News from Italy

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

motorfab
Full Patched

Re: News from Italy

Post by motorfab »

My bad it seems that it was in July, but the news is only coming out now?
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

motorfab wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:30 am Oh boy, they don't laugh when they bust Europol, that's 3 in 3 days
no, this was on july
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

scagghiuni wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:38 am
motorfab wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:30 am Oh boy, they don't laugh when they bust Europol, that's 3 in 3 days
no, this was on july
Yes, I saw the date only after my initial message, my mistake. But thanks for sharing anyway.

Btw, I searched for French arrested the other day but saw nothing special. There was a press conference yesterday, of which I only saw an extract, and the prosecutor only says that they were guys from the south of France (so not necessarily Corsicans)
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Gaetano Riina, brother of the boss Totò, remains in prison

No home detention or deferral of the sentence due to "infirmity" for Gaetano Riina, younger brother of the "head of the Cosa Nostra" Totò. This was established by the supervisory court of Turin, which rejected a request from its lawyer. Gaetano Riina, 87, originally from Corleone, is being held in the Vallette prison, on the outskirts of the Piedmontese capital, under high surveillance.

Health problems compatible with imprisonment

Convicted by the Court of Appeal of Naples for having participated in a mafia-type association, according to what is learned Riina should finish serving his sentence in 2023. The court has in fact judged that the health problems he suffers from - was also hospitalized for a month in the detainees department of the Molinette hospital - are compatible with imprisonment in the Turin facility.

"We are very disappointed. We expected a different outcome. We are talking about an 87-year-old man with serious health problems", commented the lawyer Vincenzo Coluccio, who together with his colleague Giuseppe La Barbera assisted Gaetano Riina in the proceedings.

Other instances of release from prison

Riina asked several times in the past to be allowed out of prison. The first two attempts failed in 2019, when the judges emphasized the "offensive nature of the crimes committed". Last spring another application was presented also in the wake of the Covid emergency.

Arrested in 2011, it appeared to the carabinieri that Riina was working on the reorganization of the Cosa Nostra in Corleone. Years later the accusation of having entered into an agreement with the Casalesi Camorra clan for an illicit trafficking of fruit and vegetables was added.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

Three suspected Sicilian mafia members arrested in Belgium

The men are suspected of a series of murders, attempted murders and other serious crimes between 2015 and 2018, reportedly including arms trade and drugs trafficking.

The case includes at least two murders and one attempted murder in Liège, and two murders and a double attempted murder in Favara, a municipality in the Sicilian province of Agrigento.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belg ... rafficking.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

BELGIAN AND ITALIAN AUTHORITIES ARREST EIGHT SUSPECTED MEMBERS OF THE COSA NOSTRA

https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/ ... osa-nostra
AM434
Straightened out

Post by AM434 »

Thanks for posting, anyone have any more background info on the Mafia war they are referencing?
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

The Italian mafia has a new recruitment weapon: the TikTok

Young members of Camorra, a criminal organization allied with the Sicilian mafia, are turning to TikTok to promote their lifestyle and recruit new members.

In May, a video was published on TikTok that caught the attention of the Italian community. It was recorded inside a prison , which was later identified as the high-security wing of Avellino prison, 50 kilometers from Naples, the birthplace of the Italian mafia.

One of the prisoners managed to smuggle a cell phone into his cell, subsequently recording a TikTok and posting it on the social network. The video quickly went viral in Italy and was removed from TikTok, although it is still available on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArfgYYU ... =emb_title

According to VICE Italy, this is one of the many cases in which young people in the ranks of Camorra, a criminal organization allied with the Sicilian mafia, turn to TikTok to publicize their lifestyle and assert themselves before the rest of the world. The trend has been increasing lately.

However, there is no way to prove that these TikTok users are in fact members of Camorra, as there is no official list of members.

Whereas in the past members of Camorra came from only a few Italian families, today young aspiring mobsters quickly gain fear and respect with demonstrations of street violence , writes VICE. In addition, young people are now looking for the limelight, countering the tendency to hide their criminal activities.

Since the early 2000s, more and more leaders of older Camorra clans have been arrested, prompting children and young people to take their places . These groups of younger mobsters are known for acts of random and unjustified violence, seeking to cause fear and panic.

Traditionally, the Camorra clans managed violence rationally, so as not to lose the respect of the local population, stresses Professor Luciano Brancaccio, who wrote a book on the subject.

Many of the young Camorra who used TikTok boast their weapons, tattoos, cars, motorcycles and other luxury items. The videos are accompanied by songs in the local dialect, whose lyrics often mention criminal activity. However, none of the videos explicitly show crimes to be committed. In contrast, the publications' descriptions imply their affiliation with organized crime.

Marcello Ravveduto, professor of Digital Public History at the University of Salerno, said the Mafia's use of TikTok to spread his message makes sense: “We often forget that criminal organizations and social networks have one important thing in common: a network ” .

Thus, as Camorra's visibility on TikTok increases, so does its recruitment group .
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

aleksandrored wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:21 pm The Italian mafia has a new recruitment weapon: the TikTok

Young members of Camorra, a criminal organization allied with the Sicilian mafia, are turning to TikTok to promote their lifestyle and recruit new members.

In May, a video was published on TikTok that caught the attention of the Italian community. It was recorded inside a prison , which was later identified as the high-security wing of Avellino prison, 50 kilometers from Naples, the birthplace of the Italian mafia.

One of the prisoners managed to smuggle a cell phone into his cell, subsequently recording a TikTok and posting it on the social network. The video quickly went viral in Italy and was removed from TikTok, although it is still available on YouTube.

According to VICE Italy, this is one of the many cases in which young people in the ranks of Camorra, a criminal organization allied with the Sicilian mafia, turn to TikTok to publicize their lifestyle and assert themselves before the rest of the world. The trend has been increasing lately.

