General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:08 am Apart from the well documented connections to Luciano, I've wondered also about potential connections the Roberto/Emery/LaPorte mob had to the development of Calabrian OC. Roberto and LaPorte were of course from Sambiase which later in the 20th century was a hotbed of the 'Ndrangheta, and there's a great photo in Luzi's book of Emery and Roberto somewhere in Italy hanging out with their local "amici". I once found an article in Italian referencing an OC clan in Sambiase back in the 1890s. The article was written in the 1990s so it referred to this group as an "'ndrina" but it seems that authorities (if not the group itself) at the time referred to the group as part of the "Società di Camorristi".
Thanks for this and yeah back in the days some of the guys used to say that LaPortes was Calabrian while Ricca was Neapolitan since Ricca's home was in fact Ottaviano which is less than 30 km from Naples. Ricca's brother-in-law Enrico Iervolino was the long time Mayor of Ottaviano.

Regarding my previous question, I have a small doubt that Accardo was sending messages in southern Italy in 1974 (probably Sicily) but who knows, maybe he kept some of Riccas old contacts?!
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 am
PolackTony wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:08 am Apart from the well documented connections to Luciano, I've wondered also about potential connections the Roberto/Emery/LaPorte mob had to the development of Calabrian OC. Roberto and LaPorte were of course from Sambiase which later in the 20th century was a hotbed of the 'Ndrangheta, and there's a great photo in Luzi's book of Emery and Roberto somewhere in Italy hanging out with their local "amici". I once found an article in Italian referencing an OC clan in Sambiase back in the 1890s. The article was written in the 1990s so it referred to this group as an "'ndrina" but it seems that authorities (if not the group itself) at the time referred to the group as part of the "Società di Camorristi".
Thanks for this and yeah back in the days some of the guys used to say that LaPortes was Calabrian while Ricca was Neapolitan since Ricca's home was in fact Ottaviano which is less than 30 km from Naples. Ricca's brother-in-law Enrico Iervolino was the long time Mayor of Ottaviano.

Regarding my previous question, I have a small doubt that Accardo was sending messages in southern Italy in 1974 (probably Sicily) but who knows, maybe he kept some of Riccas old contacts?!
Given the connections to Sicilian narcotics traffickers in the past that you've identified, as well as apparent connections to Italian OC figures even in more recent decades, I'd imagine that Chicago always maintained some links to Italy.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:47 am
Villain wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 am

Given the connections to Sicilian narcotics traffickers in the past that you've identified, as well as apparent connections to Italian OC figures even in more recent decades, I'd imagine that Chicago always maintained some links to Italy.
I agree. I remember reading that once even Alex was seen in Rome i think while speaking to some "unknown" individuals
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

There may have been more connections to Sicily than we know about.

- A group of around 40 Sicilian men, many believed to be mayors, toured the US in late 1962 and visited US cities where mafia families were located. They initially arrived in Chicago where they were hosted by local Sicilians, including Wisconsin-based mafia member John DiBella, who had purchased Grande Cheese from Chicago mafia members Ross Prio and Tom Oneglia many years earlier.

- John DiBella was inducted into the mafia in Sicily, became a Bonanno member in NYC, then retired to Wisconsin where he ran Grande Cheese. He was a friend of Chicago mafia members Jim DeGeorge and Frank LoGalbo, who also lived in Wisconsin, as well as former Chicago members in Madison. Then there's the Prio / Oneglia connection. It's not surprising he would be part of the group's welcome party in Chicago.

- From Chicago, DiBella sent the Sicilian visitors to California, where they met with the leadership of the San Jose mafia family. San Jose capodecina Angelo Marino contacted mafia figures in Los Angeles and Las Vegas so that the Sicilian visitors could meet with mafiosi there. Marino also told a San Jose member informant that one of these Sicilian tourists was the Mayor of Palermo and an important mafia member in Sicily. This was surely Salvo Lima, who was at this time Mayor of Palermo. This detail and the Sicilian group's meetings with local mafia figures in Chicago and California suggest that many of these Sicilian tourists were mafia members themselves.

- Stefano Magaddino makes reference to this traveling group of Sicilians as well and they appear to have visited other mafia cities in the US aside from those mentioned above.

- It is likely some of the local "Sicilians" who met the touring group in Chicago were members of the Chicago family and probably included some of Chicago's leaders. It is impossible to say whether the Chicago welcome party included only Sicilians or if the San Jose informant assumed/generalized on this point. Either way, John DiBella would have been in a position to make a formal introduction between these men and Chicago mafia members as "amico nostra" given his relationship to both the Sicilian mafia and the Chicago family.

- If Tony Accardo was one of the local Chicago figures who met with the 40 Sicilian tourists, including the mafioso Mayor of Palermo Salvo Lima, this would have given him a whole range of important contacts in Sicily. And this is just one instance that we know about. Sicilians often visited the US and sometimes made a point to network with national mafia figures. Given how long Tony Accardo was a mafia leader in Chicago, it is difficult to know who all he may have made contact with, especially when you factor in his travels to NYC/NJ for Commission meetings and other national events.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:57 am There may have been more connections to Sicily than we know about.

