General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Coloboy
Straightened out

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Coloboy »

Man... Great story villain. Really shows how much power Ricca had at the peak.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Here is a question for Villain and others - Saverio Pollaci was indicted alongside Frankie Yale for the murder of Dion O'Banion. What role would Ricca have played at this time if he was apparently this emissary? Would he be essentially shipping these assassins in and out? From what I've read at that time, the mafia families/clans were essentially all borrowing hitters from out of town who could do hits in public, then be gone before the cops knew anything.

I was not aware Pollaci was killed near or in Chicago nor that it was Vito Genovese with help from Ricca

Ricca clearly had the higher mafia pedigree than Accardo - and the most connections. That's really making me believe Accardo was always his #2 and never an equal.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:37 pm Here is a question for Villain and others - Saverio Pollaci was indicted alongside Frankie Yale for the murder of Dion O'Banion. What role would Ricca have played at this time if he was apparently this emissary? Would he be essentially shipping these assassins in and out? From what I've read at that time, the mafia families/clans were essentially all borrowing hitters from out of town who could do hits in public, then be gone before the cops knew anything.

I was not aware Pollaci was killed near or in Chicago nor that it was Vito Genovese with help from Ricca

Ricca clearly had the higher mafia pedigree than Accardo - and the most connections. That's really making me believe Accardo was always his #2 and never an equal.
This was in 1924 - before Capone succeeded Torrio as head of the Outfit. At that time Ricca was still working for Esposito and it's not known if he had met Capone yet. Saverio Pollaccia was the consigliere for Joe Masseria, and Yale was a caporegime. I doubt they would have been involved in the O'Banion hit. The three men who met with O'Banion are usually described as a short man in between two taller men, but the witness said the man in the middle who shook hands with O'Banion was taller than the others. Yale was short. Pollaccia appears to have been the consigliere until 1932, when he was killed. Gentile said it was arranged by Vito Genovese, but Lucky Luciano was the boss so it couldn't have happened without his order and approval - especially for someone so high-ranking. Ricca undoubtedly knew his fellow Neapolitan Genovese (Risigliano is about a 30 minute drive from Naples), but we've all seen that famous photo of Ricca with Luciano and Meyer Lansky.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:37 pm Here is a question for Villain and others - Saverio Pollaci was indicted alongside Frankie Yale for the murder of Dion O'Banion. What role would Ricca have played at this time if he was apparently this emissary? Would he be essentially shipping these assassins in and out? From what I've read at that time, the mafia families/clans were essentially all borrowing hitters from out of town who could do hits in public, then be gone before the cops knew anything.

Based on the files I have read, I think you are right about Ricca/Accardo.

The only exception I would say is it does seem by the late 1960’s in the years preceding Riccas death, Accardo had gotten to a level where he was “de facto” on the same level as Ricca. Ricca still had the title and could overrule him I am sure, but a lot of FBI stuff basically shows them as a duo running the outfit by 67/68.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

The only info which i currently have regarding the first contact between Capone and Ricca is the January 1927 photo of Riccas wedding, which means that by 1925/26 they probably made contact. I also dont know the exact date when Ricca quit his job at the Bella Napoli and went to work at the Hawthorne Hotel at 4823 22nd Street, Cicero. They didnt use the Lexington until 1928.

Previously or during the early 20s Ricca allegedly took legitimate employment at the Dante Movie Theatre at 815 W. Taylor St (this was before his job at the Bella Napoli) and in January of 1925, Riccas father back home has passed away (in prison?) at the age of 55.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:31 pm
Villain wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:07 pm Speaking about Riccas travels on the east coast, theres also one legend (dont remember the exact year) regarding Ricca having an argument in New York with an unknown individual, allegedly associated to one of the crime families, since that same individual insulted Ricca by calling him “waiter.” The guy allegedly told Ricca to pour him some more wine, and continued calling him “waiter.” The joke obviously came from Ricca’s nickname which was the “Waiter” because of his previous work at the Bella Napoli Café, and so shortly after, the cops found a nude torso of a man in a suitcase, which was dumped near some train station in NY. The head, arms and legs had been cut off from the torso with a very sharp tool, probably a knife, and the murder was never pinned on Ricca or any other gangster from the New York area at the time.
"Now go home and get your corkscrew"
Sorry I just saw this :lol: and dont forget the napkin :lol:
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Some additional info on Ricca...

- by 1930, Ricca had such a minor official police record that it amazed even the other gangsters in the organization. But that same year, the government had a close surveillance over some of the top gangsters in town after the publicized assassination of Chicago Tribune reporter Alfred Jake Lingle. So one day Chicago racketeers Ted Newberry, Jake Guzik, Dennis Cooney, Peter Fusco, Salvatore Loverde, Eddie Vogel and Paul Ricca took a train to New York to watch a boxing match. But on their way, the train was stopped by the police and ordered the gangsters out. The cops also found a briefcase which contained $60,000 on which the gangsters planned to place a bet on the Sharkey-Schmeling fight. Later they were all released.

