The Chicago Cheese War

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: The Chicago Cheese War

Post by Villain »

Besides John DIBella being the owner of Grande Cheese, as Anti stated, still the company's president was Fred Romano, who in turn together with two other frontmen Tony Paterno and Gabriel Spataro controlled the firm. It seems during the conflict the so-called management of Grande Cheese changed several times, including once in 1946, when one Giuseppe Uddo of New Orleans became the front man, and later was succeeded by another front man known as Eugene Taormina.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Anti ive also seen some info that Tony Capezio was allegedly behind the Carl Carramusa hit...dont know how true is that after seeing your info regarding DeJohns involvment
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

Great job breaking down an obscure chapter in Outfit history.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

I have one question...how many years was DeGeorge's nephew (DeJohn) younger than him? 10 years? Its hard to believe that his nephew was above him at the time...
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:30 pm I have one question...how many years was DeGeorge's nephew (DeJohn) younger than him? 10 years? Its hard to believe that his nephew was above him at the time...
I had the same question.

I have Vincenzo Di Giorgi born 1899 in Ribera, while I have Nicola Di Giovanni born 1909 in Chicago (to Giovanni Di Giovanni of Palazzo Adriano, Palermo and Pietrina Inzerra of Caltanissetta).

Also from what I saw it seems that Michele Merlo was a witness on Pietrina DeJohn's record of naturalization in 1923.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Thanks for the additional info Polack.

It is also interesting to note that when DiBella transferred the Grande Cheese to Wsconsin, besides Bonanno being his partner, story goes that Prio sold some of his shares to the Milwaukee family which also made them partners.

In addition, Gus Alex also began investing in another cheese operation at the same time when DiBella relocated the Grand Cheese in Wisconsin, and was known as the Berst Corporation Wholesalers of Cheese, located in Portage, Wisconsin, and was fronted by one Carl Berst. Later Alex invested in another cheese company but in Chicago known as the Ward Cheese Co. located at 1026 W. Polk St. and was ran by one John Fontana Sr., who in turn was a long time grocer.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:58 pm Thanks for the additional info Polack.

It is also interesting to note that when DiBella transferred the Grande Cheese to Wsconsin, besides Bonanno being his partner, story goes that Prio sold some of his shares to the Milwaukee family which also made them partners.

In addition, Gus Alex also began investing in another cheese operation at the same time when DiBella relocated the Grand Cheese in Wisconsin, and was known as the Berst Corporation Wholesalers of Cheese, located in Portage, Wisconsin, and was fronted by one Carl Berst. Later Alex invested in another cheese company but in Chicago known as the Ward Cheese Co. located at 1026 W. Polk St. and was ran by one John Fontana Sr., who in turn was a long time grocer.
I'm assuming this is the same Fontana family from the sub shop at Polk and Carpenter (next block over from the Ward Cheese location).
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:27 pm
Villain wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:58 pm Thanks for the additional info Polack.

I'm assuming this is the same Fontana family from the sub shop at Polk and Carpenter (next block over from the Ward Cheese location).
Could be
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:31 pm
Villain wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:30 pm I have one question...how many years was DeGeorge's nephew (DeJohn) younger than him? 10 years? Its hard to believe that his nephew was above him at the time...
I had the same question.

I have Vincenzo Di Giorgi born 1899 in Ribera, while I have Nicola Di Giovanni born 1909 in Chicago (to Giovanni Di Giovanni of Palazzo Adriano, Palermo and Pietrina Inzerra of Caltanissetta).

Also from what I saw it seems that Michele Merlo was a witness on Pietrina DeJohn's record of naturalization in 1923.
More food for thought: There was a Sam DiGIovanni in the Chicago Heights crew, and politician Fred Pacelli either married or was the son of a DiGiovanni. Nick DeJohn's mother was really Pietrina Inserra, same as Vincent "the Saint" Inserra.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:45 am
I had the same question.

More food for thought: There was a Sam DiGIovanni in the Chicago Heights crew, and politician Fred Pacelli either married or was the son of a DiGiovanni. Nick DeJohn's mother was really Pietrina Inserra, same as Vincent "the Saint" Inserra.
Good info.

Also, besides being known as the "Don", Benevento was once labelled as the “Cheese King” because of his enormous operations in the cheese business
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

I know that some of the guys will disagree with me but this is how i currently look at the old North Side mob...

James DeGeorge territorial boss 1931/32 - 1947/48 (besides the North Side, DeGeorge also had huge influence around northwest Indiana and possibly few interests around Chicago Heights/C City, and also in Rockford)

Capos: Thomas ONeglia (Rogers Park, Lake County and Near North Side), Jasper Matranga (Near North Side and possibly Grand), Nick DeJohn(Grand Av), Tony Pinelli (Near North Side and Taylor St)(possible capo)

Thomas Oneglia capo under DeGeorge until 1943 and Jasper Matranga until 1945.

In 1944/45 Nick DeJohn was in Dallas.

Tony Pinelli fled the city in 1945.

In 1945 Ross Prio and the three Doms joined Accardo/Caponites

That same year or 1945, Vincent Benevento replaced some of the previous guys and became capo but fled the city the next year and was later killed. (Accardo was allegedly still the underboss for Charlie Fischetti at the time and Benevento allegedly conspired against him-Accardo)

Later DeJohn also fled the city and was killed in 1947.