However, there is no way to prove that these TikTok users are in fact members of Camorra, as there is no official list of members.

Whereas in the past members of Camorra came from only a few Italian families, today young aspiring mobsters quickly gain fear and respect with demonstrations of street violence , writes VICE. In addition, young people are now looking for the limelight, countering the tendency to hide their criminal activities.

Since the early 2000s, more and more leaders of older Camorra clans have been arrested, prompting children and young people to take their places . These groups of younger mobsters are known for acts of random and unjustified violence, seeking to cause fear and panic.

Traditionally, the Camorra clans managed violence rationally, so as not to lose the respect of the local population, stresses Professor Luciano Brancaccio, who wrote a book on the subject.

Many of the young Camorra who used TikTok boast their weapons, tattoos, cars, motorcycles and other luxury items. The videos are accompanied by songs in the local dialect, whose lyrics often mention criminal activity. However, none of the videos explicitly show crimes to be committed. In contrast, the publications' descriptions imply their affiliation with organized crime.

Marcello Ravveduto, professor of Digital Public History at the University of Salerno, said the Mafia's use of TikTok to spread his message makes sense: “We often forget that criminal organizations and social networks have one important thing in common: a network ” .

Thus, as Camorra's visibility on TikTok increases, so does its recruitment group .
The Camorra will always have a big recruitment pool, I have family members that live in Naples & they told me that these young guys talking 18-30 that are drug traffickers for the Camorra drive around when it’s not on a Motorino selling or distributing heroin, hashish or Cocaine they drive around luxury cars like Mercedes & BMW’s and are very flashy. Situation there is dire so they’ll always be a young men that’ll get drawn to that life because of the money, power & respect.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Shellackhead wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:38 am
aleksandrored wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:21 pm The Italian mafia has a new recruitment weapon: the TikTok

The Camorra will always have a big recruitment pool, I have family members that live in Naples & they told me that these young guys talking 18-30 that are drug traffickers for the Camorra drive around when it’s not on a Motorino selling or distributing heroin, hashish or Cocaine they drive around luxury cars like Mercedes & BMW’s and are very flashy. Situation there is dire so they’ll always be a young men that’ll get drawn to that life because of the money, power & respect.
I may be wrong, but today I find Camorra very disorganized, I remember a report many years ago that showed the very individual organization, it looked more like a cartel.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

After two months on the run, Alfredo Geraci arrested in Palermo: he collected the protection money in Ballarò

He had been on the run for a couple of months now. The police, at dawn yesterday - but the fact was only made known now - arrested Alfredo Geraci 41 years old from Palermo, considered one of the most active characters, for over 20 years, within the mafia families of the Porta Nuova district and Palermo Center.

The "Alexander" operation was carried out by the agents of the “Catturandi” section of the Palermo Mobile Squad and the Investigative section of the “Oreto-Stazione” police station. Since last July 24, the precautionary measure in prison issued by the Court of Appeal of Palermo on charges of mafia association was pending on Geraci.

The arrest took place as part of the investigations which, in 2013, brought 30 people to trial, disrupting the criminal organization operating in the Porta Nuova district that covers Ballarò and part of the Capo.

Geraci is in fact considered a trusted man by the emerging boss of the Historic Center, Alessandro D'Ambrogio, and is accused of having dealt with extortion, particularly in the Ballarò neighborhood.

Released unharmed in the first instance of trial, in the second instance the Court of Appeal revised his position and in July of this year the arrest order was issued for him. From that moment on, his fugitiveness began during which he escaped capture by the police several times.

Until yesterday, when the agents found him in an apartment in Altofonte, the guest of a local convict. During the search, a pistol was also found, fully functional with 30 cartridges. The convict I.S. (these are the initials) for illegal possession of the weapon which was then stolen 10 years ago.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

aleksandrored wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:24 am I may be wrong, but today I find Camorra very disorganized, I remember a report many years ago that showed the very individual organization, it looked more like a cartel.
the camorra has always been less organized than the sicilian mafia and the ndrangheta, except in 1800 when it was a hierarchical and pyramidal structure, the modern camorra is not a single organization (it is a confederation of clans) and has no continuity with that of the past, it's a different thing
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

scagghiuni wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:30 am
aleksandrored wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:24 am I may be wrong, but today I find Camorra very disorganized, I remember a report many years ago that showed the very individual organization, it looked more like a cartel.
the camorra has always been less organized than the sicilian mafia and the ndrangheta, except in 1800 when it was a hierarchical and pyramidal structure, the modern camorra is not a single organization (it is a confederation of clans) and has no continuity with that of the past, it's a different thing
Exactly that, and that’s why there’s a lot of fighting from within between various clans. I think Raffaele Cutolo tried to unite them in the 80s
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Shellackhead wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:34 am
scagghiuni wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:30 am
Exactly that, and that’s why there’s a lot of fighting from within between various clans. I think Raffaele Cutolo tried to unite them in the 80s
I remember the clan war shown in the film gomorrah.

Cutolo tried to unite them in the 70s and 80s, but ended up losing the war and the Nuova Camorra was practically extinct in 1986, and since then the organization seems to have gotten more and more violent and worse.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

aleksandrored wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:05 pm I remember the clan war shown in the film gomorrah.

Cutolo tried to unite them in the 70s and 80s, but ended up losing the war and the Nuova Camorra was practically extinct in 1986, and since then the organization seems to have gotten more and more violent and worse.
cutolo wanted to reform the old camorra of 1800 that was a single big organization, anyway the war between nco and nuova famiglia in the early 1980s was more violent of the following ones, the slaughter of torre annunziata in 1984 that left 8 dead is peculiar of those years