- A group of around 40 Sicilian men, many believed to be mayors, toured the US in late 1962 and visited US cities where mafia families were located. They initially arrived in Chicago where they were hosted by local Sicilians, including Wisconsin-based mafia member John DiBella, who had purchased Grande Cheese from Chicago mafia members Ross Prio and Tom Oneglia many years earlier.

- John DiBella was inducted into the mafia in Sicily, became a Bonanno member in NYC, then retired to Wisconsin where he ran Grande Cheese. He was a friend of Chicago mafia members Jim DeGeorge and Frank LoGalbo, who also lived in Wisconsin, as well as former Chicago members in Madison. Then there's the Prio / Oneglia connection. It's not surprising he would be part of the group's welcome party in Chicago.

- From Chicago, DiBella sent the Sicilian visitors to California, where they met with the leadership of the San Jose mafia family. San Jose capodecina Angelo Marino contacted mafia figures in Los Angeles and Las Vegas so that the Sicilian visitors could meet with mafiosi there. Marino also told a San Jose member informant that one of these Sicilian tourists was the Mayor of Palermo and an important mafia member in Sicily. This was surely Salvo Lima, who was at this time Mayor of Palermo. This detail and the Sicilian group's meetings with local mafia figures in Chicago and California suggest that many of these Sicilian tourists were mafia members themselves.

- Stefano Magaddino makes reference to this traveling group of Sicilians as well and they appear to have visited other mafia cities in the US aside from those mentioned above.

- It is likely some of the local "Sicilians" who met the touring group in Chicago were members of the Chicago family and probably included some of Chicago's leaders. It is impossible to say whether the Chicago welcome party included only Sicilians or if the San Jose informant assumed/generalized on this point. Either way, John DiBella would have been in a position to make a formal introduction between these men and Chicago mafia members as "amico nostra" given his relationship to both the Sicilian mafia and the Chicago family.

- If Tony Accardo was one of the local Chicago figures who met with the 40 Sicilian tourists, including the mafioso Mayor of Palermo Salvo Lima, this would have given him a whole range of important contacts in Sicily. And this is just one instance that we know about. Sicilians often visited the US and sometimes made a point to network with national mafia figures. Given how long Tony Accardo was a mafia leader in Chicago, it is difficult to know who all he may have made contact with, especially when you factor in his travels to NYC/NJ for Commission meetings and other national events.
Super interesting, thanks.

Anyone from Castelvetrano on this "mission"? I ask because of course both the Accardi and Giangana families were Castelvetranesi and it would be interesting to note if they wound up meeting anyone with Mafia ties from there.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:45 pm
SolarSolano wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:28 pm
PolackTony wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:53 pm
SolarSolano wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:10 am Steve Annoreno may still be alive he was pushing 98 or something- story goes that he was shelved by Angelo LaPietra when he came out of prison in the early 80s. To cement that point Angelo actually stabbed Stevie in the chest - Calabrese Sr. discusses this on a wiretap with Doyle.

Steve left the rackets and ran Reno's Beef on the southside - they had two locations and were popular. I believe his cousin was Joe the Mule. Steve was a loanshark's loanshark.
I believe that he died a couple of years ago. I think his full name was Stephen Anthony Annoreno. Tony Annoreno should've been older than him by a year. Their father was also Tony Annoreno, whose parents were from Termini Imerese. So likely that all of these Annerino/Iannarino/Genero/Annoreno etc are all the same clan going back to Sicily.
Mola di Bari is where the Annorenos are from - Stevie Jr. is on the Facebook group.
Maybe from their mother's side? From what I can tell Stevie, Tony, and John's mother was Sally Annoreno, but I have been unable to confirm her maiden name or ancestry. She passed about 1986.
Antiliar pointed out that these probably aren't the same Steve and Tony Annorenos that we're interested in. I'd still bet that their lineage goes back to Termini though, as all of the Annerino/Annoreno (with numerous variations) that I've been able to confirm genealogies for go back to Termini Imerese.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:09 am
B. wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:57 am There may have been more connections to Sicily than we know about.

Super interesting, thanks.

Anyone from Castelvetrano on this "mission"? I ask because of course both the Accardi and Giangana families were Castelvetranesi and it would be interesting to note if they wound up meeting anyone with Mafia ties from there.
As far as I know, none of these important Sicilian tourists were identified aside from the inference to Salvo Lima and many being politicians.

I've wondered about Castelvetrano connections, too. The Gennas had a Castelvetranesi element and I have the following Chicago figures with heritage there:

Anthony Accardo
Vito Bascone
Anthony Campo
Salvatore Giancana
Pietro Montalbano
John Scalise

- Kansas City had an element of mafiosi from Castelvetrano, including the Mangiaracinas. Early Chicago figure Pietro Montalbano's mother was a Mangiaracina. Montalbano was identified by a paesano from Castelvetrano as a member of the mafia after Montalbano killed the man's brother.