- on November 4, 1930, Ricca and several other associates were arrested in a speakeasy at 901 S. Halsted, which was owned by Frank Nitto. Ricca was arrested in that joint while in the company of three state legislators and several other members of the Capone gang, including Murray Humphreys, Ralph Pierce, Frank Rio and also State Representative Roland Libonati, attorney Saul Tannenbaum, Alderman and State Legislator Al Prignano, and also State Legislators Frank Novelle and Tony Pintozzi. Later an army of politicians rushed to the police station to get the prisoners released, including City Sealer Dan Serritella, Senator James Leonardo and Alderman William Pacelli. So after several court appearances, eventually all of the defendants were released.

- in June 1934, Ricca visited New York and had a meeting with Genovese member Frank Costello and they allegedly established a very good business relationship and once they allegedly got arrested during a raid in a Blue Island gambling place.

- by November 22, 1935, Ricca age 37, 5300 West Jackson Boulevard, was owner of the Playhouse Theatre and applied for insurance in the Northwestern National Life Insurance Company. Three years later Ricca applied to the Equitable Life Assurance Society for a retirement annuity and he even gave applications for beneficial membership in the Italo-American Union formerly known as Unione Siciliano.

- in 1935, the Chicago press carried an article to the effect that Frank Nitto and Paul Ricca had been placed under police surveillance as leaders of the revived Cammora to control gambling, bootlegging, and all other rackets in Chicago.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Great to see the details regarding Ricca. While we have a good picture of the stature and respect that Ricca enjoyed within Mafia circles, it's also good to continue to revisit Capone as well. We know of course about Capone's links to Yale and that he was kicking up large sums of money to Masseria before he was made. Looking over Gentile's Vito di Capomafia, we have the account of the 1931 national Mafia meeting in Chicago under Maranzano (already discussed in the forums of course). Gentile was marked for elimination by Maranzano for some infraction (Gentile claimed that he no longer recalled what exactly), and Capone stepped and successfully interceded on Gentile's behalf (which in itself attests to Capone's respect and stature in the Mafia world, as well as his political acumen and skill as peace maker). When Gentile met with Capone to discuss the issue, Capone recognized his face and was trying to place where he knew Gentile from. He asked Gentile if he had ever been in his tabarin (a cabaret or nightlife spot) before, and Gentile replied that he had years earlier with Michele Merlo and Diamond Joe (who he described as a "co-godparent/comrade and fraternal friend" of Merlo -- which I think has been noted previously as evidence that Esposito was an inducted member of Merlo's Borgata). Capone then replied "Now I know who you are".

The passage stands out to me as suggesting that Capone's ties to the Chicago Borgata were closer than we might assume, and longer standing. I'm thinking that this points (suggestively at least) to close ties between the Colosimo/Torrio organization, already underscored by that famous photo of Colosimo/Torrio fraternizing with Merlo and his men.

Here is the relevant passage from Gentile, page 113:
free picture upload
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:35 am Great to see the details regarding Ricca. While we have a good picture of the stature and respect that Ricca enjoyed within Mafia circles, it's also good to continue to revisit Capone as well. We know of course about Capone's links to Yale and that he was kicking up large sums of money to Masseria before he was made. Looking over Gentile's Vito di Capomafia, we have the account of the 1931 national Mafia meeting in Chicago under Maranzano (already discussed in the forums of course). Gentile was marked for elimination by Maranzano for some infraction (Gentile claimed that he no longer recalled what exactly), and Capone stepped and successfully interceded on Gentile's behalf (which in itself attests to Capone's respect and stature in the Mafia world, as well as his political acumen and skill as peace maker). When Gentile met with Capone to discuss the issue, Capone recognized his face and was trying to place where he knew Gentile from. He asked Gentile if he had ever been in his tabarin (a cabaret or nightlife spot) before, and Gentile replied that he had years earlier with Michele Merlo and Diamond Joe (who he described as a "co-godparent/comrade and fraternal friend" of Merlo -- which I think has been noted previously as evidence that Esposito was an inducted member of Merlo's Borgata). Capone then replied "Now I know who you are".

The passage stands out to me as suggesting that Capone's ties to the Chicago Borgata were closer than we might assume, and longer standing. I'm thinking that this points (suggestively at least) to close ties between the Colosimo/Torrio organization, already underscored by that famous photo of Colosimo/Torrio fraternizing with Merlo and his men.

free picture upload
I think perhaps a more precise translation of "Ora so bene chi sei" is "Now I know well how you are", which captures even more of the nuance.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Good stuff Polack and thanks for the details. I knew that Capone once saved Gentiles life but i never read about this.

