Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

motorfab
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by motorfab »

motorfab wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:29 am
Lupara wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:07 am
antimafia wrote:^^^^
Un mafieux montréalais soupçonné de tentative de meurtre

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... eurtre.php
According to the translation the murder target was Spagnolo himself but the guy who was stabbed became a victim of mistaken identity?
Yes that's it
So in fact no, I correct, it was for the murder of his father that he was targeted, there for the thing of the attempted murder it is not specified. My apologies it was Friday night and it has been a rough week ...
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by Laurentian »

Nicola Spagnolo obtient sa liberté provisoire

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... isoire.php
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

The Spagnolo father, was he targeted by the Scoppas? If so, you figured the pentito would of confessed that, question, who targeted Spagnolo, if the Scoppas, did Giordano, Sollecito, etc.

Then someone else did Spagnolo, Hamilton? Violi/Luppino? Musitanos??Woodbridge or the HAs.

Any insights?
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

SantoClaus wrote:The Spagnolo father, was he targeted by the Scoppas? If so, you figured the pentito would of confessed that, question, who targeted Spagnolo, if the Scoppas, did Giordano, Sollecito, etc.

Then someone else did Spagnolo, Hamilton? Violi/Luppino? Musitanos??Woodbridge or the HAs.

Any insights?
I think the Scoppas. They aimed to eliminate the senior leadership of the Rizzuto group. But it's possible the Violis were involved too.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Lupara wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:39 am
SantoClaus wrote:The Spagnolo father, was he targeted by the Scoppas? If so, you figured the pentito would of confessed that, question, who targeted Spagnolo, if the Scoppas, did Giordano, Sollecito, etc.

Any insights?
I think the Scoppas. They aimed to eliminate the senior leadership of the Rizzuto group. But it's possible the Violis were involved too.
According to some cops it seems that Nicola was the real target, so who knows ...
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

Wow! That's so serious, how could the Scoppas get that powerful, maybe Desjardins with support outside?, hence, the attempt by MOM and Gregory Woolley, on Raynard's life. To think both Rizzuto and Sollecito (the sons) were arrested in 2015 or they might of had attempts on them as well.

i've heard that in 2014 Andrea Scoppa was cool with the Sicilians in Montreal, this was shortly before Ducarme Joseph was murdered. It was Sal Scoppa that seemed to be the problem, then 16 months later, Andrea and Sal Scoppa alone start to waste all of the Rizzutos, seems like the narrative is missing key characters.
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

Does Desjardins have ties to Hamilton? Either cops or bikers or both?
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

I'm posting in regard to the speculation about the Scoppa brothers and the Violi brothers possibly being behind the murder of Vincenzo Spagnolo, perhaps with assistance from certain individuals or allied groups.

When Spagnolo was murdered in October 2016, the killing occurred anywhere from four to seven weeks after Domenico Violi was recorded on tape talking to Vincenzo Morena, saying that he (Violi) could introduce Morena to Francesco Arcadi, Tony Mucci, and Frankie Cotroni Jr.; that everyone was now working with one another; and that all the old obstacles were gone. Per Gaétan Pouliot's article (https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/11 ... ppe-drogue):

En septembre 2016, Domenico Violi affirme que la situation se stabilise dans la métropole québécoise. Tout le monde travaille ensemble de nos jours, les vieilles barrières ont disparu, a-t-il dit, selon l’agent double.

By Violi's offering to introduce Morena to those three individuals, Violi could very well have meant that, in his capacity as a made member of the Buffalo Family, he could introduce Morena--likely a Bonanno associate--to three individuals who were probable or likely Bonanno members. As for Violi's saying that the old obstacles were gone, he might have meant that Lorenzo Giordano and Rocco Sollecito were out of the way, maybe even hinting at a future murder of another obstacle (i.e., Vincenzo Spagnolo).

We know that within five days after Spagnolo's murder, journalist Félix Séguin published an article about Spagnolo being on a brief hit list that the Calabrian mafia in Ontario had drawn up. Séguin, both in his article and in a tweet or two, almost asserted that, based on sources, it was only a matter of time before the Ontario 'ndrangheta was once again in control of the Montreal Mafia (having lost that control in the late 1970s because of Paolo Violi's murder in January 1978). One link to Séguin's article: https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/ ... -calabrais.

We've known for some time that Quebec law enforcement has a theory, not yet proven, that Spagnolo's son was the intended target--if son Nicola was, was he on the the hit list? was the hit list another example of bad intelligence provided by sources?

We don't have evidence of either a Buffalo Family-Bonanno Family putsch or a long-cultivated plot that ultimately succeeded in an overthrow of the Rizzuto loyalists who, for the time being, appear to be in charge of Montreal's Italian underworld. We don't have proof of an Ontario Calabrian takeover of the Montreal Mafia either, and of course there are problems with labelling all Calabrian-Canadian criminals in Ontario as being 'ndrangheta members.