- I'm surprised Castelvetrano hasn't played a larger role in US mafia history given the importance of Trapani province in the development of the US mafia. We know Castelvetrano has been hugely influential in the Sicilian mafia (i.e. the Messina Denaros), though I wonder what their influence was like in the 1800s and early 1900s. These Chicago names show that Castelvetranesi played an influential role in Chicago, at least indirectly, though how much Accardo and Giancana trace back to their mafia compaesani is something I haven't seen much about. It doesn't seem to have been important by the time they entered the family and rose through the ranks, but maybe there is history there.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

DiBella was connected to the old North Side mob aka DeGeorge/ONeglia/Prio with the cheese company and since almost all of the shareholders were killed except for Prio and DeGeorge, by 1949 Prio helped DiBella to transfer the company in Wisconsin and Prio probably remained as shareholder. DeGeorge already transferred to Wisconsin the previous year.

So my opinion is that these guys probably met with Prio and the remaining old North Side Sicilians, mainly because they were DiBellas first and last main contacts in Chicago, probably because he previously belonged to the opposition. But as you already said, theres great possibility that the visitors also met Accardo and they remained as his contacts in Italy/Sicily even throughout the 70s...it would be nice if we can find Pilottos destinations from his travels to Italy in 1974...

I have a small doubt that they met Giancana or Ricca, mainly because Mooney was mostly out of town in 62 and avoided any high profile contacts except the ones with his bosses and the commission. Also according to some reports, during Giancanas travels around Italy, he almost always avoived going to Sicily and i dont know why. As for Ricca, he already had his close contacts in Naples and Ottaviano. Dont forget that this is only a guess, meaning they mightve been present also, i dunno...

These meetings mightve been regarding the importation of legitimate products from Sicily and possibly narcotics. During those days Prio was huge in the world of legitimate enterprises, including food and these guys already had pizzerias around Chicago and Indiana regarding dope shipments. In fact, every Christmas Prio used to send all types of cheese to the houses of Ricca, Accardo, Giancana, Alex etc. That same year former Indiana capo Morgano was deported to Sicily also...just my two cents
Last edited by Villain on Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Don't forget that Joe Bonanno partnered with DiBella in the cheese company and that supposedly helped stop the violence.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:13 am Don't forget that Joe Bonanno partnered with DiBella in the cheese company and that supposedly helped stop the violence.
I agree
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

It is also interesting to note that Outfit member Richard Cain was possibly present in Palermo Sicily, in November 1972....

Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

According to Dominic Nuccio, during the 1940s conflict, his boss Ross Prio and others joined the wining faction (Capone Outfit) sometime in 1945 when Prio lost his main partner to the war, which means that Prio previously supported or belonged to the so-called "rebels"...

It is possible that Nuccio misremembered the year since the killings occurred in 1943, 1944 and later in 1946/47. O'Neglia was the first one to go in 1943 and according to sources, he was allegedly Prios main partner in various ventures such as the Willow Laundry Company which was located at 758 Willow St, the Grande Cheese Co (other North Side members were also partners in Grande) and they also operated a gas station and a parking lot.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 am It is also interesting to note that Outfit member Richard Cain was possibly present in Palermo Sicily, in November 1972....

Interesting, thanks. I doubt he was in Sicily visiting family, as it seems that his mother's parents (Olimpio Scalzitti and Vincenza Grossi) were most likely Abruzzesi.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:51 am According to Dominic Nuccio, during the 1940s conflict, his boss Ross Prio and others joined the wining faction (Capone Outfit) sometime in 1945 when Prio lost his main partner to the war, which means that Prio previously supported or belonged to the so-called "rebels"...

It is possible that Nuccio misremembered the year since the killings occurred in 1943, 1944 and later in 1946/47. O'Neglia was the first one to go in 1943 and according to sources, he was allegedly Prios main partner in various ventures such as the Willow Laundry Company which was located at 758 Willow St, the Grande Cheese Co (other North Side members were also partners in Grande) and they also operated a gas station and a parking lot.
Thanks. I wouldn't want to make too much out of the "joining the 'outfit'" statement here, but it makes one wonder if up until this conflict was crushed the former Northside family was still considered a quasi-indpendent entity under Outfit dominance.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:58 am
Villain wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 am It is also interesting to note that Outfit member Richard Cain was possibly present in Palermo Sicily, in November 1972....

Interesting, thanks. I doubt he was in Sicily visiting family, as it seems that his mother's parents (Olimpio Scalzitti and Vincenza Grossi) were most likely Abruzzesi.
Cain was Giancanas main rep around the world before and after Cains imprisonment. That same year Cain was also in Madrid, Spain, and Giancana allegedly gave him the financials to open up a front, something like a casino, for their narcotics and prostitution rackets. So like you already said, it seems Cain wasnt visiting family in Palermo at the time lol