Fosco's Mafia Report: DiFronzo and Outfit schism

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: Fosco's Mafia Report: DiFronzo and Outfit schism

Post by Snakes »

I think Cerone directly ran Elmwood Park until the mid to late seventies. At that point, I believe he left most of the day to day leadership to DiFronzo with Messino as the go-between. Fosco says that DiFronzo took over right after Gagliano died and I suppose he could have since Cerone was in prison for a couple more years but there isn't enough information (that I know of) to say for certain.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:15 pm I think Cerone directly ran Elmwood Park until the mid to late seventies. At that point, I believe he left most of the day to day leadership to DiFronzo with Messino as the go-between. Fosco says that DiFronzo took over right after Gagliano died and I suppose he could have since Cerone was in prison for a couple more years but there isn't enough information (that I know of) to say for certain.
The difference of course here being that after Alderisio's death and Lombardo's promotion to Capo he was the top boss over the Westside, whereas with DiFronzo it remains unclear at what point we should take him as the top boss over EP as opposed to Cerone's lieutenant or underboss.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

My understanding from different sources indicate that Lombardo replaced Battaglia upon his death, suggesting that when he was the day-to-day boss before he went to prison is that he was actually the acting boss and officially remained the capo of his crew until he died. This would mean Alderisio was the acting capo of the Battaglia crew until he went to prison.

I also believe DiFronzo succeeded Joe Gags as capo of EP. Cerone replaced Battaglia as acting boss then went to prison, then Ricca and Accardo took more active roles. After Aiuppa was released he became the day-to-acting boss under Accardo, since Ricca's health declined and died in 1972. Alex was the third member of the triumvirate, along with Chuck Nicoletti working closely with Aiuppa. Once Cerone came out he became the Outfit underboss. DiFronzo remained the EP capo until he was promoted to underboss when Aiuppa went back to prison and he officially stepped down as boss for Sam Carlisi. Lee Mags replaced him, followed by Joe Andriacchi. At some point while Andriacchi was capo he tried to shut down EP.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Villain wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:56 am
Patrickgold wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:15 am
Villain wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:37 am I dont remember really so maybe Antiliar, Snakes, Confederate or Pete can chime in, but i think that the Magnafichis were the source regarding DiFronzo succeeding Gagliano in 71 or maybe im wrong, i dunno maybe Calabrese was the one who said something...by the early 70s besides Gagliano being dead, both Messino and Cerone were in prison, Cardi was also out of the picture abd so there werent many top EP guys left on the st at the time...anyways later Magnafichi allegedly succeeded DiFronzo as capo of EP when the latter one became the underboss....btw what time period Joe Kong was the alleged capo of EP? Was it before or after Magnafichi?
Villian, I’m pretty sure Fosco is the one that said that. I personally don’t think Cerone relinquished control of the EP crew while he was in upper management. He only did about three years in the early 70s. He also had his personal underboss working for him and doing everything he wanted, Willie Messino. Messino was in prison from 70-76. The last supper picture was taken at Harlem and Diversey. Right on the border of Elmwood Park. If Difronzo was a capo at that time, I’m pretty sure he would have been there. If Difronzo was the EP boss, it’s very likely it was acting during that time. I remember seeing Outfit charts and not seeing him in that spot. I have to look again to confirm. As for Culotta, I’m not sure he ever really was EP boss. I know the CCC listed him as a lieutenant in their 97 chart. His brother claims he was not.
Thanks for the info on Culotta and Fosco, although im going to wait for Antiliars answer also since i think he mentioned some additional stuff....

I agree that almost every boss or underboss in the Outfits history never relinquished their power over their own crews...for example Ricca never relinquished his power over his Taylor St faction, nor did Accardo over his EP crew...same story goes for underbosses such as Ferraro who always had full control over the Chinatown/Cicero/South Side faction, or Battaglia over the MP, Stone Park and Northlake faction...BUT they all had their own district bosses aka capos who controlled the day to day ops

So theres no question that Cerone represented EPs interests on that 1976 photo....and by the way, do you see a Cicero/MP rep on that same photo? I dont think so since Aiuppa represented his own group or Ortenzis and Carlisis interests, besides he being the boss at the time.

Cerone was released in 1973....it is very well documented that Alex asked Accardo for Cerone to take his place temporarly....in 1974, Cerone is seen having meetings with top individuals such as Aiuppa and even the recently deported Giancana....the files say (thanks to Snakes) that after Giancanas demise, in September or October, Cerone became the official underboss which possibly means that Aiuppa also became official and Alex was also back in the game. Do you see Alex on that photo? I dont think so but we have that other pic with Gus and Sam Alex, Accardo, Aiuppa, Cerone and Marcy, and on top of that we also have numerous sources, even later from the 80s, that Alex was the Outfits "consigliere" or senior advisor....