Just after the attempted murder of Raynald Desjardins in September 2011, I was watching a live TVA Nouvelles TV news report about it. TBHF poster Laurentian made me aware of how important this news report was, as I realized neither the importance nor the significance, and he essentially translated for me the most interesting portion.

At the 1:40 mark of the video, two experts in organized crime provided their thoughts as to why Desjardins was attacked. Claude Poirier, the well-known crime reporter and hostage negotiatior in Quebec, theorized that an attempt was made on Desjardins' life either because a) Desjardins had failed to defend the Rizzutos' rackets and interests when Vito Rizzuto was locked up, or b) Desjardins refused to pay tribute to the new crime group that was believed to have taken over in Montreal, a group that was supposedly based in Hamilton.

As I wrote in my January 2017 post on Gangster BB regarding this video, "if one day we ever find out that Poirier's second theory back in 2011 is true in whole or in part, this means that the Desjardins-Mirarchi group, which likely had backing from the GTA Siderno Group, was in conflict with Violi's sons and the others who backed the sons."

The original online link to the news video was http://www.tvanouvelles.ca/videos/1168533220001, but I have been unable to find another link since.

So from everything we've read, in September 2011 neither Domenico Violi nor Giuseppe Violi was yet made into an American LCN family. Poirier's second theory could be interpreted at least three ways: 1) the Violi brothers were trying to steal the rug from under Sal Montagna, 2) the Violi brothers, perhaps along with Sal Montagna, tried to steal the rug from under Desjardins and Mirarchi, or 3) Desjardins didn't want to pay tribute to a crime group in which Montagna and the nonmade Violis were partners who had taken over in Montreal.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
Sorry. When I wrote the following,

By Violi's offering to introduce Morena to those three individuals, Violi could very well have meant that, in his capacity as a made member of the Buffalo Family, he could introduce Morena--likely a Bonanno associate--to three individuals who were probable or likely Bonanno members. As for Violi's saying that the old obstacles were gone, he might have meant that Lorenzo Giordano and Rocco Sollecito were out of the way, maybe even hinting at a future murder of another obstacle (i.e., Vincenzo Spagnolo).

Morena was not a Bonanno associate, having been inducted into the Bonanno Family in November 2015. As I have previously pointed out, it is perhaps a little strange that Morena would have to be introduced to Arcadi, Mucci, and Cotroni Jr. by Domenico Violi. But maybe not if Violi was the only made member, albeit from a different family, who could introduce Morena to made Bonannos in Montreal.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Interesting. So the violis (and buffalo?) could have been against certain Toronto ndrangheta and bonnano members for a certain period of time. However, it looks like not long after, they were all allies again.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by Lupara »

motorfab wrote:
Lupara wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:39 am

Any insights?
According to some cops it seems that Nicola was the real target, so who knows ...
Were they living in the same residence? Otherwise it was most certainly targeted. You don't mistaken a 70 year old for a 40 year old.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

antimafia wrote:^^^^

Morena was not a Bonanno associate, having been inducted into the Bonanno Family in November 2015. As I have previously pointed out, it is perhaps a little strange that Morena would have to be introduced to Arcadi, Mucci, and Cotroni Jr. by Domenico Violi. But maybe not if Violi was the only made member, albeit from a different family, who could introduce Morena to made Bonannos in Montreal.
You bring up an interesting point. I recently theorized that Morena may have met Montagna and/or Rizzuto people when he was in the Montreal area from 2011 through 2014. Violi's offer to introduce him to some of the names means that Morena had not met these individuals (nor other associates of them who could've made the introduction) which rules out a part of my theory. However given Morena's background and ties to people who in turn were connected to Montagna it is quite likely he did meet up with the latter in or before his stay in Montreal. I think that with Morena being on record with the Bonannos at the time it was perhaps even mandatory that he had to report to Montagna once he settled in the area.

Then again, only made members can introduce other made members to each other isn't it? That means it's possible Morena did know people who knew or may have been even close to some of the made Rizzuto people. As a Bonanno associate he had to report to another Bonanno member when he was active in Canada. So it is indeed strange that he was dependent on Violi to make the introductions when it could've easily been another Bonanno member in Montreal (again Morena must've been acquainted with someone over there).

It makes you reconsider whether there were still ties between Montreal and New York at the time. It is ofcourse possible that guys such as Arcadi and Mucci were formally inducted into the Bonanno family but didn't know anyone in New York and were dependent on others who did have these connections (but who were all deceased at that point).
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Lupara wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:52 pm
So it is indeed strange that he was dependent on Violi to make the introductions when it could've easily been another Bonanno member in Montreal (again Morena must've been acquainted with someone over there).
Even if Morena previously knew every member of the Montreal crew he would have had to be re-introduced to all of them as a friend of ours by another member. Violi was the key to that, it's probably one of the main reasons he was at his induction. We can presume Zummo and Zancocchio didn't want to go parading around Canada introducing Morena to people so they left it to Violi who lived up there and knew everyone.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

antimafia wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:11 pm ^^^^

Great analysis as always, Antimafia.

