New Orleans.

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: New Orleans.

Post by sdeitche »

motorfab wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:13 pm
B. wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:55 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:32 pm
B. wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:41 pm I'd have to see the exact report you're referring to to gauge the context, but there are other reports from 1968 that reflect the same information on the 1966 and late 1967 reports. Do you have the original report that 1968 info is from? Thanks, man.

Sorry I don't. It was from MF and I just copied down the info. I do have in my notes that it was on page 217 but from what batch of documents I have no idea.

Pogo
Thanks, man.

This is on page 217 of an MF file containing a report from the New Orleans FBI office in August 1968:
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... PageId=217

It has the same handful of confirmed members posted by Nash and the rest are suspected members. So as of August 1968, the FBI hadn't received confirmation that those were made members.

They did make some lists ~1963 that included eight men that they believed "logically could be considered members", but that statement and other details show that this was based only on activities and association with the Marcellos, not any direct evidence of membership.
You have also this one if you want. https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 1&tab=page
Couple items of interest here. There was a close friendship between Joseph Marcello and Augsutine Lazzara, as evidenced in other files on MF and ones I obtained back in the 90s. Unclear where those close ties originated.

Also interesting that it discusses close ties between Kansas City and NO. There had been close ties between Tampa and Kansas City, specifcally with the Anitnoris in the 30s and 40s. KC men James DeSimone and Nicholas Impostato were reg visitors to Tampa, and implicated in a couple of the killings during the Era of Blood.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

sdeitche wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:32 am
B. wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:41 pm I'd have to see the exact report you're referring to to gauge the context, but there are other reports from 1968 that reflect the same information on the 1966 and late 1967 reports. Do you have the original report that 1968 info is from? Thanks, man.

Sorry I don't. It was from MF and I just copied down the info. I do have in my notes that it was on page 217 but from what batch of documents I have no idea.

Pogo
Thanks, man.

This is on page 217 of an MF file containing a report from the New Orleans FBI office in August 1968:

It has the same handful of confirmed members posted by Nash and the rest are suspected members. So as of August 1968, the FBI hadn't received confirmation that those were made members.

They did make some lists ~1963 that included eight men that they believed "logically could be considered members", but that statement and other details show that this was based only on activities and association with the Marcellos, not any direct evidence of membership.
You have also this one if you want. https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 1&tab=page
Couple items of interest here. There was a close friendship between Joseph Marcello and Augsutine Lazzara, as evidenced in other files on MF and ones I obtained back in the 90s. Unclear where those close ties originated.

Also interesting that it discusses close ties between Kansas City and NO. There had been close ties between Tampa and Kansas City, specifcally with the Anitnoris in the 30s and 40s. KC men James DeSimone and Nicholas Impostato were reg visitors to Tampa, and implicated in a couple of the killings during the Era of Blood.
Scott, I'm curious. Was Tampa confined mostly to the Tampa area or were they spread all across the state? Certain groups kept it to one city while others just spread out across an entire area.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:13 am

Pogo
Thanks, man.

Scott, I'm curious. Was Tampa confined mostly to the Tampa area or were they spread all across the state? Certain groups kept it to one city while others just spread out across an entire area.
Spread out to central and South Florida and the Keys. Not much in North Florida, though they did have bolita operations in Brooksville.
Havana obviously as well.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

sdeitche wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:11 am

Pogo
Thanks, man.

Spread out to central and South Florida and the Keys. Not much in North Florida, though they did have bolita operations in Brooksville.
I'd be open to making a map/chart with info from the 1963 chart, similar to what I did with CL. Let me know if that's feasible.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:16 pm Hmmm maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but I believe it was a different report that I saw. The one I saw listed Joe Marcello and Campo as UnderBoss and Consigliere. And I'm sure I would have included the "suspected" category as well as I did in this 1972 chart that I also have in my files.

Here is the 1972 chart which includes 35 names. It is basically the same as the 1968 list. I put an (N) next to the names that weren't on the 1968 list.

Administration:
Boss: Carlos Marcello
UnderBoss: Joseph Marcello
Consigliere: Vincenzo “Jimmy” Campo (D/1972)

Members:
Anthony Carollla
Francesco Paolo Coppola (Italy)
Frank “Fat Frank” Gagliano
Giuseppe Gaglaino (Former UnderBoss)
Antonio “Anthony” Pansi (D/1972)
Sam Tumminello (N)

Suspected Members:
Chris Albano
Anthony Barlotta
Salvador Anthony Boemia
Frank Caracci
Joseph Chimento
Angelo Conforto
Jerome Conforto
James L. Culotta
Samuel Domino
Leonard Franzone (N)
Nino LoScalzo (N)
Peter Marcello
Salvatore “Sammy” Marcello
Vincent “Vinny” Marcello
Anthony P. Marullo (N)
Joseph Anthony Matassa
Carlo Montalbano
Frank Occhipinti
Rosario Frank Occhipinti
Onorfio “Norfio” Pecora
Joseph Albert Poretto
Joseph Robert Provenzano (N)
Philip “Phil” Rizzuto
Victor Emile Saladino
Frank Vincent Timphony
Frank Vuci

Pogo
Interesting, I didn't know about this list, thanks for sharing. Do you have a link to read the entire file ?