So my point is that DiFronzo was a sleeper during those days and became a capo sometime between 1971 and 1976....there was no way during those days for some1 to become the underboss without previously serving at least 5 or 6 years as a district boss.....when Messino got out of jail, he worked as Cerones chauffer, bodyguard and personal assistant....he was probably looked upon as elder statesman by the rest of the EP crew but i dont think that he had any kind of personal control over it
In addition, some stuff on what i previously stated regarding Cerone's stature during the mid 70s or after his release from prison....

Alex being temporarly replaced by Cerone...

Cerone in 1974...

In 1975 Alex was back in the game...

Alex in 1977 having the same old position as during the early 70s....

Last edited by Villain on Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I don't believe that Cerone became underboss until 1975 or 1976. He was admittedly weary of resuming a prominent role in the organization and preferred to take a lesser role in affairs for his first couple of years out of prison. However, he eventually came around (partly for financial reasons) and with Alex basically retiring to Florida and Accardo also taking less of an active role he re-entered the top ranks of the organization. I think the place was always there for him should he want it, he just didn't actively pursue until after he had been out of prison for a while.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:20 pm I don't believe that Cerone became underboss until 1975 or 1976. He was admittedly weary of resuming a prominent role in the organization and preferred to take a lesser role in affairs for his first couple of years out of prison. However, he eventually came around (partly for financial reasons) and with Alex basically retiring to Florida and Accardo also taking less of an active role he re-entered the top ranks of the organization. I think the place was always there for him should he want it, he just didn't actively pursue until after he had been out of prison for a while.
He had the senior advisor or semi-retired position until 1975, and later he took the number 2 spot, since as you already stated he probably didnt want to be the boss for the second time out of obvious reasons
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:52 pm I also believe DiFronzo succeeded Joe Gags as capo of EP. Cerone replaced Battaglia as acting boss then went to prison, then Ricca and Accardo took more active roles. After Aiuppa was released he became the day-to-acting boss under Accardo, since Ricca's health declined and died in 1972. Alex was the third member of the triumvirate, along with Chuck Nicoletti working closely with Aiuppa. Once Cerone came out he became the Outfit underboss. DiFronzo remained the EP capo until he was promoted to underboss when Aiuppa went back to prison and he officially stepped down as boss for Sam Carlisi. Lee Mags replaced him, followed by Joe Andriacchi. At some point while Andriacchi was capo he tried to shut down EP.
Spot on analysis. In addition, "somebody" had to run Elmwood Park when Cerone & Messino were in Jail & Gagliano had died. There's no question that it was DiFronzo. The only reason DiFronzo & Carlisi "seemed" possibly a little less important than Lombardo or Pilotto or Solano was because they were a little over shadowed by Cerone & Auippa since those two Crews were the power bases of Cerone & Auippa & when push came to shove, those two represented them. However, that being said, look who became the #1 & #2 in the mid 80's. It was none other than Carlisi & DiFronzo.

The "original" disagreement in this thread was when that other poster said that Lombardo was "way above DiFronzo" before he went to Jail in the mid 80's". Completely disagree with that exaggerated statement 100%. Lombardo & DiFronzo were on a very complimentary horizontal level in the mid 80's. Lombardo a little more because of the Teamsters & DiFronzo a little more because he was the eventual #2 & a great earner. Pretty even.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Confederate wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:16 pm
Antiliar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:52 pm I also believe DiFronzo succeeded Joe Gags as capo of EP. Cerone replaced Battaglia as acting boss then went to prison, then Ricca and Accardo took more active roles. After Aiuppa was released he became the day-to-acting boss under Accardo, since Ricca's health declined and died in 1972. Alex was the third member of the triumvirate, along with Chuck Nicoletti working closely with Aiuppa. Once Cerone came out he became the Outfit underboss. DiFronzo remained the EP capo until he was promoted to underboss when Aiuppa went back to prison and he officially stepped down as boss for Sam Carlisi. Lee Mags replaced him, followed by Joe Andriacchi. At some point while Andriacchi was capo he tried to shut down EP.
Spot on analysis. In addition, "somebody" had to run Elmwood Park when Cerone & Messino were in Jail & Gagliano had died. There's no question that it was DiFronzo. The only reason DiFronzo & Carlisi "seemed" possibly a little less important than Lombardo or Pilotto or Solano was because they were a little over shadowed by Cerone & Auippa since those two Crews were the power bases of Cerone & Auippa & when push came to shove, those two represented them. However, that being said, look who became the #1 & #2 in the mid 80's. It was none other than Carlisi & DiFronzo.