The Fischettis took over the late O'Neglia's Lake County area

In 1947/48, DeGeorge took a step back and later transferred to Wisconsin and Prio became the new major capo for the North Side under Accardo

In 1952/53 Pinelli was brought back to Chicago and became a capo of the northwest Indiana crew under the jurisdiction of the non-Sicilian Chicago Heights faction. (hence DeGeorge's former interests) (Morgano used be Rush St but later ended up under Pinelli in Indiana, same as Zizzo who in turn was Taylor St)
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:45 am
I had the same question.

"Black Sam" DiGiovanni of the Heights I believe was Nick DeJohn's cousin, as he seems to have been the son of a Giuseppe DiGiovanni of Pallazzo Adriano who was probably the brother of Nick's father Giovanni.

I haven't been able to establish any confirmed or potential link between Saint Inserra and DeJohn's mother. The parents of the former seems to have both been Palermitani (his mother was from Caccamo, father I'm still uncertain about), while Nick DeJohn's mother Pietrina was from Caltanissetta of course.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:06 pm It may have been the case that his issue was with Capezio and he wanted to run the crew. Accardo, Benevento, and the others were all Sicilians, but Capezio's parents hailed from Muro Lucano in Potenza, and perhaps his origin had something to do with his displeasure.
In regards to Grand Ave, interesting to note that both Smokes Aloisio and Jackie Cerone were also born in Chicago to parents from Muro Lucano.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:01 am I know that some of the guys will disagree with me but this is how i currently look at the old North Side mob...

James DeGeorge territorial boss 1931/32 - 1947/48 (besides the North Side, DeGeorge also had huge influence around northwest Indiana and possibly few interests around Chicago Heights/C City, and also in Rockford)

Capos: Thomas ONeglia (Rogers Park, Lake County and Near North Side), Jasper Matranga (Near North Side and possibly Grand), Nick DeJohn(Grand Av), Tony Pinelli (Near North Side and Taylor St)(possible capo)

That same year or 1945, Vincent Benevento replaced some of the previous guys and became capo but fled the city the next year and was later killed. (Accardo was allegedly still the underboss for Charlie Fischetti at the time and Benevento allegedly conspired against him-Accardo)

In 1947/48, DeGeorge took a step back and later transferred to Wisconsin and Prio became the new major capo for the North Side under Accardo

In 1952/53 Pinelli was brought back to Chicago and became a capo of the northwest Indiana crew under the jurisdiction of the non-Sicilian Chicago Heights faction. (hence DeGeorge's former interests) (Morgano used be Rush St but later ended up under Pinelli in Indiana, same as Zizzo who in turn was Taylor St)
Yes, we definitely don't agree on this :lol:

The way I understand it, the territorial bosses are UNDER the capos. For example, Phil Bacino was in charge of Calumet City, so he was the territorial boss of CC. He was also operating under the authority of the capo of Chicago Heights. Rocco Pranno was the territorial boss of Stone Park, but under the authority of Sam Battaglia, the capo. CI's often refer to capos as bosses, but over larger territory. They're also pretty consistent that there's a succession of capos and I've never seen anything from after the time the FBI got serious that claim that Charlie Fischetti was ever boss of the entire Outfit. He was definitely someone of importance, but we're never told exactly what he was. One doc says he used to send out Joe Aiuppa on errands, so my conjecture is that he was probably the capo who preceded Aiuppa. The document I posted also makes it clear that Matranga was the capo before DeGeorge. So we'll have to agree to disagree, and even when we disagree I still appreciate you're thoughts!
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:20 pm
Villain wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:01 am I know that some of the guys will disagree with me but this is how i currently look at the old North Side mob...

Yes, we definitely don't agree on this :lol:

The way I understand it, the territorial bosses are UNDER the capos. For example, Phil Bacino was in charge of Calumet City, so he was the territorial boss of CC. He was also operating under the authority of the capo of Chicago Heights. Rocco Pranno was the territorial boss of Stone Park, but under the authority of Sam Battaglia, the capo. CI's often refer to capos as bosses, but over larger territory. They're also pretty consistent that there's a succession of capos and I've never seen anything from after the time the FBI got serious that claim that Charlie Fischetti was ever boss of the entire Outfit. He was definitely someone of importance, but we're never told exactly what he was. One doc says he used to send out Joe Aiuppa on errands, so my conjecture is that he was probably the capo who preceded Aiuppa. The document I posted also makes it clear that Matranga was the capo before DeGeorge. So we'll have to agree to disagree, and even when we disagree I still appreciate you're thoughts!
I didnt hear you disagreeing with me when i corrected you on Prio lol...just kidding..Thanks bud, same thoughts here 8-) (in time, ill show you more than few evidences regarding Fischetti and Battaglia/Pranno or if it was Ralph who preceded Aiuppa etc.) Common man back in the days you and i backed that Fischetti thing with many evidences...you know that i love these types of convos and i dont want to finish it with the "agree to disagree" exit...lets get to the bottom of it. Also, i think you are confusing territorial and district bosses....but lets save that for next time since i have to prepare for you coach lol