The Chicago Cheese War

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: The Chicago Cheese War

Post by Antiliar »

I also believe it's possible that Ralph Capone was the first capo (it looks like this is the equivalent of what you call a district boss) of the Aiuppa crew. If so, let's figure out a timeline. He left prison in February 1934 and he moved to Mercer, Wisconsin, around June 1942. Capone reportedly owned the Paddock Lounge at 4833 Cermak Road when it was raided in November 1939, so if accurate he still had a presence there at that time. The problem identifying Charlie Fischetti's connections is that none of the articles mentioning him from the 1930s and 40s have him in association with other Chicago Italian mobsters, like his arrest with Marcus Looney and Murray Humphreys. In 1942 his address was 3100 Sheridan Blvd, which is probably the same as 3100 Sheridan Road, which is close to the Near North Side. So aside from ordering Aiuppa around, unless you have more, we don't have any association with Cicero or Melrose Park Italians. (Although I did notice one of the visitors to celebrate his birthday party at his other home in Miami in 1939 was Willie Heeny, and other items show a connection to Claude Maddox and Joe Corngold.) To me, it strongly suggests that Fischetti was Aiuppa's superior in Cicero/Melrose Park. He died in 1951, and that's a good time for Aiuppa to have succeeded him.

So my tentative line of succession is:
Ralph Capone, 1931-1942
Charlie Fischetti, 1942-1951
Joseph Aiuppa, 1951-1972
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:41 pm
Antiliar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:20 pm
Villain wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:01 am I know that some of the guys will disagree with me but this is how i currently look at the old North Side mob...

James DeGeorge territorial boss 1931/32 - 1947/48 (besides the North Side, DeGeorge also had huge influence around northwest Indiana and possibly few interests around Chicago Heights/C City, and also in Rockford)

Capos: Thomas ONeglia (Rogers Park, Lake County and Near North Side), Jasper Matranga (Near North Side and possibly Grand), Nick DeJohn(Grand Av), Tony Pinelli (Near North Side and Taylor St)(possible capo)

Thomas Oneglia capo under DeGeorge until 1943 and Jasper Matranga until 1945.

In 1944/45 Nick DeJohn was in Dallas.

Tony Pinelli fled the city in 1945.

In 1945 Ross Prio and the three Doms joined Accardo/Caponites

That same year or 1945, Vincent Benevento replaced some of the previous guys and became capo but fled the city the next year and was later killed. (Accardo was allegedly still the underboss for Charlie Fischetti at the time and Benevento allegedly conspired against him-Accardo)

Later DeJohn also fled the city and was killed in 1947.

The Fischettis took over the late O'Neglia's Lake County area

In 1947/48, DeGeorge took a step back and later transferred to Wisconsin and Prio became the new major capo for the North Side under Accardo

In 1952/53 Pinelli was brought back to Chicago and became a capo of the northwest Indiana crew under the jurisdiction of the non-Sicilian Chicago Heights faction. (hence DeGeorge's former interests) (Morgano used be Rush St but later ended up under Pinelli in Indiana, same as Zizzo who in turn was Taylor St)
Yes, we definitely don't agree on this :lol:

The way I understand it, the territorial bosses are UNDER the capos. For example, Phil Bacino was in charge of Calumet City, so he was the territorial boss of CC. He was also operating under the authority of the capo of Chicago Heights. Rocco Pranno was the territorial boss of Stone Park, but under the authority of Sam Battaglia, the capo. CI's often refer to capos as bosses, but over larger territory. They're also pretty consistent that there's a succession of capos and I've never seen anything from after the time the FBI got serious that claim that Charlie Fischetti was ever boss of the entire Outfit. He was definitely someone of importance, but we're never told exactly what he was. One doc says he used to send out Joe Aiuppa on errands, so my conjecture is that he was probably the capo who preceded Aiuppa. The document I posted also makes it clear that Matranga was the capo before DeGeorge. So we'll have to agree to disagree, and even when we disagree I still appreciate you're thoughts!
I didnt hear you disagreeing with me when i corrected you on Prio lol...just kidding..Thanks bud, same thoughts here 8-) (in time, ill show you more than few evidences regarding Fischetti and Battaglia/Pranno or if it was Ralph who preceded Aiuppa etc.) Common man back in the days you and i backed that Fischetti thing with many evidences...you know that i love these types of convos and i dont want to finish it with the "agree to disagree" exit...lets get to the bottom of it. Also, i think you are confusing territorial and district bosses....but lets save that for next time since i have to prepare for you coach lol
Just on the nomenclature of territorial and district bosses:

Ovid Demaris used the term "district boss" in Captive City , but gives no explanation of the term. He used it in the context of explaining how whacking a lower level guy didn't require approval by the admin but simply a "thumbs up from a district boss".

FBI Agent Elaine Smith attributed the term "territory boss" to Ken Eto during a conversation he had with her when he was recovering from his botched hit. He didn't think that Campise would be in trouble for fucking up, as Campise had been made for a long time and was related to the Civellas in KC, who Eto describes as the "territory bosses" there under Chicago control.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Additionally, Eto referred to Solano as "the Old Man", reminding me that the supposedly made informant cited by John Hagedorn in his book also referred to Lombardo as "the Old Man". Maybe this was just a general euphemism for the capo or territorial boss.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:01 pm Additionally, Eto referred to Solano as "the Old Man", reminding me that the supposedly made informant cited by John Hagedorn in his book also referred to Lombardo as "the Old Man". Maybe this was just a general euphemism for the capo or territorial boss.
Good point.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

One more point. SA Smith also describes Solano, Infelice, and Ferriola as "territorial bosses".

(Don't mean to divert the original topic of this thread on a tangent.)
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:07 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:01 pm Additionally, Eto referred to Solano as "the Old Man", reminding me that the supposedly made informant cited by John Hagedorn in his book also referred to Lombardo as "the Old Man". Maybe this was just a general euphemism for the capo or territorial boss.
Good point.

From Smith's book "Gun in my Gucci".
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

I want to get one thing straight...are we talking about the term or the position being non-existent?

Also, can some1 pls find the chart made by Eto only regarding the North Side crew? (Not the one regarding the whole Outfit)
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

This is a "territorial boss" or call it whatever you want....these are from 1959 and 1962 when Battaglia became/was the overlord of the whole west side for Giancana. During those days both Alderisio and Pranno answered to Battaglia and controlled their own crews with made guys beneath them. In plane words capos like Alderisio, Cerone etc were under Battaglia, the top rep for the whole west side

Another example is Frank LaPorte who in turn also had two or three capos beneath him such as Morgano and Catuara. DeGeorge was in the same situation also...
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:20 pm I've never seen anything from after the time the FBI got serious that claim that Charlie Fischetti was ever boss of the entire Outfit. He was definitely someone of importance, but we're never told exactly what he was.
Rocco Fish was capo and was succeeded by Aiuppa, while Charlie was acting boss.

When the FBI became serious (late 50s), the Chi informants that they had at the time or later, were either low level soldiers back in the 1940s or simple associates. That one file regarding Campagna and Capezio being bosses is a great example regarding the confusion and lesser knowledge of the inner workings at the time, but still we have the sources to create at least one general picture.

Few files that I managed to find with a quick search...there are also many confirmations from the Kefauver hearings and also numerous newspaper articles...Fischetti was sending Aiuppa because Charlie was the boss. During the mid 40s Ralph began to spend his time in Wisconsin, while Aiuppa was being groomed probably by Rocco Fischetti (capo after Ralph while Charlie was acting boss) and Maddox (Aiuppas first boss who in turn brought him in the Outfit). I never lie regarding these type of stuff...