The "original" disagreement in this thread was when that other poster said that Lombardo was "way above DiFronzo" before he went to Jail in the mid 80's". Completely disagree with that exaggerated statement 100%. Lombardo & DiFronzo were on a very complimentary horizontal level in the mid 80's. Lombardo a little more because of the Teamsters & DiFronzo a little more because he was the eventual #2 & a great earner. Pretty even.
I’m still waiting on your official reports that states Difronzo became a capo in 1970 and that he was close to Lombardo. I mean your all about official FBI reports so I would love to see them.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:59 pm

I’m still waiting on your official reports that states Difronzo became a capo in 1970 and that he was close to Lombardo. I mean your all about official FBI reports so I would love to see them.
Lombardo and Difronzo were indicted for running a loansharking ring together in 1961, a charge which they both beat by beating the shit out of a witness. There is literally mug shots of them side by side in the paper. Google it. Pretty sure they were fairly close early on.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Coloboy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:43 pm

Lombardo and Difronzo were indicted for running a loansharking ring together in 1961, a charge which they both beat by beating the shit out of a witness. There is literally mug shots of them side by side in the paper. Google it. Pretty sure they were fairly close early on.
They both grew up in the Grand Ave Patch in the same age cohort. As a teen DiFronzo lived on the same block as Jimmy Legs D'Antonio (Erie & Wolcott) who was close with Lombardo since they were kids, so these guys all knew each other from way back.

This reminds me, I have a pic of DiFronzo from the Wells HS yearbook. I'll post it sometime.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 pm

They both grew up in the Grand Ave Patch in the same age cohort. As a teen DiFronzo lived on the same block as Jimmy Legs D'Antonio (Erie & Wolcott) who was close with Lombardo since they were kids, so these guys all knew each other from way back.

This reminds me, I have a pic of DiFronzo from the Wells HS yearbook. I'll post it sometime.
I’m Not claiming they didn’t know each other but saying they were very close is another thing. Now D’Antonio and Lombardo were close. They were always around each other. DiFronzo I would like to know where the source was bc I heard the opposite
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:31 pm
PolackTony wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 pm

I’m Not claiming they didn’t know each other but saying they were very close is another thing. Now D’Antonio and Lombardo were close. They were always around each other. DiFronzo I would like to know where the source was bc I heard the opposite
As the guy @Coloboy noted above, Lombardo and DiFronzo were arrested together in the early '60's. Coloboy states '61, however the arrest I'm familiar with was in '63, and was for the kidnapping and assault of a juice loan client. The mugshots were memorable as Lombardo and DiFronzo were making a faces in order to screw the pictures up. The case implicated both Lombardo and DiFronzo as part of a juice loan crew under Messino and Joe Gags running out of a Chicago Ave location (though as @Snakes and I discussed in another recent thread there is some confusion as to whether the cops actually wanted Lombardo for this or the OTHER Giuseppe Lombardi, out of EP).

How close exactly they were personally during or before this is anyone's guess unless someone has some info I haven't seen. Again, DiFronzo and Legs D'Antonio lived on the same block at the age when bad kids are running the street, and D'Antonio was a childhood friend (as I understand) of Lombardo. So they definitely would've known each other and probably ran together as punk kids. Plus, their parents were all Baresi in the same neighborhood (meaning DiFronzo and Lombardo of course. Jimmy Legs was Napuletan'). For all we know their parents knew each other from back in the old country (wouldn't surprise me).
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

We are talking about the Outfit over here, a Mafia organization only interested in cash so it didnt mean much if one individual was long time friends with another....everyone was in close connection since thats the point of the Mob, for example Chicago Heights guys constantly cooperated and were in close connection with members from the south, west and north factions, and vice versa...they were all some type of friends, like for example Alex used to fool around with both Ricca and Accardo besides being much younger than the two and also having a lower position etc. but by the end of the day, if Ricca told Alex to kill his long time friend Ferraro....we all know the answer to that....everybody were/are "friends" in the Mob....the close connection between DiFtonzo and Lombardo is just another evidence regarding the close cooperation between the EP and Grand Av crews, nothing more than that
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Villain wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:48 am We are talking about the Outfit over here, a Mafia organization only interested in cash so it didnt mean much if one individual was long time friends with another....everyone was in close connection since thats the point of the Mob, for example Chicago Heights guys constantly cooperated and were in close connection with members from the south, west and north factions, and vice versa...they were all some type of friends, like for example Alex used to fool around with both Ricca and Accardo besides being much younger than the two and also having a lower position etc. but by the end of the day, if Ricca told Alex to kill his long time friend Ferraro....we all know the answer to that....everybody were/are "friends" in the Mob....the close connection between DiFtonzo and Lombardo is just another evidence regarding the close cooperation between the EP and Grand Av crews, nothing more than that
Your right. Most knew each other. The Outfit was not a big organization. I do remember Nick Calabrese talking about doing a hit with Paul Schiro and they did not know each other. In fact, that murder that they committed together was the only time that they met each other.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

I think Outfit guys today know the guys in their crews, but limit exposure to other crews on purpose. They also competed with each other to a certain extent. I've read the Elmwood Park Crew used to get together with Cicero Crew once a year around the holidays for dinners. Beyond that, my understanding is that they really didn't interact much outside of a few legit business partnerships. I think in the 50s/60s/70s that was clearly different.