Some time ago I asked a question on whether Capone continued the "tradition" by sending cash back to NY, meaning it is quite possible that Torrio or even Colosimo previously did the same thing. (although i highly doubt about Colosimo since he started out of nothing in Chicago but his alliance with Torrio mightve changed things)
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

The more I read about Ricca at this time, the more I believe it is the most likely scenario that he was indeed the boss of the organization immediately after Capone and not Nitti.

Documents that villain has posted, as well as other sources prove that Paul Ricca was certainly Al Capone’s most trusted emissary to the New York families. It seems he spent a lot of time working with them in the late 20s and early 30s. It is a big deal to send somebody that can speak for you directly and discuss business items. He sent Ricca, not Nitti. What does this say about their relationship?

It looks possible that Frank Nitto was a true Front boss. And I don’t mean an operational day to day boss that actually called shots such as a Giancana or Aiuppa, I mean he simply took orders from Ricca, Humphreys, Guzik, Campagna and the like. ( I don’t think that “chairman of the board” role that Ricca and later Accardo would fill existed yet. Ricca was most likely very involved in running the day today at this point in time. ) my two cents
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:40 am
PolackTony wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:35 am Great to see the details regarding Ricca. While we have a good picture of the stature and respect that Ricca enjoyed within Mafia circles, it's also good to continue to revisit Capone as well. We know of course about Capone's links to Yale and that he was kicking up large sums of money to Masseria before he was made. Looking over Gentile's Vito di Capomafia, we have the account of the 1931 national Mafia meeting in Chicago under Maranzano (already discussed in the forums of course). Gentile was marked for elimination by Maranzano for some infraction (Gentile claimed that he no longer recalled what exactly), and Capone stepped and successfully interceded on Gentile's behalf (which in itself attests to Capone's respect and stature in the Mafia world, as well as his political acumen and skill as peace maker). When Gentile met with Capone to discuss the issue, Capone recognized his face and was trying to place where he knew Gentile from. He asked Gentile if he had ever been in his tabarin (a cabaret or nightlife spot) before, and Gentile replied that he had years earlier with Michele Merlo and Diamond Joe (who he described as a "co-godparent/comrade and fraternal friend" of Merlo -- which I think has been noted previously as evidence that Esposito was an inducted member of Merlo's Borgata). Capone then replied "Now I know who you are".

free picture upload
I think perhaps a more precise translation of "Ora so bene chi sei" is "Now I know well how you are", which captures even more of the nuance.
Due to iPhone autocorrect the above contains a critical typo. It should read "Now I know well who* you are".
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Coloboy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:05 pm The more I read about Ricca at this time, the more I believe it is the most likely scenario that he was indeed the boss of the organization immediately after Capone and not Nitti.

Documents that villain has posted, as well as other sources prove that Paul Ricca was certainly Al Capone’s most trusted emissary to the New York families. It seems he spent a lot of time working with them in the late 20s and early 30s. It is a big deal to send somebody that can speak for you directly and discuss business items. He sent Ricca, not Nitti. What does this say about their relationship?

It looks possible that Frank Nitto was a true Front boss. And I don’t mean an operational day to day boss that actually called shots such as a Giancana or Aiuppa, I mean he simply took orders from Ricca, Humphreys, Guzik, Campagna and the like. ( I don’t think that “chairman of the board” role that Ricca and later Accardo would fill existed yet. Ricca was most likely very involved in running the day today at this point in time. ) my two cents
I think there's a lot of general agreement here on Ricca, and some thinking that Nitto may not even have been Ricca's underboss but a Capo.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:40 pm
Coloboy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:05 pm The more I read about Ricca at this time, the more I believe it is the most likely scenario that he was indeed the boss of the organization immediately after Capone and not Nitti.

I think there's a lot of general agreement here on Ricca, and some thinking that Nitto may not even have been Ricca's underboss but a Capo.
I don't think that Nitto was a front boss, but outsiders, law enforcement, and the press came to their own conclusions and the Outfit wasn't about to correct them. They just let them believe what they believe and often have a good laugh about it. At various times Frank Rio, Jack Guzik, and Murray Humphreys were all declared bosses of the Outfit, although they were not. The FBI believed it went dormant and when it went to open an investigation it called it "Re-Activation of the Capone Gang." That tells you how little was known about the structure of the Outfit.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:13 am
PolackTony wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:40 pm

I don't think that Nitto was a front boss, but outsiders, law enforcement, and the press came to their own conclusions and the Outfit wasn't about to correct them. They just let them believe what they believe and often have a good laugh about it. At various times Frank Rio, Jack Guzik, and Murray Humphreys were all declared bosses of the Outfit, although they were not. The FBI believed it went dormant and when it went to open an investigation it called it "Re-Activation of the Capone Gang." That tells you how little was known about the structure of the Outfit.
You think Nitto was an underboss to Ricca (perhaps after Rio), or was just a Capo?