General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

@Polack you ever heard of one Joe LoPiccolo who was a former Chicagoan and by the mid 1930’s served for the Mangano crime family in New York and in time also became close associate of the Tampa crime family? Im asking this since LoPiccolo was allegedly one of the main guys regarding narcotics shipments for Chicago and the midwest
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Interesting anecdote on Popeye Arrigo. There was a friend of mine who was close with Arrigo and shared a lot of good photos of him in the Facebook group a few years ago. I've always wondered if he was indeed made - it would be interesting to know if Chicago even had "books" - its interesting to hear DiVarco use that term in the mid 1970s. Popeye is an interesting guy - I wondered if he was made because he was more than a leg breaker - he always seemed to have juice and car dealerships going. I believe he passed away very recently. He was on the news about a decade ago for swiping salami at Dominicks in the suburbs.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... rch=Arrigo
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:24 pm Interesting anecdote on Popeye Arrigo. There was a friend of mine who was close with Arrigo and shared a lot of good photos of him in the Facebook group a few years ago. I've always wondered if he was indeed made - it would be interesting to know if Chicago even had "books" - its interesting to hear DiVarco use that term in the mid 1970s. Popeye is an interesting guy - I wondered if he was made because he was more than a leg breaker - he always seemed to have juice and car dealerships going. I believe he passed away very recently. He was on the news about a decade ago for swiping salami at Dominicks in the suburbs.

Just to confirm, Popeye Arrigo did pass.

And agreed that this is an interesting reference. It could tbe hat Chicago had the concept of "books" going back decades, or that this was part of a possible 70s era push to align their protocol more closely along a strict LCN paradigm. Either way, DiVarco is clearly referencing the LCN books being closed I think, which does go to suggest that Chicago adhered to the national LCN protocol.

Do we know of any guys that we're certain were formally made in the period following the big 1956 inductions but before the national books were reopened in the 70s? Maybe this goes to explain the apparent anomaly of a guy like Al Tocco apparently being made in the 80s.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:03 pm Do we know of any guys that we're certain were formally made in the period following the big 1956 inductions but before the national books were reopened in the 70s? Maybe this goes to explain the apparent anomaly of a guy like Al Tocco apparently being made in the 80s.

Don't know if Chicago made anyone during this era but the books closure of 1957-1975 only applied to NY and NJ. The other families continued to make people during that time frame.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:03 pm
SolarSolano wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:24 pm Interesting anecdote on Popeye Arrigo. There was a friend of mine who was close with Arrigo and shared a lot of good photos of him in the Facebook group a few years ago. I've always wondered if he was indeed made - it would be interesting to know if Chicago even had "books" - its interesting to hear DiVarco use that term in the mid 1970s. Popeye is an interesting guy - I wondered if he was made because he was more than a leg breaker - he always seemed to have juice and car dealerships going. I believe he passed away very recently. He was on the news about a decade ago for swiping salami at Dominicks in the suburbs.

And agreed that this is an interesting reference. It could tbe hat Chicago had the concept of "books" going back decades, or that this was part of a possible 70s era push to align their protocol more closely along a strict LCN paradigm. Either way, DiVarco is clearly referencing the LCN books being closed I think, which does go to suggest that Chicago adhered to the national LCN protocol.

Do we know of any guys that we're certain were formally made in the period following the big 1956 inductions but before the national books were reopened in the 70s? Maybe this goes to explain the apparent anomaly of a guy like Al Tocco apparently being made in the 80s.
You might be interested in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4283&hilit=arrigo
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:01 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:03 pm Do we know of any guys that we're certain were formally made in the period following the big 1956 inductions but before the national books were reopened in the 70s? Maybe this goes to explain the apparent anomaly of a guy like Al Tocco apparently being made in the 80s.

Don't know if Chicago made anyone during this era but the books closure of 1957-1975 only applied to NY and NJ. The other families continued to make people during that time frame.