About the file I shared earlier, something caught my attention:

I don't believe I have ever seen anyone mention a representative from New Orleans to Apalachin in 1957. I don't know if the informant is credible, but it is true that almost all (all?) the borgatas were represented, I don't see why NOLA wouldn't have had a guy.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

Interested in him too Motofab. I couldn’t find much on him when I looked into him a few months ago, though he does have a page in the FBN book.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

lol I didn't remember that he had been controlled by the cops on the road to Apalachin. Too bad that there is no photo on the file. I never managed to find one
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Interesting that Presta is Calabrian from Cosenza and referred to as Frank Costello's contact in NO, Costello also being from Cosenza. It could point to New Orleans making non-Sicilians (no doubt very few or only Presta).

Dallas also had a few Calabrian members and the most prominent ones were relatives of Calabrian capodecina Rocco Pellegrino of the Genovese family.

So It seems that these Calabrians in Dallas and New Orleans both had strong ties to Calabrians in the Genovese family. And it might not be a coincidence that the above file says Presta was close to Joe Civello of Dallas (a Sicilian, but his underboss was Calabrese) given all of the above.

Could be another sign of birds of a feather between NO and Dallas... Corleonesi bosses in the 1940s/50s, tiny families at risk of dying out by the 1950s/60s due to lack of inductions, select Calabrese members with ties to the Genovese family.

It says Presta died in Italy in 1968, so he probably wouldn't have been included in Colombo's alleged member count.
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

B. wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:53 pm Interesting that Presta is Calabrian from Cosenza and referred to as Frank Costello's contact in NO, Costello also being from Cosenza. It could point to New Orleans making non-Sicilians (no doubt very few or only Presta).

Dallas also had a few Calabrian members and the most prominent ones were relatives of Calabrian capodecina Rocco Pellegrino of the Genovese family.

So It seems that these Calabrians in Dallas and New Orleans both had strong ties to Calabrians in the Genovese family. And it might not be a coincidence that the above file says Presta was close to Joe Civello of Dallas (a Sicilian, but his underboss was Calabrese) given all of the above.

Could be another sign of birds of a feather between NO and Dallas... Corleonesi bosses in the 1940s/50s, tiny families at risk of dying out by the 1950s/60s due to lack of inductions, select Calabrese members with ties to the Genovese family.

It says Presta died in Italy in 1968, so he probably wouldn't have been included in Colombo's alleged member count.
I also read something once that said Rocco Pellegrino came out to Dallas for a bit in the 50s to help them run their family.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

His sons were in regular contact with the Dallas family and the Pellegrinos were involved in a joint gambling operation in Dallas in the 1950s/60s.

A lot more Genovese influence in the south than you might expect.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am
sdeitche wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:11 am

Pogo
Thanks, man.

I'd be open to making a map/chart with info from the 1963 chart, similar to what I did with CL. Let me know if that's feasible.
Might be. Email me and can see. Also havent found the 91 chart photos yet. May have to see if Mob Museum has, since they have the original charts.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

B. wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:53 pm .. And it might not be a coincidence that the above file says Presta was close to Joe Civello of Dallas (a Sicilian, but his underboss was Calabrese) given all of the above.

In fact in addition to what you say, Joseph Civello was born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He emigrated to Texas in the 1920s. I think that's one of the reasons why Dallas has such close ties to New-Orleans (I just posted a photo of Joe Campisi with Anthony Marcello in the mugshot section here : viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1058&p=163664#p163664 )
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

The Sicilian Immigration into New Orleans is actually a good example of assimilation. The word "Dago" actually originated in Louisiana. Because most all of the newly arrived Sicilian Immigrants couldn't speak English, most worked worked on Plantations during the day & did the same work as *******es but actually did it much better in their drive to succeed. Many White Southerners addressed them as "Day Goers" which was shortened to "Dagos". The fact that they came from Europe, didn't immediately speak English, were Catholic & did not view *******es the same way as the other White Southerners caused suspicion against them. However, it was their tremendous drive to succeed & become "Americanized" & their refusal to be treated as subservient people that changed a lot of the suspicion against them as had the Irish before them. The Catholic thing still was held against them to a certain degree since practically all White Southerners were Southern Baptist. However, as time went on even more, that basically diminished since they were Christians.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Since Frattiano's book has been getting a lot of attention I thought I should mention that he identified a Mario Marino as a NO made member he met during the 1970s.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

- Greg Scarpa partially ID'd Giuseppe Gagliano as a member. He didn't know his full name, but described a member with a surname that started with "G" who he was told was the former underboss of the New Orleans family. At the time of Scarpa's info Giuseppe Gagliano was living in NYC following his deportation and other sources have referred to him as a former underboss.

- Another New Orleans connection is DeCavalcante member Michael Aquilante. JD described a report where Aquilante was being brought up from New Orleans to run the family's Connecticut rackets. I don't know when Aquilante was made (if he was being brought up to run CT it could indicate he was already made), but it shows a DeCavalcante figure was living in NO.

^ Not going to try to fit this into the New Orleans vs. DeCavalcantes as the "first family" discussion, but it is interesting.