmation, please don't post how you have confirmation -- I just want to know whether you do have confirmation. Should you have confirmation, I would like to indirectly reach out to Marco's sister to advise her of the news, as I don't know whether law enforcement would have contacted the Nardozis in such a matter. Thanks in advance. If you don't want to comment, I entirely understand.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

antimafia wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:16 pm
Moscone65 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:03 am In this video, they mention joe catroppa was killed. Hard to find info about joe catroppa but he killed a 23 year old kid in club paparazzi 2000 in Richmond hill back in the day as well as went to prison in Canada and Mexico for drugs. As of recently he lived in Oakville near Toronto with a landscaping company and made good money, driving around a Ferrari ect. Probably went to Mexico for something related to drugs. From what I could gather he was connected to the musitanos and/or commissos, based on his friends.
So at about the 13:15 mark of the Facebook Live chat this past Tuesday with Antonio Nicaso, the interviewer read the following question by a commenter:

Tobias Chaney · 11:21
Is Mr. Nicaso aware that Joe Catroppa was killed in mexico yesterday?

To see the above comment, go to https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink and then click on "20 comments" -- currently there are 20.

Nicaso responded that he had heard about the death of a "Joe Capra" (I think Nicaso might have gotten the name wrong) but was waiting to hear more about it and thus couldn't comment.

After visiting https://www.facebook.com/nomoredeath1/p ... 5792755824 and then clicking on the link there, I have the impression that Catroppa's murder in Mexico was discussed on social media -- Twitter in particular -- but that the murder is not widely known about except by his friends, some of whom might have posted online about it. I haven't been able to find any tweets, which either have been deleted or are hard to find because they don't contain Catroppa's surname.

Moscone65,

Do you have any confirmation that this Joe Catroppa 1) was indeed recently murdered in Mexico, and 2) is the same Catroppa who was charged, along with Vincenzo Femia, in the murder of Marco Nardozi back in 2000?

If you have confirmation, please don't post how you have confirmation -- I just want to know whether you do have confirmation. Should you have confirmation, I would like to indirectly reach out to Marco's sister to advise her of the news, as I don't know whether law enforcement would have contacted the Nardozis in such a matter. Thanks in advance. If you don't want to comment, I entirely understand.
I don’t have confirmation per se but I will say this. I used to work as a waiter quite a few years back, and one of the old managers of club paparazzi 2000 (it was already closed at the time) used to come in and we would talk. So from him I know that this Joey catroppa is the same guy with the company that lived in oakville. Also, there is a gossip website called the dirty. Com or some stupid thing like that where you can find some stuff posted about him, even if it’s taken with a grain of salt. However I cannot confirm if this is the exact same Joey catroppa that was killed since I never talked with joe. It highly seems to be the same one though, no other joe catroppas involved with drug dealing/Mexico around here.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
Thanks. I’m not sure either about the Joe Catroppa allegedly murdered in Mexico, but an online obituary for a Joseph Catroppa Jr. was published earlier today — here’s the link:

https://memorials.vesciofuneralhome.com ... h/4350555/
AM434
Straightened out

Post by AM434 »

NickleCity wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:37 pm In this interview of Antonio Nicaso by Conrad Collaco from CBC Hamilton, which brought to our attention by Antimafia in the Angelo Musitano Hit thread, Nicaso says some interesting things about the Canadian mob war and how groups in Hamilton/Southern Ontario have been rebuilding their historic ties to the Buffalo mob. https://www.facebook.com/cbchamilton/vi ... 7083459691
Interesting interview, thanks for posting.

Just some clarification regarding the initiation ceremony in Canada involving undercover fed- so it was an undercover agent being initiated into the Bonnano Crime Family and the ceremony took place in Canada and Buffalo crime family members were present?

Do we know how many Bonnano and Buffalo crime family members were present?

Is that odd that both families present for the initiation ceremony?
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

AM434 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:05 am
NickleCity wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:37 pm In this interview of Antonio Nicaso by Conrad Collaco from CBC Hamilton, which brought to our attention by Antimafia in the Angelo Musitano Hit thread, Nicaso says some interesting things about the Canadian mob war and how groups in Hamilton/Southern Ontario have been rebuilding their historic ties to the Buffalo mob. https://www.facebook.com/cbchamilton/vi ... 7083459691
Interesting interview, thanks for posting.

Just some clarification regarding the initiation ceremony in Canada involving undercover fed- so it was an undercover agent being initiated into the Bonnano Crime Family and the ceremony took place in Canada and Buffalo crime family members were present?

Do we know how many Bonnano and Buffalo crime family members were present?

Is that odd that both families present for the initiation ceremony?
i don't know in north america but in sicily it happens frequently that multiple families are present for initiation ceremonies