Introductions

- It would make sense Violi was talking about making a formal "amico nostra" introduction given Morena was now a member and Violi would be arranging a meeting solely for the purpose of an introduction. It seems less likely he would arrange a meeting between members (assuming the Montreal trio were in fact made) just to say hello without some greater networking value -- an official introduction is strong currency in this network, as evidenced by the NYC Bonanno group making formal contact with Violi and inviting him to the induction.

- If that was the scenario, someone had already introduced Violi to specific Montreal members after his own induction and before he made his offer to Morena. Not difficult to imagine existing Buffalo-Ontario members making an introduction to members in Montreal. The main point of interest is who might have made the introduction and what the situation was at the time Violi was introduced. Was Violi's introduction to those men the reason he felt the old barriers were gone? Did he ever have a reason to believe there were barriers between his Ontario circle and Arcadi, Mucci, and Cotroni Jr., or was he referring to other barriers within Montreal or between Ontario/Montreal?

- I wouldn't assume the NYC members who inducted Morena had no formal contacts in Montreal, but may not have planned on staying in Canada long enough to facilitate a Montreal introduction given they were already going out of their way to meet with Violi and induct Morena. They could easily not have known anyone in Montreal, too.

Montagna's NYC and Montreal Ties

- Montagna used Canadian resources in Montreal and collaborated with some of the local crew, though it is difficult to believe that New York Bonanno members wouldn't have visited him there and he may have been able to arrange formal introductions between NYC and Montreal members (at least the ones allied with Montagna) before his death. Bonanno members were willing to travel to Canada for the Morena induction, so Bonanno members may have similarly been willing to travel to Canada in the preceding years when Montagna was there given his stature in NYC.

- Damiano Zummo, who handled Morena's induction, like Morena came from the Ridgewood / Middle Village area where Montagna had hung out and Zummo's father was a Sicilian heroin trafficker who appears to be from Trapani province, like Montagna's father. Zummo's father was surveilled in the 1980s at a Ridgewood caffe where Paul Ragusa's father Filippo also frequented. We aren't sure when Zummo became a Bonanno member -- if he was made between 2006-2009, his induction would have been overseen by Montagna.

- I don't believe Montagna would have attempted his takeover of the Montreal crew without trying to strengthen its formal ties to New York given his role there prior to deportation. The past decade has revealed many new Bonanno members, some of them younger and without federal restrictions that would prevent travel. Bonanno members have also traveled to Sicily in recent years to strengthen ties to the mafia in Castellammare Del Golfo.

- The extent of Montagna's contact with the Montreal crew during the 1990s and early 2000s isn't presently known. He was said by Bonanno CW Cicale to have been the liaison between NYC and Montreal during the 2000s. Montagna was close to Bonanno member Baldo Amato, who traveled to Montreal on at least one occasion and reportedly had a friendship with the Sicilian members of the Bonanno Montreal crew.

Montagna's Sicilian and Historical Ties

- Montagna may also be directly or indirectly responsible for the current ties between the Bonanno family and the mafia leadership in Castellammare Del Golfo and Sciacca. Given Montagna lived in CDG and his brother Franco Montagna was seen traveling to Sicily in 2007 with one of the men arrested in the recent Sicilian case that mentioned Bonanno ties, it points to Montagna helping facilitate the NYC->Sicily connections.

- The boss of Castellammare Del Golfo who has been in contact with Bonanno members is Francesco Domingo and the Montagnas have strong ties to Domingos from Castellammare living in NYC. Sicilian expert Felice revealed that Francesco Domingo's aunt may have been married to Salvatore Maranzano's brother Mariano. Yes, capo dei capi Salvatore Maranzano who owned property in Hamilton, Ontario, and sent his family to hide in Montreal in the early 1930s. It may be no coincidence that Salvatore Maranzano utilized Sebastiano Domingo as a hitman during the the war.

- Felice also revealed that Salvatore Montagna's father Antonino is a man of honor in the Sicilian mafia and sponsored Francesco Domingo for membership. This is huge news that shouldn't be overlooked given Antonino Montagna lived in Montreal previously which means Antonino Montagna was likely a Sicilian mafia member living in Montreal in the 1970s/1980s prior to moving to NYC and his son becoming a Bonanno member. Given Gerlando Sciascia appears to have been a Sicilian mafia member who transferred to the Bonanno family and brought Salvatore Montagna into the Bonanno family, we can assume Antonino Montagna was no stranger to Sciascia.

As outsiders we are babes in the woods when it comes to the depth and history of these connections.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:59 pm
Laurentian wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:10 am Operation Loquace

Cop spooked by suspects during surveillance, Montreal court told

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... court-told

- - - -

Projet Loquace: Alkhalil sera jugé plus de sept ans plus tard

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... s-tard.php
Projet Loquace : supplice de la goutte d’eau pour des trafiquants

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... quants.php
‪Projet Loquace: Alkhalil acquitté de plusieurs chefs, dont celui de gangstérisme

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... erisme.php