(in the last file the NY informant is probably confusing Rocco with Charles, since in 1962 Rocco was everything but retired while Charlie was already dead, although he was allegedly the one who by the late 1940s became semi retired boss, according to witnesses and investigators. Rocco was a capo but he was far from being retired at the time (1962) according to problems with Mike Coppola etc. and Rocco retired one year before his death by selling most of his interests to Les Kruse. Also, Charlie Fish was probably first generation, while Accardo was second same as their hierarchy at the time)
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:35 am This is a "territorial boss" or call it whatever you want....these are from 1959 and 1962 when Battaglia became/was the overlord of the whole west side for Giancana. During those days both Alderisio and Pranno answered to Battaglia and controlled their own crews with made guys beneath them. In plane words capos like Alderisio, Cerone etc were under Battaglia, the top rep for the whole west side

Another example is Frank LaPorte who in turn also had two or three capos beneath him such as Morgano and Catuara. DeGeorge was in the same situation also...
I think this is the most important thing of course -- if you had capos in charge of made guys answering to another layer below the admin. Maybe in LCN terms Battaglia and Pranno both had the same rank as capidecine, but in terms of local Chicago organizational structure it's clear that Battaglia was higher up the chain of command. Laporte and Morgano seems like another clear case.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:42 am
Villain wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:35 am This is a "territorial boss" or call it whatever you want....these are from 1959 and 1962 when Battaglia became/was the overlord of the whole west side for Giancana. During those days both Alderisio and Pranno answered to Battaglia and controlled their own crews with made guys beneath them. In plane words capos like Alderisio, Cerone etc were under Battaglia, the top rep for the whole west side

I think this is the most important thing of course -- if you had capos in charge of made guys answering to another layer below the admin. Maybe in LCN terms Battaglia and Pranno both had the same rank as capidecine, but in terms of local Chicago organizational structure it's clear that Battaglia was higher up the chain of command. Laporte and Morgano seems like another clear case.
Nicely said. Even though this info comes from a different family (Pittsburgh), can this be the answer to our question?

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:50 am

Nicely said. Even though this info comes from a different family (Pittsburgh), can this be the answer to our question?

Yeah, I still have questions as to how to interpret this reference to "capo squadrone". So far as I can tell that CI doesn't also designate others as capidecine/regimi. So it doesn't seem like they were saying "yeah we got guys who are caporegime and others who are caposquadrone, and these are two distinct ranks or positions". I read it as the CI not recognizing the terms capodecina or caporegime due to these terms not being in regular use in Pittsburgh at the time, and just offering "caposquadron" as his own personal take on what maybe were called "team leader" or "crew leader" etc.

Do we have any other references from Pittsburgh or elsewhere to the term squadrone/caposquadrone?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:01 am
Villain wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:50 am

Yeah, I still have questions as to how to interpret this reference to "capo squadrone". So far as I can tell that CI doesn't also designate others as capidecine/regimi. So it doesn't seem like they were saying "yeah we got guys who are caporegime and others who are caposquadrone, and these are two distinct ranks or positions". I read it as the CI not recognizing the terms capodecina or caporegime due to these terms not being in regular use in Pittsburgh at the time, and just offering "caposquadron" as his own personal take on what maybe were called "team leader" or "crew leader" etc.

Do we have any other references from Pittsburgh or elsewhere to the term squadrone/caposquadrone?
I agree again, and none that i know of...maybe we should simply call them "top rep for the west side" for example...
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Just to make the situation regarding Fischetti/Ralph C/Aiuppa even more complicated, i also strongly believe that Joe Fusco was capo from around the mid 1930s until the mid or late 50s. He controlled Ralph Buglio (made guy), Rocco DeStefano (made guy), Vito DeStefano (possible made guy), Frank DeStefano (associate), Frank Buglio (associate and Ralphs bro), Nick Kramer, Max Dolgin etc.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

While much remains unclear, it's also important to note again that these same individuals who seemed to be top level capos with lower ranking capos under them were identified as sitting on the Outfit's "Committee", showing again that their rank and authority was above the other capos. Presumably these top level capos were then responsible for disseminating the decisions of the admin/Committee to the crew bosses under them.

Not to make too much out of this, but I think back to Gerry DeNono's statement referencing different "families" 'in Chicago. Of course DeNono wasn't made and his actual knowledge of the organizational structure was likely limited, but it's still useful to have a glimpse into the way the Outfit was perceived internally by those on the ground level.