Pogo
I've always heard that this applied to the LCN nationally. Thanks for confirming that it did not.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:27 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:01 pm

Pogo
I've always heard that this applied to the LCN nationally. Thanks for confirming that it did not.
Joe DiVarco was quoted by an informant in 1976 as saying the books had been closed for "many years." I would guess that they had been halted for perhaps at least two or three years when he said that.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Yeah off the top of my head Philly, Buffalo, Rochester, New England, LA, Scranton and New Orleans all held making ceremonies during this era. I checked my notes and it turns out Chicago held inductions in 1962/3, 1971 and 1973.

Here is the list that was originally posted by (I believe) Snakes.

1962/3:
Jimmy Cordovano

1971:
Vincent Solano (52y) (Died 1992) [Unknown sponsor; presumably Ross Prio]

August, 1973:
[Note: This is not the exact date of any known ceremony but according to FBI intelligence, the individuals below were made in the general time period listed]
Salvatore Bastone (38y) (Died 1998) [Unknown sponsor; possibly Fiore Buccieri before his death]
Richard Cain, a.k.a. Richard Scalzitti (41y) (Informant) (Murdered 1973) [Highly probable that Cain was made earlier; probably with Sam Giancana as sponsor]
?John Gattuso? (38y) (Murdered 1983) [Gattuso identified as "made" around this time but later intelligence/info listed him as an associate]
James LaPietra (46y) (Died 1993) [Unknown sponsor; possibly Fiore Buccieri before his death]
Joseph Lombardo (44y) [Unknown sponsor]
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:42 pm Yeah off the top of my head Philly, Buffalo, Rochester, New England, LA, Scranton and New Orleans all held making ceremonies during this era. I checked my notes and it turns out Chicago held inductions in 1962/3, 1971 and 1973.

1962/3:
Jimmy Cordovano

1971:

August, 1973:
[Note: This is not the exact date of any known ceremony but according to FBI intelligence, the individuals below were made in the general time period listed]
Salvatore Bastone (38y) (Died 1998) [Unknown sponsor; possibly Fiore Buccieri before his death]
Richard Cain, a.k.a. Richard Scalzitti (41y) (Informant) (Murdered 1973) [Highly probable that Cain was made earlier; probably with Sam Giancana as sponsor]
?John Gattuso? (38y) (Murdered 1983) [Gattuso identified as "made" around this time but later intelligence/info listed him as an associate]
James LaPietra (46y) (Died 1993) [Unknown sponsor; possibly Fiore Buccieri before his death]
I should also point out that most of the above guys were confirmed at the listed dates as made, but they could have been made sooner than indicated. These were just the earliest dates at which the FBI were able to confirm their status. But it could be assumed that these guys were all made at some point between the late 50s and mid 70s and possibly within a year or so of the listed dates.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:04 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:03 pm

You might be interested in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4283&hilit=arrigo
Thanks buddy.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Joe Arrigo's face can be found in the group picture from the late 1920s which included all remaining Chicago Heights clans, both mainlanders and Sicilians
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:42 pm Yeah off the top of my head Philly, Buffalo, Rochester, New England, LA, Scranton and New Orleans all held making ceremonies during this era. I checked my notes and it turns out Chicago held inductions in 1962/3, 1971 and 1973.

1962/3:
Jimmy Cordovano

1971:

August, 1973:
Spot on regarding Jimmy Cordovano. His induction into Skids Carusos team was confirmed by wiretapped convo between two made guys Fred Roti and Pat Marcy and they trash talked Cordovano because of his narcotics history and connections.

Chicago made their own guys while the books were closed and most of their chats regarding the opening of the books are from the 1970's which confirms the theory that the Outfit began to take more traditional form during that same decade but they still had Alex at the top until 1992 lol.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

By the late 60s the LaPietras and Torello were labelled as high level members of the Buccieri crew and as a matter of fact, theres one file from the mid or late 60s which says that Torello is going up in the organization. Another possible made guy was Steve Annoreno but im not sure....
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Villain wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:34 am Image
I imagine this Zaccagnini was Vito Zaccagnini who started informing in the mid 60s?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.